Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Playing a big dumb Barb might seem like it gets stale but they do get something cool/helpful at pretty much every level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Totem Barbarian is a cool concept and they're bad rear end.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Emphasize the flexibility by using points over slots. Now people who are familiar with Final Fantasy's MP system can quickly understand how spellcasting works.

I miss psions...

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They had a niche, flexibility, but everyone else moved into it.

They need short rest spell recovery.

You should just have access to all Metamagic in the way that Monks have access to all of their Ki abilities. Also you should be able to swap out spells on long rest at the cost of sorcery points. ALSO you should be able to use SP to have advantage on magic saves. And also a big mansion full of hot waitstaff.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Zurreco posted:

You should just have access to all Metamagic in the way that Monks have access to all of their Ki abilities. Also you should be able to swap out spells on long rest at the cost of sorcery points. ALSO you should be able to use SP to have advantage on magic saves. And also a big mansion full of hot waitstaff.

As long as wizards are the best at casting spells in any given situation

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Wizards are inherently sexier and smarter so there's your win

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hollismason posted:

Totem Barbarian is a cool concept and they're bad rear end.

I might have said it here already but my barbarian has been one of my favorite characters because the GM worked with me to banter back and forth with my sword. It was an enchanted "sword in the stone" that didn't think the barbarian was the one to pull it out, so the barbarian ripped the whole drat thing out with a chunk of stone stuck to the end of it and now he uses it as a mundane warhammer that hates him for ruining the prophecy.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Sorcerers have never quite risen to the level where I wouldn't prefer them as just a Wizard subclass. Exception granted for 4e where at least they were a different role, so they were doing a different thing. Otherwise "You appear to all but the most educated of observers to be identical to a wizard, the difference is basically academic and mechanical" is exactly what a wizard subclass should be handling.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

primaltrash posted:

I may not have been clear, i literally meant that I think its stupid that (raw) wizards only ever learn 5 cantrips.

With Tasha's they can swap out a cantrip for a new one every long rest at 3rd level. You might not remember every cantrip right now, but you can figure out how to cast any of them in a couple hours.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Cool. Sorcerers get the most cantrips

Except wizards who get all of them

theironjef posted:

Sorcerers have never quite risen to the level where I wouldn't prefer them as just a Wizard subclass. Exception granted for 4e where at least they were a different role, so they were doing a different thing. Otherwise "You appear to all but the most educated of observers to be identical to a wizard, the difference is basically academic and mechanical" is exactly what a wizard subclass should be handling.

If they can distinguish between two base classes who basically do the same thing and dont use magic (Barbarian and fighter), it's very odd they can't distinguish two classes who do use magic.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

bird food bathtub posted:

I might have said it here already but my barbarian has been one of my favorite characters because the GM worked with me to banter back and forth with my sword. It was an enchanted "sword in the stone" that didn't think the barbarian was the one to pull it out, so the barbarian ripped the whole drat thing out with a chunk of stone stuck to the end of it and now he uses it as a mundane warhammer that hates him for ruining the prophecy.

This is amazing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Sorcerers have the RP niche of their power coming more from their bloodline at least. Any hick with glasses can be a wizard.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Where can I just find a simple list of 5th Edition Adventures and their recommended levels. The DND website is trash on saying " This is for these levles"..

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Sorcerer and Warlock should just be merged, Warlock does the Sorcerer's original gimmick of being a brute force caster way better.

bird food bathtub posted:

Sword in the Stone, complete with stone.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I don't think the Sorcerer and Warlock occupy the same space at all. I consider the Warlock to be what some have called an "Arcane Martial," rather than a full caster, and their spells are there to supplement their Eldritch Blasting, and not the other way around. (I also think Warlocks differ from other casters in that damage spells are probably not the best use of their limited spell slots.)

That's one reason why I was playing my Warlock as more of an Eldritch Blast gunslinger than a caster. (Well, that is, until the campaign abruptly ended after four sessions. (Which I was honestly okay with for a few reasons.))

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 13, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
^^ that makes sense to me

Or make warlock a sorc subclass. Instead of magic from within you made a pact with a higher power. Other sorc subclasses give a focus on elemental powers or something. Also remove a bunch of spells from the wizard list, they can keep the utility and nerd poo poo and let sorcs be the blaster elemental power masters.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Hollismason posted:

Where can I just find a simple list of 5th Edition Adventures and their recommended levels. The DND website is trash on saying " This is for these levles"..

Beyond has the levels in the Product description from my memory.

But here I can just do it for you.

Tyranny of Dragons: 1-15
Princes of the Apocalypse: 1/3-15
Out of the Abyss: 1-15
Curse of Strahd: 1-10
Storm King's Thunder: 1/5 to 11
Tales from the Yawning Portal: 1-3, 3-5. 5-8, 8-9, 9-11, 11-14, 14+
Tomb of Annihilation: 1-11
Waterdeep Dragon Heist: 1-5
Waterdeep Dungeon of the Mad Mage 5-20
Ghosts of Saltmarsh: 1-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-7, 7-9, 9-11
Baldur's Gate Descent into Avernus: 1-13
Dragon of Icespire Peak and Extras: 1-5 or 1-11 with extras
Icewind Dale Rime of the Frostmaiden: 1-10
Candlekeep Mysteries: 17 Adventures each covering one level with the exception of 2 4th level adventures.
Wild Beyond the Witchlight: 1-8
Journeys through the Radiant Citadel: 13 adventures that each cover 1 level with the exception of the first which covers 1-2
Dragons of Stormwreck Isle 1-3
Call of the Netherdeep: 3-13
Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen: 2-12
Light of Xaryxis from Spelljammer: 5-8
Keys from the Golden Vault: 13 adventures going up to level 11 with two adventures covering levels 5 and 8
Phandelver and Below: 1-12
Turn of Fortunes Wheel from Planescape: 3-10 and 17+

The Upcoming Vecna Eve of Ruin is 10-20, and Quests from the Infinite Staircase is 1-13 over Six Adventures.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Morrow posted:

Sorcerer and Warlock should just be merged, Warlock does the Sorcerer's original gimmick of being a brute force caster way better.

That and stuff like the celestial Warlock and divine soul sorcerer feel redundant to me and might as well be blended together.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Outrail posted:

Also remove a bunch of spells from the wizard list, they can keep the utility and nerd poo poo and let sorcs be the blaster elemental power masters.

This is the key. For sorcerors to have a niche, there would have to be at least one (1) thing a wizard couldn’t do, so it’ll never happen

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Evokers being able to sculpt spells and leave allies untouched every time is so much better than the sorcerer having to spend a resource to only do half damage is a pretty good demonstration of the disparity.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

megane posted:

This is the key. For sorcerors to have a niche, there would have to be at least one (1) thing a wizard couldn’t do, so it’ll never happen

They have a niche: nepo babies. It's nepo babies: the class.

Do wizards get to be nepo babies? Well, yeah, a lot of them probably do, since normal people can't afford to go to wizard college, but it's not technically a class requirement.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
sorcerers are really interesting from a rp and narrative perspective

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I leaned into the nepo baby angle for my original setting and most of the world is ruled by a noble class of draconic sorcerers. Any draconic sorcerers are automatically eligible candidates for nobility so you've got potential you can offer up to a house that hasn't yet produced a worthy heir but you may also get a target on your back for the same reason.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Sorcerers used to be cool and fun back at their inception when they were the only ones with Flexible Casting, but now everyone just gets that as baseline. Now all you get is metamagic, but you get so few options, so little resources to use them and most of the options are crippled with massive limitations to boot.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Emphasize the flexibility by using points over slots. Now people who are familiar with Final Fantasy's MP system can quickly understand how spellcasting works.

It might be cool if Sorcerers had a sort of Blue Magic feature where they instantly learned any spell cast on them (from their own list, maybe). Maybe it could be a spellcasting ability check or something, I dunno, but it would give them a cool niche where they can potentially learn new spells in the middle of combat.

Of course, it’s antithetical to 5.5 moving away from monsters casting damage spells so it wouldn’t really work in the new edition…unless it was actual blue magic where you can learn monster abilities. Which you could do, you’d just need some algorithm based on damage and status effects to calculate the level of the monster ability.

Hra Mormo posted:

Sorcerers used to be cool and fun back at their inception when they were the only ones with Flexible Casting, but now everyone just gets that as baseline. Now all you get is metamagic, but you get so few options, so little resources to use them and most of the options are crippled with massive limitations to boot.

The very first house rule I implemented when I was getting ready to run 5e for the first time was “sorcerers get all metamagics” because limiting them seemed like the dumbest thing, given their clear inferiority to wizards.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 13, 2024

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
My clockwork soul sorceress with a hexblade dip can do some stupidly broken poo poo. Even before taking the dip I felt very comfortable with my sorc.

What feels poo poo is having too many save or suck spells when a lot of the bigger monsters have legendary resistances now and the rest of my group does not really trigger any saves. So I do save or half damage spells or just cast eldritch blast two times a turn.

The origin of my clockwork soul powers inspired our DM to do a cool sidequest where we have to go back in time and prevent some wizard from gaining power to get me off the hook with the timecops. So that's cool.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Yusin posted:

Beyond has the levels in the Product description from my memory.

But here I can just do it for you.

Tyranny of Dragons: 1-15
Princes of the Apocalypse: 1/3-15
Out of the Abyss: 1-15
Curse of Strahd: 1-10
Storm King's Thunder: 1/5 to 11
Tales from the Yawning Portal: 1-3, 3-5. 5-8, 8-9, 9-11, 11-14, 14+
Tomb of Annihilation: 1-11
Waterdeep Dragon Heist: 1-5
Waterdeep Dungeon of the Mad Mage 5-20
Ghosts of Saltmarsh: 1-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-7, 7-9, 9-11
Baldur's Gate Descent into Avernus: 1-13
Dragon of Icespire Peak and Extras: 1-5 or 1-11 with extras
Icewind Dale Rime of the Frostmaiden: 1-10
Candlekeep Mysteries: 17 Adventures each covering one level with the exception of 2 4th level adventures.
Wild Beyond the Witchlight: 1-8
Journeys through the Radiant Citadel: 13 adventures that each cover 1 level with the exception of the first which covers 1-2
Dragons of Stormwreck Isle 1-3
Call of the Netherdeep: 3-13
Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen: 2-12
Light of Xaryxis from Spelljammer: 5-8
Keys from the Golden Vault: 13 adventures going up to level 11 with two adventures covering levels 5 and 8
Phandelver and Below: 1-12
Turn of Fortunes Wheel from Planescape: 3-10 and 17+

The Upcoming Vecna Eve of Ruin is 10-20, and Quests from the Infinite Staircase is 1-13 over Six Adventures.

Thanks! drat not much in that 8 to 12 range.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Wizards should be like the Alchemists from Full Metal Alchemist and Sorcerers like the Jujutsu Sorcerers from Jujutsu Kaisen.

Minus the punching and kicking from either side unless you spec that way.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wizards should be like the Alchemists from Full Metal Alchemist and Sorcerers like the Jujutsu Sorcerers from Jujutsu Kaisen.

Minus the punching and kicking from either side unless you spec that way.

Some advice I read about describing a character's appearance in text was to not say "she looked like Julia Roberts", but to describe what Julia Roberts actually looked like (and to never mention Julia Roberts in the description). In other words, saying someone looked like Julia Roberts won't mean anything to a reader who doesn't know who that person is. Similarly, I don't know anything about either of those two things you mentioned in that post (and no I won't "go watch those shows"), so could you describe what that actually means?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Wizards should be like anime and sorcerers should be like anime but a different anime.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Artificers are tiny gundams.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Some advice I read about describing a character's appearance in text was to not say "she looked like Julia Roberts", but to describe what Julia Roberts actually looked like (and to never mention Julia Roberts in the description). In other words, saying someone looked like Julia Roberts won't mean anything to a reader who doesn't know who that person is. Similarly, I don't know anything about either of those two things you mentioned in that post (and no I won't "go watch those shows"), so could you describe what that actually means?

Wizards should be like Julia Roberts in Mirror Mirror and sorcerers should be like Julia Roberts in Hook

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

hes saying wizards should do vaguely scientific and thermodynamically consistent utility magic and sorcerers should do completely ridiculous and flashy personalized battle magic

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
in fullmetal alchemist, edward elric can press his palms to a steel pylon and rearrange the molecules so the pylon becomes a sword, or ladder, or whatever, but nothing is created or destroyed, just moved. in jujutsu kaisen, kinji hikari can hit the jackpot of Idle Death Gamble granting Kinji a bonus of unlimited cursed energy for four minutes and eleven seconds, the exact duration of the Private Pure Love Train theme song "Admiring You", which plays throughout the round. The limitless cursed energy causes Kinji's body to reflectively use reverse curse technique to automatically heal any injury, making him temporarily unkillable after hitting a jackpot.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Wizards should be like Julia Roberts in Mirror Mirror and sorcerers should be like Julia Roberts in Hook
Warlocks are like Julia Roberts in that scene in Pretty Woman where they go into the fancy clothing store.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

How's that quote go about how beginner writers use said while intermediate experienced writers use ejacuate but great writers just use said? You could just ask for an elaboration ;)

In any case:

scary ghost dog posted:

hes saying wizards should do vaguely scientific and thermodynamically consistent utility magic and sorcerers should do completely ridiculous and flashy personalized battle magic

Is pretty close to what I meant. Wizards should generally come across as people who learn and advance their power from external academic and "magical realist" 'magia-scientific' principles and processes while sorcerers are people who advance as a result of their relationship and understanding of the 'self'. The point of the reference is in the FMA anime, Alchemists power (generally blah blah plot blah blah) comes from their scientific understanding and study, they need to like experiment and consider theory. Sorcerers in JJK like how I imagine Sorcs in D&D relies more on inherent properties of how they were born (i.e their bloodline, either you're from of one of the Great Families or you're nothing), but can still be differentiated based off of hard work vs natural talent.

To use another anime reference, in the anime Frieren you have a "Mage" who can learn other mages signature spells just by empathizing with the person and understanding them via intuition; this is a sort of emotional intelligence that fits with how I think most people imagine Sorcerers to be like. But most mages learn spells by finding grimoires written by other mages which is more close to how people imagine wizards. Either by copying someone else's homework or doing the hard work of experimentation and SCIENCE to develop something new and unique which can spread and proliferate by being taught in a school.

So there's clearly a conceptual difference between Wizards (Nerds), Sorcerers (Geeks), and Warlocks (Discord Kittens wanting free emotes).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Hot take: the wizard and sorcerer mechanics are backwards. Wizards should fully understand and master a short list of signature spells to such depth that they can combine and modify them and make them do things they ordinarily couldn't, while sorcerers should have a broader range of eclectic phenomena they can call on but not truly control.

(The make ritual or whatever spell from One isn't it, by the way.)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Caphi posted:

Hot take: the wizard and sorcerer mechanics are backwards. Wizards should fully understand and master a short list of signature spells to such depth that they can combine and modify them and make them do things they ordinarily couldn't, while sorcerers should have a broader range of eclectic phenomena they can call on but not truly control.

(The make ritual or whatever spell from One isn't it, by the way.)

I think this is what Wizard subschools are for on the wizard side of things but I don't think it makes sense for Sorcs because naturally "practice makes perfect".

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think this is what Wizard subschools are for on the wizard side of things but I don't think it makes sense for Sorcs because naturally "practice makes perfect".

Sorcerers aren't the ones that practice, though. Wizards are supposed to have studied spellcraft theory for ages (the thing wrong with this is a la carte level multiclassing but that's the thing wrong with a lot of things in 5e). Sorcerers are the ones to whom the magic just happens.

And tangentially, schools don't restrict or specialize anything, school mechanics are just one of the ways 5e is more lenient on wizards than any edition or variant before. Banned/restricted schools are out and a lot of the subclasses don't even interact with spells of their school or nominal spec, they just give you extra powers on top of the whole wizard spell list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Someone once summarized it thusly: Wizards are basically a class with the biggest list of features and they get to pick two every level instead of being prescribed some from the class and getting to pick a particular complementary set as a subclass.