Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
There used to be a mod that put survival meals below paste in priority, but I can't find it anymore :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

isndl posted:

When you're getting weird food behavior that includes feeding raw stuff, it's good to double check that there are no dietary restrictions going on (food assignments, ideology beliefs or gene stuff if modded). You might have meat in your meals and a pawn that gets massive mood penalties for eating it, for example.

I had all default settings for everything and the freshly cooked meals were made out of the same potatoes that were being fed raw. I also had the most basic possible ideology.

Although now that I'm thinking about it, the bedridden person in question was some bleeding rando who probably had a completely different ideology.

QuarkJets posted:

As for the second one, does the bedridden colonist happen to be a pig-person or some other xenotype with Robust Digestion? Because that would explain the behavior. If not, then I'd suggest disabling Common Sense

Nah. Because they instantly got food poisoning from the potatoes.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Without spoilers, roughly how early is it okay to activate the monolith if I don't want to risk getting completely hosed over?

The progression is gated, just like mechanitor stuff was. Just activating the monolith, I've had:

- Two Death Pall weather events (which turn corpses into shambling zombies for a few days; not an issue on a brand new colony!)
- Maybe 5ish events where 1 easy to defeat monster came onto the map
- One unconscious ghoul landed on my map via drop pod; since it was incapacitated it was very easy to capture
- One obelisk event that was honestly really easy to deal with and gave me a ton of nice loot
- One pretty good ominous-sounding pawn joined my colony (I mentioned them earlier itt), it's been awhile with no betrayal so this just seemed to be all upside

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Nah. Because they instantly got food poisoning from the potatoes.

Yeah that's probably just mod fuckery then.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there a good basic storyteller mod that doesn't try to wipe you outright?

I don't know if it changed since I looked into it, but I remember reading about the specifics of how the storytellers worked and landed on the opinion that Cassanda and Phoebe were actively going out of of their way to kill you, by sending progressively stronger raids until you crack, while Randy just did random events, which is why I always played with him and no one else.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

The progression is gated, just like mechanitor stuff was. Just activating the monolith, I've had:

- Two Death Pall weather events (which turn corpses into shambling zombies for a few days; not an issue on a brand new colony!)
- Maybe 5ish events where 1 easy to defeat monster came onto the map
- One unconscious ghoul landed on my map via drop pod; since it was incapacitated it was very easy to capture
- One obelisk event that was honestly really easy to deal with and gave me a ton of nice loot
- One pretty good ominous-sounding pawn joined my colony (I mentioned them earlier itt), it's been awhile with no betrayal so this just seemed to be all upside

Oh I forgot to mention one more:
- I got a cultist raid, which worked out kind of like a mortar siege but they were trying to summon a bunch of fleshbeasts instead. There were only 3 guys so I took them out before they could finish the ritual

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Danaru posted:

Couldn't have been that smart then

:hai:

Also I'm pretty sure they were going to be a traitor anyway, because when they died I got the inhuman howl event that summons a sightstealer. That doesn't happen with the non-traitor ones in my experience.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Without spoilers, roughly how early is it okay to activate the monolith if I don't want to risk getting completely hosed over?

I would suggest focusing on getting your base somewhat stable first, some of the events will happen whatever you do, but poking the rock encourages it to poke back, so you probably want to have enough of a base set up that you can defend yourself and devote some spare time to research and so you aren't starving to death while you're trying to deal with weird stuff.

Bear in mind you won't be able to develop a good understanding of some of the things you will encounter unless you poke the monolith so the game kind of nudges you that way itself.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Jack Trades posted:

Is there a good basic storyteller mod that doesn't try to wipe you outright?

I don't know if it changed since I looked into it, but I remember reading about the specifics of how the storytellers worked and landed on the opinion that Cassanda and Phoebe were actively going out of of their way to kill you, by sending progressively stronger raids until you crack, while Randy just did random events, which is why I always played with him and no one else.

There are a bunch that are basically Randy with an extra gimmick, but I've yet to find one I've liked enough to make my go-to storyteller.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

OwlFancier posted:

I would suggest focusing on getting your base somewhat stable first, some of the events will happen whatever you do, but poking the rock encourages it to poke back, so you probably want to have enough of a base set up that you can defend yourself and devote some spare time to research and so you aren't starving to death while you're trying to deal with weird stuff.

Bear in mind you won't be able to develop a good understanding of some of the things you will encounter unless you poke the monolith so the game kind of nudges you that way itself.

Honestly, if you start with the Anomaly researchers start, the ghoul and one of the scientists with the shotgun can take on basically anything the first monolith tier throws at you

Edit: Got a mysterious distress signal that offered basically no explanation, this is what I found at the target:

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 14, 2024

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: Got a mysterious distress signal that offered basically no explanation, this is what I found at the target:

The “fun” part is when it happens to your base, I’m still figuring out what to do since I’m still limping after the last horrible event I had.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

How are the new weapons? Flamethrower etc

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As a general reminder, you can use herbal meds or better to anesthetise people and render them temporarily and harmlessly unconscious, as well as inducing a mild narcotic mood boost.

This is quite useful for managing a lot of the effects you might encounter.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

I found a weird lump of gray flesh...

That could be analyzed by a researcher so I did that and it said, this is evidence of an IMPOSTER, sloughed off their body (boy I don't like the word sloughed). Well, obviously this is Stewart 2, but it says there's not enough proof yet, we need more samples.

Cut to a month or three later and on the third sample, I believe, it says OK, now we can do a surgical procedure on people to find out of they are the imposter creature.

Stewart, time to prep your rear end for surgery.

I station a couple of dudes with assault rifles in the hospital. To absolutely nobody's surprise, a horrible creature emerges from Stewart.

...and three other colonists also burst forth monsters, along with a helpful message that:

- The original source was NOT Stewart 2, but a rando who joined the colony almost from the start, my best Construction lady and... uh oh... Cook.
- She infected, via food, all the others, including poor innocent Stewart 2 (so wrongly accused).

Anyway, everything's fine now here, how are you?

(I hope all my stored food is ok... gulp...)

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
The cube question:

Any idea how to solve this one? Studying doesn't seem to be progressing the anomaly. Had it for maybe close to a year at this point and it is really derailing my colony in a pretty annoying way.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I really like a lot of what's going on with Anomaly but I'm not super thrilled that most of it is gated behind Electricity being unlocked.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Thank you flesh monsters, very cool

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else noticed bills just vanishing off of tailor bench/smithy etc sometimes? I don't have any mods active that mess with them, but every so often I'll think "why am I out of tuques again" and then I'll check both my tailor benches and the bill is missing again.

With the smithy, it's the bill for maces that won't stick. I'm just glad this isn't happening to my kitchen stoves because it's already super annoying managing bills on there without the save/copy mods I had

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

^^^ Haven't been having that issue

The new mind-numb serum is insanely good, I've had a pawn that keeps being the target of Insult sprees and I just have him walk over to the warehouse and pop a serum and we're good to go. I'm running low because I got these from the obelisk labyrinth, hoping I can figure out how to make more soon

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
What mod is this I lost it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Danaru posted:

:3:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Danaru posted:

Dubs Mint Menus

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Of course it was a Dubs mod, I downloaded three of them without looking at his full list :argh: Thank you it was driving me crazy

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I swear to god the next pawn that gets the Entity Slayer debuff is getting shot on the spot

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doltos posted:

I swear to god the next pawn that gets the Entity Slayer debuff is getting shot on the spot

If you have a pawn with good social you can just arrest people out of mental breaks. They don't get catharsis but I've found it quite useful.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

If you have a pawn with good social you can just arrest people out of mental breaks. They don't get catharsis but I've found it quite useful.

How does 'unarresting' them work? Since they're a prisoner, do you need to re-recruit them, or does releasing return them to normal?

This tactic would've been handy to know when my Knight leader started releasing entities last night!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

OwlFancier posted:

That takes too long and gives a huge debuff. Beating them with sticks, however

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Danaru posted:

dubs mint menus.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

OwlFancier posted:

I like Snap Out! https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1319782555

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Seconding Snap Out! It and OgreStack are the two mods that I always have on.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

DarkLich posted:

How does 'unarresting' them work? Since they're a prisoner, do you need to re-recruit them, or does releasing return them to normal?

This tactic would've been handy to know when my Knight leader started releasing entities last night!

You just choose 'Release' off the menu and they come right back to the colony. With a -6 'Been arrested' mood, but, whatever.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

DarkLich posted:

You can just release them, before you even take them to prison actually. They go back to normal immediately. The debuff really isn't that bad but obviously they will still be in danger of breaking again so giving them some drugs or something afterward is ideal.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DarkLich posted:

If they're a member of your faction you can just release a prisoner and they'll be back and working. Note they'll have a mood negative due to being imprisoned which might not help the mental situation but is still significantly better than an insult spree or murderous rage.

Note that imprison-release works even when the pawn had a "gave up" mental break since they're still your faction until they leave the map. It doesn't work for run wild though; you can (and probably should) arrest them but they'll still need to be animal trained before they rejoin.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have no idea what to do here. I have no steel to do anything and the flesh keeps growing. It feels like the world's slowest death spiral.

Any ideas? I'm seriously considering grabbing everything I can and abandoning the tile but it sucks to lose the base.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DarkLich posted:

No if you release them they will rejoin you, as I said though they don't get catharsis, so they can break again right after. Good use for the aforementioned anasthetic however, or you can keep them in the prison for a while until they cool off.

Doltos posted:

That takes too long and gives a huge debuff. Beating them with sticks, however

It's instantaneous if it succeeds, which it should with a good social pawn. They just need to touch the mental breaker to stop them.

lunar detritus posted:

I have no idea what to do here. I have no steel to do anything and the flesh keeps growing. It feels like the world's slowest death spiral.

Any ideas? I'm seriously considering grabbing everything I can and abandoning the tile but it sucks to lose the base.

Have you tried attacking it? It breaks in chunks if you damage a piece and the pawns will then find another piece to attack, so you don't have to take out each individual tile.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 14, 2024

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I mean if "overgrown with throbbing, devouring meat that hungers for the taste of human flesh" isn't a good reason to pack up and hit the trail I don't know what is. Can always come back later when you have powered armor and flamethrowers.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

lunar detritus posted:

OwlFancier posted:

Have you tried attacking it? It breaks in chunks if you damage a piece and the pawns will then find another piece to attack, so you don't have to take out each individual tile.

Does fire spread across it? :black101:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
proxy barracks and bunker rush it maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I can destroy the walls but it spawns monsters and I only have shotguns (with no steel to make anything else) so everyone ends up getting hurt or dying.

Asimo posted:

I mean if "overgrown with throbbing, devouring meat that hungers for the taste of human flesh" isn't a good reason to pack up and hit the trail I don't know what is. Can always come back later when you have powered armor and flamethrowers.

:hmmyes:

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 14, 2024