Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I'm heading back to visit the UK this summer.
I have no UK address, no utility bills, and my phone doesn't accept the google play framework.

It's going to be a ton of fun getting through those ~2 weeks, I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

gently caress voter id, just go full on finger-in-ink. Better than a little "i voted" sticker too!

(Mail in voting doesn't need to exist when everyone is a frictionless sphere in a perfect vacuum)

Yeah until 10 years later we find out the ink contains some carcinogens cause someone could save a few cents.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
"people generally follow the rules even though they're not enforced" is definitely a valid reason to avoid implementing enforcement mechanisms; the last few years have proven that a norms-based political system is robust and resilient to bad actors.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Most countries are not psycho rogue states like the USA

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Cerekk posted:

"people generally follow the rules even though they're not enforced" is definitely a valid reason to avoid implementing enforcement mechanisms; the last few years have proven that a norms-based political system is robust and resilient to bad actors.

It's illegal to vote as someone else, seems like it gets "enforced" by punishment of people doing it. It's just insanely loving rare for people to actually vote as someone else. What's not rare is the thousands of people losing the ability to vote because they don't have the specific kind of ID suddenly required for voters. Insane & frankly evil to prioritize stopping the rare law breaker knowing exactly what the requirement also causes

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Cerekk posted:

Lol @ using this argument to restrict voting rights over poo poo that doesn't even happen

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

AI generated articles are a hoot

I don't blame Ai for that. I blame human beings.
A productive article for growing flowers should have bullet points like:
- Test the hardness of the ground,
- the ground should have a ph level of ...
- make sure a certain amount of hours of sun is directly on that area
- etc etc

All the human made articles, where the writers insert time-wasting bits of fake poetics,
that forced the Ai to create that Garbage-Out sentence
"Flowers are like teenager you have to hose them down."

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 14, 2024

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

AARD VARKMAN posted:

It's illegal to vote as someone else, seems like it gets "enforced" by punishment of people doing it. It's just insanely loving rare for people to actually vote as someone else. What's not rare is the thousands of people losing the ability to vote because they don't have the specific kind of ID suddenly required for voters. Insane & frankly evil to prioritize stopping the rare law breaker knowing exactly what the requirement also causes

Nobody gets punished for doing it as evidenced by the "there have only been 14 cases of voter fraud" argument.

Like, my dad alone has illegally voted in my name more times than that

If solving a problem creates an undesirable consequence, then solve the consequence instead of saying "let's not bother solving problems"

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cerekk posted:

If solving a problem creates an undesirable consequence, then solve the consequence instead of saying "let's not bother solving problems"

It's not an undesirable consequence. It's the intended outcome. "stopping voter fraud" is just a fig-leaf.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

POSIWID. The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

wash bucket posted:

It's not an undesirable consequence. It's the intended outcome. "stopping voter fraud" is just a fig-leaf.

It is both the intended outcome of the right and an undesirable consequence for the left. Except that ensuring votes are cast legally is an objective good, and the left would rather complain that the right's motives are disingenuous than take any actual action to implement policy that eliminates voter fraud without suppressing legal votes.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Is this an existing concept? Or did you just invent it?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cerekk posted:

Nobody gets punished for doing it as evidenced by the "there have only been 14 cases of voter fraud" argument.

Like, my dad alone has illegally voted in my name more times than that

Obviously you have reported your inability to vote in at least 15 elections ya? Maybe this time they'll capture the crime lord.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dad just going down to the polls to do an illegal voting

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Obviously you have reported your inability to vote in at least 15 elections ya? Maybe this time they'll capture the crime lord.

Sounds like the people who get their whole identity stolen by their parents and their credit ruined, but don't do anything because it's family

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Don't worry, I vote too because we're in a couple of blue states that make no attempt to prevent things like multiple voting.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cerekk posted:

Don't worry, I vote too because we're in a couple of blue states that make no attempt to prevent things like multiple voting.

You've convinced me. We should implement voter ID laws in your state. We know from experience those laws will be used to suppress many thousands of legitimate votes but it will be worth it to stop your lovely dad.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Cerekk posted:

See, this is actually impossible in Sweden. Probably in the UK, too? Surely each person is listed at only one polling station, and gets crossed off as they vote?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

redshirt posted:

Is this an existing concept? Or did you just invent it?

It's a pretty well known dictum in systems planning.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Quick google says 10 convictions for voter fraud in last 5 years, half of which resulted in a caution(no punishment).

Really worth making it more difficult for everyone in the country to vote, particularly poorer people.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cabal Ties posted:

Quick google says 10 convictions for voter fraud in last 5 years, half of which resulted in a caution(no punishment).

Really worth making it more difficult for everyone in the country to vote, particularly poorer people.

No, see we just need to invent a voter ID law that can't be abused to benefit one political party. I have a few other proposed changes while we're at it:
  • Courts that only send criminals to prison.
  • Cops aren't allowed to be racist.
  • A gun that only shoots bad guys.
No idea why we haven't done these yet. They all seem like no-brainers to me.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

wash bucket posted:

No, see we just need to invent a voter ID law that can't be abused to benefit one political party. I have a few other proposed changes while we're at it:
  • Courts that only send criminals to prison.
  • Cops aren't allowed to be racist.
  • A gun that only shoots bad guys.
No idea why we haven't done these yet. They all seem like no-brainers to me.

It would be incredibly simple to make it free and easy to get an ID

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Cerekk posted:

If it were me in your position, I'd probably report the issue to responsible authorities for enforcement instead of desiring harsher laws for everyone.

Is that not an option? Seems like it's literally in your hands to prevent voter fraud but you can't be bothered

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Cerekk posted:

:happened:

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

See, this is actually impossible in Sweden. Probably in the UK, too? Surely each person is listed at only one polling station, and gets crossed off as they vote?

It is probably true that at any one of the 166,990 individual precincts, any one individual is not listed more than once. And it is probably also true that in some of the 50 states, there is sufficient coordination to ensure an individual votes in only one precinct in that state.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cerekk posted:

And yet they do the exact opposite. Almost as if:

MikeJF posted:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Cerekk posted:

lol we got a brain genius here folks

E. Jfc this guy . Has you thought about instituting a poll tax or poll test yet, too?

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 14, 2024

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Wow it's almost as if there's a false dichotomy between a system that makes it easy to vote illegitimately and a system that makes it hard to vote legitimately.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Cerekk I feel like you should go to D&D and talk about your dad's illegal voting there.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

I don't blame Ai for that. I blame human beings.
A productive article for growing flowers should have bullet points like:
- Test the hardness of the ground,
- the ground should have a ph level of ...
- make sure a certain amount of hours of sun is directly on that area
- etc etc

All the human made articles, where the writers insert time-wasting bits of fake poetics,
that forced the Ai to create that Garbage-Out sentence
"Flowers are like teenager you have to hose them down."

loving this.
Anything that is instructional should have a clear bullet point system.

Instructions in general have gotten worse. It's gone from lovely translated English, to loving confusing drawings, or even worse a random link to a YouTube video.

I was trying to set up a new carseat and it was a stick figure drawing of a baby with a red x beside it, then a drawing with a tick. No clue what the difference was.
Then if you were still confused there was a video, which had ads, took ages to get to the relevant details, aND waaas naRated buy thi DoOble kiNG Knaaaives person.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Man, Republicans really got shittier for some reason after '68.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Cerekk posted:

ensuring votes are cast legally is an objective good

Something being legal is axiomatically good? I feel like you're just riffing here but.. come on.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Cerekk posted:

It is probably true that at any one of the 166,990 individual precincts, any one individual is not listed more than once. And it is probably also true that in some of the 50 states, there is sufficient coordination to ensure an individual votes in only one precinct in that state.

No, see, we're discussing the UK here. Allegedly it has gotten shittier for no good reason.

IDGAF about how the U.S. voting system is broken on account of having no national record of people; it's well-trodden ground.

My point is in the UK, like in Sweden, it should be impossible to vote twice because of how the polling works. (Also because the state knows who lives in it, unlike any U.S. government.)

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/resources/welcome-your-vote/how-vote

quote:

Before the day of the election, known as polling day, you’ll receive a card, called a poll card.

Everyone who’s registered to vote in your household will receive their own poll card.

Your poll card tells you where and when you can vote. Unless you’ve arranged otherwise, it will be assumed that you want to vote in person at the polling station.
[...]
You can’t choose which polling station to vote at – you have to go to your assigned polling station.
[...]
When you enter, tell them your name and address so they can check that you’re on the electoral register. You can show them your poll card if it helps, but you don’t need your poll card to vote. They will cross your name off their list so they know who has voted, and hand you your ballot paper.

Since any voter has to be registered in advance, vote at their place of residency, etc, the requirement for an ID seems like a smaller overreach than it would in any U.S. jurisdiction.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 14, 2024

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Most and maybe all US voting has an assigned polling location and has a record of when someone done voted, with a signature that is compared to the signature obtained during registration. If you attempt to vote at a different precinct or if the record shows that you've already voted like our genius goon here it'll become a provisional ballot that may or may not be counted per however the state or county process it. Maybe there will be a criminal pursuit but usually the non matching signature is discarded. Trying to vote in multiple states gets messier as that becomes federal.

Our little idiot here has been bamboozled by their father for seemingly 15 to 60 years, depending on off year elections, because they're full of poo poo.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Just fyi that’s exactly how it works in the US with regard to polling place registration. It’s just the method of poll registration is voluntary (generally you sign up for your local polling station when you change your mailing address with the postal office or renew your drivers license/ID)

E. Beat

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
why would anyone play by the rules when its more convenient not to

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Most and maybe all US voting has an assigned polling location and has a record of when someone done voted, with a signature that is compared to the signature obtained during registration. If you attempt to vote at a different precinct or if the record shows that you've already voted like our genius goon here it'll become a provisional ballot that may or may not be counted per however the state or county process it. Maybe there will be a criminal pursuit but usually the non matching signature is discarded. Trying to vote in multiple states gets messier as that becomes federal.

Our little idiot here has been bamboozled by their father for seemingly 15 to 60 years, depending on off year elections, because they're full of poo poo.

Gee can't imagine a world where people don't have consistent signatures. Nope. Sure can't. We all work at "real" jobs and sign things constantly so our signatures is just are just like a thumb print.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 15, 2024

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Duck and Cover posted:

Gee can't imagine a world where people don't have consistent signatures. Nope. Sure can't. We all work at real jobs and sign things constantly so our signatures is just are just like a thumb print.

OK so the signature thing is silly, and the thing about how "provisional ballots may or may not be counted per however the state or county process it" is the type of thing that leads to lawsuits winning someone a presidential election (which seems more difficult to handle than simply discarding the invalid ballot, by whatever heuristic you prefer), but what really is broken about this is how there is no advance guarantee that, just because a person is registered to vote in a state, that person physically exists and is legally entitled to vote.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Duck and Cover posted:

Gee can't imagine a world where people don't have consistent signatures. Nope. Sure can't. We all work at real jobs and sign things constantly so our signatures is just are just like a thumb print.

I've gotten the WA state "please confirm this is you" quite a few times because i went through a period of time where i was adjusting my signature and hand grip lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

When fraudulent voting is outlawed only outlaws will be able to fraudulently vote.