Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I know The Unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Infamous hacker the unknown

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

they're bringing in sad oompa loompa. Nothing I saw about the Unknown

The ironic childless LA crowd is going to be queued up to take selfies with her, and she's going to have to make the same depressed face each time and dole out single jelly beans over and over, but without the irony

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Thesaurus posted:

The ironic childless LA crowd is going to be queued up to take selfies with her, and she's going to have to make the same depressed face each time and dole out single jelly beans over and over, but without the irony

There's a great observation about capitalism here

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm gonna take my imaginary friend group right up to that witch's castle and tell her what.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

redshirt posted:

I'm gonna take my imaginary friend group right up to that witch's castle and tell her what.

...are you talking about Wizard of Oz?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

...are you talking about Wizard of Oz?

And your little dog too!

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtube.com/shorts/3Q0UkyQyo1w?si=wiBYfQ9kpyC7ZZSO

I love you Craig

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

is this freckles person affiliated with wonka

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Poor Freckles, thought of Wonka and died

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Lazy_Liberal posted:

in that they are both Scottish yes.

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010
In order to be like the original experience, it would have to be much worse than the visitors expect it to be. So this time, a couple of jelly beans lying on the ground and a picture of Johnny Depp that was torn from an old magazine on the wall.

naem
May 29, 2011

Craig is the very heart of scotland thank you

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/THR/status/1797666349021581679

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

way to turn something funny into something awful

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
At least the oompa loompa girl is getting paid, I guess

https://x.com/THR/status/1797696349930164233

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

I’m physically ill

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Guys... the joke is kind of over... this might've made like a fun youtube video I guess, but... a whole rear end musical? :(

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

gas thread and all people involved this loving ordeal pls

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
there should be criminal repercussions for this kind of thing. too far. agree that gassing the thread is the right thing to do.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don't think society has run this joke into the ground hard enough yet.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I like Richie Cunning's version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjnIA2-kNXI

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I think being involved in that musical might actually be more embarrassing than being in the original exhibit.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The musical is terrible but if they sell full price tickets and have people show up to an empty warehouse with a cheap projector playing those youtubes then it could wrap around to being funny again

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Knormal posted:

I think being involved in that musical might actually be more embarrassing than being in the original exhibit.
Nah, I rate the Oompa Loompa lady - she's making the most of her 15 minutes of fame. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if she turned up as a contestant on Strictly Come Dancing later this year.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Yeah, can't blame the original participants for hustling and making as much money and connections as they can, especially as actors. People will stop giving a poo poo soon, take whatever advantage you can now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Absolutely. The performers got sucked into that poo poo show because they want to be performers. Taking whatever advantage they can get from it gives them their chance to show they have what it takes to make it as a professional, or the hard reality check that this is not a good fit for them and they should consider going into accounting or something.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

I'm actually glad this thread got bumped, because a similar event happened in Birmingham earlier this week, except this time it's Lego-themed

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/30/genuinely-a-con-lego-enthusiasts-bemoan-half-empty-room-at-birmingham-nec-event

quote:

An event advertised as the “UK’s biggest Lego festival” has been called a “complete rip-off” by attendees who described it as a half-empty room with piles of bricks.

Brick Fest Live, which took place at the NEC in Birmingham over the bank holiday weekend, was promoted by organisers as “the world’s largest hands-on Lego event” with more than a million bricks on display.

It promised that “children and adults will be amazed by lifesize Lego models”, and visitors would be able to visit a “marketplace where avid builders will be able to find rare collectibles not available anywhere else”.

But images of the event showed large open spaces in a hall containing one gift shop, an inflatable slide, a colouring-in area and tables with piles of Lego bricks.

There were also some large Lego builds, including a throne and some Pokémon characters, and an area where people could contribute a Lego build to a large mosaic.

Visitors described the event as “rubbish” and compared it to the Willy Wonka experience in Glasgow, which was supposed to be an “immersive experience” but left children in tears when they arrived at a sparsely decorated warehouse with plastic props.

One mother who attended Brick Fest Live told BirminghamLive: “It’s as bad as that Willy Wonka experience in Scotland, hardly anything there, both of my kids were so disappointed. I heard some people making official complaints.

“We thought it would be a nice treat for the half-term, we all left so disappointed. It was terrible.”

After previously running in Milton Keynes and Edinburgh, Brick Fest Live was at the Birmingham NEC from 25-27 May, with tickets starting from £20.

One couple, who are Lego creators and run a YouTube channel called Block Party, said they paid £40 each for VIP tickets for the event. Kevin Chapman said in a video called “Brick Fest Live at NEC Birmingham: Complete Rip-Off!” on their channel: “I can’t believe we’ve spent £80 to be here for this. We’ve been to bigger ones in primary school sports halls.”

He added: “How they can call it the largest one in the UK – are they defining that on the fact it’s the biggest room? Even though it’s basically empty. This is genuinely a con. I just want to protect other people from wasting their money and coming here.”

He criticised the event for featuring no independent traders or Lego builds, and said it felt like it was mainly geared towards children even though it was advertised as being for “children and adults”.

“A quarter of the room is just empty tables and piles of bulk Lego,” he said. “They can’t call themselves the UK’s biggest brick festival because there’s nothing here. This is rubbish.”

One comment under his video read: “Drove from Sheffield with my 10-year-old who was so excited to see rare Lego, custom mini-figs etc. Could’ve cried for him when we had walked around the whole thing and he asked but where the Lego stalls.

“Hopefully we all get refunds because they shouldn’t be allowed to get away with this blatant false advertising.”

Brick Fest Live, which has no connection with Lego Group, said in a statement: “In the last month, there have been tens of thousands of guests that have been through this event in Edinburgh and Milton Keynes, with children and families taking part in this interactive, hands-on festival.

“Where many have given us positive feedback, we are aware that Brick Fest Live is potentially not delivering for adult-level enthusiasts. We’re reading all customer feedback and dealing with comments.”

The NEC has been contacted for comment.

Behold the Dashcon ballpit Birmingham Lego pit

Deathslinger fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 4, 2024

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
oh no the lego pit is so sad

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Come on everyone, let's go jump in the lego pit.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
we need to do something about the uk

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Hey. HEY! You! Take your filthy shoes off while you're in the lego pit!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

R.L. Stine posted:

I blame Brexit

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

The MSJ posted:

I blame Brexit

No, we sucked way before Brexit.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
*smuggling a full Lego spaceship out of the pit in the soles of my feet.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

No, we sucked way before Brexit.

As the citizen of a former overseas British territory that was leached of its natural resources for centuries and only given independence because a communist threat but they put a government of right wing nationalist Anglophiles and business owners in power to secure their assets here, I actually agree.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

R.L. Stine posted:

you mean loser island?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Chief McHeath posted:

oh no the lego pit is so sad

Copy cats are putting on terrible events on purpose now

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Deathslinger posted:

Behold the Dashcon ballpit Birmingham Lego pit
Is that filled with some kind of giant knock-off Lego?

Also I strongly question their choice to locate it right near the Velociraptor pen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

quote:

Visitors described the event as “rubbish”
Lol