Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Grizzlies had 13 players out and the Lakers still needed the league to gift them an extra minute to pull out a win. Fraudulent franchise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dexo posted:

Rushing poo poo is imo how you become the Mavs or the Pels. Elite talent at the top, but they set their ceiling too soon, so they had to start scrambling to try and do anything to fix that problem.

The Mavs fixed a lot of their problems at trade deadline and became one of the best teams in the league. Their only window closing too soon problem is Kyrie's age. Replacing him after a couple more seasons will be tough. The biggest problem is Jason Kidd is the coach.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 14, 2024

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Spacebump posted:

The Mavs fixed their problems and became one of the best teams in the league. Their only window closing too soon problem is Kyrie's age. Replacing him after a couple more seasons will be tough.

They also had some really really solid draft hits recently.

They might be able to pull it off, but their problem early on was that they rushed it with Luka.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dexo posted:

They also had some really really solid draft hits recently.

They might be able to pull it off, but their problem early on was that they rushed it with Luka.

Fair, but if Porzingis had stayed healthy things might have been different. The Mavs couldn't have been bad that long after getting Luka/Brunson. After Luka's rookie season Dirk was retired, Brunson/Luka continued to improve, and Porzingis played half the season. Those factors are just several of many reasons why they became too good to stay bad enough for more lotto picks.

imo the Mavs messed up the most when they had multiple chances to extend an obviously improving Brunson and didn't. I do not understand how people paid to make these decisions messed that one up unless they all fell stupid to "he is too small" group think.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 14, 2024

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the spurs can keep their cap space open for a couple of years and have several extra firsts and a billion seconds in 2026-2027 that they can hope to trade for another star in 2-3 years whose team can't get him over the top. the ideal targets are obviously luka or giannis, both of whom are stuck on teams that went all-in but probably aren't enough to beat denver, boston, or OKC as constructed

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

T-Wolves traded for Conley and Rudy and are now contenders. Lakers won a championship trading for AD. Mavs traded for Kyrie. Cavs traded for Mitchell. Heat for Butler. Denver for Gordon. Bucks for Jrue. Most of the top teams get one or two guys in the draft then identify a top tier player to acquire.

I think if you can get a top-25 player like Mitchell or Young and you pass up on it, that opportunity may not come up again.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Embiid is out today, the Brooklyn Nets have a cha---lmao

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mean Baby posted:

T-Wolves traded for Conley and Rudy and are now contenders. Lakers won a championship trading for AD. Mavs traded for Kyrie. Cavs traded for Mitchell. Heat for Butler. Denver for Gordon. Bucks for Jrue. Most of the top teams get one or two guys in the draft then identify a top tier player to acquire.

I think if you can get a top-25 player like Mitchell or Young and you pass up on it, that opportunity may not come up again.

Is Trae Young a top 25 player at the moment?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

GS got to where they were largely because Curry’s first extension ended up being a ridiculous bargain because of injury history. Oh and the cap exploding at just the right time for when the most bitch made athlete hit the market. OKC got where they were because of Presti black magic or black mail. No reason to rush in to a bad thing but slow burn “proper” builds are extremely rare and requires a poo poo load of luck and good timing. Things turn fast in the league. Memphis looked like they’d rule the West and while they might get back there they are basically an afterthought right now

Monte went the slow burn route and now now half the fan base is ready to jump off a bridge again

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 14, 2024

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

Is Trae Young a top 25 player at the moment?

I tend to think of it more as tiers and within that range. He is flawed but Wemby covers up his flaws. He took a team to an ECF so I’d put him in that second or third tier of players. Absolutely capable of being a number 2 on a championship team.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mean Baby posted:

You have to have your core and identity already established or you end up like the brow pelicans, kyrie/kd nets, the Jimmy butler twolves, the Dwight Howard rockets, etc the spurs aren't winning the title in the next 2 years and they shouldn't be making moves like they can

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Mean Baby posted:

Most of the top teams get one or two guys in the draft then identify a top tier player to acquire.

You realistically need two drafted guys that you have Bird rights on, to maximize flexibility for after you make that key trade. The Spurs still need that second guy since I see Vassel as a 3rd option on a contender at best.

Trying to nail this upcoming draft then looking to make moves the following offseason might be the smartest move they can make. Step 1 is gonna be tricky as gently caress with this draft class though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Last day of school y’all

https://x.com/british_buzz/status/1779563764448178378?s=46

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

anakha posted:

You realistically need two drafted guys that you have Bird rights on, to maximize flexibility for after you make that key trade. The Spurs still need that second guy since I see Vassel as a 3rd option on a contender at best.

Trying to nail this upcoming draft then looking to make moves the following offseason might be the smartest move they can make. Step 1 is gonna be tricky as gently caress with this draft class though.

It’s going to be an absolute crap shoot. One fun thing about the hoop summit, I sat right behind 4-5 different executives, at least one from Boston as well as Sean Marks. They all joked that no one knows what they are doing with the draft in general and it is all luck.

This draft is a ton of flawed player. There is a good chance that the Spurs draft two lottery players who are busts and actually hurting their cap space. I think you can cut guys after two years, so probably isn’t a huge deal.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Most of this thread is in the same boat in thinking that the Spurs should try to find a young star/starting level young guys to pair with Wemby but shouldn't mortgage their future.

But outside of this thread you do hear the 10% of people saying Spurs should swing for the fences asap. And then there's the 10% of people saying they should shut Wemvy down to have a shot at Flagg.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If the spurs can trade for a top 30 or maybe even top 50 guy (if they're young enough) that compliments Wemby they probably should. If they can't they shouldn't sell out just to get a few more Ws next season.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

sagg for flagg

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So with the loss today can Toronto's slot for the lottery draw be any higher than #6?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So with the loss today can Toronto's slot for the lottery draw be any higher than #6?

No, their draft position is locked

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.

Was already locked in at 6. This loss is just for fun.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm torn on whether I want that Toronto pick to convery to the Spurs this offseason or in the next.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

I miss him

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

WhyteRyce posted:

GS got to where they were largely because Curry’s first extension ended up being a ridiculous bargain because of injury history. Oh and the cap exploding at just the right time for when the most bitch made athlete hit the market. OKC got where they were because of Presti black magic or black mail. No reason to rush in to a bad thing but slow burn “proper” builds are extremely rare and requires a poo poo load of luck and good timing. Things turn fast in the league. Memphis looked like they’d rule the West and while they might get back there they are basically an afterthought right now

Monte went the slow burn route and now now half the fan base is ready to jump off a bridge again

That and Steph wasn't where Wemby is now. Ask Dame what he thinks about slow builds.
Mavs had all the pieces and panicked. Kings are just unlucky. Boston got back to back hits due to dumb nets trades. Slow rebuilds only work if the draft, scouting, and picks fall just right. But in the end, every team trades.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

WhyteRyce posted:

:hmmyes:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So how good is this draft class? Is it a 3 player draft and a bunch of question marks or is it fairly deep?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

So how good is this draft class? Is it a 3 player draft and a bunch of question marks or is it fairly deep?

Bad at the top and with bad depth

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Lmfao the cavs

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

For actual content about the draft here’s what Vecenie has to say at the Athletic:

quote:

At the top, this class is seen as clearly the weakest in the past decade. Last year, I had five players in my Tier 1 or Tier 2: Victor Wembanyama, Scoot Henderson, Cam Whitmore, Brandon Miller and Amen Thompson. The year before, I had four such players in Chet Holmgren, Paolo Banchero, Jabari Smith Jr. and Jaden Ivey, so I’m not particularly stingy with those grades. No player in this draft class has even hit the Tier 2 level for me.

NBA team evaluators are still struggling to pinpoint the highest-upside players. Many compare it to the 2013 draft in which Anthony Bennett was selected No. 1, only one All-Star was taken in the lottery and only three All-Stars were picked the entire night. The good news for teams: Giannis Antetokounmpo went 15th in that draft, as did Rudy Gobert at No. 27. As in every class, All-Stars will emerge. But it will be a lot more difficult for NBA teams to identify those players.

Beyond that, scouts continue to question the depth of this year’s talent pool. Scouts are really mining the college freshman class to uncover high-upside late first-round picks, even if those players are seen as serious projects. There are concerns some of those younger players who seem unlikely to be picked in the top 20 could decide to return to school and try their luck again in 2025. The proliferation of name, image and likeness money has partially alleviated the financial pressure for underclassmen to turn pro. Expect to see many players at least test the draft process, which begins in March and April and goes through individual workouts, the May combine in Chicago and more. This draft class could be deep into the second round because more players will see an opportunity to go pro in what is seen as a weak class, or it could be even shallower if some of the rawer younger players decide to stay in school.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Charlotte winning is huge for Blazers tanking purposes. No Scoot or Ayton and Sac needs to win.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/worldwidewob/status/1779591835943669865?s=46

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hornets with a pretty crushing season aside from Brandon Miller looking like a keeper (even if the Scoot thing will probably continue to haunt them for the next decade). They’ll be able to draft a defensive wing with their top pick, which should help, and will hopefully be able to get 50+ games from LaMelo, Cody Martin and Mark Williams next year.

Grant Williams is a keeper, Micic is a keeper, Nick Smith is a keeper, Poku is probably worth keeping around. Miles Bridges getting paid in Charlotte still feels like the most likely scenario but we’ll see — 21 wins is bad enough I can see the team stripping back further. That cap space is probably better off taking on salary for picks even if it pisses off LaMelo. Not sure how big a concern that really is with five years left on his deal and so few games played, anyway.

They’re best off missing the playoffs again next year to stay in the Cooper Flagg hunt and keep their first rounder, then regroup in 2016 around that core. A new coach, Miller having a full off-season without mono, some better health luck, even lower expectations, hopefully next year is a little more fun.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The Bucks have done it again. Doc is truly a master.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Celtics are going to be the only higher seeded team in the East favored to win their first round series

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bucks and Pacers will be a spicy series.

cp91886
Oct 26, 2005

They had 152 against SAS back in November, but yeah they own the Hawks completely

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

What exactly was Doc supposed to accomplish that the other, bad guy couldn't?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Shear Modulus posted:

sagg for flagg

Nah. White flag for Flagg

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy
Godspeed and thank you to Mike Gorman for calling play by play for the Celtics 43 years (slightly longer than I have existed). He was showered with well deserved praise during a very long halftime ceremony (probably possible due to the meaninglessness of the this wizards/celtics game). Too bad Heinsohn wasn't still with us to be there. No Celtics comeback win will be the same without Gorman's perfect gradually intensifying call.

temple posted:

Here's a lil mini-doc about Dereck Lively and his mom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU6SATXJqJk

:smith: poor kid

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Well the woofies have made the galaxy brain move of floating that ant and Kat might not play and this has basically guaranteed the suns will lose embarrassingly so I think your best hope for drama will be lakers pels yeah.

I was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Harlock posted:

What exactly was Doc supposed to accomplish that the other, bad guy couldn't?

The other bad guy wasn't draining an additional $40 million over 3 years or whatever that Doc is. He was a ridiculously bad hire who they *also* overpaid for before they even saw what he could do. It's a hilariously stupid move.