Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Al! posted:

my god, the italians have been controlling the west all along

i guess this is just normal anti-catholicism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Weka posted:

This is an unfair characterization of the Vietnamese army which had just defeated France. They had a fairly modern army I believe, it wasn't all vietcong.

America chooses to remember the VC over the PAVN, which was using huge armoured formations by 1972, for a reason.

Al! posted:

i guess this is just normal anti-catholicism

Belief in Jesuits secretly ruling the world from the shadows was a big preoccupation in the Anglo world of the mid 1800s.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

You really don't understand that colour revolutions work by taking an incident like that, or Georgia contemplating a bill exposing western funding for NGOs, or Ukraine signing a trade deal with Russia, and then "somehow" turning that into rapidly escalating violence with the goal of "overthrowing the government", do you?

was the cia behind the people who got shot at for attending her funeral

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Good Citizen posted:

i appreciate you're general optimism al-saqr but if your counting on biden to do something good then lol

constantly Azry-ing and swinging wildly between extremes constantly is Al-Saqrs whole personality.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

the cia is behind you and loving you in the rear end

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Ardennes posted:

They are on the books, but from evidence, it doesn't really seem to be enforced.

a girl was allegedly beat to death for breaking these rules in october of last year

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

kay whaddabout the other 5 mil

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

lol I just realized something.

Gorbachev sacrificed communism for Pizza Hut.

The West sacrificed democracy for Corn Pizza.

I would like to learn more about pizza theory

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

ELTON JOHN posted:

ok well i dont support iran killing a few hundred protestors who were protesting because the cops murdered a girl

So what is an appropriate response to riots that killed ~75 security forces?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I would like to learn more about pizza theory

the immortal science

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ELTON JOHN posted:

a girl was allegedly beat to death for breaking these rules in october of last year

It wouldn't be the first time in history there was selective enforcement of a old law that is routinely ignored.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

ELTON JOHN posted:

don't worry the white guy is telling the Iranian about "evidence" even though he has family members back in Iran who you know live through this. Also more on topic talking to relatives in Iran last night seems like they are generally supportive of the government actually doing something good for the first time in a while, which is nice.

Also, sorry any basiji that dies is loving good in my book.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Al-Saqr posted:

lol I just realized something.

Gorbachev sacrificed communism for Pizza Hut.

The West sacrificed democracy for Corn Pizza.

Pizza Hovel

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

ELTON JOHN posted:

shut up bitch

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

post COVID posted:

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

post COVID posted:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Death By The Blues posted:

don't worry the white guy is telling the Iranian about "evidence" even though he has family members back in Iran who you know live through this. Also more on topic talking to relatives in Iran last night seems like they are generally supportive of the government actually doing something good for the first time in a while, which is nice.

The evidence is literally just people walking in the streets, my man.

Also, a bunch of basiji died, that is why there was such a bloody crackdown.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

iran doing a good thing and then immediately having a crisis over whether iran is bad, actually (it's not communist so idk but it's also not allied with the west so that's a point in its favor) is some lib poo poo. i support the workers of iran in their eventual overthrow of the global bourgeoisie and am unconcerned by other events at the moment

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

carcinofuck posted:

gross, looks like the west

Looks a lot cleaner and with more investment in maintaining the pavements and buildings. Google streetview any random town or city in the UK and you will see a crumbling shabby hellhole strewn with litter and dogshit.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

ELTON JOHN posted:

No one gives a gently caress about your dumb Iranian expat axe to grind

Shut the gently caress up

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
I am also assuming Israels insane response is going to be tied to the fact that they obfuscating/straight up lying about how many targets where actually hit and need to appear strong. The west is gonna do the stupidest loving poo poo and glad to see them get humbled.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

ded redd posted:

the immortal science

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Genociders lied about allowing people back into Northern Gaza then fired upon the crowds that tried to return.

https://twitter.com/AlMayadeenLive/status/1779509618202292408

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/wor...post_type=share

BBC News posted:

Israel's potential response to Iran's attacks could be "significant" even as the US attempts to dissuade them from widening the conflict, Mick Mulroy, a former Deputy Secretary of Defence for the Middle East, tells me.

According to Mulroy, the Iranian attack could have killed "many" civilians and caused severe damage to Israeli civilian and commercial infrastructure.

Mulroy adds that he believes Israel will "likely" choose to respond directly in Iran, although the US will try to de-escalate the situation before that takes place.

"It could be as significant as striking suspected Iranian nuclear weapons facilities or going after their defence industrial base," he says.

"If they do either or both successfully, Iran [will have] made a strategic mistake in mounting this attack," Mulroy says.

https://youtu.be/kvNAid29vv8?si=sZP7Eq3cPyEFWgrA

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I would have supported the British during WW2 despite the British Empire having more blood on its hands than any other state that has ever existed, because they were still a less immediate threat to humanity than the Nazis were

Iran isn't perfect but, just as back then, better them than the fascists

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

It's odd. Usually by now we would get details on exactly what was hit and destroyed, but so far we only heard of a general idea that they hit Golan and two air bases.

I wonder if there's just simply too much to accurately assess, or they're trying to intentionally suppress details to cover just how badly they got hit

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Comedy option is if Israel gets an F35 shot down in Iranian airspace

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mister Bates posted:

I would have supported the British during WW2 despite the British Empire having more blood on its hands than any other state that has ever existed, because they were still a less immediate threat to humanity than the Nazis were

Iran isn't perfect but, just as back then, better them than the fascists

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lol, it COULD have killed many civilians (but deliberately didn't) so they must be destroyed

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
I do wonder if Biden/America actually do want to deescalate or at this point gently caress it cause they know they are going to lose the election.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Comedy option is if Israel gets an F35 shot down in Iranian airspace

lol with an American pilot

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
https://twitter.com/soureh_design2/status/1779309745540612561?t=EuS5J4x6EqfPq5KeGalEfA

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

NeonPunk posted:

It's odd. Usually by now we would get details on exactly what was hit and destroyed, but so far we only heard of a general idea that they hit Golan and two air bases.

I wonder if there's just simply too much to accurately assess, or they're trying to intentionally suppress details to cover just how badly they got hit

It will definitely be the second, but the real issue is the attack exposed Israel as a paper tiger. You have videos of sirens sounding all over Israel, you have drones and rockets streaming across the sky over Jerusalem, Haifa and Tel Aviv, you have Israeli airbases suffering direct hits. Even if all those hits amounted to loving up the runways or some empty hangars, they are shown to be vulnerable.

They needed intervention from American and British squadrons and missile destroyers, and even though advance notice existed, they could not effectively counter the drone swarm and subsequent cruise missiles.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

NeonPunk posted:

The Americans are nervous about Israel losing it so the memo went out that all missiles were intercepted. Israel is hesitant to go against this, because the only counter move is to declare that their air defense sucks poo poo and everyone should get out while the getting is good.

Weka
May 5, 2019

ELTON JOHN posted:

was the cia behind the people who got shot at for attending her funeral

I looked this up and you are just making poo poo up now. According to CIA mouthpiece Radio Free Europe a crowd marched from the funeral to the district governor's office chanting slogans like "death to Khamenei", which is where they were shot at.

Are you going to condemn Hamas for using violence to suppress protests too?

Death By The Blues posted:

How about the IRGC who were also killed?
I guess the question is not whether it is good if any particular person died, but what the results of not suppressing these protests would be.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...0000#1368981295
Far-right Israeli ministers call for strong reaction to Iran's attack
Israel's National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir commented on potential Israeli responses to Iran's overnight attack, saying that Israel "has to go berserk" in order "to create deterrence in the Middle East."

Ben-Gvir said that the doctrines of containment and proportionality have passed on since October 7, and that "Israel's response can't be 'flimsy,' in the style of the bombing of dunes we've seen in Gaza in previous years."

Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich also called for an appropriate response by Israel. "The eyes of the entire Middle East and the whole world are turned towards the State of Israel," he said, adding that "if our response echos throughout the Middle East for generations to come - we will win. If we ignore it, God forbid, we will put ourselves and our children in immediate existential threat."

I'm not an international politics expert, but I feel like deterrence only works when one side rattles sabers and the other side backs off. When everyone tries to one-up each other (and one side in particular is colonialist ethno-fascist state that would gladly kill everyone then themselves just out of spite), that's a pretty easy slide into the war everyone supposedly doesn't want.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

ELTON JOHN posted:

allegedly doing a lot of heavy lifting there

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ELTON JOHN posted:

mahsa amini and the response to the protests are a good reason to not cheer for iran, even if it’s good that they bombed israel

are these d&d libs for real?
we were fighting for womens rights in afghanistan against the taliban!!!

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

whatever I'm like this whenever I have my morning coffee and donut too