Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Shanghaied posted:

AITA for telling my English teacher to mind her own business?

Maybe the English teacher is like "weather is not real, it's called 'climate change':smugdog:"

lol wait hold up

quote:

I often discuss my interests in weather and nature with my friends at lunch.

This kid isn’t even being annoying about weather in her class, he’s discussing it over lunch and this apparently pisses the teacher off? The gently caress kinda school is this where teachers regularly overhear what their students are discussing at lunch? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Midnight Voyager posted:

The parents are involved. They said "well you shouldn't have told her to mind her own business" and apparently nothing else.

ah, correction: The parents are getting involved to try to stop it as well, as mentioned in the comments.
Based on the other comments I think the parents are basically saying "the teacher and principal are being dumb and we'll try to get involved but it still might not have been a great idea to antagonize a teacher on a dumb power trip by saying 'it's none of your business' even if she's wrong" which may or may not be the right thing to say or a good lesson for OP but honestly is probably what I would say if I were OP's parent

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I had a teacher in third grade who just hated a kid in the class who was high functioning but obviously neurodivergent for no particular reason and did poo poo like this.

Been that kid, maths teacher. She overplayed her card eventually though and I got up and showed the entire class that she didn't do poo poo but follow the course book by proving her maths was wrong.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

The Maroon Hawk posted:

lol wait hold up

This kid isn’t even being annoying about weather in her class, he’s discussing it over lunch and this apparently pisses the teacher off? The gently caress kinda school is this where teachers regularly overhear what their students are discussing at lunch? :psyduck:

the teacher hates autistic children and will not tolerate them having special interests or otherwise behaving in a neurodivergent way. it really is like this sometimes. I remember a childhood friend being disallowed from playing his favourite video game because he was "talking about it too much".

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

mystes posted:

Based on the other comments I think the parents are basically saying "the teacher and principal are being dumb and we'll try to get involved but it still might not have been a great idea to antagonize a teacher on a dumb power trip by saying 'it's none of your business' even if she's wrong" which may or may not be the right thing to say or a good lesson for OP but honestly is probably what I would say if I were OP's parent

i mean, it’s not her assignment, it isn’t her business. her business as the english teacher is grading for spelling and punctuation errors, not the topic of a paper for a science class. teacher absolutely needs to mind her own business.

mystes
May 31, 2006

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i mean, it’s not her assignment, it isn’t her business. her business as the english teacher is grading for spelling and punctuation errors, not the topic of a paper for a science class. teacher absolutely needs to mind her own business.
It's none of her business and she's out of line but obviously a teacher on a dumb power trip is going to get even more mad in response to being told that, so it probably would have been smarter for OP to not say that but then go home and have their parents talk to the principal first.

Not that I blame a high school student for failing to optimally deescalate a situation a deranged teacher is actively trying to escalate.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Computer Jones posted:

the teacher hates autistic children and will not tolerate them having special interests or otherwise behaving in a neurodivergent way. it really is like this sometimes. I remember a childhood friend being disallowed from playing his favourite video game because he was "talking about it too much".

Ah, yep, having also been one of those kids that makes total sense

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Getting flashbacks to when I was banned from writing or talking about dinosaurs at school when I was about 6 years old.

Which was just before they realized I wasn't stupid, I just had such terrible eyesight I couldn't see the whiteboard which is why I'd spent the last year confused about what was going on.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Shanghaied posted:

Maybe the English teacher is like "weather is not real, it's called 'climate change':smugdog:"

ide be up that principals rear end the same day my kid told me about it.

rpop
Dec 17, 2003

noveo@ace

Wouldn't this be infringing on this student's right to freedom of speech under the first amendment? Assuming the OP is American, which I was thinking they might be considering they're writing about a storm in the US. For sure, not all speech is protected under the first amendment, but you can't ban a topic as benign as the weather. The school board may wish to settle this issue quickly before it escalates to a lawsuit.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

rpop posted:

Wouldn't this be infringing on this student's right to freedom of speech under the first amendment? Assuming the OP is American, which I was thinking they might be considering they're writing about a storm in the US. For sure, not all speech is protected under the first amendment, but you can't ban a topic as benign as the weather. The school board may wish to settle this issue quickly before it escalates to a lawsuit.

Legally? I'm not sure the kid *actually* has first amendment rights in school, but I do agree that it would be in the school board's best interests to not find out.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Runcible Cat posted:

r/relationships: what exactly did you think the butt was going to do to you?

“They say crack kills, so I shot him in the butt”

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Diddler posted:

Legally? I'm not sure the kid *actually* has first amendment rights in school, but I do agree that it would be in the school board's best interests to not find out.
Kids don’t have first amendment rights when school is involved.
See: Bong Rips For Jesus

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_v._Frederick

Edit: and in the lady complaining about seeing butt at another table, maybe it was like that guy at the M:TG tournament taking pictures of himself kneeling behind the many cracks that were visible.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 14, 2024

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

My bf murdered my entire family, i’m thinking of ending it. Should I?

quote:

My (26f) boyfriend (m30) brutally murdered my whole family last week. The cops said it was one of the most horrific scenes they had ever seen. Honestly i can’t even look at him rn and i’m really considering breaking things off with him but i’m still torn. One on hand i’m now the only surviving member of my family, but on the other we had a really good thing going prior to all this. it’s quite the dilemma.

Made me giggle.

rpop
Dec 17, 2003

noveo@ace

Kids absolutely do have first amendment rights, at least when public schools are involved.

https://firstamendment.mtsu.edu/article/rights-of-students/

quote:

The Supreme Court clarified in Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District (1969) that public students do not “shed” their First Amendment rights “at the schoolhouse gate.”

In Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District, 393 U.S. 503 (1969), the Supreme Court ruled that public school officials cannot censor student expression unless they can reasonably forecast that the speech will substantially disrupt school activities or invade the rights of others. The decision firmly established that public school students possess First Amendments rights. Tinker remains the seminal decision on student speech.

Looks like it may depend on whether the OP attends public or private school

wikipedia posted:

The Tinker test, also known as the "substantial disruption" test, is still used by courts today to determine whether a school's interest to prevent disruption infringes upon students' First Amendment rights.

Thanks for that link, it's interesting. In Morse v. Frederick,

quote:

the Court held that the speech could be restricted in a school environment, even though it wasn't disruptive under the Tinker standard, because "the government interest in stopping student drug abuse...allow[s] schools to restrict student expression that they reasonably regard as promoting illegal drug use."

I think it may come down to whether it's considered disruptive or not, and whether the government has an interest in preventing that type of speech. :confused: I am not a lawyer so I don't know any better, but I wish the kid success fighting back against censorship of weather talk.

rpop
Dec 17, 2003

noveo@ace

Enemabag Jones posted:

My bf murdered my entire family, i’m thinking of ending it. Should I?

Made me giggle.

Did they have life insurance? Has OP stopped to consider all the benefits of your family being murdered :woop:

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Does the massmurderer wash his rear end?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

rpop posted:

Kids absolutely do have first amendment rights, at least when public schools are involved.

https://firstamendment.mtsu.edu/article/rights-of-students/

Looks like it may depend on whether the OP attends public or private school

Thanks for that link, it's interesting. In Morse v. Frederick,

I think it may come down to whether it's considered disruptive or not, and whether the government has an interest in preventing that type of speech. :confused: I am not a lawyer so I don't know any better, but I wish the kid success fighting back against censorship of weather talk.

Maybe the kid is standing on his desk and screaming hurricane names at the top of his lungs

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

A classic other party shows up in the comments one

quote:

Posted by u/OKOrganization9552
My situation went from bad to worse in a matter of a week and I don't know where else to turn. I need to know if I was wrong. Possibly a validation thing because life is loving dumb right now. My wife and I have been together for 8 years and she just gave birth to our first (and last) baby 2 months ago. Up until my wife got pregnant, my mom loved her. I'm not sure wtf is wrong with my mom or why the switch happened but after my wife got pregnant, my mom started being very clingy to me and started avoiding my wife at all costs. Told everyone she wasn't excited about the pregnancy, etc. I threatened to go no contact with her when my wife was about 7 months along and after that she snapped out of it for the most part and stopped being so ignorant. The comments 100% stopped, at least. Though she still was clinging to me.
Now, a week ago my mom, my sister, my sister's husband and my sister's daughter (12) came over for dinner. I prepared the meal. Before my wife could eat anything, our daughter got fussy so my wife excused herself to go feed the baby and get her down to sleep. I thought I prepared enough but apparently not because my niece was still "starving" (she's 5'5" and 190lbs, I haven't seen her in a year and she was not that size then so I didn't exactly portion in an extra 3 helpings for a child- so it's on me). I apologized and told her that I hadn't made any more and offered her crackers, as I was putting my wife's portion in the fridge. After that, I just went outside with my sister's husband to smoke a cigarette and shoot the breeze. Didn't think anything of it. But then I hear yelling from inside. When I walk in, my wife and my mom were screaming at each other. Apparently my mom (who saw me put my wife's food away) gave my niece my wife's portion of food. As I was walking inside, I heard my mom say "looks like you can afford to skip a meal" and slapped my wife's stomach. Right as soon as I get ready to step in (literally fast walking toward them yelling "enough"), my wife winds back and punches my mother square in the face and drops her. The whole house went silent outside of my mom crying and holding her face. I tell everyone to "get the gently caress out". Immediately everyone leaves and my wife just turns toward the counter and leans with her hands on the counter and face down, eyes closed. I look at my wife and say "you too, leave, now." She says "really?" She's crying at this point. I say a clipped "yup". She packs up her and the baby and leaves.
I text her that night and say I just need space. I need to decompress and come to terms with what just happened. She doesn't respond. The next 5 days I'm texting and calling and I get nothing. She shows up here today (so 8 days later) and hands me divorce paperwork and my baby and says "here, you have a bit to hang out with her while I pack. Where I'm breastfeeding we can work out a visitation schedule that is either at your place or my mother's until she will take a bottle." I told her that's not what I want. I don't want to separate. I just needed time to process her punching my mother in the face. She said "you needing time to process gave me time to process the fact that I refuse to be in this situation any longer. I defended myself. I initially felt bad and remorseful but you making me leave when I needed you made me see more clear. I'm done. I'm sorry for what I did but there's no fixing this." She refused to speak to me at all the rest of the time that she was here. My house feels so empty and I don't know what to do. AITA for making her leave after she punched my mom? I just needed some loving space.
ETA: for the record, I am "team wife". My mom deserved it, wholeheartedly, and I've blocked her completely from my life. I literally just needed time to process what happened. My wife is a lot of things, violent is not one of them. So this came completely out of left field and would not have happened without her being provoked. After it all happened, my mom sent me a text saying "See! I told you she was crazy! That fat bitch doesn't belong in **our** life." I'm willing to bet she purposely tried setting my wife off. So no, I'm on my wife's side 100%. I truly just needed to process what happened and my wife took it as me giving up on her, not defending her and throwing her and our baby out (which did essentially happen because I knew she had to take the baby with her when I kicked her out).
eta: the reason "why": my dad was stupid abusive. I was beat. My sister's and brother were beat. My mom was put in the hospital multiple times. It took years for police to enforce restraining orders and he finally died in 2013. Violence scares the gently caress out of me. I clam up and get anxious around violence of any kind now. My wife knows this and she too grew up with a violent dad (step dad) and she gets just as anxious and panicky around violence. Her punching my mom in the face triggered an anxious response and I needed her gone in that moment. I needed it far away from me. I don't know why I didn't just leave. I could have. But in that moment I just let my emotions and fear run the whole loving circus and told everyone to get out, her included. My mom did slap her first.. I guess for some reason I was seeing my wife's punch as being worse than the slap. It wasn't a hard slap but my wife did kind of wince, looking back on it now. She was fine following but my mom was bleeding. Split her eyebrow open in good shape. Idk.
thanks for the responses. I'm the AH. I'm going to try to go kiss rear end now.
RELEVANT COMMENTS/ADDITIONAL INFO
OOP
My mom did hurt her. She slapped her in the stomach and my wife winced back in pain before punching her in the face. As a few other people have pointed out.. I guess new moms have muscles separated in their abdomen so given the force that my mom slapped her in the stomach (like a little bit below the rib cage, full back handed slap, which could be heard from the door), I guess it's comparable to hitting my wife in her internal organs? Because her stomach muscles aren't healed? I just learned that.
PrettyLittleAccident
I’m sorry, you’re saying it wasn’t a hard slap but you could HEAR IT?!?!? Unless it was skin on skin, slaps are not usually something that can be heard at a distance
~
OlderMan42
Yup, YTA
Your mom wants to be your wife, or at least more important than her.
You really did need to prioritize your wife over your mother, end of story.
I hope you get another shot at it. Kinda depends on the past… if she has enough positive memories to make it worthwhile in her mind.
OOP
Starting to see that. My wife sent me a text about 10 minutes ago, saying "look up emotional incest", with no context. Definitely describes what my mom's doing. I did completely block her but it won't help my case.
~
CarrieFantastic6990
Info what other comments did your mom make about your wife?
OOP
That she was stealing me away. That she wasn't good enough. Made a few comments about baby trapping me. Never said it directly to me or my wife but it got back to us quick. She tried denying it at first but later confirmed she said it. Thats when I threatened no contact and nothing ever got back to us after that. I just assumed all had cleared up.
My response to my husband’s post “AITA for kicking my wife out after she punched my mom in the face?” Apr 7, 2024
Posted by u/ThrowAwayWifeNBaby
I’m still grieving at the loss of my marriage, but my friend had notified me about my husband’s post that had too may specific details that were hard to ignore. To clarify, this is my first time on Reddit. I read my soon-to-be ex-husband’s post and wanted to give my side of the story and include details that he didn’t provide in his post.
For those who hadn’t read it, long story short, my husband kicked me out of the house after his mother had physically slapped my stomach in front of him and I punched her in self-defense. I loved my husband dearly but his lack of action regarding his mother’s behavior was extremely disgusting to say the least, I tolerated his mom’s behavior long enough until I couldn’t take it anymore as he had overlooked his mom’s behavior over and over again that finally I had enough.
I was still recovering after giving birth to his child when his mom slapped my stomach, and my husband exaggerated when he said it wasn’t a hard slap. The slap itself was hard enough to be heard by everyone in the room. I had lost it at this point when his mother slapped my stomach with a turd eating smirk that wasn’t visible from my husband’s point of view, at least that’s what my husband claimed.
I had a mental breakdown when my husband told me to leave after kicking everyone out of the house, you should have seen his face when he told me to get out with a straight face and without hesitation. Our baby was crying at this point before I left, and I couldn’t do anything but cry that night after I went to stay with my mother. His mother sent me a text mockingly saying, "I am going to file charges against you for assault, you fat little whore!" Now stay the gently caress out of our lives!" She ended the text with a smiley face at the end. I was livid and decided I did not want to be associated with this family anymore and served my husband divorce papers, and as you can guess he didn’t take it well and tried to get me to reconsider.
I told him that he overlooked his mother’s behavior one too many times, and I was done with him and his inability to establish boundaries with his mother. I recommended setting boundaries, but he didn’t think it was necessary even after I told him throughout the pregnancy about the nasty names his mother called me when he wasn’t around, and he always brushed it off, even though he did tell his mom to stop she would continue this behavior after a short pause for a while.
Before I left after handing him divorce papers he begged me for another chance and told me he cut contact with his mother permanently. I told him that he is sorry now that I handed him divorce papers and that he was too late to act now that I decided I wanted out of the marriage. I told him I loved him so much that he should look at it as a sign that if I didn’t than I would have divorced him long ago because he didn’t stand up for me multiple times. and I let his mother’s snarky comments and behavior slide at my mental expense.
I told him he needed help with the trauma because I understand that he is dealing with trauma since he already mentioned my abusive stepdad, but he didn’t even realize that his mother hadn’t gotten him help for his trauma that he is still being affected in his adulthood. What I can’t understand is why he didn’t leave if he needed some space instead of being such a heartless bastard and kicking our child out with me. I’ve been ignoring his texts and calls ever since, and I’m waiting for a divorce hearing.
Something that I wanted to point out is that his mother had attributed to his niece’s weight gain, since she lives with my husband’s sister to save money. I, once again, told my husband about his niece’s weight gain that it’s concerning that she weighs 190lb at such a young age, and she was indeed not that weight before. On the day of the incident I was making the niece’s second portion of food and then my husband’s mother came towards me and snatched the plate out of my hands and said "I’ll do it myself, let me take care of it!" and when I tried to take the plate back his mother said "I know what to loving do, you don’t know how to properly feed someone as healthy as my grandchild!" I was shocked that she thinks that her grandchild’s weight was normal for her age.
I couldn’t take this harassment or abuse any longer and my breaking point was reached when he kicked me and our child out of the house, now I need to do what’s right for our child because she doesn’t need to be in a toxic household where she has to witness the drama going on. My soon-to-be ex-husband wants us to do marriage counseling, to which I have refused to do so because I am done with him. I’m starting to feel slightly guilty with his begging and gaslighting. I just want to be done with him. I’ve blocked him as recommended by my lawyer but he keeps reaching out through his other family members and siblings. What should I do to make him go away until the divorce hearing?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

On my recently pregnant wife’s side 100%, I say, as I kick her out of our house

E: he kicked out the baby too holy poo poo comic book villain level of bad husband

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 14, 2024

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

rpop posted:

I too am not a lawyer, but generally, courts give public schools plenty of discretion.

Dress codes, locker searches, restrictions on profanity, rules about PDA, even content blockers on the computers could all be viewed as questionable constitutionally, but are all fairly commonplace - they only tend to run into issues when they are pretty explicitly targeted against a protected category.

For example, banning a yarmulke or hijab? Probably not going to fly. Banning Big Johnson novelty misogynistic t-shirts? Not a court in the country would have a problem with that.

Also, how in the gently caress are Big Johnson t-shirts still bejng produced?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So my friends work in like art therapy and special needs education, and there's a great local system/program that gives special needs kids art therapy and other activities. The problem is that the few boomers at the very top of the program are violently anti-video game and anti-internet. They don't understand either and think it's important that kids "focus on real things". As such, they have a strict rule that any story, picture, or art of any kind that is caught having any sort of video game or overly-internety related references are immediately trashed. They feel they need this sort of tough love to help the kids.

It's insanely stupid and for a lot of these kids they have horrible home lives and online games are their only escape and social support networks. You've got kids who's only real friends are on minecraft or other games and they've formed genuine friendships there, but these awful child-hating boomers running the program will pick up the art they drew that depicts them and their friends inside a minecraft world and throw it in the trash. For the kid's own good of course.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

whoa big Johnson ba mam ba mam

mystes
May 31, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

So my friends work in like art therapy and special needs education, and there's a great local system/program that gives special needs kids art therapy and other activities. The problem is that the few boomers at the very top of the program are violently anti-video game and anti-internet. They don't understand either and think it's important that kids "focus on real things". As such, they have a strict rule that any story, picture, or art of any kind that is caught having any sort of video game or overly-internety related references are immediately trashed. They feel they need this sort of tough love to help the kids.

It's insanely stupid and for a lot of these kids they have horrible home lives and online games are their only escape and social support networks. You've got kids who's only real friends are on minecraft or other games and they've formed genuine friendships there, but these awful child-hating boomers running the program will pick up the art they drew that depicts them and their friends inside a minecraft world and throw it in the trash. For the kid's own good of course.
Has whoever decided to institute that rule ever directly interacted with anyone born this millennium?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

mystes posted:

Has whoever decided to institute that rule ever directly interacted with anyone born this millennium?

Yes, and the reason kids are so weird and socially stunted that come to their program is because of the video games and internet, she blames all current childhood problems on video game and internet. They strongly believe that. So despite it being a government funded program, the 70 year old lady who passionately started it 30 years ago still gets the rule it like an absolute dictator. The fun of the non-profit sector. Everyone's just waiting for her to die or retire so they can immediately get rid of that rule. She's apparently an otherwise very nice lady who's passionate about helping kids with special needs via art therapy, but she will die on the hill of NO VIDEO GAME ART.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for running up a $150 tab after my dad said “order whatever you want”?

quote:

My dad (45M) is an employee at a high end italian restaurant. He will occasionally play guitar during the busier hours on weekends and the owner compensates him for this via under the table cash. On this specific night it was just him and some other girl preforming - he was playing guitar and she was singing. They made $600 total from what I was told, so $300 each.

My dad invited me (24M) to play lead guitar on this same night with them. He didn’t mention anything about paying me, but said he would treat me to a free meal and let me get a few drinks. I assumed this was because he gets some kind of employee discount or something. Plus, I was technically providing a service to the whole restaurant by playing along with them.

I ended up running up a bill of $150 over the course of 4 hours, and my dad texted me the next morning PISSED (I left a bit earlier than them). He said the bartender handed him the bill with a worried look on his face and said “this was mainly your son”. My dad says I’m an AH for taking advantage of him, although this was not my intention. I did order more drinks then I usually would have, but this is because I assumed he had employee benefits. My girlfriend works at a different restaurant and whoever she comes in with gets 50% off every time, no questions asked. I would later find out that this wasn’t the case for my dads restaurant and he had to foot the entire bill.

My dad thinks I’m a selfish POS, and he even texted me girl explaining the situation to her. They both think I’m an AH, but the way I look at it is I was performing a service by playing guitar with them and I was the only one who wasn’t paid. My dad explicitly stated that he would cover dinner and drinks for me coming out. I ordered a dinner, desert, and the rest was drinks. This was over the course of 4 hours. My dad says I’ll never play with them again now. I think he’s playing the victim hard here. I mean technically speaking an even split would have been $200 for each performer and I didn’t ask about compensation once.

He drank a whisky drink
He drank a vodka drink
He drank eight drinks.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

A classic other party shows up in the comments one

Lmao this is an old one (can’t remember if updates are newer) but “you too, leave now” is still so fuckin lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

He drank a whisky drink
He drank a vodka drink
He drank eight drinks.
Everyone on reddit is saying YTA but I honestly feel like this is poor communication on both sides. It's not totally crazy for the OP to assume his father got some sort of discount, although he didn't actually try to confirm that, and it also would have been really easy for the father to tell him to keep it to a certain amount, especially at a restaurant like that where it's probably extremely easy to run up that much money from drinks.

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 14, 2024

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
AFAIK comps are usually pretty clear so it’s on the dad if he wasn’t clear about what the son could order. Also gently caress that place for no employee/performer discount even if dinner and 15 drinks or whatever is excessive

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

150 sounds a fair shake for 4 hours of guitar playing honestly when the total comp is $600, maybe even a bit on the low side

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

mystes posted:

Everyone on reddit is saying YTA but I honestly feel like this is poor communication on both sides. It's not totally crazy for the OP to assume his father got some sort of discount, although he didn't actually try to confirm that, and it also would have been really easy for the father to tell him to keep it to a certain amount, especially at a restaurant like that where it's probably extremely easy to run up that much money from drinks.
I think having eight drinks on somebody else's dime is tacky under almost all circumstances.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

yea if he was just there hanging out doing nothing it's one thing but he was performing for like 2-3 hours for free, if dad had expectations for how much to spend he shoulda said something, 8 drinks is more than I would probably go for but not like crazy outrageous I guess? not much of a drinker idk

mystes
May 31, 2006

Where is 8 drinks coming from? Is that just an estimate based on guessing how much each drink should have been? I don't think the OP actually said that. In one comment it seems like he said 5 (he may have gotten five beers?), and it seems like he was waiting for a long period before he started which is why he ended up getting so many.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Did he actually have eight drinks though or was that just somebody riffing off the post where the one guy had eight drinks at his birthday dinner?

Because if you're at a high end italian restaurant, I wouldn't be surprised to hit a bill of 150 with like an entree that isn't a pasta dish, a nice dessert, and maybe like three drinks?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

mystes posted:

Yeah, I was on team YTA up front, but after reading through the end it feels like they should've gotten a decent chunk of the cash anyway if they hadn't spent it on food and drinks. Everyone sucks for not communicating and working out a decent split of the compensation up front, but I feel less set against OP since they should've gotten paid for being a third of the band anyway.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think having eight drinks on somebody else's dime is tacky under almost all circumstances.

Irish blood. Not even buzzed.

mystes
May 31, 2006

$150 included a couple drinks that the father got. Also, assuming the bar tab included the food as well (the way it's written this admittedly isn't 100% clear but I think it's implied to be the case), I don't think the amount is at all crazy for a fancy restaurant, and his father still should have made $150 after paying the other person, and it's less than 1/3 of the take, so it just seems like the dad is angry that he couldn't exploit OP more?

I think saying "lol I'm not bringing you again" would have been an ok reaction, or saying "if I bring you again keep it to $xx", but his father getting angry at him after not being clear and basically trying to exploit him for free labor just seems unreasonable. At least chalk this up to a learning experience.

Basically it's just so easy to rack up that much at a fancy restaurant that it seems incredibly stupid of the dad to not be clear and then get pissed.

People are jumping on the op for saying he ordered more than he would have normally but that's understandable since he was there for hours and he assumed his dad was getting some kind of discount

I'm actually mystified at why like 95% of the comments are saying YTA on this one.

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 14, 2024

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

https://i.imgur.com/15ccpHd.mp4

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lmfao

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Shanghaied posted:

This reminds me of a situation from high school where we had an autistic classmate who was really into the Titanic. On a long enough timeline, by which I mean more than a minute or two, he'd start spitting Titanic facts. It wasn't his fault, but it also wasn't what anyone else wanted to talk about. At the same time, this was a small school and a very congenial class in particular and we had adopted an unofficial policy of not excluding the one or two neurodivergent kids in the class. No one wanted to tell Milo to stop with the Titanic facts for fear of his feelings, and a teacher jumped on the grenade for us. When Titanic talk was banned, he'd still do it, but less so because he didn't want to get in trouble.

Not saying that's what's happening here, but it did remind me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

He drank a whisky drink
He drank a vodka drink
He drank eight drinks.

"We figured beer was complimentary for the band"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lsD-sN-vQo