Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the principal and the pauper is an overhated episode and is actually very funny and pokes fun at the concept of continuity in a cartoon that doesnt have strong continuity to begin with which was the point of the episode.

That episode had a completely moronic, nonsensical and unnecessary plot that bothered me so much, i held animosity for it for probably a decade after it aired.

... and I never missed a single rerun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Your childhood game was Simpson hit and run and mine were the strange iterations of jurassic park games on PC and the Sega megadrive. We are not the same

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mine was jumping around in the difficulty select level of Quake on my dad's work PC and jumping in the lava repeatedly.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
lego racers 2 ftw

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Samovar posted:

I can assure you, this attitude is way older than a century. Hell, I'm reading a book about the history of ritualized streetfighting in Renaissance Venice which is basically if WWE, Fight Club and stupid-rear end gender roles were combined. And it was actually real!

You can't just say that and not share the title, because that sounds amazing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I...I genuinely thought all the praise for Hit and Run was a meme.

Also re: the show, my realization over the years has been that I prefer the earlier seasons for being more sappy and heartfelt. The later ones are obviously packed with good jokes but even before any designated turning point in the quality it's clear that the writers pivoted away from keeping things grounded and the stories are just a framework to hang gags on and ultimately I don't enjoy that as much.

The conceit of Principal and the Pauper totally works but it's also so drat cynical...which is pretty much what the show was like at that point. It doesn't line up with the blurry, averaged out perception of the show, but in context it's not really a big leap at all.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

The Simpsons Game where you play DDR against God is vastly superior to Hit & Run in every way, and it's hosed up that people have convinced themselves otherwise.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

John Murdoch posted:

I...I genuinely thought all the praise for Hit and Run was a meme.

Also re: the show, my realization over the years has been that I prefer the earlier seasons for being more sappy and heartfelt. The later ones are obviously packed with good jokes but even before any designated turning point in the quality it's clear that the writers pivoted away from keeping things grounded and the stories are just a framework to hang gags on and ultimately I don't enjoy that as much.

The conceit of Principal and the Pauper totally works but it's also so drat cynical...which is pretty much what the show was like at that point. It doesn't line up with the blurry, averaged out perception of the show, but in context it's not really a big leap at all.

Principal and the Pauper is weird because you can interpret the main conceit as cynical but how it actually plays out is actually mostly heartfelt just with one mean gag at the end. The whole town decides that it doesn't matter what backstory Tamzarian-Skinner has, they like him anyway and want him to stay. Of course they accomplish this by exiling the "real" Skinner which is where the meanness comes in

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The real Skinner shouldn't have been a dick, and Springfield is home to lunatics aplenty.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

The real Skinner shouldn't have been a dick, and Springfield is home to lunatics aplenty.

We talked about this in another thread but, something that I realized upon re-watching the episode years and years and YEARS later, was that the show doesn't just want you to feel for the fake Principal Skinner, but to actually hate the real Principal Skinner. except the problem with that, is that the transgressions that he commits are not in any way serious enough to warrant any deep hatred. after all, what does he do exactly?

- he gets Miss krabappel's name wrong and is awkward around women in general
- he doesn't join his mom on Silhouette night, because he wants to go out

that's it. that's literally it. and yet for years I genuinely used to think that him getting literally run out of town on a rail was completely justified, when it's actually pretty hosed up.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Its the Rex Banner ending all over again, except not funny.

Alaois posted:

nobody bought those ones though

I bought all 3 and wondered even back then why there never were more.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Unperson_47 posted:

Virtual Springfield is the best Simpsons game

this

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Your childhood game was Simpson hit and run and mine were the strange iterations of jurassic park games on PC and the Sega megadrive. We are not the same

Mine was Mario Land for the Gameboy because I asked for Wario Land and the disinterested cashier at zellers didn't care enough to confirm whether or not that was the game I wanted and I was too much of a coward child to correct her.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

This is a chill series of someone using Unreal to remake Simpsons: Hit And Run.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3gCaTLUSAUuk6mTBjNc1dwjBf4NiFcEf

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Virtual Springfield and Hit & Run are mediocre games that are elevated by an authenticity to the show and are best played with the intent to immerse yourself in a virtual world more than to play a video game. Those South Park RPGs were similar, a different genre (and a threadbare implementation of it) but they felt like you were in an episode of the show except with the ability to roam anywhere. I recently completed that open world Adventure Time game and I think it sits in the same basket too. The Simpsons Game is an example of a licensed title that's arguably better at being a game but you're mostly travelling through linear environments unique to it and it's not immersive in the same way.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my childhood Simpsons game was bart vs the space mutants.

I hate that game.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Captain Invictus posted:

I hate that game.

Yeah, that game loving stinks.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

They shoulda made a Simpsons game that was like the first Toejam and Earl.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think principal and the pauper is a dumb episode because they spent years building up these characters and giving them consistent backstories. 'oh but its a show with no continuity' then why did you commit to these bits. it just feels like spite at people for caring too much about the things they made. like the writers were embarrassed to have made characters people actually liked legitimately instead of just as joke machines. its a sort of reflexive self-consciousness thats really common in american pop culture in the 90s and beyond and its kinda embarrassing to see onscreen. its also not an especially funny bit.

however people also care too much about the episode.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Virtual Springfield is a terrible sequel to Virtual Hydlide

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Weird Sandwich posted:

Principal and the Pauper is weird because you can interpret the main conceit as cynical but how it actually plays out is actually mostly heartfelt just with one mean gag at the end. The whole town decides that it doesn't matter what backstory Tamzarian-Skinner has, they like him anyway and want him to stay. Of course they accomplish this by exiling the "real" Skinner which is where the meanness comes in

The cynical part is that it takes all that mostly serious drama over the episode's runtime and then crumples it up and throws it away for the "we're just gonna sweep this under the rug and go right back to the status quo" joke.

It's got the same stink that every joke of that type has which is "thing is dumb, we'll point that out by doing that thing verbatim" just means you're another example of the dumb thing you were attempting to comment on in the first place. Combined with hitting the audience that way at the very end of the episode, it was always going to be hard to stick the landing. The show was no stranger to screw the audience moments by that point, but it was kind of an entire screw the audience episode. So I can kind of understand why it became a tentpole moment for folks.

That said, the show had already reinvented itself a multiple times over by then and I agree syndication made identifying those eras basically impossible after a certain point. A personal example: Up until recently if you asked me what season Marge Be Not Proud was from, I would've been like well, obviously not season 1, but clearly like a season 2 or 3 kind of thing. Maybe season 4? Idk. Nope, season loving 7, where it was an absolute throwback to the schmaltzy early series stuff!

Anyway, they should've had the guts to pull out the real surprise reveal, which is that Marge is a rabbit. :colbert:

Endorph posted:

i think principal and the pauper is a dumb episode because they spent years building up these characters and giving them consistent backstories. 'oh but its a show with no continuity' then why did you commit to these bits. it just feels like spite at people for caring too much about the things they made. like the writers were embarrassed to have made characters people actually liked legitimately instead of just as joke machines. its a sort of reflexive self-consciousness thats really common in american pop culture in the 90s and beyond and its kinda embarrassing to see onscreen. its also not an especially funny bit.

Yeah also this.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 13, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My childhood games were Goldeneye and Aliens Vs Predator 1999. AvP actually kinda holds up.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Was I just really lucky that my childhood games were Quake, Blood, and Fallout 2? Like, they were all genuinely good games instead of just me being blinded by nostalgia?

That said I only managed to complete Blood two years ago because the ghost enemies scared me as a child.

Maybe one of these days I will also play the first two Thief games to completion.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 13, 2024

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Endorph posted:

Yeah I think that's why I wasn't a huge fan of it either.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CelticPredator posted:

My childhood games were Goldeneye and Aliens Vs Predator 1999. AvP actually kinda holds up.

The best thing about AvP is the developers deciding the professional actors they hired for the in game video bits being too serious and redoing all of them with people around the office instead.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
My childhood video games were the Magnavox Odyssey 2 ones. I don't have any nostalgia for them...

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
My dubious childhood game was Conker's Pocket Tales, but I never thought it was any good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fil5000 posted:

The best thing about AvP is the developers deciding the professional actors they hired for the in game video bits being too serious and redoing all of them with people around the office instead.

Its very funny but honestly, really sucks. I have fond memories of the original people and that worked so well. I wish the one I have via steam could just have the OG's but whatcha gonna do.

My dad and I played an ungodly amount of multiplayer too. First time I ever played online. It was wild being up at like midnight at 11 years old playing as an Alien with people all across the world. Great times.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Okay I did have some dubious favourites as a child. Might & Magic 8, because getting to have a dragon on your team that can fly and absolutely kills everything is a great power trip, and Ultima 9, the only Ultima game I ever played and it's like the precursor to GTA and Elder Scrolls and every 3D open world game that lets you discover things through exploration.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I was pretty sheltered and timid as a kid, so most of my favorites were things like the Humongous Entertainment catalog (which don't get me wrong, are fuckin' legit) and other random edutainment stuff. Who else badly tried to enjoy Mind Maze in Encarta? The strange turning point of note is that back in the day one of the moderators of a Myst community I was in was a middle aged mom who also had a passion for competitive shooters. So inspired by her, I ended up jumping from Myst...to Unreal Tournament and Quake 3. :rock:

Big turn around from the time I was reading through the manual for my brother's copy of Quake and when the bestiary part showed the basic knight enemy in its grainy, angry glory and described the Death Knight as, and I quote, "This particular canned meat tends to open you up instead." I was creeped right the gently caress out.

When I was really young we didn't have any early consoles beyond a Genesis (I was terrible at Sonic) that was eventually replaced by a Saturn of all things (I got really good at Virtua Cop). My real heyday for non-PC stuff was unsurprisingly ignited by the Gameboy and things like Kirby and Pokemon. And of course, Goldeneye on N64.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 13, 2024

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

mycot posted:

Hey. Battle for Bikini Bottom is better than Hit and Run. Probably.

it beat getting a jimmy neutron game ill tell you that much

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Does anybody remember Simpsons' Road Rage? The crazy taxi-like? Pretty poo poo but lol

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Captain Invictus posted:

I hate that game.

I owned that game for a decent chunk of my childhood and never got past the first level. The fact that they mapped jump and run to the same button should be all anyone who's never played the game needs to know about it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

KingKalamari posted:

I owned that game for a decent chunk of my childhood and never got past the first level. The fact that they mapped jump and run to the same button should be all anyone who's never played the game needs to know about it.

Yeah, it's one of those games I wish I'd just rented and not spent precious energy and resources convincing my parents to just buy it outright.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Calling something overrated is the least interesting thing to say.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sardonik posted:

Does anybody remember Simpsons' Road Rage? The crazy taxi-like? Pretty poo poo but lol

I had Road Rage and The Simpsons Game, and both times I think I meant to get Hit and Run but either parents or I got confused.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 13, 2024

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Endorph posted:

remembering the scott the woz video where he talks about his childhood games and its literally just every spongebob and cartoon network game ever made and at age 15 he finally got to play mario galaxy

drat that must have blown his head clear off

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
as a child everyone always had multiple lovely licensed games and two or three good games

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 13, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I had Star Trek Encounters on the PS2. The control scheme was a nightmare trying to target lock, maneuver and shoot simultaneously.

I had a lot of licensed games. The Narnia one that was a knockoff of the Return of the King game was pretty funny. Peter and Edmund massacre their way across Narnia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

It's hard for me to pick just one or two games as my childhood games, but the first games I ever played were Street Fighter II and Mario Paint, when my brother and I were gifted them for Christmas when I was three along with a Super Nintendo.