Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Tankbuster posted:

todd hosed up by buying the franchise. This could have been a TES thread and we could have seen Muatra in glorious detail.

Also I liked the idea of a weirdo snake oil salesman whose snake oil actually worked.

Are we on the same page that he's been the one going around just creating ghouls for fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Tankbuster posted:

Also I liked the idea of a weirdo snake oil salesman whose snake oil actually worked.

My takeaway from all that (ep 7?) is that the chicken-loving guy had swiped a vial of FEV from somewhere and we're going to see Thaddeus stomping around as a very awkward Super Mutant with a pencil moustache, which is fun. The liquid was sort of green.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Are we on the same page that he's been the one going around just creating ghouls for fun?

that seems to be more of an unfortunate side effect. Either way, it dovetails perfectly with the Vault 4 rugpull where you think the people are doing weird cultist poo poo and doing horrifying experiments on women and it turns out to be the opposite. Things aren't what they seem in the wasteland. As an aside the general store lady in Filly explicitly calls Lucy a Sardine-fucker, which implies that word got around the area of what happened in Vault 4. It adds a little more substance she had in being bigoted to Lucy.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I'm just about half-way through. My thoughts:

1. Why is Howard so awful? Like not even selfish and cold but actively cruel. Is there something that can turn a reasonably good man into that?

2. This show is making me think too much about power armour. Like, I am unlikely to use full-on power armour in my lifetime. And I am unlikely to even ever be in the same room as a piece of power armour in my lifetime. But now I'm thinking about the positives and negatives of various versions of how it could work.

3. Ella Purnell is full-on captivating. I don't know if she's a spectacular actress. She may be. I don't know. What I do know is that I love her in this role so utterly much. I was worried the character would be a Kimmy Schmidt but she isn't that at all.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Bright Bart posted:

I'm just about half-way through. My thoughts:

1. Why is Howard so awful? Like not even selfish and cold but actively cruel. Is there something that can turn a reasonably good man into that?

I can think of a couple of things

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Bright Bart posted:

200 years living hand to mouth as an abomination in Hell who has a condition that will turn him into a zombie if he doesn't do anything it takes for a regular supply of medication?

When were introduced to him in the shows present we're told he's been kept in isolation buried alive and dug up periodically for torture for the past few years/decades.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Bright Bart posted:

3. Ella Purnell is full-on captivating. I don't know if she's a spectacular actress. She may be. I don't know. What I do know is that I love her in this role so utterly much. I was worried the character would be a Kimmy Schmidt but she isn't that at all.

She really is great. She plays it perfect from simple innocence to 'poo poo-I-just cut Ben's head off', to some really emotional moments deep in. And I had no idea she was a Brit using an American accent, and also the voice of Gwynn on Star Trek: Prodigy (which is a great role, but to be fair imo her VA never stood out as spectacular, only capable).

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I'm hoping season 2 has more energy weapons. My initial draw to this franchise back in '98 was energy weapons in an RPG. Someone needs to wield the Gaston Glock AI's greatest creation.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

Owlbear Camus posted:

200 years living hand to mouth as an abomination in Hell who has a condition that will turn him into a zombie if he doesn't do anything it takes for a regular supply of medication?

When were introduced to him in the shows present we're told he's been kept in isolation buried alive and dug up periodically for torture for the past few years/decades.

Baiting that kid into reaching for a gun was a really lovely thing to do. That being said, it was a pretty cool homage to The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

RangerKarl posted:

I'm hoping season 2 has more energy weapons. My initial draw to this franchise back in '98 was energy weapons in an RPG. Someone needs to wield the Gaston Glock AI's greatest creation.

I'd be surprised if we didn't see someone get dissolved into a pile of ash at some point. They're probably trying not to introduce too many things too quickly to keep show from getting overwhelmed by a deluge of concepts that'd need explaining.

w0o0o0o fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 14, 2024

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
I liked how Lucy didn't have a high enough sneak skill trying to hide from the labcoat in the cryo section.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I thought the show was pretty good, though I don't really believe Lucy being in love with dopey rear end Maximus

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

She's tired of cousin stuff alright!

There aren't many options and at least this dork is unlikely to secretly be a raider stealing the identity of the dude who stole another dude's identity. He just stole that identity and it ends there.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I've watched the first three episodes and thought its good so far. The only thing that is irking me a little bit is the Vault 33 naivete amongst the population, it comes across as people don't know how the real world works now. I get that they are suppose to be aloof eggheads and I've played Fallout enough to know that's how they are but this came across as violent criminals are violent and people in modern america don't know that they are irredeemable.

Or maybe I am just being sensitive, I dunno.

That being said Ella Purnell, plays it amazing. Sure a bit naive but adaptable and trying to live up to her values.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Mooseontheloose posted:

That being said Ella Purnell, plays it amazing. Sure a bit naive but adaptable and trying to live up to her values.

A not-insignificant part of me hopes they're secretly filming a parallel evil playthrough but I acknowledge that's not at all likely.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

I'm pausing mid episode 7 to post in appreciation for something they did with a common story beat

after max and lucy return the fusion core to vault 4, max confesses he isn't a real knight and let a guy die. 95% of the time, a confession like this would be a moment in the story where lucy is disgusted and she and max are now at a distance and something has to happen for him to re-prove himself to her. but instead, the show just says nah gently caress it waste of time, lucy gets it. she immediately overlooks it and they remain as close as they are.

not only does that make me like lucy even more but the show has just skipped what would've been a very boring episode of them fighting over something stupid which is completely understandable.

also the twist that vault 4 is actually just super weird and not evil at all was great.

show rules

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yeah, Lucy is a good character and really the only boring part of the show has been waiting for Maximus to stop mouth breathing and fuckin say something, anything, in all of his scenes

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

hawowanlawow posted:

I thought the show was pretty good, though I don't really believe Lucy being in love with dopey rear end Maximus

i think they played with her conveniently not noticing him doing dork things. especially that early scene with him flying.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

What people said but I really loved the conclusion in vault 4. Really subverted expectations by a lot

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I didn't play the games are all knights and paladins as big dirtbags as Titus? Or are only only bad in the way the Jedi are bad and this one just slippers through the cracks?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Bright Bart posted:

I didn't play the games are all knights and paladins as big dirtbags as Titus? Or are only only bad in the way the Jedi are bad and this one just slippers through the cracks?

A lot of them are but a lot of them aren't.

You know, like, people.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Accipiter posted:

A lot of them are but a lot of them aren't.

You know, like, people.

Also, the knights have different factions in different parts of the Wasteland, some more fanatical and zealous than others. And then I think each era might be a different shade of good or bad too.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gaspy Conana posted:

i think they played with her conveniently not noticing him doing dork things. especially that early scene with him flying.

Also a lot of people in her vault were pretty dorky, so that's sorta what she's used to. Yeah as a person he may suck, but from her point of view he was one of the only nice people in the wasteland, who she saw trying to do the right thing, even if he failed at it quite a bit. The romance totally made sense to me.

Occasionally thought Maximus was a bit of annoying character to watch just as he was so indecisive about stuff, but the character did make sense to me, and I did like what they we're trying to do with the character and thought the actor did a good job with it, but sometimes it seems like they were just doing the same beats again and again. I get why as sometimes character growth happens slow but it can be a bit eh to watch.

I mean Lucy also had her character growth happen slow but that was actually entertaining to watch.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, the knights have different factions in different parts of the Wasteland, some more fanatical and zealous than others. And then I think each era might be a different shade of good or bad too.

It's not even each era, different chapters of the BoS of the same era can be pretty different from each other. Some more zealous, some more isolationist, some more lets just try and help everyone. It's an organisation that's been around for close to 200 years, and spread over quite a few different places with different leaders, so you get schisms.

But generally they're quite bigoted against anything "non-human", very rule based and structured, and horde technology, that's sort of their core things.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
IIRC your first introduction to the Brotherhood, in the entire series, is getting sent on a wild goose chase into a fatally irradiated hole, by a guy who's basically loving with you. Lost Hills or not these guys remind me of that doorman a lot.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
I'm succeeding in fighting the need to reinstall any of the Fallouts for now, but in a couple of weeks I've got some off booked for Fallout: London's release

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Technocrat posted:

I'm succeeding in fighting the need to reinstall any of the Fallouts for now, but in a couple of weeks I've got some off booked for Fallout: London's release

I suggest rescheduling, the new patch for Fallout 4 is set to come out April 23rd and FO London's team has already indefinitely delayed their release.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

RangerKarl posted:

IIRC your first introduction to the Brotherhood, in the entire series, is getting sent on a wild goose chase into a fatally irradiated hole, by a guy who's basically loving with you. Lost Hills or not these guys remind me of that doorman a lot.

While this is true, and Cabbott is an rear end in a top hat, the Glow is one of the coolest places to explore

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also once you get into the BoS bunker some of the people in it are quite nice! Others are also assholes though.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It's a complicated organization

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bright Bart posted:

This isn’t brought up in the show but the Brotherhood have been in a bit of turmoil for the last twenty years and there's ideological splits going on between the various chapters. A big point of contention is recruitment from outside of the BOS itself. If the goal of the Brotherhood is to preserve technology and keep it out of the hands of those who would misuse it, why the hell would we allow wastelanders to join our ranks rather than just have our own kids and keep it within the community? So some BOS chapters split as a result.

What we're seeing in the show are members of the east coast Brotherhood chapters coming back west on their mission. The East Coast Brotherhood openly recruits from the Wasteland and initially was much more altruistic than the xenophobic members back west. They actually fought for the betterment of the Wasteland in Washington DC against a scourge of mutants and fascist paramilitary groups. However after the (suspicious) deaths of ruling members of the BOS in the capital wasteland, a new Elder was chosen, Arthur Maxson, a descendent of the original founder of the Brotherhood, Roger Maxson.

Arthur is not a nice person, but he's ambitious and he has the right name. Taking command of the east coast groups the BOS outcasts rejoined and the altruism faded away in favour of much more aggressive crusades against abominations and tech misuse. Outsiders can join and in general there seems to have been something of an attitude shift as a result. You're now hot poo poo marching around in Power Armour and big guns. The appeal to abuse power is tangible, especially when we look at the way the current flavour of Brotherhood appears to encourage bullying in their squire training. Thaddeus beats on Max because he and his cronies can, Max bullies him back because Power Armour means now HE can.

So you've got a bunch of people plodding around in Power Armour who enjoy the perks of being an rear end in a top hat to those weaker than them because their society has encouraged it in their training. It makes sense in the BOS's current context but you can't help feeling a bit sad that they've changed into much more pushy assholes than they were before when they were secluded isolationists.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

RangerKarl posted:

I suggest rescheduling, the new patch for Fallout 4 is set to come out April 23rd and FO London's team has already indefinitely delayed their release.

Dang. Thanks for the heads-up, otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed until St George's Day itself

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

It makes sense in the BOS's current context but you can't help feeling a bit sad that they've changed into much more pushy assholes than they were before when they were secluded isolationists.

It does make sense that when the BoS chapters leave their bunkers and are living in the outside world more, they increasingly become pushy assholes.

But yeah I liked fallout 1 followed by New Vegas BoS versions most. The other ones make sense, but those versions seemed more interesting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wee Bairns posted:

She really is great. She plays it perfect from simple innocence to 'poo poo-I-just cut Ben's head off', to some really emotional moments deep in. And I had no idea she was a Brit using an American accent, and also the voice of Gwynn on Star Trek: Prodigy (which is a great role, but to be fair imo her VA never stood out as spectacular, only capable).

She's also fantastic as Jinx in Arcane. Purnell gets a pretty wide range to play with given Jinx's... eccentricities.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

dr_rat posted:

It does make sense that when the BoS chapters leave their bunkers and are living in the outside world more, they increasingly become pushy assholes.

But yeah I liked fallout 1 followed by New Vegas BoS versions most. The other ones make sense, but those versions seemed more interesting.

To be clear I don't mean it's sad that they're not more like the original California chapters. I mean it's sad that they're another example of a good idea that gets warped over time by the cruelty of the Wasteland and the unchanging nature of war.

From a storytelling side I actually quite like how the Washington and Commonwealth Brotherhoods are so different from California and Nevada.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 14, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah it's nice seeing them change, but does have a bit of a best intentions things. But like the NCR you can say see from early on that problems are there, and they just sort of keep growing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

From a storytelling side I actually quite like how the Washington and Commonwealth Brotherhoods are so different from California and Nevada.

I remember when 3 dropped some folks were genuinely spitting mad that Lyons' chapter (well, most of it) went semi-altruistic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Going back to just the show, I do feel that the Brotherhood could have had a bit more explanation going on. It's to the show's benefit and detriment that it throws the audience into the wasteland without much context. When we're following Lucy it works great because it plays off of her naivete and lets wasteland groups and concepts stand as self evident.

But for the Brotherhood it ends up making them feel thinly sketched rather than a 200+ year old society that has undergone several upheavals over the years. The debate over what the Brotherhood currently is versus what the Elder remembers it being (and what he thinks it should be) is almost a footnote in the last episode rather than a question that I think should have been asked much sooner.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

Going back to just the show, I do feel that the Brotherhood could have had a bit more explanation going on. It's to the show's benefit and detriment that it throws the audience into the wasteland without much context. When we're following Lucy it works great because it plays off of her naivete and lets wasteland groups and concepts stand as self evident.

But for the Brotherhood it ends up making them feel thinly sketched rather than a 200+ year old society that has undergone several upheavals over the years. The debate over what the Brotherhood currently is versus what the Elder remembers it being (and what he thinks it should be) is almost a footnote in the last episode rather than a question that I think should have been asked much sooner.

Yeah, the bit with "...so wait, you guys USE advanced technology in order to FIND advanced technology so nobody else can USE advanced technology? What??" "Ha ha, yeah, it is a bit weird, I guess" was frustrating writing, because it's not weird or confusing at all! Take this opportunity to explain what you believe!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

grobbo posted:

Yeah, the bit with "...so wait, you guys USE advanced technology in order to FIND advanced technology so nobody else can USE advanced technology? What??" "Ha ha, yeah, it is a bit weird, I guess" was frustrating writing, because it's not weird or confusing at all! Take this opportunity to explain what you believe!

I dunno, it kind of worked for me because Maximus is actually pretty stupid so a sentence like that would probably twist his brain into knots at least in the moment. He also has the whole unquestioning thing going on, in a lot of ways he's still got the mind of a child when he and Lucy meet. You can see it by how much he smiles at the dumbest things relating to the power armor, it's really all he wants, some power. He definitely hasn't thought too deeply about the overall philosophy of the Brotherhood, and also, he's immediately attracted to Lucy and confused by this so he doesn't want to argue with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

hawowanlawow posted:

be nice to maximus. He just found out his cock exploding is natural.