Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It would be pretty funny if after all that Hank went back to the Vault, said "job's done" and wiped his hands clean of the whole affair of nuking a town. Then he runs all the way to Vegas and discovers that the NCR annexed it 15 years ago and the rest of the Republic is still going strong outside of the Boneyard and Moldaver's group put out a public notice that he's Public Enemy #1 and any new Vault Dwellers on the surface are not to be trusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
will there be protectrons?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tankbuster posted:

Fisto, hopefully.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Toddslop.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Toddsworth. He's a Mr Handy whose voice modulator is broken so he doesn't sound like Matt Berry anymore.

I'd also settle for Stephen Russel.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just cazadores. Nothing but cazadores.

Written and directed by Lars Von Trier.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

How is the game getting retconned if something is happening there afterwards. At most you can say they will pick a canon ending for the game and go from there.

The NCR got nuked and it's not going to follow any of the possible endings.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
finished it. as a massive NV/1/2 apologist I thought the show was hyper-respectful of those games and their lore and was surprised at how (entire season spoilers) central they were to the plot. the emotional climax for two of the three main characters hinged on Shady Sands and their memories of it as a thriving post-post-apoc settlement.

also we got House himself and a big ol New Vegas panorama at the end meaning we're obviously gonna see some Mojave stuff next season.

i went in with tons of cynicism and left with very little. the show tonally starts very Bethesda-y and then quickly becomes its own interesting thing. i do think pacing was occasionally wonky but i'm looking forward to season two.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Tankbuster posted:

Its not the entire NCR, its shady sands. The actual NCR citizens are shown in a somewhat ambiguous heroic light.

The finale features a fighter literally waving an NCR flag in the finale and a shot of New Vegas. There's also a goddamn billboard telling viewers that the NCR Capital moved from Shady Sands.

People are going to get mad because that's what they've trained themselves to do, even if it means being wrong about what they're seeing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So how many wasteland animals have we seen? Chickens, deer and dogs are still the same and not mutated. Gulpers are present, as are Brahmin, radroaches Yuo Guai and iguanas (on a stick! Don't eat the Iguana bits, though). And a deathclaw skull appears. But other than those we didn't really see a lot of the wildlife.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 13, 2024

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Tankbuster posted:

In the ending credits of the last episode there are broken Securitrons shown during the pull out through New Vegas

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i thought this episode was garbage, personally

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Imagine four episodes on the playlist of a streaming service. Say a direct copy of the episode nearest the playlist is sent to the back of the line of episodes and takes the place of the first episode. The formerly first episode becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the playlist.

Prime video works the same way.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

Its not the entire NCR, its shady sands. The actual NCR citizens are shown in a somewhat ambiguous heroic light.

Im sick of replying to you and hell WW3 is prob happening

Thats the whole point of new vegas fans wanting to see the NCR fall. NCR is not good people they are neolibs who are like old America. New Vegas fans wanted to see them fail in geopolitics

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

It would be pretty funny if after all that Hank went back to the Vault, said "job's done" and wiped his hands clean of the whole affair of nuking a town. Then he runs all the way to Vegas and discovers that the NCR annexed it 15 years ago and the rest of the Republic is still going strong outside of the Boneyard and Moldaver's group put out a public notice that he's Public Enemy #1 and any new Vault Dwellers on the surface are not to be trusted.

Classic

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Rabid Snake posted:

Thats the whole point of new vegas fans wanting to see the NCR fall. NCR is not good people they are neolibs who are like old America. New Vegas fans wanted to see them fail in geopolitics

geopolitics in fallout ended in a nuclear catastrophe. Go to the I/P thread like a normal guy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rabid Snake posted:

No I'm ok with this actually, thanks though

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Arc Hammer posted:

On the filmmaking side of things I'm not sure I really like the soft focus lens they used. Mostly because it felt really inconsistent. Sometimes the screen edge was hazy and blurred from the soft focus but other times the entire image was super sharp.

I'm like 95% certain they were filming a lot of the show on a Helios 44, which is one of my favorite lenses. It gives a very distinct look to images, never tried to do video with it.

The way the trees blur on the right side there is the sign it's a Helios or the lens the Helios was copied from.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Hi, all. I just started the first episode and got about halfway through before having to take an emotional break. The massacre of the Vault Dwellers seemed set up in a way that made me feel like I was supposed to laugh at these loser nerds all getting killed by raiders with casual, but brutal contempt. To think you’re going to start a new life with someone who promptly wipes his wet dick on your curtains, wtf?
I’ve played Fallouts I, II, III, New Vegas, and IV, and it’s one thing to read “her childbearing days are over” after a groin shot and chuckle, and to watch a sympathetic supporting character lose her husband to raiders and get poo poo stuck in her eye.

It just feels too edgy for me. Am I totally missing something for stopping as soon as that act was over? Is there a little bit of hope in this series? Or is it just a sequence of supporting characters being built up and then dismembered by a Deathclaw because “this is fallout world, pucker up buttercup?”

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
keep watching. Things aren't what they seem.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

That's the main characters origin story, that kicks the things off.

Mind you, there's going to be lot of slaps-stick gore (gore-stick?) in future.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Tankbuster posted:

keep watching. Things aren't what they seem.

Awesome, that’s what I needed. Thank you.

And thanks for the heads up, Issaries. I can work with Raimi humor if it’s not personal.

Kangaroo Jerk fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 14, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Everyone in the show apparently took Bloody Mess but it's not just horror and hopelessness all the time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I felt that the use of licensed music was a bit all over the place and they blew their load of Nat King Cole songs for this season, but on occasion the music and scenery synced up. I Don't Want to See Tomorrow playing over the last battle at the Observatory was pretty haunting. The reason why they're fighting is a whatever macguffin, but watching the last remnants of a community get slaughtered by techno fascists for because both sides immediately chose violence while music about longing for a future only if your loved one is with you plays is appropriate. Might as well play a funeral dirge for what's left of civilization in the Boneyard.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Yeah it's not a hopeless show. Lucy does a lot of the heavy lifting in that area, but all 3 of the major characters are sympathetic.

The scene you had trouble with in ep1 is probably the most brutal part of the show so far (up through ep6 for me). I was hit by it too - it does feel a bit like you're supposed to be laughing at the pain, but I think it at least numbs you a bit to know not to take every incident of violence from then on as seriously as you might in other shows. There's a definite attitude of having fun with things through everything, and it's not a grimdark nihilistic show at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kangaroo Jerk posted:

Hi, all. I just started the first episode and got about halfway through before having to take an emotional break. The massacre of the Vault Dwellers seemed set up in a way that made me feel like I was supposed to laugh at these loser nerds all getting killed by raiders with casual, but brutal contempt. To think you’re going to start a new life with someone who promptly wipes his wet dick on your curtains, wtf?
I’ve played Fallouts I, II, III, New Vegas, and IV, and it’s one thing to read “her childbearing days are over” after a groin shot and chuckle, and to watch a sympathetic supporting character lose her husband to raiders and get poo poo stuck in her eye.

It just feels too edgy for me. Am I totally missing something for stopping as soon as that act was over? Is there a little bit of hope in this series? Or is it just a sequence of supporting characters being built up and then dismembered by a Deathclaw because “this is fallout world, pucker up buttercup?”

I don't think you were supposed to laugh at any of that. There are definitely scenes where it's like "lol that guy got hosed up" but I don't think that is one of them.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

My partner, who had hitherto not consumed any Fallout media, really enjoyed it and left our binge wanting to play one of the games.

I think I've landed on 3. I know it's a contentious choice but while NV is superior it's a bit more for the 'heads and also doesn't have the classic vault-dwelling start. And I think starting with isometric joints from the last century isn't gonna be it.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

My partner, who had hitherto not consumed any Fallout media, really enjoyed it and left our binge wanting to play one of the games.

I think I've landed on 3. I know it's a contentious choice but while NV is superior it's a bit more for the 'heads and also doesn't have the classic vault-dwelling start. And I think starting with isometric joints from the last century isn't gonna be it.

If you have 3 and NV (and are playing on pc) it's worth installing Tale of Two Wastelands for better performance and some backported quality of life stuff

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

I saw somebody say earlier this might be the best video game adaptation ever, and if it holds up in the last 2 episodes, I probably agree.

Last Of Us jumps to mind as obvious competition but it is true that the game was basically a movie anyway, and it adapted things very directly - and where it diverged, it had mixed results. At the end of that show, having played the game, I thought well it was cool to get a live action version of this, but I didn't feel much on the way, cos I've seen all of this before and some of it was done better with 3D models. They also excised almost all of the gameplay elements, which harmed the pacing because the story was paced for that. It was the obvious and more respectable way to do it - just make the cutscenes and fill in the gaps with more talking.

With this, though, not that I'm a Fallout expert, but they've managed to preserve everything that is enjoyable about the games while building an original story of their own. It's the way the show has integrated the fun of gameplay into its storytelling that is impressing me most, I don't think I've ever seen that done successfully. I've seen it done in a gimmicky way, like putting a mario level in the mario movie, but this show has managed to evoke the game without just literally emulating it on the screen. Instead, they've woven all of these gameplay, exploration and worldbuilding elements into the fabric of the plot. Everything is serving the story.

This is how it should be done if you're going to do it.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 14, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I haven't seen or played The Last of Us, but I think Fallout is definitely faithful to the material at least in an atmospheric sense. It is a bit game-ified in that you can get a feel for what stats and tagged abilities someone has. Things seem to use videogame logic as far as healing and who gets injured, and how badly injuries affect people. It feels like the Fallout world and also feels like a Fallout game.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Speaking of implausible video game injury treatment, is the finger The Ghoul sews back onto his hand Lucie's? If so I know it would be a bit contrived but thematically it would have been neat IMO if by some contrivance she had his in her pack and Snip-Snip saw it and realized it was a perfect fit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

Honestly FO3 is a good start. I always have a ball wandering around the Capital Wasteland, more so than the others, and taken strictly as an exploration simulator it's... pretty good. And your partner won't have to deal with FO3's terrible original ending!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think I'm going to go through Tale of Two Wastelands this summer. Apparently you start out in FO3, but can take a train to New Vegas and use your character over there.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

roomtone posted:

I saw somebody say earlier this might be the best video game adaptation ever, and if it holds up in the last 2 episodes, I probably agree.

My choice would be Arcane, which I sometimes forget is even based on a game. The Castlevania anime is also entertaining, though I probably liked Fallout better.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Speaking of implausible video game injury treatment, is the finger The Ghoul sews back onto his hand Lucie's? If so I know it would be a bit contrived but thematically it would have been neat IMO if by some contrivance she had his in her pack and Snip-Snip saw it and realized it was a perfect fit.

That's what I immediately figured, I mean what's the likelihood of having run into an opportunity like that twice in such a short window?

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
In episode 5 there's a song that is used that plays in the bridge-crossing scene, this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6U1JB7z-I8

Kinda bugging me that the melody seems intimately familiar ad evocative of something but i cant place it, dont even recognise the name of the song or the artist. Ring any bells? Idk if i recognize from some other media i cant place right now

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Cojawfee posted:

I haven't seen or played The Last of Us, but I think Fallout is definitely faithful to the material at least in an atmospheric sense. It is a bit game-ified in that you can get a feel for what stats and tagged abilities someone has. Things seem to use videogame logic as far as healing and who gets injured, and how badly injuries affect people. It feels like the Fallout world and also feels like a Fallout game.
Yeah, this was my big takeaway from the first episode. I was skeptical of the show like a lot of people, especially since none of the Fallout games really have the kind of story that can be directly adapted to a traditional narrative, so any adaptation would mostly be about getting the vibe right. And I think the first episode in particular did a great job establishing that, and sold me on the rest of the series.

As a casual enjoyer of Fallout who's only beaten 1 and NV, but played quite a bit of 3 and some of 2 and 4, I enjoyed this a lot. For the criticisms of how this story interacts with certain elements of canon, I actually thought that was interesting and well done; (whole show spoilers) for all its issues, the fall of the NCR, both in the nuking of Shady Sands and their battle in the finale, feels genuinely tragic. Also as cheap a trick as it may be, I totally had the pointing-at-the-screen "There's the thing!" reaction to seeing New Vegas. The mysteries were compelling, and I thought it struck a good balance between providing answers for the main ones and leaving hooks for future seasons. Probably the biggest open question is how Moldaver survived, but I assume we'll be getting more of Coop in the past to answer that.

I liked all the main leads, although Maximus was probably the hardest to get a handle on. I'm not sure leaving it ambiguous at the beginning whether he put the blade in Dane's boot was the best idea. The fact that he was innocent seems like an important bit of characterization to understand him, and you still have that moral ambiguity with how he interacts with Titus and Thaddeus, so instead it just feels a little confusing at the beginning how he should be seen. But I like where it went; he's a morally confused person who becomes better trying to live up to the ideal version of a Knight that doesn't actually exist, and by the time he finally gets that role he's past the point where it's something he even wants. Lucy and Coop are just great, no notes, and I look forward to their buddy adventures.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Falukorv posted:

In episode 5 there's a song that is used that plays in the bridge-crossing scene, this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6U1JB7z-I8

Kinda bugging me that the melody seems intimately familiar ad evocative of something but i cant place it, dont even recognise the name of the song or the artist. Ring any bells? Idk if i recognize from some other media i cant place right now

Maybe on TikTok?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So if the NCR is still around, what's the Commonwealth that was mentioned by the BoS in Episode 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Lord Hydronium posted:

I liked all the main leads, although Maximus was probably the hardest to get a handle on. I'm not sure leaving it ambiguous at the beginning whether he put the blade in Dane's boot was the best idea. The fact that he was innocent seems like an important bit of characterization to understand him, and you still have that moral ambiguity with how he interacts with Titus and Thaddeus, so instead it just feels a little confusing at the beginning how he should be seen. But I like where it went; he's a morally confused person who becomes better trying to live up to the ideal version of a Knight that doesn't actually exist, and by the time he finally gets that role he's past the point where it's something he even wants. Lucy and Coop are just great, no notes, and I look forward to their buddy adventures.

I feel that the entire direction to Aaron Moten was:

1) Play the entire season like Dexter

2) Play the entire season with Denzel Washington "shocked/saddened by betrayal" face

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 14, 2024