Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Al-Saqr posted:

huh I thought the sisters of silence were female custodians or are they only for people who are psychic 'nulls'.

anyways, I'm all for tall muscular golden women smiting my heresy. :swoon:

Sisters of Silence are a separate thing with a history of working closely with the Custodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

This is neat:

(check the pronouns)

Obviously it's all very 'diversity win, anyone can be an elite soldier of the fascist empire' - but I think it's nice in booting the Custodes from being specifically knightly orders into monastic ones - which opens up an interesting conceptual space for them.

*rogue trader walks by, tips fedora* M'stodes

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anybody got a tip for a good source for some Egyptian-style birdmen to go with Thousand Sons? I don't care for the jagged, wild demon look of a Tzaangor but I need a handful of birdbeastmen things for Warpcoven Kill Team. They can be golems or undead or something if that works.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I strongly encourage this guy to walk away from 40k because I don't want kinda weirdo in the hobby space AND it's gonna be very funny when his audience doesn't go with him

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I came up with this in 2022/2023 while arguing with manchildren about the boys only club being dismantled on reddit

My banned reddit account posted:

First, introduce a retcon: The Custodes have always been able to custodize women because the Emperor had time to perfect the process of the lengthy Custodes template. The reason no one out of lore noticed is because there's no differentiation in armor design in the Custodian guard. Per in-universe lore, it is no one else's business how Custodes are made or who they're made from; it's all classified.

So yes, I'm taking credit for this new lore.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

SuperKlaus posted:

Anybody got a tip for a good source for some Egyptian-style birdmen to go with Thousand Sons? I don't care for the jagged, wild demon look of a Tzaangor but I need a handful of birdbeastmen things for Warpcoven Kill Team. They can be golems or undead or something if that works.

Corvus Cabal/Cypher Lords was my first thought, but they're more humans with bird ornamentation. Maybe they'd make good kitbash material though. The whole range is going the legends route so maybe it'll be cheap?

The only other bird-ish thing I found are Raptoryx models, but there's nothing Egyptian about them.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 14, 2024

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
What about Kroot? The base troops are going pretty cheap from resellers piecing out the army set.

And feathers are some of the more popular and easy accents to make with green stuff so there's plenty of tutorials.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 14, 2024

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

I'm in several 40k Discords that are predominately chill people, but the fun part of events like this is that it always seems to flush out weirdos who can be poked at with sticks until they inevitably melt down. Last night one guy in particular was twisting himself into knots trying to explain how women in 40k was somehow keeping GW from updating the model ranges that really needed it, while being actively trolled the whole time.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I honestly would really like it if the custodes got the stormcast eternals treatment and had male-female presenting armor thats still big and badass.

I actually would love a Custodes equivalent to Neave Blacktalon

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I would like male-only-Space Marines if it was more of a commentary on child soldiers and the military machine. Young boys being brainwashed and conditioned into living weapons. But the setting wants to treat marines as knightly heroes, and everyone should get to see themselves that way.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

I honestly would really like it if the custodes got the stormcast eternals treatment and had male-female presenting armor thats still big and badass.

no, more than enough titty plate armour in 40k and the custodes designs look good as is. sprue of heads with one that looks suspiciously like gwendoline christie is all that's required

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I would like male-only-Space Marines if it was more of a commentary on child soldiers and the military machine. Young boys being brainwashed and conditioned into living weapons. But the setting wants to treat marines as knightly heroes, and everyone should get to see themselves that way.

I feel like this commentary is made multiple times actually. Space Marines are bred for war and little else. There's a very strong implication that when the galaxy has been pacified the Emperor would have ordered the Space Wolves (and Custodes?) to wipe out the other Legions just like how he disposed of the Thunder Warriors. All Marines undergo hypnotherapy to make them more compliant and erase their pre Marine memories.

When Guilliman comes back one of the things he does is criticize the Blood Angels for purposely leaving Baal a shithole under the impression that harsh environment produces better soldiers. IIRC one of the main characters of Devastation of Baal is a boy who sustains a head injury and has to drop out of initiation because of it. The BAs have the technology to patch it up so he can keep trying but they don't give a poo poo because clearly he's a failure.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Al-Saqr posted:

Their armor is so large and bulky I don't see how anyone could tell if they're wearing helmets. And that's much truer to modern co-ed militaries anyway; no one has boob plate kevlar vests.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Assessor of Maat posted:

no, more than enough titty plate armour in 40k and the custodes designs look good as is. sprue of heads with one that looks suspiciously like gwendoline christie is all that's required

3 Action Economist posted:

Their armor is so large and bulky I don't see how anyone could tell if they're wearing helmets. And that's much truer to modern co-ed militaries anyway; no one has boob plate kevlar vests.

But think of how many lives would be saved if everyone had giant double-d kevlar-power armor mounds slapped on top of their armor!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I believe that's what is called a Shot Trap

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
The Custodes models already have enormous chest pieces and wide hips, so they might have been women all along. I don't think GW needs to modify the models, although the female Stormcast have been feminized very respectfully, so if they end up doing so, it'll probably look good anyway. Ideally they'd just toss a few feminine-presenting heads onto the sprues.

Realistically though, we are many years from GW updating the sprues, so none of this is going to happen.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

This is addressed in some of the books, sometimes in a heartbreaking fashion. The POV character in 'Spear of the Emperor' had a brother sent into the trials to become Astartes, and it....did not go well.

The Night Lords trilogy also has moments showing how brutalized and dissociated the 'candidates' are, even when the legion is still loyal.

But yeah, any such message of "see, these are broken people montruously forged into ingots" sadly gets undone 90% of the time by cover art going "LOOK at these stalwart badasses nobly facing impossible odds!"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Why the gently caress gw ruining the intergalactic gay bath house this is an outrage

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

This is how Space King shows their not-astartes being made. Kidnapping children, brainwashing the little boys into foaming at the mouth berserkers and throwing the little girls into a volcano.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

JBP posted:

Why the gently caress gw ruining the intergalactic gay bath house this is an outrage

The Emperor TTS Fabulous Custodes gag needs to be updated with a fabulous, oiled up, muscle bound lady to round out the joke.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Eej posted:

I feel like this commentary is made multiple times actually. Space Marines are bred for war and little else.

Sephyr posted:

This is addressed in some of the books, sometimes in a heartbreaking fashion.

I know, but it's not foregrounded in marketing and public perception, for obvious reasons.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Warmachine posted:

The Emperor TTS Fabulous Custodes gag needs to be updated with a fabulous, oiled up, muscle bound lady to round out the joke.

I did someone do a slightly half-assed photoshop with Jolyne Cujoh, so people are on the right track there.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Warmachine posted:

The non-geisha henchpeople/backup dancers from Sturgill Simpson's "A Good Look" video

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I tried to make a post on Reddit (I should have known better) about the language we use when referring to female Custodians saying we shouldn't call them Femmstodes, or Custodettes like I was seeing thrown around, because it's insulting and derogatory, but I just got shouted down for being pedantic :(

I just thought it was weird to see people be like "I can't wait to mod my army into custodettes! These girls are gonna be so bad rear end" it feels like they're talking about being excited about finally being able to have women of their very own to dress up and play with.

That isn't supporting the idea of women in the custodes. That's thinly veiled creepy Fritzl type poo poo.

The lovely nature of the community never ceases to amaze me. It's becoming more and more discouraging to stay interested in this hobby.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I tried to make a post on Reddit (I should have known better) about the language we use when referring to female Custodians saying we shouldn't call them Femmstodes, or Custodettes like I was seeing thrown around, because it's insulting and derogatory, but I just got shouted down for being pedantic :(

I just thought it was weird to see people be like "I can't wait to mod my army into custodettes! These girls are gonna be so bad rear end" it feels like they're talking about being excited about finally being able to have women of their very own to dress up and play with.

That isn't supporting the idea of women in the custodes. That's thinly veiled creepy Fritzl type poo poo.

The lovely nature of the community never ceases to amaze me. It's becoming more and more discouraging to stay interested in this hobby.

It's not limited to warhammer, or wargames, or tabletop games, or games in any fashion. It's an endemic issue with idiot nerds who have never been taught how to socialize with others or are incapable of understanding how to socialize properly with others.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Lmao, that's like the least problematic thing about the IP.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Lmao, that's like the least problematic thing about the IP.

I was naively thinking there would be some modicum of support on the post for not referring to women in the IP in a sexist way, which would have given me hope for society as a whole. But the reaction has shown me that the problem isn't, and probably never will get better. Especially not in the 40k community.

I'm becoming less and less interested in the whole IP. And society for that matter.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I don't think you should base your entire feelings about humanity from your reddit experience.

Edit: I don't think these dudes are the greatest examples of humanity but comparing them to Frizl is a bit much

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 14, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Most people probably do just want the boob armor though.

Otherwise you could have swapped heads, or not even bothered at all since the giant bulky armor is completely dehumanizing and the person underneath it might as well not even exist.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Ominous Jazz posted:

I don't think you should base your entire feelings about humanity from your reddit experience.

Edit: I don't think these dudes are the greatest examples of humanity but comparing them to Frizl is a bit much

Yeah, I guess I was being a bit bitter and hyperbolic there. It's not just from Reddit, it's just yet another place that I thought I could maybe escape bullshit like that, and yet again it rears it's head. Again, I'm probably being too naive about it, but I try to hold out hope that there are some corners of the internet were people can just not be lovely for a minute.

The more I see it the more frustrating it gets

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

SuperKlaus posted:

Not-Workshop but Crocodile Games has a few birdmans factions in the Wargods of Aegyptus line. There are good hawk and stork-dudes, then there are evil vulture-guys. Chris Fitzpatrick sculpted for Citadel for a while so they don't quite match the modern aesthetic but they have a Middlehammer look that shouldn't look too wildly out of place.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Yeah, I guess I was being a bit bitter and hyperbolic there. It's not just from Reddit, it's just yet another place that I thought I could maybe escape bullshit like that, and yet again it rears it's head. Again, I'm probably being too naive about it, but I try to hold out hope that there are some corners of the internet were people can just not be lovely for a minute.

The more I see it the more frustrating it gets
Thus far I've only seemed to encounter 'femstodes' or similar used as a construction when contrasting the (current, canon, suck it nerds) IP situation with either the ambiguity preceding it or the hypothetical No :females: Forty Kay advanced by people who are super salty that some of the Emperor's house-brand Pillar Men might be ladies.

I don't think nudging against it is wrong at all, though, especially if you're doing your little part in the rhetoric. More that I wouldn't despair for humanity just yet, lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I was naively thinking there would be some modicum of support on the post for not referring to women in the IP in a sexist way, which would have given me hope for society as a whole. But the reaction has shown me that the problem isn't, and probably never will get better. Especially not in the 40k community.

I'm becoming less and less interested in the whole IP. And society for that matter.

You were on reddit, you're complaining that the pile of poo poo you stuck your hand in was a pile of poo poo this whole time

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Idk how you're an 07 reg that is this naive about nerd cultures. Just continue to tune it out and ignore the losers that make your hobbies worse, don't try to change their opinions because that's a losing battle as you obviously saw. Trying to word police is just annoying.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Idk how you're an 07 reg that is this naive about nerd cultures. Just continue to tune it out and ignore the losers that make your hobbies worse, don't try to change their opinions because that's a losing battle as you obviously saw. Trying to word police is just annoying.

It's not that I'm that naive about nerd culture per se, it's just every now and again I try to test the waters to see if people in general, change.

I didn't expect to see any positivity about it. When I did, I thought I could have a bit of a discussion. I think im just going to take a break from it for a while to let the dust settle. All the media I consume about 40k is just riddled with this subject at the moment and it's just exhausting.

Improbable Lobster posted:

You were on reddit, you're complaining that the pile of poo poo you stuck your hand in was a pile of poo poo this whole time

You're right I should have known better. It's just disappointing.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 14, 2024

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I’m not actively trying to follow this topic on Twitter, but I guess liking a couple posts about Custodes is all it takes to flood your feed with it:

https://x.com/warhammer/status/1779544596172689822?s=46&t=A_8U-gLj0vdEjhuKPT6Drw

The official Warhammer account is doubling down on support for Fem-Custodes, which is cool to see. I’ve just been waiting for someone to open the floodgates on the idea that just because that Custode used “She” pronouns, doesn’t necessarily mean they’re biologically female. And then see chuds’ heads explode at the idea of a genetically engineered meta-human in the year 40,000 being trans.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I think there's a pretty good case to make that they could have been female all along. When you're an 8 foot tall walking talking hulking genetic freak with questionably as much of your original body left as you have now, who's to say you started off with one set of plumbing over the other? You're barely even human anymore and you live your life in either isolation or a form fitting fusion powered tank.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

It's still baffling to me that there's a segment of 40k players who are so brainwormed that they will scream about quitting the game over such a nothingburger

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I encourage them to quit, but realistically they'll grumble and not quit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Desfore posted:

I’m not actively trying to follow this topic on Twitter, but I guess liking a couple posts about Custodes is all it takes to flood your feed with it:

https://x.com/warhammer/status/1779544596172689822?s=46&t=A_8U-gLj0vdEjhuKPT6Drw

The official Warhammer account is doubling down on support for Fem-Custodes, which is cool to see. I’ve just been waiting for someone to open the floodgates on the idea that just because that Custode used “She” pronouns, doesn’t necessarily mean they’re biologically female. And then see chuds’ heads explode at the idea of a genetically engineered meta-human in the year 40,000 being trans.

The transhuman is ... trans? :nsavince: