Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Speleothing posted:

They even changed Duncan's death from "ornithopter explosion" to "cut down by 6 sardaukar" to make his resurrection more plausible.

Cut down by sardaukar is how he dies in the first book though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
he died the same way in the book. in a later book they even give a count of how many guys he killed (19).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
In the first book I thought he died in a cave collapsing from the general chaos of the Harkonnen artillery/stuff crashing/etc.

My way of making his resurrection more plausible would have been to have had him get captured and be the healthy gladiator Feyd kills in the arena

Are we ready for silver-eyed Jason Mamoa?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

How come no one knows how this dude died lol. Is the book that bad

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

he definitely died the same in the first movie as he does in the book, although iirc in the book it basically happens "off screen"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

it's a very good book. some might say "The Good Book."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBpTkzVkgDY

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

CelticPredator posted:

It gets hard to keep track.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It gets hard to keep track.

also a good point

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's a very good book. some might say "The Good Book."

The Good Book, also known as Dune

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The golden book

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Neo Rasa posted:

Yes

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

CelticPredator posted:

No, it's a cornerstone of the genre for a reason. That it came out in the 60s, like there could've been a scene in Mad Men with Roger Sterling reading it, still blows my mind.

That said, it's a dense book with a high bar of entry just on account of the details and concepts it throws at the reader inside the first hundred pages (a pretty common criticism of a lot of sci-fi from that era). I'd read A Game of Thrones/A Clash of Kings/A Storm of Swords back in 2003 and Dune around 2007 for a sci-fi/fantasy class in college, and I remember telling myself that if I could keep Martin's houses straight, I could make it through Dune.

None of the sequels are as good as the first book, though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

On average Duncan Idaho died by being crushed in cave

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I actually had an old drunk guy at a train station think my copy of dune was a bible once

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

In the first book I thought he died in a cave collapsing from the general chaos of the Harkonnen artillery/stuff crashing/etc.

My way of making his resurrection more plausible would have been to have had him get captured and be the healthy gladiator Feyd kills in the arena

Duncan Idaho "resurrection" is done by making a clone, and for that all you need is some dna. The novels are build on the premise the DNA store memories of the individual lives. So you can make a clone, and if you find a way to reawaken the original person, is a type of .... extended life. The original body is unnecesary.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No way that Duncan didn’t leave some dna on Caladan

Grag the thunfler
Apr 14, 2024

beer is the mind-killer. beer is the little-death that brings total obliteration. i will face my beer. i will permit it to pass over me and through me. and when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. where the beer has gone there will be nothing. only I will remain.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Grag the thunfler posted:

beer is the mind-killer. beer is the little-death that brings total obliteration. i will face my beer. i will permit it to pass over me and through me. and when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. where the beer has gone there will be nothing. only I will remain.

this is the plot of Doon.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tei posted:

Duncan Idaho "resurrection" is done by making a clone, and for that all you need is some dna. The novels are build on the premise the DNA store memories of the individual lives. So you can make a clone, and if you find a way to reawaken the original person, is a type of .... extended life. The original body is unnecesary.

Yeah but having access to the body might be helpful with getting some DNA

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't really know what frank thought DNA was ultimately. It's sort of like the duniverse version of phlogiston or ether basically

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't really know what frank thought DNA was ultimately. It's sort of like the duniverse version of phlogiston or ether basically

If he knew anything other than “stuff in the nucleus of cells” he would’ve been named in a Nobel prize in medicine and been a founder of molecular biology.

For example the first academic paper describing the concept of the genetic code was published a year after Dune was published.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The Tleilaxu (sometimes called the Bene Tleilax), aside from one off-hand mention of them by the Baron, are introduced in Dune Messiah and incorporate a lot of the new research on Genetics that came out after Dune, they are more direct rivals to the Bene Gesserit than the Guild are since they are capable and willing to use direct genetic engineering instead of the selective breeding favored by the Bene Gesserit. They become increasingly important as the series goes on.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

The Tleilaxu (sometimes called the Bene Tleilax),

I always thought it fuckin' ruled that in Phantasy Star II if one of your characters dies, instead of taking them to a church to get resurrected like in Wizardry/etc. fantasy games, you bring them to what is totally a Bene Tleilax cloning lab to get them rebuilt.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AnEdgelord posted:

The Tleilaxu (sometimes called the Bene Tleilax), aside from one off-hand mention of them by the Baron, are introduced in Dune Messiah and incorporate a lot of the new research on Genetics that came out after Dune, they are more direct rivals to the Bene Gesserit than the Guild are since they are capable and willing to use direct genetic engineering instead of the selective breeding favored by the Bene Gesserit. They become increasingly important as the series goes on.

It's always funny how old sci fi shamelessly jumps on any new ideas at the time, especially ones the author clearly doesn't quite understand but is still enthusiastic for.

Also ends up interesting since the Tleilaxu and Ixians seem to be both reclusive, secretive societies that pursue scientific and technological fields lost or outright forbidden to the rest of the galaxy, and do some mad science poo poo but are treated somewhat neutrally by the narrative and characters. Leto II even seems to be fond of them and encourages their shenanigans. IIRC there's even a bit where they spot a shapeshifting spy, and are basically like 'Hey, I saw you there. Heh, that's a pretty cool trick, wanna hang around?'

Despite the setting being a space feudal empire full of ruthless plotting and planning, I feel like a big theme is all the characters are people, and they all have foibles, feelings, senses of wonder and curiosity. Stands out with how much hacky sci fi and fantasy has everyone be stunted incurious fearful morons.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The Bene Tleilax has spies everywhere, and dna records of everyone important.

Specially at arrakis,

What I don't know is the relation of the Tleilaxu with the spice, If theres a mention of that in the books, I forgot.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

all the characters are people, and they all have foibles, feelings, senses of wonder and curiosity. Stands out with how much hacky sci fi and fantasy has everyone be stunted incurious fearful morons.

dunno how it is in the original book but the "3" body problem Netflix adaptation was unwatchable cause of this

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Having watched Dune 2 twice now it's safe to say it's the best Dune adaptation and there's no real competition. Dune '84 still has the best version of the Baron and much to recommend it, but yeah.

I was able to dig up the Sci Fi Channel's Dune/Dune sequel miniseries sets. Their version of the first Dune book in particular, while arguably the most complete adaptation of the book, sucks on many levels. I can mostly forgive the costuming and sets looking like a bad episode of Star Trek Voyager. But the acting is usually dreadful and the effects are clown poo poo. And it's annoying to watch another adaptation of Dune that is again almost nothing but lily white people.

The acting and effects are significantly better in Sci Fi's Children of Dune. Unlike the first miniseries, that one's actually enjoyable, although by the plot it is clear that Denis Villeneuve has an uphill battle ahead to make something as coherent with that as his first two movies. The story feels much more "unfilmable" than the original Dune and it will be interesting to see how people react to the general thrust of it.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Grag the thunfler posted:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Found this yesterday; a spoof Cartoon Network Dune show.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t like it for some reason

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Arglebargle III posted:

Dune has to be a psychedelic rock opera. There's no other way to adapt it to a musical.

Dr. Yueh unplugs the Atreides amps at the end of act 2.

It needs to be a concept album and a laser light show at the local planetarium.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Hairless Harkonens are meh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They're not called Hairkonnens

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
I finally get to watch Dune 2 on my TV. It's glorious.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Schwarzwald posted:

Unless I heavily misunderstood Blood Boils, I think they were primarily noting how Paul had a very particular set of biases, which would have factored into his decision making. I don't think that contradicts him being a powerful oracle or any other of the series premises.

Yup! None of the premises are contingent on "the main character is always correct and could never deceive themselves or you dear reader". I rate Herbert well below I dunno, Vance or Farmer, but he's more interesting than that. Certainly no hack like his poor deluded son.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's Always Zensunni on Arrakis

Charlie Goes Mahdi On Everyone's Asses

CelticPredator posted:

It's good fun, it's just fairly light on detailed descriptions of action. From a distance, Paul sees blood "blossom" on Duncan before a lazer-on-shield subatomic explosion takes out his retainers last stand. Could be a blade cut or pistol shot, doesn't really matter.

The best running joke of the series is how everyone thinks Idaho is a sexy badass but he actually just dies constantly and takes several millenia before he learns how to please a woman

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They're not called Hairkonnens

Har-koneheads

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Blood Boils posted:

It's good fun, it's just fairly light on detailed descriptions of action. From a distance, Paul sees blood "blossom" on Duncan before a lazer-on-shield subatomic explosion takes out his retainers last stand. Could be a blade cut or pistol shot, doesn't really matter.

He gets domed by a slow pellet.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
He gets offed by Harkonens rediscovering the ancient long forgotten technological magic of … simple guns? Or am I just misremembering based on the Lynch adaptation?

And then Fremen have the secret weapon of like, normal pistols also?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No they're definitely not normal guns.