Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

lunar detritus posted:

Okay, I thought I was fine without mods but holy poo poo I hate replacing walls in vanilla rimworld. Replace Stuff seems to have been updated but there are enough bug reports in the comments that I'm wary.

working fine for me for a month in 1.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Gadzuko posted:

Revenants are insanely annoying.

i lucked out and an imperial sent me a free revenant spine plus 150 gold so i got to contain one without having to actually deal with it

(it came from a "imperial wants to send you something but isn't saying what and is being really cagey" type quest)

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 13, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You guys hear about this cube thing?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v3eUw3LEHg

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I got a join request from a blind healer who wouldn't talk about their mysterious past. Turns out their unnatural healing powers can fix old age related problems like frail, in addition to restoring missing toes! It can also turn your arm in to a fleshy tentacle that wiggles all the time. Probably worth it.

They'll also up and leave like a refugee quest though without any warning at all so don't assign them crafting bills or they'll walk off with their work unfinished.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I started a new game with only the anomaly DLC loaded, no other mods, no other DLC.

I have no idea how to start the anomaly content. Apparently there should be a marker on the world map or something. I can't find it though :(

Can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?

isndl
May 2, 2012

yoloer420 posted:

I started a new game with only the anomaly DLC loaded, no other mods, no other DLC.

I have no idea how to start the anomaly content. Apparently there should be a marker on the world map or something. I can't find it though :(

Look for a big monument on your colony map, not the world map. If you click on it there's a gizmo to order a pawn to investigate it.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

yoloer420 posted:

There should be something called a fallen monolith in the area you started in, you interact with it to turn on spooky mode.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

yoloer420 posted:

look for a structure on your map that looks like this:

it should start surrounded by asphalt and several skeletons, and getting near it will give you a popup prompt similar to the popup from getting near the ruined mechanostrider thing that starts you down mechanitor

e: to be clear, this is the local map, not the world map. it's a prespawned structure like the ruined mechanostrider.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 13, 2024

isndl
May 2, 2012

President Ark posted:

look for a structure on your map that looks like this:

it should start surrounded by asphalt and several skeletons, and getting near it will give you a popup prompt similar to the popup from getting near the ruined mechanostrider thing that starts you down mechanitor

e: to be clear, this is the local map, not the world map. it's a prespawned structure like the ruined mechanostrider.

It had a different appearance in my game, so I guess it has variant styles. Only one skeleton too.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

isndl posted:

It had a different appearance in my game, so I guess it has variant styles. Only one skeleton too.

If you wait about 5 days without touching it, it will go twisted and change.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Thanks! I had to start again. It's there this time though! I guess some weird bug.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

lmao

you can dump garbage down the fleshmass hole, apparently

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Dandywalken posted:

No whats it all about

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

President Ark posted:

lmao

you can dump garbage down the fleshmass hole, apparently

Time to suit up!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

President Ark posted:

i lucked out and an imperial sent me a free revenant spine plus 150 gold so i got to contain one without having to actually deal with it

(it came from a "imperial wants to send you something but isn't saying what and is being really cagey" type quest)

I got this quest and reward while trying to hunt down the revenant on my map, lol. Although it turns out revenants are way less of a pain when you remember that you have Molotov cocktails in storage and just start burning the whole map.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Welp I lost my whole colony to it got dark. I guess now I know if I'm doing anomaly I need power sources that never, ever have interruptions

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

yoloer420 posted:

Thanks! I had to start again. It's there this time though! I guess some weird bug.

even if you don't go engage the monolith the content is still going to come to you, but you won't have the base research to do anything with it but just fight and kill it with the base game's mechanics (as far as I can tell).

isndl
May 2, 2012

Tynan Sylvester posted:

The horrors will still arrive without activating the monolith, but at a much lower frequency to avoid overwhelming the normal play experience.

It looks like some events are also tied to monolith level, so you might see legally distinct zombies every once in a while but the big events shouldn't happen if you aren't touching the spooky rock.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Is there anything interesting in the DLC if you’re not interested in the theme or combat in this game? Or is it just a skip in that case?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

loving FINALLY!

I scrubbed the whole game install completely and was still having constant random errors everywhere.
After a couple of more hours of debugging, because I'm loving stupid, and figured out that it was RocketMan causing a black screen main menu issue and Everybody Gets One (or more specifically it's required library) that caused completely random UI issues depending on what other mods I had loaded, which is what made it so difficult to debug.

EDIT: gently caress. Nevermind. I'm getting a completely different error every time I restart even if I don't change anything.
Clearly the game doesn't want me to play. I guess I'll shelve it until later.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 13, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If I chop down these meat-eating trees, are they gonna sprout again somewhere else? Because they ended up in kind of an awkward spot on my current map

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can buy seeds of them occasionally to place them where you want. But equally I don't think they cause problems if you just leave them there.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, I just wanted my trash cans a bit closer to the base.

Thanks for the heads up on them being buyable!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh I just had a funny and horrible thing happen.

So my colony has been finding bits of grey flesh around for a little while.

I had my doctor surgically inspect everyone, nothing found. I had other people inspect the doctor. Nothing found. So I figured it might have been from a visitor or something and gone now?

Eventually I got a refugee lodging quest and one of them was a doctor, so when I found another bit of flesh I though "oh that guy's definitely an alien" so I had him inspected, nothing found...

I got the refugee doctor to inspect one of my colonists...

It turns out my entire colony is actually metalhorrors and the reason for this is that my doctor is also my frontline melee soldier and he got infected during an attack by some shamblers, and then proceeded to implant everybody else during the first round of surgical checks...

So the refugees have now been eaten by the horrors because they went to the colony where everyone is The Thing, and everyone is dying on the floor and the base is swarming with horrors.

It's a cool event but I'm not enormously a fan of how RNG it is. There's really nothing you can do about it if you make the wrong guess at the start and you do absolutely have to start with a guess. It's neat how it works narratively but it doesn't make for good gameplay at all I don't think.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 13, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Literally unplayable

Also, I just keep getting sightstealers from these provocation rituals, kinda boring

Edit: Ok, so this Pit Burrow spawned 1 enemy that died in one hit?

Very threatening

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 13, 2024

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Oh I just had a funny and horrible thing happen.

So my colony has been finding bits of grey flesh around for a little while.

It's a cool event but I'm not enormously a fan of how RNG it is. There's really nothing you can do about it if you make the wrong guess at the start and you do absolutely have to start with a guess. It's neat how it works narratively but it doesn't make for good gameplay at all I don't think.

Two countermeasures: It looks like you need two doctors - one to inspect someone, one to check that work, and then the first to check again. Also, medics should not be frontliners anymore.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Having a melee doctor was always a fair-sized gamble, since your melee pawns are typically the ones most likely to eat poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I'll probably just turn it off tbh, it doesn't seem like it has actually interesting gameplay, not least because I think the grey flesh just seems to spawn at random places away from colonists so I don't even think you can try and track who's generating it.

I think I would probably make it more of a resource consumption problem, able to fabricate detection supplies and cures for it but with some difficulty so you want to plan out a detection regime before you start curing it. I dunno. Honestly I don't actually think The Thing makes for a good videogame, it's a good narrative but I can't actually think of any game adaptation of it that sounds appealing to play.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 13, 2024

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Jack Trades posted:

loving FINALLY!

I scrubbed the whole game install completely and was still having constant random errors everywhere.
After a couple of more hours of debugging, because I'm loving stupid, and figured out that it was RocketMan causing a black screen main menu issue and Everybody Gets One (or more specifically it's required library) that caused completely random UI issues depending on what other mods I had loaded, which is what made it so difficult to debug.

EDIT: gently caress. Nevermind. I'm getting a completely different error every time I restart even if I don't change anything.
Clearly the game doesn't want me to play. I guess I'll shelve it until later.

Don’t forget to clear out your AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios folder too. Lots of mods store configs and caches there.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Took some time to get my base up-and-running before I engaged in the Anomaly stuff. Thoughts so far:

- new music is dope
- the alternate research progression is fun. I wish some aspects of standard research were also based on recovering tech to get a boost to the tree (though I hear there are mods that do something similar)
- quality of life upgrades are huge. I freaked out a little when I zoomed out and saw blue silhouettes, thinking my mods were wonky, but those highlights are helpful

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Enjoying Anomaly so far, but wanted to call attention to something that has long irked me: the main menu.

Adjacent to the core menu elements you have a secondary menu, adjacent to the most important buttons in the application that is Rimworld. All of the secondary buttons take you out of the game and aren't really helpful in the first place. Like a button to buy Tynan's design book, or to visit Tynan's very inactive twitter page.

Not even Sid Meier would engage in this level of self-insertional hubris. He made a really good game but games require some level of artifice and this Tynan needs to get out the way on his main menu.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I think I'll probably just turn it off tbh, it doesn't seem like it has actually interesting gameplay, not least because I think the grey flesh just seems to spawn at random places away from colonists so I don't even think you can try and track who's generating it.

I think I would probably make it more of a resource consumption problem, able to fabricate detection supplies and cures for it but with some difficulty so you want to plan out a detection regime before you start curing it. I dunno. Honestly I don't actually think The Thing makes for a good videogame, it's a good narrative but I can't actually think of any game adaptation of it that sounds appealing to play.

Yeah I kinda feel this way about the dehumanizing meme right now. Having all your pawns gradually become emotionless cultist fanatics is a fun idea but then you can't recruit or convert anyone thanks to the crippling social malus, so you're just kinda stuck with what you've got. The game isn't set up to work that way.

E: dehumanizing becoming a ritual you have them partake in, rather than a random roll, would make it perfect imo. Then you could have a charismatic cult leader bringing people into the fold and loving them up.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 13, 2024

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

dehumanization sounds like a really excellent thing for Fluid Ideology. You build up a base, fight off the anomaly horrors while building up your research, then your people decide to fully embrace the darkness.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Do you actually get anything from engaging with the monster show or is it basically just like activating a challenge run?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, so I attuned to the second tier of the Monolith, and a giant pit immediately opened up right next to my base. I still only have the two starting colonists, the ghoul, and a shotgun.
How screwed am I?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
This was a good a time as any to purge my mod list so I went from 5 minutes per start-up load(lol) down to sub 10 seconds, refreshed 4 mods at a time, quarantined any red text and back up to 100+ with a 2 minute load. Lots of them are already 1.5 ready and a few you can toss in anyway like Faster Smoothing.

Made a group of flightless downcast bird people who are otherworldly kind, quick and beautiful with regeneration but they explode on death and have a few key skill deficiencies they hope to overcome by creative recruitment. Going to make a beautiful desert oasis stop-over that hides a dark secret.

I respect modless play but things like "you can see terrain of a landing site before committing to finalizing the new game process" are so, so good I wish they were baseline.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Do you actually get anything from engaging with the monster show or is it basically just like activating a challenge run?

There's a new uh... metal-type is the best way to put it I guess... anyway, a new metal you can create from captured things and can make some new items from, a couple of guns is what I've seen so far. And tons of stuff on the weird monster research tree makes some kind of new item or lets you summon creatures to do various things. There's a lot of stuff.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I noticed a pawn that got downed during a social fight picked their weapon back up on their own later when they were able to walk again! Don't remember seeing that listed in the patch notes.

Gadzuko posted:

Yeah I kinda feel this way about the dehumanizing meme right now. Having all your pawns gradually become emotionless cultist fanatics is a fun idea but then you can't recruit or convert anyone thanks to the crippling social malus, so you're just kinda stuck with what you've got. The game isn't set up to work that way.

E: dehumanizing becoming a ritual you have them partake in, rather than a random roll, would make it perfect imo. Then you could have a charismatic cult leader bringing people into the fold and loving them up.

Ideology rituals with the recruitment outcome would work if you're not picky about traits. Word of Trust psycast should still work fine as well. Don't know if you can still get inspired recruitment with the penalty.

I managed to accidentally dehumanize someone when trying to convert them and they randomly flipped to an ideology with Inhuman after which they promptly broke. Good thing I mostly wanted them for combat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Doomykins posted:

I respect modless play but things like "you can see terrain of a landing site before committing to finalizing the new game process" are so, so good I wish they were baseline.

now this, this should be certain specific kinds of vanilla starts imo. Maybe researcher or rich explorer or somebody should get this, maybe some tribals, but crashlanded should not