Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

dr_rat posted:

Enclave probably has crazy security. So scanning literally everything he brought out of the lab is very possible. He likely just thought that was the safest way to do it without getting caught. Also it's a decent way to make sure you don't accidentally lose it. This was something he was willing to live he's entire life for, and in the end die for, so a bit of pain while injecting it would be a very, eh whatever thing.

alternatively, it's Fallout and that is very squarely on brand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

SimonChris posted:

One thing I don't understand is that cold fusion is treated as a magical mcguffin, but they already have "fusion cores" capable of powering an entire vault indefinitely, as seen in Vault 4. Don't they use cold fusion? Futhermore, the fusion cores are apparently the same ones used by the power armors, so a single power armor battery could power an entire community. I guess the cold fusion chip is just a lot more powerful.

The joke is that the Fusion Cores(tm) are essentially fissionable reactors. They eventually run out. The company that makes them is Mass Fusion. Think of it like that amazon AI teller with a backend of thousands of indian workers.

Splorange posted:

edit: beaten, but have my two lovely cents on the matter

Probably referring to the fallout 3 ending, which has the main character unecessarily sacrificing themselves. But, could be anything. Bethesda writing is not very thought-through, it's a feature. Don't let that put you off the games, they are enjoyable even though you have to turn off your brain for some of it. The originals (1 & 2) were not perfect serious works of fiction either, but in their own way.

If someone unironically refers to Todd Howard/Emil Pagliarulo as the single blame for something or other, it's a coin toss whether you end up in crazy town video game discourse. I like to poo poo on bethesda games and their occasionally non-sensical writing or paper thin characters.. or just outrageous merchandizing etc. but I've racked up thousands of hours in them regardless and I fail to see what bullying or threatening beth employees is going to accomplish.

The original ending of 3 makes perfect thematic sense. You are a Vault Dweller (but not really) and you or lyons are supposed to be the martyr whose sacrifice ensures that a great work reaches its ending. The intro even says "you were born here, you will die here." Its reaching at something that is really at odds with everything you have done so far in the game apart from the main quest.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 14, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Also one other thing I didn't know about going in was I thought WW3 happened in like 1960 or something. All the music and the aesthetics are old timey so I just assumed 200 years later meant 200 years from 1960-1970.

Are all of the technology we see (the airships, the power armor, and the osprey-like aircraft) suppose to have been developed and built before the war? I've been scanning some of these pages and people were talking about post-post apocalypse and in the show we see that there are very capable scientists and engineers so I thought this implied that all the flying and armor technology was developed after the war by the people who managed to survive on the surface. But the last episodes suggests that the armor at least was a relic of the past. Overall the technology is really weird for me to understand as someone who hasn't played the game. I don't understand how people are skilled enough to keep aircraft operating and repaired while at the same time everyone is living in dumpster heaps.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The elevator pitch that helped my fiance understand the retro-futurism of fallout is "the 21st century as imagined in 1950s sci-fi." Transistors but better. Movies on tapes! The power of the atom in your home oven range. Art deco chrome robot servants Etc. Then the missiles fly.

Almost all technology and equipment is vintage pre-war including vertibirds and power armor.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also one other thing I didn't know about going in was I thought WW3 happened in like 1960 or something. All the music and the aesthetics are old timey so I just assumed 200 years later meant 200 years from 1960-1970.

Are all of the technology we see (the airships, the power armor, and the osprey-like aircraft) suppose to have been developed and built before the war? I've been scanning some of these pages and people were talking about post-post apocalypse and in the show we see that there are very capable scientists and engineers so I thought this implied that all the flying and armor technology was developed after the war by the people who managed to survive on the surface. But the last episodes suggests that the armor at least was a relic of the past. Overall the technology is really weird for me to understand as someone who hasn't played the game. I don't understand how people are skilled enough to keep aircraft operating and repaired while at the same time everyone is living in dumpster heaps.

flying aircraft etc requires a lot of technical knowledge that factions like the brotherhood of steel (in civ terms they are building really tall) or the NCR (in civ terms they are building really wide) have, alongside a few other entities like the Enclave (remnants of the corporate oligarchy that was the pre-war US government). Most people are some variety of subsistence farmers much like the world today.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just imagine that the 50s aesthetic came back. Like how teen fashion repeats every 20-30 years. In the 2070s, people got really into 1950s style stuff. Then everything got bombed and it was stuck there forever.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Is that what the lore calls tiltrotor aircraft? They do exist irl, see: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Boeing_V-22_Osprey

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Honestly loved every minute of this season. Found the last episode weaker than the rest of the season but it was SUCH a fun ride. Great effects, props, and vibe.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is that what the lore calls tiltrotor aircraft? They do exist irl, see: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Boeing_V-22_Osprey

the in-universe term for them is vertibirds

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh, I'm familiar. When I was a talking head on AFN I remember it seemed like every other story was about one of those fuckers smashing into the dirt and killing a dozen marines, so tilt-rotor aircraft holding up for centuries seems like a real engineering feat.

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Vertibird

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I just imagine that the 50s aesthetic came back. Like how teen fashion repeats every 20-30 years. In the 2070s, people got really into 1950s style stuff. Then everything got bombed and it was stuck there forever.

It seems to be heavily implied they reached the 50's, went fascist and just never moved on from there.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah but FO2 has Tool posters.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Fallout 2 is non-canon :reject:

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

season 2, someone brings out a deck of cards, it ain't Caravan, it's Tragic.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tankbuster posted:

yeah but FO2 has Tool posters.

True, but fallout 2 also has the Dr who Tardis, and the Monty python bridge wizard. I'd put that down to just one of the people working on it really liking tool.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope Season 2 starts every episode with a scrolling list of each quest from every game that is no longer canon due to the events of that episode.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I know some of the extra costumes were dire but mostly forgivable, but what really took me out was the troops in the last episode who had MICH railed helmets with NVG mounts. Global War of Terror gear is the exact wrong aesthetic for art deco 60's popular science cover style 21st century military tech.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

The games probably make this specific but I understood the aesthetics being stuck in the 1950s as due to the world of Fallout diverging from ours around that time - where the cold war didn't stay cold, but ramped up, and America never progressed in its mentality from 1950 onwards. So technology evolved from there, beyond what we have now in many ways, but stayed in the past in other ways, and ideology and culture also stayed put, until everything got nuked sometime in the mid 21st century.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Owlbear Camus posted:

I know some of the extra costumes were dire but mostly forgivable, but what really took me out was the troops in the last episode who had MICH railed helmets with NVG mounts. Global War of Terror gear is the exact wrong aesthetic for art deco 60's popular science cover style 21st century military tech.

blame modders for inserting that poo poo into the games.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

roomtone posted:

The games probably make this specific but I understood the aesthetics being stuck in the 1950s as due to the world of Fallout diverging from ours around that time - where the cold war didn't stay cold, but ramped up, and America never progressed in its mentality from 1950 onwards. So technology evolved from there, beyond what we have now in many ways, but stayed in the past in other ways, and ideology and culture also stayed put, until everything got nuked sometime in the mid 21st century.

I always liked the thought that it was a form of particularly virulent reactionary throwback culture trying to paper over the failures of society showing through the cracks in the run up to the war, not that the US was stuck in the 50s for 150 years.

The older 2 games had a mix of 50s environments and 80s military hardware together.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 14, 2024

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

roomtone posted:

Part of it is also when certain technology was developed— canonically the transistor wasn’t invented until the mid-2000s, so vacuum tubes, magnetic reels, and punchcards were still necessary for decades longer than in reality.

Alternate history wise, the Soviet Union never collapsed and was instead backed by China as it emerged as a global superpower, which meant tensions never really broke and McCarthyism-fueled nationalism dug in deep. By 2077 oil was running out, the world had started to focus on atomic power to keep going, and everything was primed to go to hell in a handbasket in international diplomacy— which it did.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Wee Bairns posted:

She really is great. She plays it perfect from simple innocence to 'poo poo-I-just cut Ben's head off', to some really emotional moments deep in. And I had no idea she was a Brit using an American accent, and also the voice of Gwynn on Star Trek: Prodigy (which is a great role, but to be fair imo her VA never stood out as spectacular, only capable).

drat, I didn't make the connection she's Gwynn. That's a much more reserved character than this though.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

ah hell, i just got fallout 4: goty version.

i avoided it when it came out because people said it was bad, but come to think of it, they said that about 3 too and i liked it. plus if the amount of nerd whining the show has gotten is any indication, i'm gonna enjoy it anyway.

i think i'll load it up with some mods beforehand, must be some good ones in the decade since it came out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There are definitely postwar developments in technology but they're not as flashy. There's at least two types of Power Armour that were developed after the Great War.

The tricky part of building new things is having the facilities capable of making them in the first place. Scavenging only gets you so far.

On the topic of fusion and post-scarcity, It's at once a farce and a tragedy. Fusion technology doesn't actually exist (at least until this show's Cold Fusion breakthrough) and was just a marketing gimmick created to sucker people into using old fashioned fission instead while being none the wiser.

It's extra ironic because there are post-scarcity technologies lying around the Wasteland that would be worth so much more than the dream of Fusion energy, but they also happen to be located in radioactive hellholes like the Sierra Madre, the Big Empty or The Divide.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Hey now, Big Empty is a hellhole for reasons almost entirely unrelated to radioactivity! :v:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I don't like that they just had star trek tech pre-war as incidental. Completely sidesteps the resource scarcity.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

I don't like that they just had star trek tech pre-war as incidental. Completely sidesteps the resource scarcity.

I've thought about this but, also the entire premise of Star Trek (and also real life), is that technology cannot work without cultural advancement. Chiefly, the abandonment of capitalism. Fallout is what happens when you have that and keep being neoliberal, bloodthirsty, monsters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Plus none of those post scarcity developments are actually that attainable. They'd be nice to have but it's suicidal trying to get to them.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The thing about fallout is that its not neoliberal. The united states produces things in the universe instead of just being a service economy. Financial capitalism hasn't overwhelmed the state and shipped production off elsewhere. Honestly none of the factions in fallout are neoliberal. NCR feels like 1820s america where the state is woefully underequipped to do anything but barely prosecute wars. The Minutemen are a self help group that popped up after the commonwealth government collapsed. The brotherhood of steel is an airmobile army unit. The Legion is a tribal horde. The Institute and New Vegas are both city states that are doing imperialism.

The post scarcity stuff works in the story the DLC was telling, but its for the best that it's locked away in it's own silo - like all the lovecraftian stuff in East Coast Fallouts.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nichael posted:

drat, I didn't make the connection she's Gwynn. That's a much more reserved character than this though.

She's also Jinx in Arcane! She's quickly gone from "wait... Do I know her?" to "holy poo poo I'm gonna watch whatever she's in"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

The thing about fallout is that its not neoliberal. The united states produces things in the universe instead of just being a service economy. Financial capitalism hasn't overwhelmed the state and shipped production off elsewhere. Honestly none of the factions in fallout are neoliberal. NCR feels like 1820s america where the state is woefully underequipped to do anything but barely prosecute wars. The Minutemen are a self help group that popped up after the commonwealth government collapsed. The brotherhood of steel is an airmobile army unit. The Legion is a tribal horde. The Institute and New Vegas are both city states that are doing imperialism.

The post scarcity stuff works in the story the DLC was telling, but its for the best that it's locked away in it's own silo - like all the lovecraftian stuff in East Coast Fallouts.

Yeah that's true and a good analysis.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

She's also Jinx in Arcane! She's quickly gone from "wait... Do I know her?" to "holy poo poo I'm gonna watch whatever she's in"

Same, I really like what I've seen of her roles.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

roomtone posted:

ah hell, i just got fallout 4: goty version.

i avoided it when it came out because people said it was bad, but come to think of it, they said that about 3 too and i liked it. plus if the amount of nerd whining the show has gotten is any indication, i'm gonna enjoy it anyway.

i think i'll load it up with some mods beforehand, must be some good ones in the decade since it came out.

If you have the version with all the DLC’s, don’t put off doing the extra content and you won’t need mods.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Some of the confusion about the aesthetics is that the rock and roll revolution never happened in the fallout universe

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tankbuster posted:

blame modders for inserting that poo poo into the games.

The STALKER weapons work so well though

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

tadashi posted:

If you have the version with all the DLC’s, don’t put off doing the extra content and you won’t need mods.

Yeah no thanks. I'd sooner not bother than raw dog a Bethesda game, bleech

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Just for fun.

https://twitter.com/ManyATrueNerd/status/1779589941816598737

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Blue Raider posted:

Some of the confusion about the aesthetics is that the rock and roll revolution never happened in the fallout universe

They made it as far as Rockabilly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arc Hammer posted:

They made it as far as Rockabilly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ximxe4XtU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's also that group of greaser power armor enthusiasts in 4 but they don't rule like the Tunnel Snakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

This isn’t brought up in the show but the Brotherhood have been in a bit of turmoil for the last twenty years and there's ideological splits going on between the various chapters. A big point of contention is recruitment from outside of the BOS itself. If the goal of the Brotherhood is to preserve technology and keep it out of the hands of those who would misuse it, why the hell would we allow wastelanders to join our ranks rather than just have our own kids and keep it within the community? So some BOS chapters split as a result.

What we're seeing in the show are members of the east coast Brotherhood chapters coming back west on their mission. The East Coast Brotherhood openly recruits from the Wasteland and initially was much more altruistic than the xenophobic members back west. They actually fought for the betterment of the Wasteland in Washington DC against a scourge of mutants and fascist paramilitary groups. However after the (suspicious) deaths of ruling members of the BOS in the capital wasteland, a new Elder was chosen, Arthur Maxson, a descendent of the original founder of the Brotherhood, Roger Maxson.

Arthur is not a nice person, but he's ambitious and he has the right name. Taking command of the east coast groups the BOS outcasts rejoined and the altruism faded away in favour of much more aggressive crusades against abominations and tech misuse. Outsiders can join and in general there seems to have been something of an attitude shift as a result. You're now hot poo poo marching around in Power Armour and big guns. The appeal to abuse power is tangible, especially when we look at the way the current flavour of Brotherhood appears to encourage bullying in their squire training. Thaddeus beats on Max because he and his cronies can, Max bullies him back because Power Armour means now HE can.

So you've got a bunch of people plodding around in Power Armour who enjoy the perks of being an rear end in a top hat to those weaker than them because their society has encouraged it in their training. It makes sense in the BOS's current context but you can't help feeling a bit sad that they've changed into much more pushy assholes than they were before when they were secluded isolationists.

Somebody on Reddit hit the Jet and proposed that elements of Ceasers Legion infiltrated/assimilated/merged with the Western BoS and the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced this is where the show is heading.

Their attitude towards training and the expendability of squires, the lack of education clearly present in the recruit, naming conventions, colour scheme (the flags in Filly after their takeover), using T-60s from the East rather than the T-51's the West traditionally had, the general lack of women... also a bunch of stuff Elder Cleric Quintus said.