Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

It's going in an ATX case. None of those atom boards have nearly enough slots or ports for a real computer.

The problem with saying NAS is that you don’t imply the scale. The “atom” SoCs, ie silvermont, goldmont, gracemont, are in a ton of small NAS appliances.

So, what kind of storage speed are you looking for? Platters, sata SSDs, nvme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

shrike82 posted:

yeah i'd been vaguely aware of macs running at full speed on battery but an m3 pro on battery running faster than a desktop 13600KF is something special :eyepop:

Intel really isn't doing well in efficiency these days

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Speaking of inefficient, a friend gave me his old workstation: a Core i9-7980XE with 64GB RAM and an RTX 3070. Among other things I plan to use it to rip down my media collection en masse, but I assume even at stock that Skylake-X is going to swill power and the actual serving of that media should be reserved for a little ITX machine I was planning to build anyway, right?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hasturtium posted:

Speaking of inefficient, a friend gave me his old workstation: a Core i9-7980XE with 64GB RAM and an RTX 3070. Among other things I plan to use it to rip down my media collection en masse, but I assume even at stock that Skylake-X is going to swill power and the actual serving of that media should be reserved for a little ITX machine I was planning to build anyway, right?
Well, ffmpeg with CRF appropriate for the codec+resolution you're archiving at will be completely CPU-bound, as it can't be offloaded - so at least you're in a good place there.

Serving media is only a matter of a few MBps, and can be done on 100BaseTX - so the lower-power the better.
EDIT: Picking codec also matters for your media playback device - you'll wanna check that you can offload decoding to save power.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 4, 2024

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Well, ffmpeg with CRF appropriate for the codec+resolution you're archiving at will be completely CPU-bound, as it can't be offloaded - so at least you're in a good place there.

Serving media is only a matter of a few MBps, and can be done on 100BaseTX - so the lower-power the better.
EDIT: Picking codec also matters for your media playback device - you'll wanna check that you can offload decoding to save power.

Yeah, I’m targeting the codec to work with the Roku Ultra and iPads that’ll be ingesting most of the video, and I have a PCIe-plugless Intel Arc A380 that’ll live in the completed machine in the event on-the-fly transcoding is needed. I may spring for a 13400-ish chip because the difference in idle power over a quad P-core only chip is trivial, and it’d be a lot more flexible under load. Thanks for the advice.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 4, 2024

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

The problem with saying NAS is that you don’t imply the scale. The “atom” SoCs, ie silvermont, goldmont, gracemont, are in a ton of small NAS appliances.

So, what kind of storage speed are you looking for? Platters, sata SSDs, nvme?

A bunch of hard drives with capacity to add SSDs later. The size of the thing doesn't matter, though I'd prefer it not double my power bill.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hasturtium posted:

Skylake was when Intel introduced the modern CPU-controlled fully dynamic frequency & power states, including parking idle cores. So it shouldn't be that bad.

It's not gonna be as efficient at idle as a modern system, and in particular the mobo for a HEDT probably consumes a lot more idle power than an ITX. Putting in a new PSU might help -- idle efficiency is much more of a thing now.

So, I dunno but probably only an extra 15-25 watts? Small enough that the ITX will probably never pay for itself in saved power. Big enough that you might still feel bad about it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i went for power efficiency and then undervolted my new build because even though the extra few dozen watts dont necessarily directly translate into a huger power bill, they directly contribute to needing additional climate control for me, which is a substantive expense

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

A bunch of hard drives with capacity to add SSDs later. The size of the thing doesn't matter, though I'd prefer it not double my power bill.

I’d just buy the biggest, easiest to work with case you can find and add pcie SATA expansion cards to whatever ATX mobo and cpu pairing is cheap. That is unlikely to stress any modern retail CPU.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

I’d just buy the biggest, easiest to work with case you can find and add pcie SATA expansion cards to whatever ATX mobo and cpu pairing is cheap. That is unlikely to stress any modern retail CPU.

Yeah that's why I was looking at combo deals with i3s. Of course used parts are an option, too, but new stuff when there's a good sale isn't much more unless I'm willing to go way back.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Skylake was when Intel introduced the modern CPU-controlled fully dynamic frequency & power states, including parking idle cores. So it shouldn't be that bad.

It's not gonna be as efficient at idle as a modern system, and in particular the mobo for a HEDT probably consumes a lot more idle power than an ITX. Putting in a new PSU might help -- idle efficiency is much more of a thing now.

So, I dunno but probably only an extra 15-25 watts? Small enough that the ITX will probably never pay for itself in saved power. Big enough that you might still feel bad about it.
Intels Hardware P-states, and specifically the Energy/Performance Preference (which is a scale from 0 to 100, with 0 being most performant and 100 being most energy efficient) is quite powerful - and the PDF for the slidedeck is quite interesting reading.

15-25W isn't exactly nothing, especially if you live in a country where electricity costs over $0.50/kWh - it'll depend on how long the system lives, but my last HTPC lasted a good decade.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Worf posted:

theyre gonna have u subscribe to your CPU monthly, trust me

Not a subscription, but they essentially did try to sell CPU DLC to consumers 13 years ago (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Upgrade_Service?s=31) and appear to have a similar thing going on in their Xeon line now (https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-officially-introduces-pay-as-you-go-chip-licensing)

canyoneer posted:

Every time I hear a news article talking about huge investments in AI and how Nvidia is the world leader supplying silicon for that I think about Saffron Technologies.

Intel bought it in 2015 and had it run sorta autonomously with ~100 employees without smothering it to death in the way that giant corporations who buy small firms with bleeding edge IP usually do. It was profitable and cash-flowing as a traditional software product and SaaS models. It also drove local high performance computing demand, because when customers bought the software it took a lot of horsepower to run the product and Xeons were the right answer for it. There were also some great synergies in applications developed for and sold to external customers in manufacturing that could be reused internally in the fab process.

Sounds great, right? This is where the good decisions end.

3 years later they folded it into another internal AI group who immediately killed it and fired everyone because it was Not Invented Here. One of the axe-men said that they didn't see it turning into a $10B market in the next 5 years.

It's the Intel M&A pattern of buying into a nascent technology really early, getting impatient and divesting, then trying to buy back in too late after it already went big. If they didn't have an empty suit in the driver's seat and kept it going, Saffron would probably be a double-digit percentage of net income these days or at the very least could be sold for a tidy profit

There's probably a mountain of companies that have been killed off by similar pettiness over the years. Such a waste. :(

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I'm waiting for NVidia to "allow" people to upgrade DLSS versions across card generations for a scaling fee depending on which card you have

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
The current pay-to-unlock features in the Xeons are kind of specific to certain purposes (DLB, DSA, AAI, QAT). There are very few applications that make use of it, so it makes sense to let those customers pay extra to unlock. It makes more sense than making even more SKUs.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Beef posted:

The current pay-to-unlock features in the Xeons are kind of specific to certain purposes (DLB, DSA, AAI, QAT). There are very few applications that make use of it, so it makes sense to let those customers pay extra to unlock. It makes more sense than making even more SKUs.

Can you unlock them after buying a vanilla SKU though? I had assumed (perhaps wrongly) that Intel fused off the fancy features.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I honestly don't see the issue with unlockable CPUs. The alternative is the situation right now, where they just permanently fuse off the features instead without the option of upgrading in place.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Yes, most skus support on demand upgrade. The fact sheet mentions you can upgrade one time, either as you buy or after. Monthly license is also possible if you go through HPE or something.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Does anyone know why sometimes my CPU won't downclock itself when its idle or in low activity? Its making it stay pretty hot. It fixes itself for a few days if I restart the computer, but eventually it gets stuck fully sped up again. I'm on Windows 10, cpu is an i7-12700kf, motherboard is a MSI MPG Z60 Edge. Not sure where the best place to ask this is.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Node posted:

Does anyone know why sometimes my CPU won't downclock itself when its idle or in low activity? Its making it stay pretty hot. It fixes itself for a few days if I restart the computer, but eventually it gets stuck fully sped up again. I'm on Windows 10, cpu is an i7-12700kf, motherboard is a MSI MPG Z60 Edge. Not sure where the best place to ask this is.

Pretty much has to be software, not hardware. Either something is running on the CPU with enough load to up the clock, or windows has been switched to use the max power profile or set to 100% CPU.

You could check your BIOS version and update if a new one is available, just on the off chance, but I'm 99.9% sure it's software / OS.

edit: note that in task manager a program that's only using 5% of CPU can still be running a core at max -- with 20 cores it's only using 1/20th of the "whole" CPU.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 5, 2024

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

BurritoJustice posted:

I honestly don't see the issue with unlockable CPUs. The alternative is the situation right now, where they just permanently fuse off the features instead without the option of upgrading in place.

I definitely agree with this. We are currently considering upgrading the CPU on an older server. The server is working perfectly fine, but people want to use it with a software that requires significantly more cores. Upgrading the CPU or replacing the server are both options with annoying expense and hassle.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Klyith posted:

Pretty much has to be software, not hardware. Either something is running on the CPU with enough load to up the clock, or windows has been switched to use the max power profile or set to 100% CPU.

You could check your BIOS version and update if a new one is available, just on the off chance, but I'm 99.9% sure it's software / OS.

edit: note that in task manager a program that's only using 5% of CPU can still be running a core at max -- with 20 cores it's only using 1/20th of the "whole" CPU.

Task manager is also very deceptive for CPU usage, it's scaled relative to base clock. If your CPU is running over base clock, you'll be at 100% usage displayed in task manager well before you actually hit 100% usage in the way that most software will report.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Beef posted:

Monthly license is also possible if you go through HPE or something.

drat that would actually be useful if you just wanted to try something out without committing to a long-term purchase.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

BurritoJustice posted:

Right now, they have to leave enough features enabled on the CPU to make it attractive to everyone who they want to buy it. With on-demand features, they will lock everything not needed for the lowest possible target and you'll be buying 40 pieces of DLC just to get to the level of functionality you have now. Hardware microtransactions are as inherently bad for consumers as they are in software.

In the commercial market where hardware is being bought for a very specific purpose, it may be a good thing, but in the consumer market it we should resist it with vehemence.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 5, 2024

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Can't wait to be able to jailbreak an Intel motherboard to turn an i5 into an i9

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I think DLC for CPUs in the consumer space is a pretty unlikely thing: it would have to be stuff that costs little to no silicon real estate. Selling me a $200 CPU where I can pay $50 to unlock 2 more cores and $25 for AVX-512 is a complete non-starter because all that silicon has to be present and working. The current trend across the whole space is using chiplets to reduce production inefficiency.

It works in the enterprise space because the economies of scale are different, but even for xeons that literally have DLC I bet the features are relatively small in physical size.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

K8.0 posted:

Right now, they have to leave enough features enabled on the CPU to make it attractive to everyone who they want to buy it. With on-demand features, they will lock everything not needed for the lowest possible target and you'll be buying 40 pieces of DLC just to get to the level of functionality you have now. Hardware microtransactions are as inherently bad for consumers as they are in software.

In the commercial market where hardware is being bought for a very specific purpose, it may be a good thing, but in the consumer market it we should resist it with vehemence.

No, what's bad in this situation is them making the products poo poo independent of the option to unlock them.

A theoretical situation where they release the exact same CPUs, with the option of tiering them up later, is both technically possible and a straight upgrade for consumers. It's also better for ewaste, because instead of throwing away your old low end CPU when it becomes a bottleneck you just unlock it to a higher tier one and keep it for longer.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FuturePastNow posted:

Can't wait to be able to jailbreak an Intel motherboard to turn an i5 into an i9

That's been around for ages, even if you discount overclocking in general we've had the Athlon XP and the disabled third cores that you could connect with a pencil trace on whatever the thing was after that.

People even worked out how to put sticky tape on certain pins (out of thousands) on a CPU to get them to work on sockets that aren't supported, and to flash Intel chipsets that had the same socket but wouldn't let you use them.

The consumer side is the worst possible case for Intel to try and rent-seek with CPU features since there's a huge market willing to try to backdoor whatever they implement.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

People doing that doesn't even raise to the level of noise in Intel's sales. A fraction of a fraction of a percent of consumer revenue. If they get 0.5% of the best buy 14100 units to upgrade to 14400 at $30 or some hp desktop sales guy sells a fleet upgrade to a few thousand desktop hospital system to an it manager they'll dwarf the ten dorks who snip pins.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Klyith posted:

[...]

It works in the enterprise space because the economies of scale are different, but even for xeons that literally have DLC I bet the features are relatively small in physical size.

That's the case with the accelerators behind the unlocks. They are relatively tiny and sit outside the cores, behind a PCIe interface. The cost for Intel is more the in testing and continuous software support than the transistor budget. A feature like QAT used to be a DLC as well, as a separate card. They just moved it on-chip and kept the purchasing model.

I think that internal politics is another factor to consider. Each of those accelerators has a separate team that needs to justify their existence. Direct licenses carry more weight than diffuse benefits when bundled with another product.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i got this little 2-1/detachable tablet to mess around with, it has a 10th gen i5 in it. i understand it has locked voltages etc, but i can still disable turbo and put a multiplier limit on it if i want right?

i used throttlestop to try this situationally while using it for some older games and it seems like its working as expected

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know about 10th gen i5s specifically but even on locked Atom/Celeron I've successfully used ThrottleStop to cap the frequency yeah.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The socketed Meteor Lake-PS for the edge has launched, essentially the laptop parts in a socket. These aren't going to be consumer available (for example, search for the prior gen Alder Lake-PS i7 12800HL ...), but these are the first socket LGA1851 chips with Arrow Lake to follow later this year.

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-launches-first-core-ultra-cpus-for-lga-1851-socket-featuring-meteor-lake-architecture-for-the-edge

Although these aren't gonna be something you and I will probably ever see... I sorta think they would be amazing for a plex/jellyfin box. The 15W 165UL specifically is 2 P-core, 8-E, 2-LPE, but has the full dual AV1 decode/encode stack. Could make a really nice power efficient box with beefy AV1 transcode. Guess we're gonna have to wait for Arrow Lake to fill that niche.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If it's socketed there will probably be some weird Aliexpress motherboard for it in a year or two

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

FuturePastNow posted:

If it's socketed there will probably be some weird Aliexpress motherboard for it in a year or two

You won't even need the socketed one, there will absolutely be weird aliexpress itx motherboards with mobile cpus soldered onboard.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of MTL, Chips and Cheese has an analysis of the iGPU:

https://chipsandcheese.com/2024/04/08/intels-ambitious-meteor-lake-igpu/

tl;dr seems to be that it's very similar in performance to the 780m except for higher latency and slower INT addition.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cygni posted:

The socketed Meteor Lake-PS for the edge has launched, essentially the laptop parts in a socket. These aren't going to be consumer available (for example, search for the prior gen Alder Lake-PS i7 12800HL ...), but these are the first socket LGA1851 chips with Arrow Lake to follow later this year.

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-launches-first-core-ultra-cpus-for-lga-1851-socket-featuring-meteor-lake-architecture-for-the-edge

Although these aren't gonna be something you and I will probably ever see... I sorta think they would be amazing for a plex/jellyfin box. The 15W 165UL specifically is 2 P-core, 8-E, 2-LPE, but has the full dual AV1 decode/encode stack. Could make a really nice power efficient box with beefy AV1 transcode. Guess we're gonna have to wait for Arrow Lake to fill that niche.

SPI w/ THC :350:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

turning a big dial taht says "amps" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1778920540901941482

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

repiv posted:

turning a big dial taht says "amps" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1778920540901941482

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

It’s gotta suck being a motherboard maker, because outside of your spec sheet the only way to differentiate your product meaningfully from your competitors is to play catty-corner games with electrical tolerances to juice out extra performance. And for a while that worked, but CPUs are being built to such increasingly rigid tolerances that those old tricks increasingly impede system stability or even impact component lifespan. I had a feeling there might be a repeat of the AMD issue from last year that was killing some percentage of x3D chips, and while this seems less serious the old “throw amps at the problem” paradigm needs to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
No different than GPUs now and Nvidia/AMD have figured out to lock down their cards pretty well/tell their card manufacturers to stop it.