Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Spoilers for Episode 5

''97 Staff Discussing Cassandra Nova

She is not responsible for EP5 but the creators love her and sounds like she might turn up later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

howe_sam posted:

Did you try opening up your eyes?

This is a beautiful avatar/post combo.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

People have been saying that this episode proves that Val Cooper is Mystique...

That had never occurred to me, but as soon as I saw it I realized she could just as easily be a different shape-shifter, someone as far beyond mutants as they are beyond us.

Anyway, I was really impressed with how good that episode was, for more reasons than I can really pinpoint or say why, so I hate to nitpick it, but...
since Roberto isn't out as a mutant to his family, why is he letting himself be shown on TV at the school for mutants on a TV special about mutants?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
dumb question but when they are showing the fireworks over Genosha the night of the party is that the outline of a Watcher?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

dumb question but when they are showing the fireworks over Genosha the night of the party is that the outline of a Watcher?

Yup

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mooseontheloose posted:

I was wait, did I just see what I did? And a whole lot of other people said the same thing.

As soon as I saw it I knew exactly what was about to happen.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I just caught a joke from Emma Frost

Sebastian Shaw: "Whatever is the matter Dr Cooper?"
Emma Frost: "Is it your dress?"

HAHAHAHA!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

Is the postcredit scene going to be the X-Men meeting Captain Carter?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nunsexmonkrock posted:

HAHAHAHA!

Catty, mean girl Emma is my favorite.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think it could go either way, and it'll probably have a lot to do with whether or not theres are any mutants directly responsible for what just happened

Magneto as a hero or anti-hero is definitely a capital T Thing, but at the same time, never underestimate the willingness of long-running stories to revert back to an old status quo

There was already a Magneto IS right sign before the big kaboom. Flashbacks to that old “Magneto was Right” shirt I wanted to buy when I was young.

Speaking of…. This episode was literally something 10-11 year old me would have had his mind blown away by and both loved and hated. I marked out so hard at a million things in this episode. I giggled at Nightcrawler, I audibly gasped at Magneto and actually shed a tear at Gambit. Silly as crap but well done show. I’m pushing 40 but l, when I sat there in front of my XBox, became that 10 year old kid again. Say what you will about nostalgia mining and whatnot, but the writing was solid. Did not expect this at all.

Also count me among the people who was impressed they created a perfect 90s sounding song only to find out it actually was Ace of Bass. Good call 97. Thanks thread!

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 13, 2024

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
TIL Ace of Bass made more than one song, thanks Xmen

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Interview with directors of '97 Specifically linking to the ending discussing a tragically overshadowed great moment from EP5.

Apart from the "as a kid you like Wolverine, as an adult you like Cyclops" claim which I've heard many times and which I feel, while sorta true, is usually intended as an insult, I enjoyed hearing his talk about this great moment.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
one thing I actually appreciate the mention of nuclear testing by the way because the whole post world war 2 children of the atom fear is often forget with these characters.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I was finally able to sit down and watch the whole episode...

gently caress

Fuuuuuck

gently caress gently caress
gently caress

fuuuuuuck

It went from full on telenovela drama to...drat.
gently caress.
I spent the whole time in the edge of my seat. Leech broke my heart! I couldn't help to just break in tears during that whole scene and then we get Gambit's. Goddammit. That was so drat well written! I hope we do get a follow up to The Watcher.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
With Gambit gone who is going to make me want to gently caress dudes?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Lammasu posted:

Have you considered that maybe this was the deal they struck with Ron DeSantis?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

nunsexmonkrock posted:

HAHAHAHA!

all of Emma's lines was slaying. From asking what a human was doing on the counsel, her remark at Madalyn's mind drift ect.

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

Lammasu posted:

Don’t worry looks like Nightcrawler might be joining the team.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

NikkolasKing posted:

Interview with directors of '97 Specifically linking to the ending discussing a tragically overshadowed great moment from EP5.

That was a great moment. It's rare you see Scott lose his poo poo.

Having to do a deeply insulting "I'm actually a person" fluff interview when he's just lost his newborn child and the mother of that child was a clone who also left and his actual wife has been away for a period of time neither he nor her actually knows has just come back after having who-knows-what done to her by one of the worst monsters in the world.

And now he's supposed to pretend the woman he lived with and loved for at least a year means nothing to him and it's perfectly fine that the original Jean immediately moves into his life like she was never gone and he's supposed to be okay with that, too.

All of this when he was a hair's breadth from getting away from all of that bullshit and it's no wonder he wanted to put his fist through the camera.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
That reporter wasn't picking up on him having lost a child at all was she? Unless she was really looking for a reaction.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yes!!!!!

https://twitter.com/vandynesjanet/status/1779194919040819466?t=HYXCTLJb5TJp88HA4nYhcA&s=19

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

:allears: Superb. No notes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

We did it folks :patriot:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

When your boys got date night

:allears:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I think it's more funny if they're not dating, just besties.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I think it's more funny if they're not dating, just besties.

I am fine either way, but I eventually want just a straight up romcom set in the MCU. Like no battles, no laser/magic fights. Just the two of them navigating their situationship with quirky best friends who are also superheros.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

swickles posted:

I am fine either way, but I eventually want just a straight up romcom set in the MCU. Like no battles, no laser/magic fights. Just the two of them navigating their situationship with quirky best friends who are also superheros.

Yeah where's our Millie the Model movie Feige?! :argh:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Johnny Storm was (is?) an infamous womanizer, if the FF movie does well we can have the supe dating spin-off!

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Shoehead posted:

That reporter wasn't picking up on him having lost a child at all was she? Unless she was really looking for a reaction.

I thought it was actually more probative; you know, “the records show you have a kid and yet I don’t see your kid and you seem messed up about it. There’s no records of anything happening to your kid. What did you do to your kid, man? Oh, you sent him through a portal to the future?”

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

nice continuity detail that the reporter interviewing Scott, is the same reporter on TV in the beginning of the first episode of the first OG X-Men series

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The writer of Dr Strange (and Avengers, and X-Men now) posts in BSS sometimes, he's absolutely aware of stuff like how popular that pairing was.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

vote_no posted:

I thought it was actually more probative; you know, “the records show you have a kid and yet I don’t see your kid and you seem messed up about it. There’s no records of anything happening to your kid. What did you do to your kid, man? Oh, you sent him through a portal to the future?”

When he said they don't have any kids, I think a normal person who knew what she did would read that as him saying that his kid was dead and he really didn't want to talk about it. Trish was clearly trying to provoke him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

When he said they don't have any kids, I think a normal person who knew what she did would read that as him saying that his kid was dead and he really didn't want to talk about it. Trish was clearly trying to provoke him.

The scene is a hair clunky, as he does phrase it weirdly: "Our son is... gone" would achieve that without having to elaborate with "because he went to the future with our cyberpunk cowboy friend". And some of Scott's rant feels very tangential to the trigger. Like, it definitely scans to me as DeMayo going "I need this to cut together good in a smear piece for the finale" and working backwards rather than the conversation being totally organic. Still works well and the emotional truth reads, but could've been handled a bit more deftly IMO

I do enjoy the earlier bit of the interview though when he's clearly very uncomfortably trying to be Scott Summers: All-American Hero Guy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gaz-L posted:

The writer of Dr Strange (and Avengers, and X-Men now) posts in BSS sometimes, he's absolutely aware of stuff like how popular that pairing was.

Yes, but he didn't write that. Those panels are from a Venom What If series, and not the current Doctor Strange series

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Couldn't they make a season two of She-Hulk and just have her stay in human form when not superheroing?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

GateOfD posted:

nice continuity detail that the reporter interviewing Scott, is the same reporter on TV in the beginning of the first episode of the first OG X-Men series

Trish Tilby appeared a lot in the X-Men comics around that time. She dated Beast.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Couldn't they make a season two of She-Hulk and just have her stay in human form when not superheroing?

I suspect that would get the same reaction from Feige et al as 'Daredevil show where he's a lawyer for the first 6 episodes' (not to say that the revamped version won't be better, just I didn't think that was as big a death knell as the internet at large catastrophised it to be)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Give me She-Hulk S2 but with her just painted green and padded like Lou Ferrigno

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Soul Glo posted:

Give me She-Hulk S2 but with her just painted green and padded like Lou Ferrigno

Just paint Katy O’Brian green

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

That sounds very Deadpool so they need to get a painted green Maslany in D&W.