Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CobiWann posted:

So if the NCR is still around, what's the Commonwealth that was mentioned by the BoS in Episode 1?

Most of the Brotherhood's current power is located in the Boston Commonwealth as of Fallout 4. Years of fighting with the NCR in California drove the West Coast Brotherhood into their bunkers. As of the TV show it looks like the BOS's presence in California is severely depleted. Outside of Maximus's airfield group they don't seem to have any other major outposts in Cali. Unless the Lost Hills bunkers are still active but who knows.

For anyone who is interested, the animator SODAZ has been working on a project depicting the last major battle between the NCR and the Brotherhood of Steel that took place in 2276 during the NCR's push into the Mojave Desert. Here's the first ep and the rest can be found on his channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOtFE3lw8KI

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Am I the only that thinks the BoS stuff feels like dry run for Cavill's 40k show that's in the works?

I mean we got dudes in power armor, cruelty and competition among young people as a means of training and indoctrination and pseudo religious rituals. I mean you could change the power armor design to look like Mark VII and tell me this is 40k and I would believe it. The scale is off 40k would need like million guardsmen running around rather than 100 dudes in the middle of desert.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RoastBeef posted:

If you have 3 and NV (and are playing on pc) it's worth installing Tale of Two Wastelands for better performance and some backported quality of life stuff

Strongly recommend ToTW both because 3 as much as I loved it just doesn't hold up on its own anymore and because it has a fuckton of patches and fixes for both games and is a very smooth installation and play experience. I went through it last year and want to again now lol

I couldn't finish 4 again but had fun going through Automaton for the first time at least

e: There's also a mod I didn't know about that adjusts a ton of dialogue in 3 to account for the player character having visited NV specifically for TotW, so if you start in 3 you're not just a dipshit if you visit and go back lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 14, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

side_burned posted:

Am I the only that thinks the BoS stuff feels like dry run for Cavill's 40k show that's in the works?

I mean we got dudes in power armor, cruelty and competition among young people as a means of training and indoctrination and pseudo religious rituals. I mean you could change the power armor design to look like Mark VII and tell me this is 40k and I would believe it.

the show started sets and production before the 40k stuff came out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tankbuster posted:

the show started sets and production before the 40k stuff came out.

Doesn't mean that the 40K production group won't say "hey, those power armours looked pretty good in Fallout" and go to their design team for assistance.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

RBA Starblade posted:

Strongly recommend ToTW both because 3 as much as I loved it just doesn't hold up on its own anymore and because it has a fuckton of patches and fixes for both games and is a very smooth installation and play experience. I went through it last year and want to again now lol

I couldn't finish 4 again but had fun going through Automaton for the first time at least

e: There's also a mod I didn't know about that adjusts a ton of dialogue in 3 to account for the player character having visited NV specifically for TotW, so if you start in 3 you're not just a dipshit if you visit and go back lol

yeah TTW is the definitive way of playing FO3.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

RBA Starblade posted:

I couldn't finish 4 again but had fun going through Automaton for the first time at least.

Try the mod Sim Settlements 2. It adds so much to settlement building (city plans / new plots / the ability to automate growth and plot placement so you don't have to) and quests to make you feel like you're rebuilding the Commonwealth (A police department and independent judiciary, opening Mass General as an actual hospital, establishing a trading company), along with making the Gunners a real faction with goals and motivations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CobiWann posted:

Try the mod Sim Settlements 2. It adds so much to settlement building (city plans / new plots / the ability to automate growth and plot placement so you don't have to) and quests to make you feel like you're rebuilding the Commonwealth (A police department and independent judiciary, opening Mass General as an actual hospital, establishing a trading company), along with making the Gunners a real faction with goals and motivations.

I've never messed with that and get so bogged down with the settlements that maybe it's time I did lol, didn't know it did anything beyond just vaguely making settlements better/automated

The show really has me wanting to replay everything even though I just did

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

CobiWann posted:

I can't stand the term ASAM otherwise the mod is great.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 14, 2024

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

The NCR got nuked and it's not going to follow any of the possible endings.

Uh what?

The endings were 15 years before the show

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i thought this episode was garbage, personally

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Now that more folks are finishing this, I'm curious -

Would the show have benefited from being a weekly release, instead of the usual streaming format?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DarkLich posted:

Would the show have benefited from being a weekly release, instead of the usual streaming format?

I don't think it matters but getting over a cold I'm glad it dropped at once

I can only imagine how much more whitehot the nerd rage about the NCR would have been though

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I was hoping to see how they handled VATS and they didn't at all which was disappointing.

It would have been hilarious for Goosey to have a HUD pop up and she selected from her inventory, [Beaker full of Acid] and selected nose in forehead guy's head. And then have to apologize for it later.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

DarkLich posted:

I generally prefer weekly releases, maybe with the first 2 or 3 episodes released at once to get things going. While I could personally pace watching them however I want, you lose that communal discussion when they all come out at once. A show like this with a lot of mysteries also loses some of the fun of speculation when you can just watch the next episode to find the answers. As it is, most of the discussion will be dominated by the last episode and ending.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Until this came out I didn't realize whole season drops were even a thing anymore, I thought we'd all agreed weekly was better and to stop it.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I prefer seasons dumps. We have the right as americans to create threads for maybe episode groups like 1-2, 3-5, 6-8.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

yeah what is this, the 1990s? don't need daddy democracy telling me how to watch, give me the show and let me feast on freedom

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Why make the show canon? I'm not someone who is crazy and going to rage out about something being changed, but what purpose does that serve? No one benefits. The games are now constrained by some show and the show is constrained by game stuff, even though we know that means the show takes precedence and can soft retcon a lot of things if needed ( I predict if something is impossible to film or would make the narrative dogshit the directors would be like normal people and not touch whatever aspect ).

I feel like Todd Howard doesn't understand how fans of television or video games work. With a series as big and old as Fallout, it's not like he has a television show where people will go "Woah, this game is canon to [television property]? I got to check that out!". At least not in huge waves. Gamers will no doubt check out the show, but anyone who hasn't played Fallout but watched the show hasn't been lacking Fallout games to play. It just feels dumb, like a dumb person's thought process. I would much, much rather the show depart from canon and change stuff to suit its narrative and be a good show. Instead, my phone is going to get a thousand clickbait article suggestions for "How Episode 9 Changes EVERYTHING We Know About Preston Garvey" or endless other stupid poo poo. Ghoul medicine was a nice addition to give Bible Billy from Righteous Gemstone's character an ongoing conflict that adds tension. I don't want to think about that in the context of a video game series.

So, how does ending the world protect revenue and profit? I can see doing it for control, but blowing the world up intentionally rather than just playing hot and loose selling fear to sell arms until things get too hot is puzzling. Maybe I misunderstood the subtext? Like, if it's a criticism of capitalism that's fine but causing a literal nuclear holocaust for "profit" is dumb and ham-fisted in a way that would bother me more if it wasn't a fun, campy show with a pretty well-designed sinister cabal who meets inside a great movie homage.

Other than some design questions that are pretty minor and curious about other people's thoughts on, I really liked it. It captured the fun and camp of the universe with a lot of the feel of a Fallout game. The main actors all did a great job and Maximus did the best with a very broken, looks like he's about to cry tension on his face in nearly every scene.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I feel like Todd Howard doesn't understand how fans of television or video games work. With a series as big and old as Fallout, it's not like he has a television show where people will go "Woah, this game is canon to [television property]? I got to check that out!".

This did happen actually, for all the games on Steam. All the player counts are up

quote:

So, how does ending the world protect revenue and profit? I can see doing it for control, but blowing the world up intentionally rather than just playing hot and loose selling fear to sell arms until things get too hot is puzzling. Maybe I misunderstood the subtext? Like, if it's a criticism of capitalism that's fine but causing a literal nuclear holocaust for "profit" is dumb and ham-fisted in a way that would bother me more if it wasn't a fun, campy show with a pretty well-designed sinister cabal who meets inside a great movie homage.

They didn't end the world to make money. They ended the world to reduce competition to themselves, then decide which of them gets to "win". The goal is to have a single group remaining that all of humanity is within. It's a bullshit plan for assholes.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 14, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

This did happen actually, for all the games on Steam. All the player counts are up

Yeah I would of been pretty surprised if it didn't. Even if not that many new people brought the games, would of been quite a few fallout fans going back and playing them after watching the show.

That's just how people usally work.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm replaying Fallout 2, been a while.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It occurs to me that unless they are super dumb, they have set up The Dog Episode for (hopefully) Season 2 and that will destroy millions of people emotionally / be one of the greatest pieces of television ever made

e: what are the exact details of the plot? oh I think everybody already knows and it won't make it any less brutal

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What do you mean by "the dog episode"? If dogmeat gets injured he just gets back up again after combat is over.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

No, you trap the dog episode between a couple of force fields and that takes care of it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

No no. Not exactly about Dogmeat although she's going to be the anchor to the present.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nah K4 meets Rex and they have a bunch of beautiful robo dog puppies.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There's no dogs allowed in the Vaults

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

They didn't end the world to make money. They ended the world to reduce competition to themselves, then decide which of them gets to "win". The goal is to have a single group remaining that all of humanity is within. It's a bullshit plan for assholes.

Thanks. That makes sense. Doesn't explain why the Mayor of Portland is in a vault so far away from Oregon, but the rest checks out.

Flesh Forge posted:

Says who?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

No no. Not exactly about Dogmeat although she's going to be the anchor to the present.

This was my favorite obscure? joke in the show.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grand Fromage posted:

This was my favorite obscure? joke in the show.

I was wondering if that was on purpose tbh, but it must be

Thanks. That makes sense. Doesn't explain why the Mayor of Portland is in a vault so far away from Oregon, but the rest checks out.

My wife refuses to call him anything but that lmao. She legit refuses to learn what his actual name is. He's just the Mayor. Fred Armisen showing up made it extra funny

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Flesh Forge posted:

That explains why Overseer didn't let the Vault Dweller back into Vault 13.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Finished it tonight, little thing but Erik Estrada wearing the outfit from the New Vegas cover was cool. That whole outfit looked cool as hell in real life

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Also any Matt Berry is always a great thing

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Why make the show canon?

Not you specifically, but I do think we've all collectively lost our minds over Todd's innocuous phrasing of ""We view what’s happening in the show as canon," by which I'm fairly sure he just meant "Fallout 5 will contain The Ghoul's Gun as a preorder item."

It's an adaptation, no matter how it's framed for PR purposes, and adaptations have to have some grace and flexibility in how they adapt the material.

I didn't love the major consequences of the decision to try and make the show fit into the games' timeline rather than starting fresh, but some of the stuff people are getting into the weeds over - (e8) The show contains a loving and literate nod to Frederick Sinclair, a memorable offscreen character from a beloved if divisive optional DLC out of the 12-year-old spinoff game! However, he appears to now be a senior figure at a company from another DLC which he had more of a close supplier relationship with, according to the computer logs, ummmm, please explain yourselves, Amazon - is setting an impossible standard.

Instead we should all be arguing about (e8) the fact that Vault-Tec does not appear to have even begun construction on some of their vaults by the time of their secret council ("Bud has an idea for three interconnected vaults"), and yet Janey still appears to be exactly the same age by the time of the apocalypse, at least a decade later by the games' timeline. Coop's daughter is a synth, you heard it here first.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Even if Todd's face popped up before each episode and said "This show is not canon to the video games, it's a separate thing that is based on the games" there would still be grognards screeching about how this or that doesn't fit with the games and Todd are loving us again.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm not intimately familiar with the game's lore but none of the apparent contradictions to the canon seem very convincing to me. There's gaps and open questions but nothing that would be impossible to explain with more information.

It did occur to me by around midway through the season that I wasn't necessarily watching an adaption of Fallout 3, it kinda started that way but by the end I realized I instead watched a sequel to New Vegas.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

can I just say, I really loved Thaddeus ("that's why I'm so fat")

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

grobbo posted:

Not you specifically, but I do think we've all collectively lost our minds over Todd's innocuous phrasing of ""We view what’s happening in the show as canon," by which I'm fairly sure he just meant "Fallout 5 will contain The Ghoul's Gun as a preorder item."

It's an adaptation, no matter how it's framed for PR purposes, and adaptations have to have some grace and flexibility in how they adapt the material.

Nah, they'll do what they always do, if the show is popular -which while we don't have any numbers, it does fortunately seem to be- they'll take all the bits that work from it and politely ignore what doesn't. Like even between fallout games made by the same studio the "cannon" changed a bit.

With the major changes made, yeah I think they'll probably stick to it. if (all eps) another studio does a west coast game and want to use the NCR they'll probably just be able to go so how about we says 'oh hey they're a whole bunch of NCR way up coast and they're continue a okay' so we'll just set our game there then, they'd probably be fine with that as well, and then go with that going forwards. From hearing Sawyer talk about when they did New Vegas, seems like Bethesda basically said, hey there's a few locations and things we'd like to keep for our next game, so don't set your game there, or mess around with those things too much, but otherwise like go wild, so I can imagine it would of been pretty similar with this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Cojawfee posted:

Even if Todd's face popped up before each episode and said "This show is not canon to the video games, it's a separate thing that is based on the games" there would still be grognards screeching about how this or that doesn't fit with the games and Todd are loving us again.

todd hosed up by buying the franchise. This could have been a TES thread and we could have seen Muatra in glorious detail.

Also I liked the idea of a weirdo snake oil salesman whose snake oil actually worked.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 14, 2024