Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
I've already got one foot out the door when it comes to oysters/clams/etc. If I opened one and found tiny crabs inside it I would be out and down the garden path before you knew it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
What's weirder - shucking a clam and finding a little crab inside, or shucking a crab and finding a little clam?

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

They're called Pea Crabs and they're absolutely edible.

One of the ladies pushing the cart at our local dim sum place told us it's good luck to find one in your clam.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Tall Tale Teller posted:

One of the ladies pushing the cart at our local dim sum place told us it's good luck to find one in your clam.

I sense a conflict of interest here.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WvbxIzf27o

Yummy!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Piss Crab

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i dont like it

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

There’s a disturbing javender lack of Lavender Jack.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Different Country Diary

I don't know whether it's a bad thing that none of the food was memorable or a good thing that Asa was provided for well enough that she never really had to think about it. Maybe it's neither. I'm naturally very forgetful so even when I'm eating extremely good food I won't remember what it was shortly afterward. But I do remember that it was good and the feelings that went into it. That kind of stuff sticks better than the mere facts of the matter

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 13:58 on Apr 13, 2024

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

RandolphCarter posted:

There’s a disturbing javender lack of Lavender Jack.

Agreed. Drew this instead of sleeping. It's the drawing-board Jacks

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

all the lavender jacks compete to see who gets to star in the comic! it's a lavender jack-off!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

tree bucket must be stopped

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

because it's too good

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

all the lavender jacks compete to see who gets to star in the comic! it's a lavender jack-off!

That's a good lavender joke.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tree Bucket posted:

:haw:

And hey, how about some more

28TH CENTURY SUPERFAN

I'm not gonna lie, I think every comic would be improved with a scene of ambulances blasting through going :siren: WEE OOO WEE OOO :siren:

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

well done, very well done.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If I had known that slacking off on posting Lavender Jack would summon Tree Bucket fanart I would have stopped sooner

(I'm planning on replenishing my stash of LJ to post this weekend, don't worry)

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Beank and Rosa: Train Nightmare

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

SOUBOUTEI
MUST
BE
DESTROYED

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I'm getting a bad feeling about where this conversation in Souboutei is going to go.

Squidster posted:

Beank and Rosa: Train Nightmare

Poor guy's trying to do existentialism but he just doesn't understand public transport.

Tree Bucket posted:

Provender Jack is my favourite.

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 71: Mount Kintoki Dreamin'

In Shogun 2 Total War, the Date faction had a DLC unit called Bulletproof Samurai, I don't know if this is related at all.

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 37: The Wheat, the Magic and the Song of Gaia

Yasmidia's looking sharp these days.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Haha that's a great idea! I'm just gonna google image search "lavender jack-of" to see if anyone's done it before!

e: gosh

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Apr 13, 2024

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I absolutely love the character design on Date Masamune here.

Hyuge Mono does really cool stylistic things with a relatively grounded art style.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

mycatscrimes posted:

I absolutely love the character design on Date Masamune here.

Hyuge Mono does really cool stylistic things with a relatively grounded art style.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

The cursive capital D eyepatch is KILLLLLING me lol so cute

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I love how he is portrayed with kabuki makeup on because why not, he is just that over the top

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Softies

and with that we're caught up again.

Hedgehog's Dilemma

Alt Text: not pictured: the many extra packs of duck sauce and soy sauce from previous chinese food orders

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

barbecue at the folks posted:

I love how he is portrayed with kabuki makeup on because why not, he is just that over the top

That's not make up, his eyes are just naturally that dramatic.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I was on a pg wodehouse reading binge lately and switching back and forth from that to abbeycourt manor was just the greatest thing

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Emzedoh posted:

That's not make up, his eyes are just naturally that dramatic.

Yeah the face is what I was talking about. Not at all suprised that the armor is accurate lol. Well, maybe a bit suprised the crescent ornament is actually that size.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Ok, his face is naturally that dramatic.

In seriousness though, I hadn't actually noticed the Kabuki connection before but you're totally right - that explains a lot about his presentation.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Angry kabuki lords are like infinite entertainment value.
Anywho the weather is perfect so I'm off to explore a new sector of the ironbark forest, and hopefully see some turquoise parrots or diamond firetails. If I never post again, you'll know I got souboutei'd by a thorn bush.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

From Arthurian knights to samurai warlords, the moment you give some jackass a title and a suit of armour they all become such drama queens to shame any teenage girl film.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Emzedoh posted:

Ok, his face is naturally that dramatic.

In seriousness though, I hadn't actually noticed the Kabuki connection before but you're totally right - that explains a lot about his presentation.
The comic visually references Japanese art in cool ways all the time and I'm sure I've only picked up on the more obvious stuff like Yayoi Kasuma and Date's face and stuff. It always seems to fit naturally. Never feels like the creator is just trying to shoehorn in references. It's a real treat.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

MS Paint Masterpieces
#490: Value Of Life - Wait Times

#492: Value Of Life - The Iron Fist

#493: Value Of Life - Maid To Order

I've had a lot of early mornings feeling like a B-Minus at life
MS Paint Masterpieces
#494: Value Of Life - The Playroom

#495: Value Of Life - Good Times

#497: Value Of Life - FINISH HIM!

And at this point the comic starts pretending the stuff at the start was much better-written that it was.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 05:58 on Apr 14, 2024

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

mycatscrimes posted:

The comic visually references Japanese art in cool ways all the time and I'm sure I've only picked up on the more obvious stuff like Yayoi Kasuma and Date's face and stuff. It always seems to fit naturally. Never feels like the creator is just trying to shoehorn in references. It's a real treat.

When you put it that way, it seems kind of obvious the author must be pretty into art and aesthetics - that's what the whole comic is about. For reason though, it had never occured to me. I mainly noticed the political maneuvering and the song references in the titles. I'm nearly certain that this chapter, for instance, is a reference to California Dreamin' by the Mamas and the Papas.

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 43: Spiral Shell

Who needs lotto tickets when you could have stag beetles?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Emzedoh posted:

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 37: The Wheat, the Magic and the Song of Gaia

I love how the ridiculous bullshit like anachronistic sushi just hangs around in the setting

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Anachronistic sushi caused by an opsec breach at the secret organisation dedicated to eliminating anachronisms, no less.

Still,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Emzedoh posted:

Anachronistic sushi caused by an opsec breach at the secret organisation dedicated to eliminating anachronisms, no less.

Wait, is that an actual thing? I can't remember.