Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Avalerion posted:

Do you actually get anything from engaging with the monster show or is it basically just like activating a challenge run?

There are tangible benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Word of warning that while the Researchers start is fun, it's almost as slow as the Rich Explorer start, since you'll have a lot of stuff to cover with essentially just two colonists.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

isndl posted:

Ideology rituals with the recruitment outcome would work if you're not picky about traits. Word of Trust psycast should still work fine as well. Don't know if you can still get inspired recruitment with the penalty.

I managed to accidentally dehumanize someone when trying to convert them and they randomly flipped to an ideology with Inhuman after which they promptly broke. Good thing I mostly wanted them for combat!

Oh yeah, I forgot about Word of Trust. That would work. Also I guess you could have the cult leader living in luxury with all the other pawns catering to their needs to ensure they never break, which is pretty thematically appropriate.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Man, you'd think that the developers of Vanilla Expanded mods would at the very least make sure that their mods work with each other before marking them as updated for the new patch but some of them completely break the game if you use them together with literally nothing else.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Word of warning that while the Researchers start is fun, it's almost as slow as the Rich Explorer start, since you'll have a lot of stuff to cover with essentially just two colonists.

Biotech helps a lot with that, make one of them a mechanitor and you're off. But I guess that's true of Rich Explorer too.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jack Trades posted:

Man, you'd think that the developers of Vanilla Expanded mods would at the very least make sure that their mods work with each other before marking them as updated for the new patch but some of them completely break the game if you use them together with literally nothing else.

Which ones?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Do you actually get anything from engaging with the monster show or is it basically just like activating a challenge run?

The new threats themselves are interestingly different from the previous kinds of encounters, so it isn't even necessarily a challenge run as much as if you don't activate the monolith you will still get interesting new kinds of encounters.

You can employ some of the monsters and mechanics against other enemies.

The general gameplay loop is to build a containment facility, which encourages some interesting base layouts to maximise the utility of various different kinds of containment things you can build, and you can extract useful resources from the things you contain, like material resources and electricity, but they work like prisoners in that they have escape intervals and most of them are much more dangerous than normal pawns, so you have to account for that. There are also tradeoffs you want to make between expending the least amount of effort and resources to contain more things which can be harvested more readily for resources, or making the most maximally secure containment rooms for more dangerous things.

A lot of the rewards seem a little... temporary for my liking, lots of consumables, but you can also get some powerful weapons that use resources extracted from contained enemies as ammunition essentially, so there are certainly reasons for doing it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 13, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, so this Noctolith event is pretty spooky, and I think the end for my current colony, but at least I know what to expect from it in the future.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The gently caress. My 8/14 double passion ghoul got absolutely smoked by a wandering feral ghoul who was 2/3.
Then my hunter got knocked out by a muffalo, of all things, and the only other colonist went to save him and got eaten by a wolf.

I love and hate this game.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Jack Trades posted:

VE mods have been held together with duct tape and prayers for years, I'd be more surprised if they were somehow bug-free.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

I studied an obelisk and oh my god...

This is gonna turn out 100% no problem I bet.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
There's a reason why they're rebuilding some of the VE mods from the ground up. A lot of them are huge creaky messes that add a lot of poo poo so it's not surprising they're having problems with a huge new game version; even much smaller mods are being plagued by weird poo poo that makes no sense right now, like Allow Tool disabling ghoul melee for some reason.

Mods that are labeled 1.5 compatible right now are 1.5 compatible in the sense that the game will run with them, not that they're actually stable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Danaru posted:

Which ones?

I don't remember exactly, I spent hours debugging the mod list and had to ask the discord for help, but if I remember correctly it was Vanilla Psycasts Expanded and Vanilla Base Generation Expanded would break world generation completely if used together.
I specifically tested disabling everything on my mod list except the Vanilla Expanded mods and my world generation still being broken.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Broken Cog posted:

I've tried the Researchers start twice, and I firmly recommend against it. It isn't just that you have only two useful colonists to do the usual-setup colony work AND research the monolith/monsters. It's that the ghoul must have meat all the time, and guess what it does if it runs out? I was running frantically to keep the colony ticking over and the ghoul fed, and monolith research barely happened.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've tried the Researchers start twice, and I firmly recommend against it. It isn't just that you have only two useful colonists to do the usual-setup colony work AND research the monolith/monsters. It's that the ghoul must have meat all the time, and guess what it does if it runs out? I was running frantically to keep the colony ticking over and the ghoul fed, and monolith research barely happened.

I found the ghoul pretty easy to keep fed, since it can eat corpses directly. So just send it around killing the local wildlife. Will get them some good melee experience as well.
But yeah, very slow start.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I would like a mod that automates having my ghoul out on the map "hunting" with its bare hands

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jack Trades posted:

I don't remember exactly, I spent hours debugging the mod list and had to ask the discord for help, but if I remember correctly it was Vanilla Psycasts Expanded and Vanilla Base Generation Expanded would break world generation completely if used together.
I specifically tested disabling everything on my mod list except the Vanilla Expanded mods and my world generation still being broken.

That's two I don't use at least, I'm rebuilding my list from scratch so I'm not looking forward to it :negative:

How on earth did they manage to make psycasts break worldgen :psyduck:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Danaru posted:

That's two I don't use at least, I'm rebuilding my list from scratch so I'm not looking forward to it :negative:

How on earth did they manage to make psycasts break worldgen :psyduck:

https://gist.github.com/HugsLibRecordKeeper/7e30ac67ae635e4cb2459fe5791c8300

Something about worldgen failing because it fails to create a psycaster pawn.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Random mod request: Does anyone know a mod that makes it so a single blackboard maxes out the learning from an attached desk? It's so weird and awkward to be encouraged to build three blackboards for like one kid. It's a really small thing, but it just started bothering me enough to look for a way to fix it with mods, and I was surprisingly unable to find a mod that did this.

OwlFancier posted:

Oh I just had a funny and horrible thing happen.

So my colony has been finding bits of grey flesh around for a little while.

I had my doctor surgically inspect everyone, nothing found. I had other people inspect the doctor. Nothing found. So I figured it might have been from a visitor or something and gone now?

Eventually I got a refugee lodging quest and one of them was a doctor, so when I found another bit of flesh I though "oh that guy's definitely an alien" so I had him inspected, nothing found...

I got the refugee doctor to inspect one of my colonists...

It turns out my entire colony is actually metalhorrors and the reason for this is that my doctor is also my frontline melee soldier and he got infected during an attack by some shamblers, and then proceeded to implant everybody else during the first round of surgical checks...

So the refugees have now been eaten by the horrors because they went to the colony where everyone is The Thing, and everyone is dying on the floor and the base is swarming with horrors.

It's a cool event but I'm not enormously a fan of how RNG it is. There's really nothing you can do about it if you make the wrong guess at the start and you do absolutely have to start with a guess. It's neat how it works narratively but it doesn't make for good gameplay at all I don't think.
I've been thinking about this, and I think there is a solution:
Don't have your doctor inspect everyone. Have your doctor inspect everyone except your secondary doctor, and then if your primary doctor doesn't find anything, have your secondary doctor inspect your primary doctor. To be real sure you'd then have a tertiary doctor (who could have been inspected in the first pass) check your primary or secondary doctor, to catch the case where your secondary doctor was infected.

If the act of inspection can spread the infection, you need to do it in that order- let your primary doctor check others and then check your primary doctor. If you check your primary doctor first you might be infecting them, and the whole investigation might blow up in your face, as it did in your case. But once your primary doctor has inspected everyone, if they didn't find anyone else, there's a good chance they were the infected one, and therefore your untouched secondary doctor should be able to figure that out. Of course if the untouched secondary doctor was actually the infected individual, then your primary and secondary doctors are now infected, but someone who was cleared by your first doctor before their infection should be able to tell you that.

The only way this method would fail to let you know what's going on is if your primary and secondary doctors both happened to be infected somehow to start.

And of course, if your primary doctor was infected, then your secondary doctor is now alone in an otherwise entirely infected colony. But at least you'll know that.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm playing a colony with this start, too, and it doesn't feel particularly slow to me since I had usually been playing naked brutality tribal -- my issue with this play-through is that I wasn't as picky about starting colonists since I'm playing on lower difficulty to get a feel for the new mechanics.

One has double passion in shooting, melee, and mining, and minor passion in constructing, but (I hadn't noticed this) is incapable of intellectual and crafting.

The other was a 15-year-old who somehow has cirrhosis and started with an alcohol addiction, which was straightforward enough to manage until the colony ran out of the beer she had on hand when crash-landing. She's good at plants and artistic, though no one has had any time to make any art yet.

So the 15-year-old has been doing all of the research and stone-cutting as we're digging into a nearby mountain, and is also responsible for making parkas and tuques to keep everyone warm, in addition to growing food to keep everyone from starving, since the ghoul gets first priority for raw meat.

We just had a transport pod crash with the crafting and intellectual incapable pawn's daughter -- she was addicted to wake-up and alcohol, and also had paralytic abasia! With how tricky it's been to manage everyone's needs and moods, I'd probably not have let her join the colony if not for the family connection and for the fact that she can't throw tantrums while going through two kinds of withdrawal at once 😅

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 13, 2024

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Bread Enthusiast posted:

I studied an obelisk and oh my god...

This is gonna turn out 100% no problem I bet.

Thats such a Stewart move

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Do you think if you made an absolutely miserable pawn that the clones would off themselves or leave during mental breaks cause that seems morbidly hilarious.

"Haha I am a perfect clone of you and no one can tell the differe- Holy poo poo you live like this!?"

"Yeah man, welcome to the party"

"gently caress this Im out"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Thats such a Stewart move

It's exactly like Stewart, in fact.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

Do you think if you made an absolutely miserable pawn that the clones would off themselves or leave during mental breaks cause that seems morbidly hilarious.

"Haha I am a perfect clone of you and no one can tell the differe- Holy poo poo you live like this!?"

"Yeah man, welcome to the party"

"gently caress this Im out"

Funny you mention that given the effect that the clones have lol

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
I just had the Unnatural Darkness event, and oh boy did it just completely end an otherwise good colony.

I killed one monolith that was near my base only to realize there were another like 4 spread across the map...

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Funny you mention that given the effect that the clones have lol

Lol I've been locked in trying to get my paper/presentation done for an upcoming conference so I have only been able to play for like, 5 minutes, since the game update so I guess Ill have to see what you mean at some point.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
So The Marker from Dead Space appeared on my map.

You can study and placate it at a reasonable rate to keep it from activating like once every 4-5 days at most. Still another chore for the understaffed colony. If you ignore it it'll warp people. And the guy I sent to placate it got warped anyway, though his follow-up was fine. Sent him to a labyrinth with loads of thick stone doors to force open. Definite race against starvation and madness. Has corpses in it, boxes for loot, horrible flesh creatures. Found the way out and it warped the fleshbeast I dodged to the colony after me, lol. It was gone from my map after this, a bit of a shame but also a relief, I'm definitely not at SCP levels of ready yet.

This expac owns and I can see a lot of modder potential as well as things to do for the colony that gets itself good and established and wants to send groups of commandos out to do stuff. :allears:

lmao it belched out the remains of those who died in the labyrinth onto the map at random too!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 13, 2024

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
I just got a transport pods crash with my settlers brother, who is also a ghoul. I now have the dad who is the colony's friendly rat catcher and a brother who is chained up in the dining room. I don't suppose there's any way to recruit him? Either way, this is sick I love it

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Man all these new additions actually look genuinely fun, even if horror wasn't what I really wanted from Rimworld. I wish I could afford the DLC right now.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I'm surprised how much meat there is to this expansion

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
After 800 hours and four dlcs I can confirm that gut worms is still the worst thing in the game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

Lol I've been locked in trying to get my paper/presentation done for an upcoming conference so I have only been able to play for like, 5 minutes, since the game update so I guess Ill have to see what you mean at some point.

Having multiple instances of the same person alive makes all of them progressively less conscious and more likely to have a mental break, so if you end up with a lot of them they're quite likely to start big fights.

It's reversible... if you make sure only one of them is left.

I can see situational applications for it, after you study the monolith a bit, you get the ability to make it duplicate on demand, and it takes a little while for the mental effects to kick in, so you could for example, clone a good fighter and send them out to get killed, without losing the original.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 13, 2024

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Having multiple instances of the same person alive makes all of them progressively less conscious and more likely to have a mental break, so if you end up with a lot of them they're quite likely to start big fights.

It's reversible... if you make sure only one of them is left.

I can see situational applications for it, after you study the monolith a bit, you get the ability to make it duplicate on demand, and it takes a little while for the mental effects to kick in, so you could for example, clone a good fighter and send them out to get killed, without losing the original.

Ah, Meat farm, gotcha.

Hehe "Stew"wart

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

I totally fixed everything with a quick rename at the time of the incident.

Which was good because new Stewart immediately put on the same goddamned clothes as original Stewart.

This is assuming they didn't swap souls or whatever at creation, of course....

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Now rename the other one "Real Stewart".

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Bread Enthusiast posted:

I totally fixed everything with a quick rename at the time of the incident.

Which was good because new Stewart immediately put on the same goddamned clothes as original Stewart.

This is assuming they didn't swap souls or whatever at creation, of course....

:lmao:

This DLC is amazing.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gadzuko posted:

Yeah I kinda feel this way about the dehumanizing meme right now. Having all your pawns gradually become emotionless cultist fanatics is a fun idea but then you can't recruit or convert anyone thanks to the crippling social malus, so you're just kinda stuck with what you've got. The game isn't set up to work that way.

E: dehumanizing becoming a ritual you have them partake in, rather than a random roll, would make it perfect imo. Then you could have a charismatic cult leader bringing people into the fold and loving them up.

I specifically made the ideology rituals performable at any time and to attract a new member for this reason. I also selected neutral bigotry toward other beliefs so that I could safely have people of other religions as long as they don't freak out too badly at the stuff that goes on.

Edit: For my research team I went with just the Inhuman meme with an Archist theme which seemed appropriate for the type of weirdos that would seek this poo poo out. If I actually do a cult, I'm going to go full on "where we're going, we don't need eyes to see" - I'll actually skip Inhuman and instead use Ritualist, Blindsight, and Pain is Virtue so that my creepy cultists are creepy for reasons other than being dead-eyed zombies. I'm pretty glad we got two different memes instead of them being jammed together into one.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 14, 2024

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I'm surprised how much meat there is to this expansion

First teaser didn't tip you off? :v:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

George Sex - REAL posted:

Enjoying Anomaly so far, but wanted to call attention to something that has long irked me: the main menu.

Adjacent to the core menu elements you have a secondary menu, adjacent to the most important buttons in the application that is Rimworld. All of the secondary buttons take you out of the game and aren't really helpful in the first place. Like a button to buy Tynan's design book, or to visit Tynan's very inactive twitter page.

Not even Sid Meier would engage in this level of self-insertional hubris. He made a really good game but games require some level of artifice and this Tynan needs to get out the way on his main menu.

Dunno, feels pretty easy to just ignore them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
My mind has selectively blanked those out I didn't even realize there was anything besides new game and load game and mods