Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
it pretty much works like this:

int/sorcery - can be your only damage source no problem
faith/incantations - can be your only damage source but is better as a supplement to a melee build
arcane - basically worthless unless its supplementing melee damage in which case its broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dirk the Average posted:

True, faith is good and versatile, but I argue that Int is superior in most respects. There are only a scant few enemies that properly resist magic, and they're mostly in one location in the game. You can easily get access to Rock Sling beforehand, and the enemies that are resistant to magic get shredded by Rock Sling (honestly, most things get shredded by Rock Sling - it's a pretty ridiculous spell). Terra Magica is a great boost if you're up against a tougher enemy, there are charged spells that can scale with the relic/flask that boosts those for some downright sickening numbers as an opener, there are the Night spells that enemy AI doesn't react to, and the various sword spells that hit like a truck. And, of course, Comet Azur + flask will delete a good number of bosses.

And like I said, the stat investment for a lot of the weapons that scale with Int are fairly minimal. You also really only focus on one element, so you can toss everything into magic boosting unless you're in the rare situation where you need to deal physical damage instead.

And on top of all of that, the spell costs for many of the sorceries are relatively low, which makes it very viable to use to clear out large groups of enemies while adventuring through new areas. You can pick off a lot of ambushes before they even start.

The main downside of Int is that you really need to invest in it. If you're going for sorcery, you need to pump Int up to high levels so that spells start doing significant damage. The upside is that you don't really need to invest in faith, strength, dex, arc, or end. You just need the minimum stats for your weapon of choice, and enough vigor and mind to be comfortable for the region you're in. You take fewer hits fighting at range anyway, so the amount of vigor you need is less than you would otherwise need, but getting 40 by the endgame is still a really good idea. Granted, the other other downside is that the Queen's hat looks silly.

I mean sorcery isn't bad or anything, but why settle for merely not being resisted when you can instead always have access to damage types they're vulnerable to, including magic damage? And a tremendous variety in spells as the icing on the cake. Incants are now, after a couple reductions, not much more expensive to cast (and FP is only a real limitation for the first couple hours) and have the cheapest bread and butter spell in the game in Discus of Light, which is also just as available to sorcerers I guess but I never see any using it.

End game it feels like there's not really a competition, as incants have a handful of legit game breaking nukes that rival the long doot, which also scales off faith. Shard spiral is good at this but not AS good, and comet azure is a meme.

Sorcery has better variety and the overall lead in int-scaling weapons, which is why I've always viewed it as dedicated spellblade build with the option to be caster-only if you can deal with boredom

scary ghost dog posted:

faith/incantations - can be your only damage source but is better as a supplement to a melee build
arcane - basically worthless unless its supplementing melee damage in which case its broken

Arcane may as well be lumped in with faith/incants, as all the spells that require and scale off it require seals, but the requirements are so low as to be meaningless. It's really more of a sorcery version of incants, where lots of arc means you do a bit more damage with the dragon communism seal but you have a much more limited pool of spells to pull from because your faith is going to be lower than it would be otherwise. Of course you only need 27 faith to get pretty much any spells you'd want to use so it's not so restrictive as that.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
Arcane has finally made a STR/FTH build click for me. Like EHF said, with exactly 27 FTH I now have access to all the dragon breath spells which is basically enough spell damage for any normal enemy in the game. This combined with an Occult claymore and spiked palisade (and Mogh's spear if I feel lazy and just want an "I Win" button), and I'm able to smush pretty much anything. Granted, I didn't try this build until I was basically done with the game, so maybe it would feel less good trying to level with it. But at 165 with some gear, Arcane feels very strong.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm thinking of rolling into the dlc with a muscle wizard themed build. Probably end up Darkmoon great sword, never used it before so sure why not?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I did spiritcaller cave today and when there was the pause after defeating the godskin noble I freaked like there was actually gonna be a third boss and was so relieved that it was just a stupid snail

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Arcane may as well be lumped in with faith/incants, as all the spells that require and scale off it require seals, but the requirements are so low as to be meaningless. It's really more of a sorcery version of incants, where lots of arc means you do a bit more damage with the dragon communism seal but you have a much more limited pool of spells to pull from because your faith is going to be lower than it would be otherwise. Of course you only need 27 faith to get pretty much any spells you'd want to use so it's not so restrictive as that.

sure, but the real value of arcane is keeping melee damage competitive at high levels with bleed procs and occult infusions. if you have 99 in every stat youre still going to be limited by only having two hands. at high levels, this game only has three real builds: weapons, sorceries, or incantations. you can mix and match, and switch between them on the fly, but youll always be attacking with one of those three options, and 99 arcane is most useful for increasing weapon damage.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

scary ghost dog posted:

if you have 99 in every stat youre still going to be limited by only having two hands.

Starting to think Godrick was on to something

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I took a break from this game around the time I got to the Mountaintop of the Giants. I picked it up the other night and ventured forth across the snowy mountains, and came across a tomb.

gently caress that tomb. gently caress those cat statues with their bullshit year-long windup. gently caress those exploding jars. gently caress that entire place to death and back, I've died more in that goddamn tomb than I did against Margit or Radahn or battling my way through the Scarlet Swamp. There's a chest behind one of those cat statues and I don't think I'll ever get it. I don't know why those particular enemies give me so much trouble. I thought the giant hands were the bane of my existence, but that was until I ran into these guys.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

snoremac posted:

I did spiritcaller cave today and when there was the pause after defeating the godskin noble I freaked like there was actually gonna be a third boss and was so relieved that it was just a stupid snail

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOI04Mz9ahs

Audio seems to be gone from this YouTube now but this streamer had a hilarious moment where he kept dying over and over to it and then wondered why it was called spirit caller snail when the boss looked like a godskin or a crucible knight and then when he finally noticed the snail in the corner it clicked and he yelled out “It’s the snail that’s the snail!”

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Lucas Archer posted:

I took a break from this game around the time I got to the Mountaintop of the Giants. I picked it up the other night and ventured forth across the snowy mountains, and came across a tomb.

gently caress that tomb. gently caress those cat statues with their bullshit year-long windup. gently caress those exploding jars. gently caress that entire place to death and back, I've died more in that goddamn tomb than I did against Margit or Radahn or battling my way through the Scarlet Swamp. There's a chest behind one of those cat statues and I don't think I'll ever get it. I don't know why those particular enemies give me so much trouble. I thought the giant hands were the bane of my existence, but that was until I ran into these guys.

Those cats make me laugh because everything about it was designed to throw you off. The weird robotic movements, the 45° angle that they float up, lol

I just use an ash as a rodeo clown and do range attacks, I’ll never get used to their windups

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i like the stone cat guys because they do the floating up move so much you don't even really need to bother with the others, you can kill them pretty fast just dodging that one.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Lucas Archer posted:

I cant remember, but was it one of the mindfuck dungeons too?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Watchdogs become far easier when you realise you can jump over most of their worst bullshit. Their aerial slam spam attack and the 360 spin both become very simple to deal with if you're not trying to time roll iframes

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mustached Demon posted:

I'm thinking of rolling into the dlc with a muscle wizard themed build. Probably end up Darkmoon great sword, never used it before so sure why not?

Darkmoon Greatsword is amazing but it's closer to a pure INT weapon than a STR/INT hybrid, at least until NG+ when you have attribute points to spare.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

Lucas Archer posted:

That chest contains fire monk spirit summon. That whole route is a dead end wth no purpose. You wasted your time

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Lucas Archer posted:

You can deal with those watchdogs by luring them into range of the pillar that sprays night mist. Aggro the watchdog, run down the hallway to the safe spot in the middle, activate the pillar.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you throw crystal darts at stone dogs their operating system goes haywire and they start attacking each other.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

If you throw crystal darts at stone dogs their operating system goes haywire and they start attacking each other.

Does it have any advantage when you're soloing them? I've never tried the darts.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Huh the Highland Axe is found directly under the Godfrey painting in the dining hall of Stormveil, that's a cute touch

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SHISHKABOB posted:

Does it have any advantage when you're soloing them? I've never tried the darts.

No, it works like a ranged version of the shaman bone blades in Bloodborne. They will continue to attack you unless they have some other target.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
So that's the smart way to deal with the boss right that's Cat Statue plus a half dozen imps

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Antioch posted:

I went from Bloodhound's Fang to Radahn's Swords and now I'm a dual Rivers of Blood/Nagakiba bleed build. There's got to be at least one more "Horrible Noob" build I'm missing.

Dual cross naginatas with frost.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I wish ER brought had back some of the cool scaling types introduced in DS2 like dark and mundane.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Kingfish posted:

I wish ER brought had back some of the cool scaling types introduced in DS2 like dark and mundane.

hexes were interesting for sure. would like to see them return as well

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

burning souls to power spells would also be much cooler in a game where casting said spells didn't start pricing you out of summon ranges

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
It was fine. Soul memory is fine.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

for me to poop on.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

No Dignity posted:

If you're trying to platinum it, there's a weapon you want to grab in Leyndell at the tip of the dragon's spear before you clear Farum Azula if you haven't already

I think I got that (the Bolt of Gransax), so that's taken care of.

-

So the dual Great Stars have been very effective. I used them to fight the dragon on the frozen lake, and did it in two tries (though I read the dragon was weak to Strike attacks). I had one at +10 and another at +17, but towards the end of today's session, I got them both up to +18. Together they put out more damage than the Bloodhound's Fang +8, seem to attack a little faster, and do far more stagger damage.

I did Spiritcaller Cave and also had the scare thinking there would be a third boss, only to see it was just the dumb-rear end snail. Still, it scared me because I think I was out of healing at that point. Then I went through Guardian's Garrison, and got the Giant's Prayerbook.

Where I've hit another wall is against Commander Niall. I can dispatch the two summoned knights without too much fuss, but Niall's got his AoE attacks, which makes getting close to him dangerous, and he hits really hard, so I die in just a few hits. I haven't tried the fight as many times as Death Rite Bird, so maybe I just need to get the timing down, but I'm thinking now might be the point where I either need to grind for more levels (at Level 111), and/or respec.

scary ghost dog posted:

OwlFancier said that late game enemies weren't fun to fight in melee, but that Silura's Tree was good for doing ranged Holy/FTH damage. My thinking is that in focusing FTH over INT, I can use Silura's Tree and its laser beam attack, while still having other melee options to fall back.

What I'm wondering, though, is which I should focus more points into: STR or DEX? I was thinking STR, since if I was going to use the dual Great Stars to fight Malenia, then using an Ash that gives one or both the Heavy attribute would boost its damage.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Time to dick around in this game some more.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It took me like 6-7 hours but got solo Malenia down on my dlc wizard. :shepface:

Feels good.

What spells were you using? I am doing a mage build as well but haven't got to Malenia yet, just got through Radahn he is actually very easy as a mage. He doesn't gap close as much as I thought even without summons.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Ulio posted:

What spells were you using? I am doing a mage build as well but haven't got to Malenia yet, just got through Radahn he is actually very easy as a mage. He doesn't gap close as much as I thought even without summons.

I cleared Malenia as a pure int build recently and she does not react to Night's Comet casting at all. If you just sit slightly out of her standard melee range but not so far that she does a long stab/and or grab, you can basically walk backwards and chain cast her to death. Obviously you'll still need to deal with waterfowl dance somehow.

Phase 2 is the exact same except if you save your Wondrous Physick for a Comet Azur while she's blooming it's a lot faster/easier.

If you use a Spirit Summon, use Rock Sling as you can basically chain stagger her while she has aggro on your summon. Rock Sling pure solo doesn't work because while she doesn't completely dodge it, the damage to FP is way worse then Night's Comet.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

Where I've hit another wall is against Commander Niall. I can dispatch the two summoned knights without too much fuss, but Niall's got his AoE attacks, which makes getting close to him dangerous, and he hits really hard, so I die in just a few hits. I haven't tried the fight as many times as Death Rite Bird, so maybe I just need to get the timing down, but I'm thinking now might be the point where I either need to grind for more levels (at Level 111), and/or respec.

if you stay at range from niall, he will repeatedly do his jump attack which I found fairly easy to dodge, and then you can punish him. rinse repeat.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

OGS-Remix posted:

I cleared Malenia as a pure int build recently and she does not react to Night's Comet casting at all. If you just sit slightly out of her standard melee range but not so far that she does a long stab/and or grab, you can basically walk backwards and chain cast her to death. Obviously you'll still need to deal with waterfowl dance somehow.

Phase 2 is the exact same except if you save your Wondrous Physick for a Comet Azur while she's blooming it's a lot faster/easier.

If you use a Spirit Summon, use Rock Sling as you can basically chain stagger her while she has aggro on your summon. Rock Sling pure solo doesn't work because while she doesn't completely dodge it, the damage to FP is way worse then Night's Comet.

I feel like “this strategy is pretty good against Malenia as long as you figure out some way to deal with Waterfowl Dance” applies to most strategies.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Ulio posted:

Ranni's Moon comboed into 2-3 Adula's Moonblade gets you big damage into a frost stagger, run away because she'll waterfowl.

At range chuck Star Showers at her. She dodges Stars of Ruin but is quite happy to face-tank Star Showers and with the debuffs it does good damage.

When the Moon and frost debuffs wear off do it again.

Phase two unload a full bar of Comet Azure after any Scarlet Aeonia dives, if you're quick you'll just have time to do another Moon into Moonblades stagger combo after she gets up and she'll be badly hurt. Dodge like a mfer and hope she Scarlet Aeonia's again since you get the massive punish.

For waterfowl you just need to stay at range, which is where you want to be anyway. Run directly away for the first 2 bursts and dodge straight into her for the last. If there's a way to dodge it from up close I couldn't figure it out.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 13, 2024

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I think I got that (the Bolt of Gransax), so that's taken care of.

-

So the dual Great Stars have been very effective. I used them to fight the dragon on the frozen lake, and did it in two tries (though I read the dragon was weak to Strike attacks). I had one at +10 and another at +17, but towards the end of today's session, I got them both up to +18. Together they put out more damage than the Bloodhound's Fang +8, seem to attack a little faster, and do far more stagger damage.

I did Spiritcaller Cave and also had the scare thinking there would be a third boss, only to see it was just the dumb-rear end snail. Still, it scared me because I think I was out of healing at that point. Then I went through Guardian's Garrison, and got the Giant's Prayerbook.

OwlFancier said that late game enemies weren't fun to fight in melee, but that Silura's Tree was good for doing ranged Holy/FTH damage. My thinking is that in focusing FTH over INT, I can use Silura's Tree and its laser beam attack, while still having other melee options to fall back.

What I'm wondering, though, is which I should focus more points into: STR or DEX? I was thinking STR, since if I was going to use the dual Great Stars to fight Malenia, then using an Ash that gives one or both the Heavy attribute would boost its damage.

are you just blueskying in here? all of your speculation is logical and accurate. you dont need more advice

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Been playing this game recently as a Samurai and after going around Limgrave and doing various stuff, I ended up beating Margit on my first try (though at the skin of my teeth). I could go into Stormveil and try to eventually take on Godrick or I could go and keep exploring and getting new stuff.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Doing my traditional "restart souls game 2 years after giving up" regime, now further than I got first time through - just beat Red Wolf Radragon

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

scary ghost dog posted:

are you just blueskying in here? all of your speculation is logical and accurate. you dont need more advice

Yes, except I forgot to ask about a place to grind for souls, since I was told to get VGR to 60, and I don't think I can do that with the respec alone.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Goatson posted:

That chest contains fire monk spirit summon. That whole route is a dead end wth no purpose. You wasted your time

that place has the zamor set, which owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Yes, except I forgot to ask about a place to grind for souls, since I was told to get VGR to 60, and I don't think I can do that with the respec alone.

you can if you sacrifice some damage stats. you dont do any damage if youre dead, and damage stats contribute way less to your damage than weapon upgrades do. but, if you want runes, head to moghwyn palace; theres a ton of huge-payout rune items lying all over the ground, and upgrade materials besides