Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the city of houston has a revenue cap and has basically foregone 1.5 billion in taxes over the last ten years. shockingly the city is facing a major fiscal crisis and is struggling to pay for basic services. i think there actually is some appetite here to get rid of the cap though... would be nice to have trash and recycling picked up on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

lol yes I’m sure Hamas does a lot of US recruiting

dear hamas for 100k/full remote/6 week pto/benefits i will do (lazy) admin work for you please check out my linkedin at

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry it's all unpaid internship positions

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

dear hamas for 100k/full remote/6 week pto/benefits i will do (lazy) admin work for you please check out my linkedin at

Will you consider working for a comely young wife? ISIS is hiring and I am definitely not a fed!:haw:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

bird food bathtub posted:

Even beyond agents themselves, lab geeks and paper pushers don't start off nearly that high but a lot of people just see "FBI" and say "Oh, an FBI agent." Like it or not you can't run the agency without the rest of the positions.

Yeah, the issue of federal pay is an issue for every agency, and many more so than the FBI. A huge number of NPS staff, especially on the ground in parks, are GS 6, 7, or 9, are often seasonal rather than full time, and are forced to hunt for vanishingly rare and expensive housing in the gateway communities of their remote, tourist-magnet parks, or else live in government-provided staff housing... at rates that are pegged to local market rates.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I wish I was GS-06

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Majorian posted:

Will you consider working for a comely young wife? ISIS is hiring and I am definitely not a fed!:haw:

This agent is really, really pushy about trying to get him to kill other people

quote:

Unlike Ghaada, Jannah expressed no interest in a conventional romantic relationship. She said she wanted to martyr herself for ISIS, an act of vengeance against the coalition troops and Shia militants in Syria and Iraq who had killed her husband and two of her cousins.

“Its like i knew you all my life,” wrote Rayyan. “I will ask you (to marry me) but not now.”

“Please don’t rush me,” wrote Jannah. “I’m depressed and very scared.”

Jannah said she dreamed of committing a suicide attack with Rayyan as an expression of undying love.

“I’m not crazy Khalil,” Jannah wrote. “It’s my iman (faith). It’s what I believe in. Jihad is my dream.”

“Honestly you need to think about what you want,” Rayyan replied. “I cant be in this game.”

Rayyan wasn’t that into the idea of violent jihad as an expression of spiritual love. He repeatedly told Jannah that she should rethink her plans and marry him instead. They could be happy. They could start a family.

“Dont do anything that will hurt u yourself or other people,” Rayyan wrote. He later added, “Depression is real but don’t let it run your life.”

A violent dream and thoughts of suicide
As Rayyan tried to convince Jannah that martyrdom was a foolish choice, he confessed to her that he had struggled with violent thoughts himself. He said he wanted to kill the cop who had pulled him over for speeding. He claimed, falsely, that there was a sword in his car. He blustered that he once had contemplated shooting up a church near his pizza shop and he didn’t intend to spare the women and children.

“Its one of the biggest [churches] in Detroit,” Rayyan wrote. “i had it planned out … i bought a bunch of bullets. I practiced a lot with [the gun]. I practiced reloading and unloading. But my dad searched my car one day and he found everything. He found the gun … and bulletes (sic) and a mask i was going to wear. .. It wouldve been [a] blood bath but everything happens for a reason … I dont no (sic) what the future leads. Maybe down the line i can try again.”

Weeks of desperate messages to Jannah culminated with a foreboding phone conversation. Rayyan told her he had purchased a rope to hang himself.

“Only in like a minute or two, it’ll be over,” said Rayyan. “(My family) is going to be sad for a little while but they’ll get over it.”

Jannah responded that the only proper way for Muslims to kill themselves is in an act of violent jihad.

“Like I told you before … when it’s for the sake of Allah, when it’s jihad, or when it’s based on our [creed] or for a cause, that’s the only time Allah allows it,” said Jannah. “But not to put your life to waste, and just hang yourself like you say you want to do. That’s not the right thing to do.”

Later in the conversation, Rayyan said he did not want to hurt anybody else. He was interested in taking only his own life.

“If I did it to myself, it would be easier,” said Rayyan. “I wouldn’t get in trouble. I’m not trying to get arrested again.”

e: wow this story is almost old enough to buy a gun in this country

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1779232573979246865

There are videos from Iraq circulating of drones heading west. Depending on what Israel does we could be on the verge of a major regional war.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nucleic Acids posted:

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1779232573979246865

There are videos from Iraq circulating of drones heading west. Depending on what Israel does we could be on the verge of a major regional war.

I mean Israel bombed an embassy, that's what you do when you want a war to start

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean Israel bombed an embassy, that's what you do when you want a war to start

to be fair, israel thought they were food aid workers. total accident

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The inevitable description of this as “unprovoked” by western media might just give me an aneurysm.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Staluigi posted:

to be fair, israel thought they were food aid workers. total accident

:jewish: "my bad. thought the building said 'Hamaspital' lol"

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
https://twitter.com/MarshaBlackburn/status/1779249940344045970

if Trump wins we're invading Iran and Mexico

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Why does the U.S. need to launch retaliatory strikes? Like I don't get it. We don't have a mutual defense pact with Israel do we?

E: Wait is that tweet quoting POTUS or is it a message to POTUS? I read it as a quote from POTUS.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why does the U.S. need to launch retaliatory strikes? Like I don't get it. We don't have a mutual defense pact with Israel do we?

E: Wait is that tweet quoting POTUS or is it a message to POTUS? I read it as a quote from POTUS.

Awful human being marsha blackburn is telling joe to retaliate at Iran on Israels behalf.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I trust in Geno Joe to do the needful

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Nucleic Acids posted:

The inevitable description of this as “unprovoked” by western media might just give me an aneurysm.

Weirdly even Fox News' headline about it mentions the consulate strike.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Kagrenak posted:

Weirdly even Fox News' headline about it mentions the consulate strike.

CNN is also calling it relatitory

Israel's reckless abandon for their bombing campaign is clearly the cause, but it's also going to be extremely hard to prevent them from escalating this even further

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's Marsha Blackburn calling for strikes on Iran, I don't think Biden has said anything public.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's just me but I think Israel's latest atrocities have tipped the scales a little bit against them in American public sentiment. There's also a real strain of isolationism in the trumpist movement. I think Americans in general are just tired of overseas conflicts that never solve anything.

Caros
May 14, 2008

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Maybe it's just me but I think Israel's latest atrocities have tipped the scales a little bit against them in American public sentiment. There's also a real strain of isolationism in the trumpist movement. I think Americans in general are just tired of overseas conflicts that never solve anything.

It is certainly more difficult to be outraged at the temerity of Iran striking Israel after Israel bombed the Iranian embassy at the start of the month.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Caros posted:

It is certainly more difficult to be outraged at the temerity of Iran striking Israel after Israel bombed the Iranian embassy at the start of the month.

This. If anything, Iran's response thus far has been relatively reserved. Israel is apparently trying to burn through as much international good will as possible, considering it wasn't (at the time) at war with either Iran or Syria. AFAIK they also haven't provided any evidence since that bombing that it was a valid military target.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in Netanyahu's office right now. I wonder if he's spending more time talking to Biden or Trump.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I assume Netanyahu wants to start more wars to make it difficult for the US to cut off aid.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
As is usually the case with seemingly and actually irrational international behaviors, leaders are more influenced by their domestic political considerations, and, over time, run the risk of internalizing any domestic propaganda they produce. Even absent the latter, Netanyahu's necessarily motivated by his understanding of the right-wing electoral and ideological views of his constituencies.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I think it's more likely than not that this won't escalate into a regional war.

Iran made a statement at the UN explicitly saying it's retaliation for Israel's embassy attack and that they consider it concluded and done if Israel doesn't counter retaliate.
ABC is quoting the Israeli military as saying Iran targeted military bases only and damage is minor. That doesn't seem like the narrative Israel would push to justify more attacks to either a domestic or international audiance.
It seems mostly like Iran is trying to demonstrate that they won't be pushed around, but neither side wants to escalate

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Foxfire_ posted:

Iran made a statement at the UN explicitly saying it's retaliation for Israel's embassy attack and that they consider it concluded and done if Israel doesn't counter retaliate.
ABC is quoting the Israeli military as saying Iran targeted military bases only and damage is minor. That doesn't seem like the narrative Israel would push to justify more attacks to either a domestic or international audiance.
It seems mostly like Iran is trying to demonstrate that they won't be pushed around, but neither side wants to escalate

Yeah I get the same vibe.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Foxfire_ posted:

NYT actually mentioned the attacks were aimed at Golan Heights and an Israeli airbase in the Negev. It might even be true

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
It's pretty much what Iran did after Trump had Solemani killed, right? Launch a few things that don't do all that much harm, and didn't escalate further.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sarcastro posted:

It's pretty much what Iran did after Trump had Solemani killed, right? Launch a few things that don't do all that much harm, and didn't escalate further.

Yeah. Crazy when the religious extremist revolutionary theocracy is the pragmatic adult in the proverbial room.
It feels like Israel (well, Bibi) is giving Biden an ultimatum, give up on Gaza or be dragged into a very messy Mideast conflict right before a major election. I don’t think Bibi gives a poo poo about anything but keeping his rear end in power and out of prison til he dies at this point. No wonder he gets along with Trump.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i disagree with marsha blackburn

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Marsha Blackburn is a WoW antagonist rear end name.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

If I were Biden, and I understand it's not this simple, I would just be the bigger bully and say: Iran if you attack again you have us to deal with, and Israel if you escalate we don't have your back and are on your own.

Iran already said this was a response to the Israel previous attack and is willing to call it a day and from what I can tell very view of the drones/missiles made it past air defenses.

Again, I know this basically says gently caress you to a strong ally but they've been kind of a piece of poo poo ally lately so time to throw our weight around.

E: sounds like Biden may do exactly this

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1779353729495413060?t=Q7HPOgnWDte7vfg3EV6y7g&s=19

cr0y fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 14, 2024

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

cr0y posted:

Again, I know this basically says gently caress you to a strong ally but they've been kind of a piece of poo poo ally lately so time to throw our weight around.

"Strong" and "ally" doing some serious work here.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i agree with the president that we should not support an israeli counterattack or any sort of retaliation. thank you mister joe.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Iran has been incredibly restrained. Between reneging on the nuclear deal, drone striking Suleimani, and Israel blowing up a loving embassy their responses have been downright reserved

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

James Loux is east of Malta now. No change in the courses of the vessels headed to Gaza to build / use a JLOTS pier.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

cr0y posted:

Iran if you attack again you have us to deal with

How about no the U.S. should not invite themself to the party.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

Israel seems to be treating us like an abusive spouse, slapping us around while telling us its for our own good because who else would love us.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

Fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

James Loux is east of Malta now. No change in the courses of the vessels headed to Gaza to build / use a JLOTS pier.

Do you know anything about shipping insurance rates skyrocketing could have the same impact as shutting down the straits militarily?

Thwt was an old cefte theory.