Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

I played Demeo today with some friends, it's probably the best game I've played in VR (maybe Walkabout is about as good?) I found it really enjoyable. Has anyone played Demeo Battles? Is it a sequel or what?

I got Battles because it was cheaper and the rounds are quick. Apparently Demeo proper doesn't let you save mid-game which is real dumb.

It's fun, I haven't played real people yet but the single player challenges are entertaining. The AR integration is fantastic, but I wish the hand tracking worked a little better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

AndrewP posted:

I got Battles because it was cheaper and the rounds are quick. Apparently Demeo proper doesn't let you save mid-game which is real dumb.

Now it does, but they needed YEARS to finally implement the feature.

Beastie posted:

This looks sick but it looks like it's not actually available yet.

You are right, it seems it will release in some hours I guess? the news said April 11th.
It's also on Steam, of course
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1285920/VR_Skater/?ref=uploadvr.com

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

My top 3 wishlisted games are Swarm 2, Medieval Dynasty, and Max Mustard. Anyone have impressions on them?

I tried playing Bonelab again. It was so janky, I couldn't even climb up a ladder after 6 tries. How the hell did I manage to beat it the first time. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the body settings.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm about 75% of the way through Max Mustard and it's quite fun if a little bit unpolished. The stages are mechanically (if not always visually) diverse and creative.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Skater Boi game just dropped. Very much looking forwards to checking it out after work. I'll post impressions and a referral when I can

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMbKM9_IMS8
Another golf game.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Is there or will there be game compatibility limitations between the different versions of Quest? like this game works on Quest3 but won't work on Quest1?

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

The Grey posted:

Is there or will there be game compatibility limitations between the different versions of Quest? like this game works on Quest3 but won't work on Quest1?

yeah, Meta has banned the publishing of games targeting Quest 1

https://www.roadtovr.com/meta-discontinues-quest-1-apps-support/

And we're beginning to see Quest 3 only games. The alternative is limiting everything to quest 2 performance, which would be lame.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

I was about to say what a brazen clone but it's from the actual Everybody's Golf devs.

They've come a long way since the Playstation! Just... not in the good direction.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Stan Taylor posted:

If I want to be social I go outside and hang out for real. There is no way I would put on a headset to hang out. It sucks.
There's some edge-case stuff for people where it might be good. There's, like, one popular VTuber that's basically home-bound due to degenerative disease.

Plus the whole phenomenon of kids being "social, alone" by hanging out and being on their phones texting or playing games. There should be an "alone, socially" to match.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Got a PuppisXR S1 and seeing how small this thing is and how well it works out of the box I am convinced that future of standalone VR is offboarding the computation into a small console that can stream to a lightweight headset that is mostly just the display hardware.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Contractors has a battle royale coming out at the end of the month. It looks and plays like Warzone, and has great gunplay. I'm very excited about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS7NmlqLFUw

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Contractors has a battle royale coming out at the end of the month. It looks and plays like Warzone, and has great gunplay. I'm very excited about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS7NmlqLFUw

It's good, I played the beta. The grenade throwing sucks but it's less janky than Population 1

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Sorry if I am dumb or something, but of the headsets in the OP it seems like the Quest 3 is the only “good” future facing headset right now? Is that accurate?

And also are the machine specs in the OP still good? Seems lower than I would have expected.

Use case is PC VR gaming (ideally I’d love to run the VR mods for Cyberpunk2077).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Especially with the Quest 3 or other high resolution standalone headsets you want at least a ~3060ti or so for the best experience, but don't expect everything to run smoothly while maxed - I still get occasional stutters in e.g. OhShape PCVR maxed, which you'd think wouldn't be too demanding with a 3070ti and 5800X3D.

This is partly because of the increased resolution and partly because there is a very significant processing load for streaming at that quality (for that it helps if you have a 40 series GPU for hardware AV1, since the Q3 supports it on the decode end). The way PCVR works on Quest is basically the same as streaming PC games to your phone via Steam Link, the screen output has to be encoded into a video stream which is then played back by the headset. You can of course stream at a lower quality and/or resolution, but then you're giving up on image fidelity.

But yeah the Quest 3 is probably the best thing around, certainly in terms of value per dollar. In some ways the Index can be better (tracking, latency, no transcoding), particularly so with a weaker system, since the lower resolution and no need for expensive enconding helps a lot, but the display and lenses on the Quest 3 are miles ahead. The other Q3 features like passthrough, wireless, exclusives, hand and body tracking, etc. are also pretty great.

For Cyberpunk in particular I'd expect the requirements to be pretty high, since even on flatscreen you're barely getting the best experience at 4K even on the very high end in terms of hardware. I've never tried the mod but largely because I already have to compromise with the graphics settings in that game without VR.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 14, 2024

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I have a 4090 and Cyberpunk runs fine but not ideal for VR smoothness. Def plenty of jank and there will be a lot of friction for your first VR experience.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Considering buying another VR headset after returning a Quest 3 earlier in the year to fund a Steam Deck OLED.
Was mightily impressed but wanted a Dreck more.

I'm in Australia, and Amazon have the Quest 2 for $359, whereas base model Q3 is $799.
I really enjoyed my time with the Quest 3, but I'm cash poor and quite impulsive, so am trying to convince myself to wait until I have the munny for a Q3 again.

At that price, is the Quest 2 worth it over a potential few months wait for a Q3?

Case use: standalone VR, do not have a Gaming PC, largely for hoping to lose weight with exercise games/rhythm games.
Thanks in advance goons

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

23 Skidoo posted:

I'm in Australia, and Amazon have the Quest 2 for $359, whereas base model Q3 is $799.
I really enjoyed my time with the Quest 3, but I'm cash poor and quite impulsive, so am trying to convince myself to wait until I have the munny for a Q3 again.

At that price, is the Quest 2 worth it over a potential few months wait for a Q3?

quest 2 sold enough that it will probably continue to be supported for a while in most games but there are already quest 3 exclusives coming out

however all evidence is pointing to a cheaper version of the quest 3 coming out soon (lots of rumors but also the fact that they've slashed the price of quest 2 to clear out inventory), so if I were you I would wait to see what that's like

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Take it with a grain of salt as it's only my own personal experience, but after getting a Q3 I don't think I could really go back to a Q2, even something as simple as the passthrough makes it so much more convenient to use. It's higher res, you can adjust the IPD instead of hoping one of the three presets works for you, and just overall it offers you more options and a smoother experience.

If you had pre-existing access to a Q2 to use for a few months before you pick up the 3 sure, but I wouldn't advise buying one just so you can buy a q3 so soon after.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

TIP posted:

I would wait to see what that's like

good points all.

Jerusalem posted:

but after getting a Q3 I don't think I could really go back to a Q2,
If you had pre-existing access to a Q2 to use for a few months before you pick up the 3 sure, but I wouldn't advise buying one just so you can buy a q3 so soon after.

Yeah, had a Q2 in the past, and loved it, but my few days with the Q3 blew it out of the water.

Thanks goons, will wait

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://x.com/id_aa_carmack/status/1779171248083177500?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Remember when I told y'all that you could try the Quest 3 with those extended holiday returns? I brought mine back to Wal-Mart on the very last day of the extended returns, January 31st or whatever it was. They told me the computer wouldn't let them return it even though it said on paper that I could.

So I filed a credit card dispute that day with all the documentation, just bringing it up now because I was just notified the chargeback is now permanent.

Thanks for the headset, Waltons! Goes great with the free 4080 that I made Bezos comp me.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Such a neutral and apolitical guy. Definitely didn't mean to openly support bigotry and regressivism no sir.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

lmao

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I pity ol Palmer Lucky. I hope he's able to succeed at his new company where he makes drones that target poors or whatever.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Is the Referral code (Australia, etc) system setup so you can only claim it once per account or once per device?
Their info page refers to having to be a new user, but I claimed a referral credit about 6 months ago, but then life/ADHD got in the way (and also made me impulsively buy a Q3 just now) and I want free corpomonies from megacorps who can obviously afford it, and I'll be damned if I'll give up in under 30 minutes *squirrel!*

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaV2WOCmNhk

Into the Radius 2

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 14, 2024

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cojawfee posted:

I pity ol Palmer Lucky. I hope he's able to succeed at his new company where he makes drones that target poors or whatever.

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1779185289975464385

carmack is also pro murder drones

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Excellent. Thank you!!

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

If by poors you mean russians that are currently genociding ukraine then yes.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

CatHorse posted:

They pivoted to that, the original target application was border patrol ie shooting the poors

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

CatHorse posted:

Since you seem so fervently supportive of Ukraine how do you square that Palmer hosts fundraisers for the guy who says we should stop supporting Ukraine

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/16/palmer-luckey-to-host-trump-fundraiser-in-southern-california.html

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/10/politics/trump-foreign-aid-loan-senate-package/index.html

I make this post fully acknowledging this person will not respond until the next time someone says something mean about the guy who pals around with holocaust deniers

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Palmer Luckey is a cringe piece of poo poo and it's embarrassing that the VR industry can't move on from him.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Lemming posted:

Since you seem so fervently supportive of Ukraine how do you square that Palmer hosts fundraisers for the guy who says we should stop supporting Ukraine

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/16/palmer-luckey-to-host-trump-fundraiser-in-southern-california.html

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/10/politics/trump-foreign-aid-loan-senate-package/index.html

I make this post fully acknowledging this person will not respond until the next time someone says something mean about the guy who pals around with holocaust deniers

I have no idea who he hosts fundraisers for. I was responding to a comment saying he makes drones to kill the poors.

mutata posted:

Palmer Luckey is a cringe piece of poo poo and it's embarrassing that the VR industry can't move on from him.

Neither Carmack nor Luckey are involved in VR. But you and others keep bringing them up.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 14, 2024

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

CatHorse posted:

Neither Carmack nor Luckey are involved in VR. But you and others keep bringing them up.

What on earth is this take. It sucks but they've got to be the two most prominent names in the entire field's history, unless you maybe want to put Zuckerberg in there. Just because they're not actively working in VR right now doesn't mean their place in it suddenly disappears.

Gotta admit I've been pretty bummed by Carmack's comments the past year or so. I'd hardly call it a descent into conservatism since it doesn't actually seem like he descended so much as has just started shouting from the abyss he's always been dwelling in, but it used to be easy to overlook in a way it kind of isn't now.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 14, 2024

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

CatHorse posted:

I have no idea who he hosts fundraisers for. I was responding to a comment saying he makes drones to kill the poors.

CatHorse posted:

TIL that helping Ukraine defend itself from invasion makes them racist.

I mean you clearly know enough about him that you think he's good because he's helping out Ukraine, and you keep bringing that up every time it's mentioned that he started his new company to make drones to hunt down immigrants in the desert https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/inside-anduril-startup-building-ai-powered-military-technology-n1061771

It's just pretty cringe that you won't reply to what anyone's criticism of him is and throw up random smokescreens about Ukraine when he's actually just a racist war profiteer and took concrete steps to support the person who's trying to stop the US from supporting Ukraine. It's weird!

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Lemming posted:

I mean you clearly know enough about him that you think he's good because he's helping out Ukraine, and you keep bringing that up every time it's mentioned that he started his new company to make drones to hunt down immigrants in the desert https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/inside-anduril-startup-building-ai-powered-military-technology-n1061771

It's just pretty cringe that you won't reply to what anyone's criticism of him is and throw up random smokescreens about Ukraine when he's actually just a racist war profiteer and took concrete steps to support the person who's trying to stop the US from supporting Ukraine. It's weird!

That's the thing. Him hosting a trump fundraiser is a valid, sourced criticism. Making drones to kill the poors is not. And the article you linked appears to be about anti-drone drones.

Koramei posted:

What on earth is this take. It sucks but they've got to be the two most prominent names in the entire field's history, unless you maybe want to put Zuckerberg in there. Just because they're not actively working in VR right now doesn't mean their place in it suddenly disappears.

It is a reply to mutata complaining that "VR industry can't move on from him".

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 14, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
lol

anyway i've finally dived into underdogs and am pleased that im breaking a sweat and working out basically all my muscles. a little sore but its a great ride. wish there was more mech on mech combat because thats kind of the highlight of the fights to me

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

CatHorse posted:

That's the thing. Him hosting a trump fundraiser is a valid, sourced criticism. Making drones to kill the poors is not. And the article you linked appears to be about anti-drone drones.

Well, you're completely wrong (I highly suggest actually reading the article) but here's another one that goes better into the founding point https://www.wired.com/story/palmer-luckey-anduril-border-wall/

quote:

The system I’m trying out is Luckey’s solution to how the US should detect unauthorized border crossings. It merges VR with surveillance tools to create a digital wall that is not a barrier so much as a web of all-seeing eyes, with intelligence to know what it sees. Luckey’s company, Anduril Industries, is pitching its technology to the Department of Homeland Security as a complement to—or substitute for—much of President Trump’s promised physical wall along the border with Mexico.

So he explicitly created the company to pitch to Trump that he could use drones to support the racism wall along the southern border, and then further leveraged that into war profiteering. Again, Trump, the guy who tried blackmailing Ukraine into getting dirt into his political opponent, and then went on to support Russia against Ukraine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Lemming posted:

So he explicitly created the company to pitch to Trump that he could use drones to support the racism wall along the southern border, and then further leveraged that into war profiteering.

Not drones, this thing https://www.anduril.com/hardware/sentry/