Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Also how's that stadium gonna make any concession money if most of the population doesn't drink soda, let alone $20 beers

the 25 soda and cookie shops I pass by on the way to work each day would beg to differ with your statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

If the Coyotes do keep their history the Jets years should go back to Winnipeg.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Blues are out, Vegas is in. West is set. Seeding to be determined.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://x.com/nhl/status/1778966441233916227

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

As a casual Coyotes fan who hadn't been to a game in some time due to :Glendale:, young kids, and work, the news about them over the last few days really sucks, especially because if they had actually, finally, been able to have made something work by winning the land auction (which itself had major uncertainty), then I would have been approximately 10 minutes from the future stadium and would have loved to have gotten back to going to games, but this time with my kids.

Where they were planning is probably just about the best possible location short of downtown Phoenix, given all the surrounding entertainment options, nightlife situations, development, and such.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

It hurts even more because I am a Tempe resident and ultimately voted against the arena. It was a bad deal and it would’ve almost certainly destroyed my neighborhood and community. It sucks rear end it had to go this way

Ah a NIMBY. Don't worry, I'm sure the spot where the stadium would have gone, instead will eventually have more high-rise apartments on it that further congests Tempe and makes it look like poo poo along the Salt River!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Uhh no it would be very difficult considering it's be more like 60-75 days and create a super uneven playing field for playoff vs non playoff teams. It would drastically change how the cap works.

No it wouldn't. You could compute cap hits over the entire year up to the next preseason if you really wanted to. Teams can't be over the cap at any given point in the season or projected to exceed it, and it's that latter rule that makes extending cap counting time past the very last day of the regular season possible if the league actually wanted to stop LTIR shenanigans (which they evidently don't, so this is all moot).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Geo Fixer posted:

the 25 soda and cookie shops I pass by on the way to work each day would beg to differ with your statement.

Yeah the Mormon elders said soda pop was fine awhile ago, it’s what lead to the Stanley tumbler craze

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
It's great that we have two genuine Arizona Coyotes fans in here, and it's even better that neither one of them has posted a single thing this entire season until now and both admit that they havent been to a game in like a decade. and one of them is sniping at the other one. lmao. come on, youre both lovely fans and you are better fans than the majority of coyotes fans, which is why they have to move.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/craigsmorgan/status/1778952274506871199?t=kijAcqtSHuHimaAiApftFA

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

fermun posted:

It's great that we have two genuine Arizona Coyotes fans in here, and it's even better that neither one of them has posted a single thing this entire season until now and both admit that they havent been to a game in like a decade. and one of them is sniping at the other one. lmao. come on, youre both lovely fans and you are better fans than the majority of coyotes fans, which is why they have to move.

It's extremely Not Cool to blame the abusee in an abusive relationship

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

They voted down a stadium proposal that is redeveloping a landfill with almost entirely private funding in return for a tax abatement and now we're getting a Tempe resident somehow moping that the team is moving. Nothing about that deal was bad for Tempe if you felt that an NHL team brought any value at all, it lost because most people don't give a poo poo about the Coyotes and apparently even the people who call themselves fans value the chance of future property taxes on wasteland over professional hockey

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's extremely Not Cool to blame the abusee in an abusive relationship

The past couple weeks, I've been listening to a bunch of talking heads blaming Thrashers ownership solely for their failure because the NHL is trying to drum up support for another team in another place where nobody will ever give a gently caress about it, and it's our responsibility as fans to not take that seriously. Bad ownership doesn't help bad situations but the best owners in the league couldn't have made that franchise work.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Canned Sunshine posted:

Ah a NIMBY. Don't worry, I'm sure the spot where the stadium would have gone, instead will eventually have more high-rise apartments on it that further congests Tempe and makes it look like poo poo along the Salt River!

Lmao, the OPs reasoning for voting against it is not what NIMBY means, you dolt.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Franchise Move Posting is like Off-season Posting 2 and I am here for it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Anything to distract me from the upcoming Caps flameout.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

They voted down a stadium proposal that is redeveloping a landfill with almost entirely private funding in return for a tax abatement and now we're getting a Tempe resident somehow moping that the team is moving. Nothing about that deal was bad for Tempe if you felt that an NHL team brought any value at all, it lost because most people don't give a poo poo about the Coyotes and apparently even the people who call themselves fans value the chance of future property taxes on wasteland over professional hockey

In fairness, the Coyotes didn't do themselves any favours in Tempe by doing the bare minimum in campaigning for the proposal. That just leads back into the franchise's impressively horrid luck finding ownership that is at all competent and how that invariably trickles down to personnel decisions. It's what undid the Thrashers too, only in that situation Atlanta Spirit actively didn't want the team. They let the team rot. Then they kinda just threw the team on the NHL's doorstep, locked the doors to the one viable arena in town and said "you figure it out." The NHL, hot off the heels of having to fish the Coyotes out of bankruptcy, wasn't willing to do that again and let True North take them to Winnipeg. It was a quick implosion as opposed to Arizona's slow burn, but it comes down to unstable ownership failing on and off the ice to cultivate their fanbases.

For my part, I don't think hockey in the desert is a foregone conclusion. I mean gently caress, the Vegas Golden Knights are very successful! They're also run by people who know and care enough to put fun, competitive teams together! Arizona never really had that, which is rough for any team's chances at building an audience but especially bad in a new and non-standard market you're trying to make in-roads in.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Matt Zerella posted:

Lmao, the OPs reasoning for voting against it is not what NIMBY means, you dolt.

But the Coyotes are playing in someone's backyard right? That place is tiny!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I had to look this up because I couldn't believe it would be that innocuous but yeah, the loving voters rejected a $2.3 billion dump redevelopment for the sake of future tax credits.

You fool, you take the arena every time. Even Alexandria was champing at the bit to give away decades of tax revenue for the surrounding redevelopment and you, tiny Arizona city, opted to keep the dump?

What were they thinking

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Tonights Ottawa/Montreal game is a must-lose for both teams, race for 5th overall pick is heating up after a couple Coyotes wins

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

I had to look this up because I couldn't believe it would be that innocuous but yeah, the loving voters rejected a $2.3 billion dump redevelopment for the sake of future tax credits.

It was 700 million in tax credits specifically just for the arena and then another 1.5 billion in vague promises with no guarantees from Mereulo, an actual con artist who can’t even pay hotel bills, that he’d develop the surrounding area that includes the school my partner teaches at and neighborhoods full of disadvantaged children who would’ve been gentrified out to the suburbs. I was at multiple city events where Xavier Gutierrez sneered at any objections like this. I’m not a NIMBY, it was a terrible deal once you got into the details and Mereulo is not to be trusted. Also I don’t know where it came from that I haven’t gone to a game in a decade either, I’m like right down the road from Mullett and have gone to several since they moved to Tempe & had season tickets when they were at Gila River.

Anyone who voted for it was a loving moron.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

You fool, you take the arena every time. Even Alexandria was champing at the bit to give away decades of tax revenue for the surrounding redevelopment and you, tiny Arizona city, opted to keep the dump?

What were they thinking

A fair amount of the opposition was against development in general, they didn't want anything as big as an NHL arena. Some people genuinely would prefer it to stay a landfill. Others think about what they'd prefer to have in that space without considering why it's been vacant as long as it has - it'll never be park land because they'll never approve funding, and it'll never be a modest development because it'll never make back its investment.

I don't begrudge a city for going "nah, we don't want an NHL arena in our city under any conditions," but then let's not make excuses

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Precambrian Video Games posted:

No it wouldn't. You could compute cap hits over the entire year up to the next preseason if you really wanted to. Teams can't be over the cap at any given point in the season or projected to exceed it, and it's that latter rule that makes extending cap counting time past the very last day of the regular season possible if the league actually wanted to stop LTIR shenanigans (which they evidently don't, so this is all moot).

If you would like no deadline trades because noone could accrue significant cap space then this works but I think that's much worse than what Vegas is doing and I'm an Oilers fan who's supposed to be real mad about it

This also messes with the ability of teams to get over the cap in the off-season as theyre allowed to do now.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Literally every business is run by psychopathic con-artists, that's the name of the game. That's the only way you get to that level of wealth.

If the objection you had was with the entire notion of building an arena in the area because it would fundamentally change the socioeconomic make-up of it then there's nothing the team could have really done to assuage you (and hell, that's a valid concern, not every nice city needs to jump to "major event location" status)

I know gently caress all about the current economic make-up of Tempe so maybe that was the right move for the community long-term but I look at what things like the PPG arena in pittsburgh managed to do (and is still doing) for what was a pretty stagnant part of the city, it gives me pause to think that's not the right move to take every damned time. But if a city is already flourishing maybe it's not as big a deal

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

If it didn’t involve Alex Mereulo and the city council had asked for anything more than a pinky swear he’d invest more than what it takes to get the arena I’d be a little more unsure of my vote but like his organization couldn’t even show up at the middle school that was closest to the proposed site except for one time they bought breakfast for some construction workers working on the school (?). If we are going to have an arena in our city the organization that wants it needs to do better for our kids. I asked Xavier if they’d be investing in youth hockey in the community, I was excited for an opportunity to coach, and he just kind of shrugged at me.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

It was 700 million in tax credits specifically just for the arena and then another 1.5 billion in vague promises with no guarantees from Mereulo, an actual con artist who can’t even pay hotel bills, that he’d develop the surrounding area that includes the school my partner teaches at and neighborhoods full of disadvantaged children who would’ve been gentrified out to the suburbs. I was at multiple city events where Xavier Gutierrez sneered at any objections like this. I’m not a NIMBY, it was a terrible deal once you got into the details and Mereulo is not to be trusted. Also I don’t know where it came from that I haven’t gone to a game in a decade either, I’m like right down the road from Mullett and have gone to several since they moved to Tempe & had season tickets when they were at Gila River.

Anyone who voted for it was a loving moron.

This is a "we wouldn't take it if it were free" argument, which I get. Whether the mixed-use development happens or not doesn't really matter economically because what they're getting is the abatement of taxes that aren't being paid right now anyway... but if you think development in that location is bad, sure, understood.

[quoted instead of edited, oops, guess I'll leave it]

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Hi, I'm gonna die today. See schedule and av

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

It is essential that the Islanders lose to keep the turtle derby going to game 82

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It'd be very neat if the Isles lost and fell to WC2 somehow.
How are they -20 goal diff on the season, what the hell are they cooking

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Rotten Cookies posted:

Hi, I'm gonna die today. See schedule and av

Who you gonna cheer for when they meet up in round 1

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I know gently caress all about the current economic make-up of Tempe so maybe that was the right move for the community long-term but I look at what things like the PPG arena in pittsburgh managed to do (and is still doing) for what was a pretty stagnant part of the city, it gives me pause to think that's not the right move to take every damned time. But if a city is already flourishing maybe it's not as big a deal

We certainly aren’t hurting for an entertainment district full of low paying concession and service industry jobs for people who have to commute an hour from where it’s cheap to live, that’s for sure.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

The Dirty Burger posted:

Who you gonna cheer for when they meet up in round 1

Whoever is behind.

7 games of those two would make for some excellent people watching on the Long Island Railroad.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

We certainly aren’t hurting for an entertainment district full of low paying concession and service industry jobs for people who have to commute an hour from where it’s cheap to live, that’s for sure.

Again, I think your objections are fair but at the same time there's absolutely nothing that could have reasonably been done on the team's side to sway you. The evil business man didn't go to a middle school? That's a weirdly specific objection for what I think is a broader "we're happy as we are, thanks" sentiment. And that's fine. Not every city needs to be developed to death

Only so many cities in the southwest, not all of them need a hockey team.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'm glad a billionaire didn't get a 2.5 billion dollar tax break. Sucks you lose the team but good on the people for telling that rear end in a top hat to kick rocks.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That's a much better summation than I can manage this morning

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The evil business man didn't go to a middle school? That's a weirdly specific objection…

I don’t know why this is particularly difficult to understand. The school has hundreds of kids, the parents of whom are all voters, as well as staff most of whom are also local voters. It does actually help to appeal to us, there’s a reason politicians run campaigns. If you aren’t going to even bother to show up to anything outside of a handful of events where the mayor and city council are present, it does say a lot to us about how invested you’ll be in the community if we approve your arena.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

We can all agree that Meruelo is poo poo and it's good he's selling to the upstanding Mormon billionaire

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

We can all agree that Mereulo is poo poo and it's good he's selling to the upstanding Mormon billionaire

That's a lovely argument. It's corrupt owners all the way down and that's how it was gonna go anyway. Let that money come out of SLCs tax base, good for Tempe residents deciding not to and telling him to gently caress off.

If there was a ballot measure to give Dolan a few billion for MsG2 I'd not only be voting against it but I'd be getting involved with community groups to try my best to prevent it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

“no billionaires are good and this is why you should let them do whatever they want” is certainly a take

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

None of this "up by 2 or 3" weaksauce. Up by one, season on the line, with two forecheckers pressing. Probably the gutsiest goal a goalie has ever scored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

That's a lovely argument. It's corrupt owners all the way down and that's how it was gonna go anyway. Let that money come out of SLCs tax base, good for Tempe residents deciding not to and telling him to gently caress off.

If there was a ballot measure to give Dolan a few billion for MsG2 I'd not only be voting against it but I'd be getting involved with community groups to try my best to prevent it.

It wasn't an argument, Meruelo does actually suck and I hope he never gets another team, I just figured I'd take the time to also make fun of the new SLC guy too