Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
re: Hit and Run itself, I didn't know there was some online hype around it. It's fine. It's a functional GTA clone with The Simpsons on it. Maybe it just looks better in retrospect since we've moved so far past the era of GTA clones as cash-in properties? If a Simpsons game came out today like that it'd probably be a dumbass tower-climbing, collect-a-thon Ubisoft clone if it was going to have an open world. Maybe they'd put the Arkham-style combat in it but Homer does Wario butt slams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

homer (ultra instinct, awakened)

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I had the incomprehensible Animorphs gameboy game lol

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I'm old enough that my childhood games were incomprehensible c64 stuff that cost £1 and was coded by someone a couple of years older than me with names like Hero Of The Golden Talisman and Finders Keepers. Licensed games meant, 90% of the time, a side scrolling platform game made by Ocean

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The Hamtaro GBA games were gems

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao87Xm5xSTk

How to fight with katana or wakizashi and shield.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

mycatscrimes posted:

The Hamtaro GBA games were gems

ham ham heartbreak is a valentines day classic

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Remembering now that I had the Battle for Bikini Bottom game for GBA. Did not really care for it. There were a lot of bad platformers on the GBA. I didn't really have a ton of licensed games I think? Like, there was a Teen Titans beat em up game on the Gamecube that was fine, Mickey's Racing Adventure was a great Gameboy Color game that I wish had kept going even if I hated the Pluto maze sections. Wait, I just remembered that I had Shrek 2, Shrek Superslam, the first Incredibles game and One Piece grand Adventure.

Nuns with Guns posted:

re: Hit and Run itself, I didn't know there was some online hype around it. It's fine. It's a functional GTA clone with The Simpsons on it. Maybe it just looks better in retrospect since we've moved so far past the era of GTA clones as cash-in properties? If a Simpsons game came out today like that it'd probably be a dumbass tower-climbing, collect-a-thon Ubisoft clone if it was going to have an open world. Maybe they'd put the Arkham-style combat in it but Homer does Wario butt slams?

I feel like people haven't burned out on that type of gameplay, as mad as Detective Mode made people because they turned it on at the beginning of the game and always kept it activated. Plus, to be fair, Rocksteady doesn't even make those types of games anymore so I think it'd be welcomed.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 13, 2024

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I think the worst lovely game I ever got was some GBA port (update?) of the Eye of the Beholder game that had been adjusted to 3e D&D rules. I'd keep restarting it, clearing out the first floor of the dungeon, and then I couldn't for the life of me figure out where I was supposed to go next. I tried poking every wall to see if there was a secret door or something. I assumed after a while the game was bugged and gave up.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

cumpantry posted:

ham ham heartbreak is a valentines day classic
:hai:
anyone who can play that and not be charmed by the little hamster theme park is a monster

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

John Murdoch posted:

Who else badly tried to enjoy Mind Maze in Encarta?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. That was mystifying. I also had Eagle Eye Mysteries, the Zoombinis game, Star Wars Droidworks and most of the Ultima series (5 and 6 were my favorites).

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think the worst lovely game I ever got was some GBA port (update?) of the Eye of the Beholder game that had been adjusted to 3e D&D rules. I'd keep restarting it, clearing out the first floor of the dungeon, and then I couldn't for the life of me figure out where I was supposed to go next. I tried poking every wall to see if there was a secret door or something. I assumed after a while the game was bugged and gave up.

Oh it's only using the name, none of the old dungeons. It's just a top to bottom bastard game to play, with nothing tuned for the rules it's running on. You're basically doing RNG rocket tag until you can get a party a level or two up and if you've not got someone with skills to find paths... Eat poo poo, I guess?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I’ve been wracking my brain trying to think of what my beloved mediocre licensed game was growing up and was starting to think I just never had one. It just hit me. Disney’s Extreme Skate Adventure. It was a THPS knockoff, and as far as I can remember it ruled, and I have zero interest in verifying that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember really liking the Super Star Wars stuff for SNES even if it was a bit beyond me skill wise.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Does anyone else remember this piece of garbage

We never really got a remotely decent Back To The Future tie-in game, did we :smith:

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
best licensed game: star wars pod racing
worst licensed game: why did my parents keep buying me "toy story" licensed games. were they mad at me.

i played hit and run and i remember really enjoying it for the simpsons jokes more than the game itself. idk why but one of the first lines where homer excuses himself to "shuck some...corn" stuck with me lol

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cross-Section posted:

We never really got a remotely decent Back To The Future tie-in game, did we :smith:

The telltale BTTF game was basically fine

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Cross-Section posted:

used to see this game in the bargain bins all the time lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the toy story game on the SNES and Genesis was fine i beat it. hell the N64 game was cool too

fun hater
May 24, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the toy story game on the SNES and Genesis was fine i beat it. hell the N64 game was cool too

those games felt like sisyphean tortures to me but i also dont know why i didnt just stop playing them

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

fun hater posted:

those games felt like sisyphean tortures to me but i also dont know why i didnt just stop playing them

this was me and every simpsons game

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

my friend had that Not Donald Duck game. the one where he's playing like some tourist that can turn into a ninja

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

The telltale BTTF game was basically fine

Crap I completely forgot about it... and I played it

Probably should amend that to "a remotely decent Delorean-flying simulator" lol

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fun hater posted:

best licensed game: star wars pod racing
worst licensed game: why did my parents keep buying me "toy story" licensed games. were they mad at me.

i played hit and run and i remember really enjoying it for the simpsons jokes more than the game itself. idk why but one of the first lines where homer excuses himself to "shuck some...corn" stuck with me lol

The game is NOT called Pod Racing. You HAVE to call it Star Wars Episode 1 Racer. UbiSoft owned the trademark for Pod Racing because of their smash megahit PC racing game, Planet Of Death (P.O.D) that everyone remembers and loves.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Alaois posted:

The game is NOT called Pod Racing. You HAVE to call it Star Wars Episode 1 Racer. UbiSoft owned the trademark for Pod Racing because of their smash megahit PC racing game, Planet Of Death (P.O.D) that everyone remembers and loves.

i wouldnt race on the planet of death. that sounds scary

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

this was me and every simpsons game

Yep, Bart's Nightmare was the one I just kept renting and never getting very far and coming to hate it. I didn't even have the excuse of owning it. I just kept coming back by choice.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cross-Section posted:

Of course I know that game. That’s the Olive Garden music game.

fun hater posted:

Well presumably you were a child in the pre-smartphone but post-going-out-unsupervised age, which means your other choices were watching reruns or sitting quietly alone. Going for an extended period of time without new stimulus is a fate worse than death to a child.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Alaois posted:

And don't confuse P. O. D. with the band P. O. D. who's music appeared in the game Amplitude

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Alaois posted:

now THIS is Star Wars Episode 1 Racing!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Cross-Section posted:

I thought the Telltale game was supposed to be good? Possibly unhelpful as I think it's delisted.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Ariong posted:

Of course I know that game. That’s the Olive Garden music game.

Well presumably you were a child in the pre-smartphone but post-going-out-unsupervised age, which means your other choices were watching reruns or sitting quietly alone. Going for an extended period of time without new stimulus is a fate worse than death to a child.

i could have like. read a book.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

my friend had that Not Donald Duck game. the one where he's playing like some tourist that can turn into a ninja

Oh, you mean Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow? How could you ever forget this incredibly intuitive and not at all ridiculous name?

As far as licensed games actually worth playing from my childhood I remember there being a bunch of them on the Sega I'd rent that were actually pretty decent - Disney's Aladdin on the Genesis was great, even if it had a bit of an anti-climactic ending, Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and its sequel World of illusion were pretty great, as was the Ghostbusters tie-in game. The various Tiny Toon, Jurassic Park, X-Men and Looney Tunes games also tended to be decent to pretty good and I think we can all acknowledge Cool Spot was way better than a game-length ad for 7-Up had any right to be.

As for awful licensed games: I owned Spider-Man & X-Men in Arcade's Revenge and could only ever beat 3-4 levels and I had the Mighty Max game for the Genesis for some reason. I also repeatedly rented Superman 64 because I thought my inability to get past the first level was because I was bad at the game...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

fun hater posted:

i could have like. read a book.

Hey if you're an indoor kid back then, stubbornly playing a game you don't really like that much because you don't have many other options is pretty understandable. What else are you gonna do? Study? Clean your room?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

KingKalamari posted:

Oh, you mean Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow? How could you ever forget this incredibly intuitive and not at all ridiculous name?

As far as licensed games actually worth playing from my childhood I remember there being a bunch of them on the Sega I'd rent that were actually pretty decent - Disney's Aladdin on the Genesis was great, even if it had a bit of an anti-climactic ending, Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and its sequel World of illusion were pretty great, as was the Ghostbusters tie-in game. The various Tiny Toon, Jurassic Park, X-Men and Looney Tunes games also tended to be decent to pretty good and I think we can all acknowledge Cool Spot was way better than a game-length ad for 7-Up had any right to be.

As for awful licensed games: I owned Spider-Man & X-Men in Arcade's Revenge and could only ever beat 3-4 levels and I had the Mighty Max game for the Genesis for some reason. I also repeatedly rented Superman 64 because I thought my inability to get past the first level was because I was bad at the game...

the story behind this game rules because at the very last minute disney got cold feet and told them to not use donald's name at all for advertising or in the game

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

it was because donald duck wasnt hip

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Unperson_47 posted:

Yep, Bart's Nightmare was the one I just kept renting and never getting very far and coming to hate it. I didn't even have the excuse of owning it. I just kept coming back by choice.

Sometimes it was like that. You'd think this time it would magically be good if you could just get farther.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the best licensed game of the 90s was the Beavis and Butthead point and click adventure game, virtual stupidity. and i cant believe i have to be the one to bring it up!!!

fun hater
May 24, 2009

KingKalamari posted:

what on earth. what is this. i was trying to imagine what they were describing in my head and it was somehow not this, which is literally donald duck as a ninja

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the story behind this game rules because at the very last minute disney got cold feet and told them to not use donald's name at all for advertising or in the game

lmfao awesome

RareAcumen posted:

Hey if you're an indoor kid back then, stubbornly playing a game you don't really like that much because you don't have many other options is pretty understandable. What else are you gonna do? Study? Clean your room?

i should have spent more time trying to find the triforce in OOT using guides made by liars on gameFAQs

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

first of all maui mallard is a private detective he lives in hawaii like magnum PI but he is also a ninja named cold shadow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

The 7th Guest posted:

the best licensed game of the 90s was the Beavis and Butthead point and click adventure game, virtual stupidity. and i cant believe i have to be the one to bring it up!!!

thats a good game