Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/JoelGoodling/status/1778978948510081109?t=of7bd_I7cY7P1tny0g8byQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/BenWrightATL/status/1778984351012716954?t=0RolKm5ikEE5mNI37LaUJg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

It wasn't an argument, Meruelo does actually suck and I hope he never gets another team, I just figured I'd take the time to also make fun of the new SLC guy too

Fair enough, i misread, my bad.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I do hope the Utah ownership does a better job of trying to run like an actual competitive NHL team.
Sincerely, the Coyotes have served the league as a sanctioned bad contract dumping ground - it's not impossible to think the loss of that dynamic has tangible repercussions to contract length/term for the upcoming seasons.

And I'd bet there's more than 1 GM out there thinking on a contract they front-loaded thinking "poo poo oh gently caress oh poo poo" right now

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, people usually just think about players, coaches, and hockey ops who are always moving around anyway as a general expectation of the gig, but every team is a business with its whole staff of people rooted in the area, and it sucks to learn your job is relocating or disappearing.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I just bought a Coyotes kachina logo hat because it's a cool logo and I have a feeling it's getting at the very least the logo and identity is getting mothballed for a very long time

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Devils Avocado posted:

Man, if Houston gets passed up for a team again in favor of Atlanta for a third time and Arizona after this debacle I can only assume Bettman had some sort of lost weekend in Montrose where all he remembers is someone saying “bueno, bueno…” over and over.

I don't see Houston going without a team much longer, but if the NHL still continues to dodge the city, it makes absolutely zero loving sense lol. it's painfully god damned stupid to not have a team there

Arizona moving is good, maybe now they can stop being a complete loving poverty franchise and can pay their bills

Still rooting for Atlanta to work too, tbh

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

You all reckon the inevitable 36 team league is going to be too diluted?

It seems like there's still plenty of talent stuck in the AHL and Europe but at the same time... that's 6 teams bigger than the NBA and MLB and 4 bigger than the NFL

is that over-expansion or what

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It'd be very neat if the Isles lost and fell to WC2 somehow.
How are they -20 goal diff on the season, what the hell are they cooking

My greatest fear is that the Islanders catch a hot goalie and run to the SCF, provoking coaches all over the league to enthusiastically adopt boring rear end minimal event hockey.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://x.com/Gambo987/status/1779011908018020361

Ehhhhh we'll see if anyone wants to actually work with Meruelo after all this, but that's still an interesting agreement if it's true

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Eric the Mauve posted:

My greatest fear is that the Islanders catch a hot goalie and run to the SCF, provoking coaches all over the league to enthusiastically adopt boring rear end minimal event hockey.

That is also my greatest fear.

My second is dying young. But number one is still the Islanders making the Finals.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

You all reckon the inevitable 36 team league is going to be too diluted?

It seems like there's still plenty of talent stuck in the AHL and Europe but at the same time... that's 6 teams bigger than the NBA and MLB and 4 bigger than the NFL

is that over-expansion or what

goalies and #1 D already feel pretty diluted. it's gonna get worse.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hockey should be everywhere and accessible to anyone so I think we should go to 46 teams

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Good soup! posted:

Hockey should be everywhere and accessible to anyone so I think we should go to 46 teams

It already is, thanks to the heroic efforts of somebody in probably Russia to provide the high quality and easily accessible streams that the NHL refuses to

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
More dilution would be great, want to see McDavid clowning former echl scrubs

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is that even remotely true anymore?

They are 5th worst in shots against per game and they are 18th in shots for per game.
Goals for and against per game they are middle of the pack in both.

They are a middling team and they have middling team event levels.

This isn't the Barry Trotz islanders anymore for better or worse (its worse). There are fast breaks for and against, defensive breakdowns on a regular basis and dumb plays every game. They have a horrid pk and have at times actually had a decent performing PP (not now though). I promise you, no one is copying the NYI even if they by some miracle win the cup.

That said Varly has been playing well of late and is one of the big reasons they are on this 6 game win streak. I'm glad that Roy recognized this and has stopped trying to force Sorokin in net with all the must win games they have had.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

I feel the league has enough parity that it could feasibly go up to 36 teams and be fine. To the point about goaltending already being diluted, we were kinda spoiled by an era of elite year-in-year-out goaltenders. Everyone knows the position is voodoo at best, I don't think adding two teams in that time hosed things up.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah as far as goalies go is it really so much that they've gotten worse or is it just that the talent level of the shooter is to the point where even a 4th liner can reliably pick a corner when the opening is there

I'm not at all a goalie expert so anyone more experience please jump in and correct but hasn't the position been relatively stagnant in terms of new techniques since Quick and the reverse VH stuff caught the world on fire

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cambria Bold posted:

I feel the league has enough parity that it could feasibly go up to 36 teams and be fine. To the point about goaltending already being diluted, we were kinda spoiled by an era of elite year-in-year-out goaltenders. Everyone knows the position is voodoo at best, I don't think adding two teams in that time hosed things up.

Hell yeah more Flyers-Pens style 9-7 games would rule.

e: Im not being snarky, I legit mean this. High scoring pants on head hockey is fun as hell to watch.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

shyduck posted:

I just bought a Coyotes kachina logo hat because it's a cool logo and I have a feeling it's getting at the very least the logo and identity is getting mothballed for a very long time

I will spend a stupid amount of money on the Kachina Clearance Event.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Matt Zerella posted:

Lmao, the OPs reasoning for voting against it is not what NIMBY means, you dolt.

I mean, I actually understand and partially agree with the sentiment (hell, what they were proposing for northeast Phoenix, at the corner of Loop-101 and Scottsdale Road, is to completely wipe out the existing native desert and build a 200 acre entertainment district when a giant entertainment district is literally 3-4 miles due west of it). I actually think it's worse to develop barren desert than, say, re-develop a barren old landfill site that just happens to be within a few miles of probably the wealthiest enclave of Tempe residents who already hate the various change that has happened but weirdly haven't done poo poo to stop any of it previously.

But "We didn't want them to redevelop an existing barren dump site because it would change the nature of our neighborhood" is basically the exact same core idea as someone not wanting any type of infrastructure in their neighborhood, but in case you need a refresher, here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIMBY

Plus, if you haven't been to or seen Tempe over the last 20 years, the Tempe Town Lake area and everything north Southern, has basically changed drastically as Tempe tries to convert itself from a college town centered around ASU, to a white collar job/tech job city, and pretty much the entire length of the south side of Tempe Town Lake (itself a huge environmentally-unfriendly waste of taxpayer dollars) went from open lots, parking lots for ASU, and the little bit of Mill Avenue's nightlife scene that was visible, to now 20-30 story office and apartment buildings that clog up the entire south side.

So "I didn't want to grift Meruelo" is perfectly fair/reasonable; personally I can't wait for State Farm to announce yet another massive office building in its place, or maybe if Tempe's lucky, instead they'll get like Waste Management to re-develop the landfill and move their headquarters there! Knowing Tempe, they'll instead try to lure Elon again and get him to build something on the landfill site for one of his fraud companies.

Ultimately, I doubt the NHL ever does return to AZ, because no-one is going to be willing to foot the bill for a public stadium anymore (which is good); I mean, the Diamondbacks have been teasing leaving for the last few years because they can't get Chase Field essentially re-built, and they've had at least a bit more recent success than the yotes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You shouldnt all be blaming each other when we know ultimately this is Auston Matthews fault.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Schremp Howard posted:

I will spend a stupid amount of money on the Kachina Clearance Event.

Is there going to be a clearance event? If the NHL is retreating from Arizona with their tail between their legs they might not be wanting to sell the remaining gear. Corporate embarrassment is one thing that can stop the almighty profit motive.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
weird to see most of the thread agree that the Caps move was bullshit that was never gonna fly, but then have folks and say that Arizona voters should have taken a poo poo deal from a poo poo owner for a poo poo pinky promise that would have absolutely failed to even meet a tenth of lovely expectations

also lol when Gutierrez got all pissy at some chalk and called it graffiti and vandalizing last year https://fronterasdesk.org/content/1844107/nhl-commissioner-again-pitches-new-arizona-coyotes-venue-tempe-voters

the NHL and Coyotes expected to be handed a new stadium on a silver platter and Tempe voters told them to kick rocks, good for them

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Aphrodite posted:

You shouldnt all be blaming each other when we know ultimately this is Auston Matthews fault.

Auston Matthews on his way to learn mormonese, clearly. All part of the master plan.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Bump it up to 40 teams but all play is 4on4 now and you only get to dress one goalie

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1779162634765381755

Wow the Leafs are basically Vegas

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Murray on his way back from the middle of nowhere to backstop a team to a cup out of nowhere and then fade back into obscurity for another five years.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nybble posted:

weird to see most of the thread agree that the Caps move was bullshit that was never gonna fly, but then have folks and say that Arizona voters should have taken a poo poo deal from a poo poo owner for a poo poo pinky promise that would have absolutely failed to even meet a tenth of lovely expectations

The primary difference is the caps already have a (still very good, quite modern) arena and a great location and the Coyotes are playing in a college stadium.
The Alexandria move was a downgrade in every way compared to being in the heart of DC, a hop over to the monuments, museums, or Chinatown

e:
and granted, from Alexandria's perspective that deal was a godsend because right now it's a bunch of office buildings that are absolutely dead come 5 o'clock
that arena would have turned them into a legitimate night time attraction in a heartbeat

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 13, 2024

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is the Utah Jazz arena hockey capable or we in line for yet another arena fight

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Yeah, people usually just think about players, coaches, and hockey ops who are always moving around anyway as a general expectation of the gig, but every team is a business with its whole staff of people rooted in the area, and it sucks to learn your job is relocating or disappearing.

One of the commentators on the game i watched last night (Wild vs Golden Knights, very painful) talked about how awful the move is for the on-site people like the arena workers who are going to lose their jobs which was surprising because up until that point i hadnt heard anything except for how it was going to affect the players and staff that would get moved. He also did it during the game too when people were actually watching & listening.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Delta Centre isn't a perfect fit as a basketball-specific stadium, but the prospective new owner of the Coyotes also owns that arena and the Utah Jazz. That's huge on its own since the Coyotes have always been tenants in somebody else's house. There are also rumblings of a new hockey arena being built as part of SLC's potential Olympic bid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nybble posted:

Or like, two people who are upset that they lost the team because of it where that was never a consideration with Washington.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

and granted, from Alexandria's perspective that deal was a godsend because right now it's a bunch of office buildings that are absolutely dead come 5 o'clock
that arena would have turned them into a legitimate night time attraction in a heartbeat

Old Town already does fine at night time and weekends though. The waterfront area is always packed out. Add in game day traffic to Route 1 with no apparent thought to improving metro or parking the plan was barely formed and thus DOA.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HOLY gently caress posted:

One of the commentators on the game i watched last night (Wild vs Golden Knights, very painful) talked about how awful the move is for the on-site people like the arena workers who are going to lose their jobs which was surprising because up until that point i hadnt heard anything except for how it was going to affect the players and staff that would get moved. He also did it during the game too when people were actually watching & listening.

Most of the arena staff presumably worked for the university because of Arizona's unique situation, but it's still going to be hundreds of people. Especially in this case where it's not a move or buying the Coyotes entity, it's the contracts being transferred.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Aphrodite posted:

Most of the arena staff presumably worked for the university because of Arizona's unique situation, but it's still going to be hundreds of people. Especially in this case where it's not a move or buying the Coyotes entity, it's the contracts being transferred.

Oh thats right, i forgot about it being ASUs arena. Im hoping them being university employees helps their situation even if its a little but uh not holding my breath (wouldnt be surprised if theyre classified as temporary positions in which case you usually get hosed over)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nybble posted:

Old Town already does fine at night time and weekends though. The waterfront area is always packed out. Add in game day traffic to Route 1 with no apparent thought to improving metro or parking the plan was barely formed and thus DOA.

That's a fair point. Old town definitely didn't need it, in practicality it would really been a hand out to southern Arlington and a drain on Old town which is cool as is and just goes to show that staying in DC was the right choice.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Canned Sunshine posted:

I mean, I actually understand and partially agree with the sentiment (hell, what they were proposing for northeast Phoenix, at the corner of Loop-101 and Scottsdale Road, is to completely wipe out the existing native desert and build a 200 acre entertainment district when a giant entertainment district is literally 3-4 miles due west of it). I actually think it's worse to develop barren desert than, say, re-develop a barren old landfill site that just happens to be within a few miles of probably the wealthiest enclave of Tempe residents who already hate the various change that has happened but weirdly haven't done poo poo to stop any of it previously.

This right here is such an insane mischaracterization of what happened and theres actual data to prove it, and its actually why the vote failed. All Mereulo and XG thought they had to do was court the wealthy residents of Tempe and it would be a slam dunk and thats why it failed. You can literally look at the data:

That band of green is the wealthiest part of Tempe and as you can see, by far supported it the most because theyre the least affected by it. Everyone else didnt want it.

Note the margins. Tempe 1st spent 35k to get a 13% or more aggregate no vote on each prop vs Tempe Wins 700k. TW and Xavier Gutierrez spent 700k having town halls at random breweries, doing direct mailings and talking to nobody but the richest people in Tempe and they got what they paid for. This isnt a small core of NIMBYs ekeing out a win to stop an arena, a massive amount of residents realized the raw deal for what it was and told them to pound sand.

E: we also had record turnout for this vote

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Oh also, the city spent $30,000 to spy on opponents of the arena:

https://www.azfamily.com/2023/10/14/attorney-general-investigating-whether-tempe-used-taxpayer-money-spy-citizens/

Corey Woods couldve just joined the MAFW Facebook group for free

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

heehee posted:

salary cap is good for parity. you're a dork if you think that's the same thing as being a scab lol.

If you think the owners are altruistically fighting for a salary cap for the good of Parity, you're an nitwit. Parity has not been appreciably better since the lockout, and the existence of teams like Coyotes blatantly flaunting the salary floor for years demonstrates that they don't give a rats rear end about parity, just suppressing wages.

Let's get back to everyone's favorite part of playoff season: Arguing about zoning in relation to the zombie team finally dying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Anyhow now that I dont have a team anymore go Stars get Pavs a cup I guess