Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Barry Convex posted:

saw the Philly premiere last night. Absolutely incredible experience with a crowd; I still probably would have made it slightly shorter, but the pacing and overall gag hit-to-miss ratio are remarkably strong given a running time that seems unsustainable on paper. the animal costumes never stop being a delight to look at.

also, to clarify the streaming part, I don't think it's coming to any subscription streaming service yet, just to VOD for rental/purchase

Where did you see it? The closest theaters I'm seeing are both in Wilmington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

drat, Eleanor Coppola passed away.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i finally see that there's a local screening on the hundreds of beavers website and it's too far away on a weeknight :(

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

drat, Eleanor Coppola passed away.

That's a shame, right before Cannes too.

E: also, just saw Civil War and thought it was excellent. The entire last sequence I was :tviv: . Plot was a lil bit tropey/predictable hitting all the expected beats, but v forgivable for me because the entire setting, production design, and performances worked for me

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 13, 2024

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Jesse Plemons is astonishingly good at playing terrifying nightmare psychopaths.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah he was a highlight too.

Seems like he'd be a cool guy in person tho

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So I guess the Dune 2 novelty popcorn bucket was a big enough it that all new novelty popcorn buckets are going to be sex toys.

https://x.com/Bosslogic/status/1778982668065263889

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Oh hey did you all check out the trailer for TCL's AI-made movie? Definitely a seeing is believing scenario because words kind of fail me rn

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KhQnnISdDIU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Air Skwirl posted:

So I guess the Dune 2 novelty popcorn bucket was a big enough it that all new novelty popcorn buckets are going to be sex toys.

https://x.com/Bosslogic/status/1778982668065263889

Nothing that Boss Logic posts is a real product

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Where did you see it? The closest theaters I'm seeing are both in Wilmington.

PhilaMOCA. There’s an encore screening on Tuesday night, though I haven’t checked to see if it’s sold out yet

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Monkey Man was really good

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watched The Great Race, what a wonderful, wonderful mess. Set pieces the movie!

Little actual racing happens. The protagonist is hilariously underwritten. He's the most nothing-there all-american himbo you could wish for.

Then you have Jack Lemmon as a mustache-twirling villain with Peter Falk (Columbo!) as his henchman, both wearing vampire capes and team-rocket-esque graphic design on all their poo poo. They have a inspector gadget rear end car where the cabinet is a forklift, small cannon on it, etc. etc. Apparently this movie was the inspiration for Wacky Racers! Lemmon is, as always, great. He shouts probably 3/4 of his lines. I mean look at this:

Has a lot of classic Hollywood: fantastic bar room brawl, musical number sang by a floozy, a positively puzzling detour into a royal treason plot, and then a return to form with a good ol' pie fight. Also has Natalie Wood as a suffragette reporter, and there's a fun little subplot about that movement. She's great!

It's not coherent in the least, and feels like every third was directed/written by a different person, but it's a blast. On Tubi: https://tubitv.com/movies/100012219/the-great-race

RIP all these great actors, but in particular Natalie Wood :smith:.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 14, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you want a bit more of that vibe, catch The Assassination Bureau.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Great Race knows exactly what kind of movie it is.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Love the gag of Tony Curtis remaining untouched for most of the pie fight.

And Falk getting insta-creamed.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ynohtna posted:

And Falk getting insta-creamed.

Now there's a mental image

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
https://twitter.com/TheDeskDotNet/status/1778779222871613764

We've loving failed as a society folks wrap it up

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's only going to get better, but that at least looks hideous. It's like when every teen starting out editing photos discovers HDR-editing and blows the gently caress out of every photo so the clouds are glowing and everything looks radioactive. Like, 3/4 of those "shots" have a distracting sunset blaring away in the corner, and if not that bokeh up the wazoo.

Might do numbers as curious people check it out, but will be interesting to see if other stuff does any meaningful numbers. Hallmark slop has a special place in my heart, but this is so, so unappealing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Define "better". Things might look more real down the line but that's not really better. Ideally, this will get the concept of AI-generated movies laughed out of pitch meetings.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's also the fact that you cannot copyright a work created by an AI without getting enough human hand on it after that it's probably not even worth using the AI in the first place

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

Define "better".

CGI was done right early in many movies, but for the most part was blatantly obvious until what, 2010 or so? To the point now that composite shots can be incredibly easy to miss if you don't think about it. We're probably a decade if not way more away from these actually getting "better", and I hope they continue to flop in the meantime.

I'm going to throw TANK GIRL on https://goontu.be later today, likely 8pm EST!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You guys ever hear of a movie are like, “holy poo poo this sounds awesome, why haven’t I heard of this before?” And then watch the movie and are like “oh ok I get it”?

On an unrelated note, I’m watching The Story of Mankind

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love that it's TCL, the cheapest TV brand imaginable.

Gripweed posted:

You guys ever hear of a movie are like, “holy poo poo this sounds awesome, why haven’t I heard of this before?” And then watch the movie and are like “oh ok I get it”?

This is me with PERDIDA DURANGO but I get why it was shunned. Awesome movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The voices in that are real actors?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Barry Convex posted:

PhilaMOCA. There’s an encore screening on Tuesday night, though I haven’t checked to see if it’s sold out yet

I have tickets to this one and I'm very hype

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is me with PERDIDA DURANGO but I get why it was shunned. Awesome movie.

Incredible movie. Javier Bardem’s best performance?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Incredible movie. Javier Bardem’s best performance?

Everything else is pulling up the rear yeah. It's young sexy Javier too, not too many of those movies out there.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love that it's TCL, the cheapest TV brand imaginable.

I was about to say that Walmart bought them for their streaming channel but that was Vizio. Do all these cheap-rear end TV brands have their own streaming channels?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

david_a posted:

I was about to say that Walmart bought them for their streaming channel but that was Vizio. Do all these cheap-rear end TV brands have their own streaming channels?

Makes sense that they'd get into that, they're all loaded with apps, better claw some of that 150 dollars back.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

david_a posted:

That or they license through Roku.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

david_a posted:

every smart-tv maker is doing it, not just the cheap ones

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I'm going to throw TANK GIRL on https://goontu.be later today, likely 8pm EST!

This is starting in ~15!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Eddie the Eagle movie is wild. It’s exactly like Walk Hard, this laser focused parody of every single stereotype of the genre, every single line of dialogue is exposition or a character just stating their motivation, every single character is a cartoonish parody of the role that type of character plays in these kinds of movies.

But it’s not a comedy. It’s 100% sincere.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Civil War is good

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I watched Black Candles and Night Killer back to back the other day. Black Candles was kinda similar to Shiver of the Vampires. I guess the moral of the story is not to hang out with your dead relatives’ weirdo friends.

I think my mouth was agape for most of Night Killer. I just couldn’t believe where it kept going. That whole sequence with Melanie getting hosed up on pills on the beach was incredible.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Tank Girl is some good 90's budget apocolyptic sci-fi. Lori Petty kills it and is charismatic enough to make the character work. It's surprisingly progressive, less in that it passes the bechdel test, but more in that sex comes up a lot in quips and dialog, but never at the expense of the main character. She gets to be sexy without being shamed about it, and that feels way ahead of it's time.

Plots fuckin' weird. Didn't expect Kangaroo men to hop up. Their costumes rock. Did feel a little messy and while I really dig what they do with Malcolm McDowell (always surprised to see him in stuff, always happy about it) sci-fi wise, it was a little too by-the-numbers.

Whole thing has the vibe of what today would be a successful kickstarter movie, kinda. Spent most of it thinking about what a bummer it was that it didn't find success at the time, as a tv show or sequel would have been fun.

-

Also saw Night Is Short, Walk on Girl. Ruled. There's nothing better than a magical realism story about a characters journey over the course of one night. A Little Prince like story where you get snapshots of little worlds before drifting along to the next delightful subject. Animation at first feels kind of basic, but grows on you quick.

Japanse, so kinda perverted by Western sensibilities, but it doesn't get gross about it. Whole thing gets so surreal and fun it's not hard to look past. One minute, the protagonist is in a drinking contest, another, they're meeting "The God of the Old Books Market". Another, they're performing in a renegade rock opera that's performed on scaffolding quickly assembled so that they can evade cops trying to stop the show.

This one's on HBO Max! Real fun anime. Flavors of FLCL, almost.

-

Finally, May December. Get why people dig it, good movie. Portman is downright impressive in it. Gut punch of a story, didn't know anything going into it. Really confident, subtle until it isn't, kind of flick. Really wanted them to end the movie with a pan over to the pianist, maniacally banging away those same chords.

Also holy poo poo, a Leon Russel cover that isn't Song For You? Sold. Though I do feel judged in that I really dig that song, and the guy who in-movie loves it is a hot mess.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tank Girl is so cool

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Sounds like Cole Porter, sir

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Rachel Talaley (Tank Girl) directs a lot of TV now but in particular, her Doctor Who work with Peter Capaldi all looks fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

josh04 posted:

Rachel Talaley (Tank Girl) directs a lot of TV now but in particular, her Doctor Who work with Peter Capaldi all looks fantastic.

I dunno, I reckon her stuff looks just okay.

There's an episode of Sherlock she directs where she just goes completely unhinged though. It's bad, but it's very entertaining.