Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

mystes posted:

That's insanely dumb. Why torpedo your own story just because some people on reddit figured it out when that probably won't affect how much 99% of viewers enjoy it?

i dunno, ask telltale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Eej posted:

The funniest thing about Westworld was that their original pitch to HBO was Season 3.

Creatives huffing their own farts

Lol so their one trick would've been "oooh the people in the city r controlled as if they were the robots" ~oOoOo~

I think that's an interesting twist and interesting season 2 ending maybe but seems like showing the Westworld from perspective of the hosts is so key

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

man is the real cowboy robot

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

cowboy bebot

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

mystes posted:

That's insanely dumb. Why torpedo your own story just because some people on reddit figured it out when that probably won't affect how much 99% of viewers enjoy it?

the charitable interpretation is that they were worried that they'd made the narrative too straightforwards and would thus bore people if they followed the same threads of logic they'd already established into season 2, but the more realistic interpretation is that they were mad at not being the cleverest people in the room

Khanstant posted:

Lol so their one trick would've been "oooh the people in the city r controlled as if they were the robots" ~oOoOo~

I think that's an interesting twist and interesting season 2 ending maybe but seems like showing the Westworld from perspective of the hosts is so key

what's staggering to me is that they didn't somehow understand the importance of the setting they'd created. a big part of why season 1 works is that it's, both literally and figuratively, the wild west: it's copying a genre that's historically been about humans living cliched narratives of selfish violence in a world that treats life as disposable, and so a park where real humans can come and inflict violence upon actual disposable people creates resonance. once you strip that away, you just get some loving david cage nonsense, and no one wants that

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think fans generally like something more when they figure out stuff in advance, rather than doing it to own the showrunners or whatever.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah season 2 of westworld was a real letdown -- the only good episode was the one with the native american host trying to find his wife again through all the resets and resurrections. Everything else got pretty dumb.

Though I lol'd pretty hard when the man in black's daughter caught up with him and she informed him of all the sex she had over in Rajworld :lol:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Playing System Shock Remake with the new update, and it doesn't really do anything after all to help you with where to go and how to solve some of the tougher puzzles. This game is such a huge puzzle like maze. Which is great if you like that sort of thing, but if your brain has been ruined by modern gaming, like mine has, its a tough one get through. I am wondering if the devs actually tested this update before releasing it though? Cause it feels like none of the changes they said in their patch notes, actually work or are implemented correctly. Thankfully I found this guide that looks to be extremely helpful https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3010102319

Anyways realistically most of this is just a me problem and there are some good user guides out there.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Westworld season one also got a whole bunch of stuff right about movie and game scripting and their relationship, theme park showmanship, theme park urban legends and easter eggs, and the same in games. All very interesting topics, almost completely dropped afterwards.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mystes posted:

it's like how lost has multiple scenes every season making fun of fan theories. mystery box brainrot where surprises are the most important thing often to exclusion of good writing because it's harder to surprise people if you give them any kind of framework or clues to have their own reasoning about what's going on. season 1 being as well told a story as it is was just an accident I guess

I don't even hate season 2 but it's the season where everyone is running around looking for a literal mystery box lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Game of Thrones...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Speaking of tv, I noticed how smartphones obviate so many Seinfeld episode plots!!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Speaking of tv, I noticed how smartphones obviate so many Seinfeld episode plots!!

there's a funny plot point in parasyte: the maxim - an anime update of an old pre-smartphone manga - that requires you to swallow the truly unbelievable scenario of a teenage girl forgetting her phone at home for it to work

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

mystery box storytelling sucks and it shows up because the writers don't have anything meaningful to say or themes to elaborate on

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It only works if the author knows what's in the box. They don't need to show what's in it, or even really acknowledge there is a box. But they need to know

mystes
May 31, 2006

I actually think even season 1 of westworld might have been a bit stronger if they made it a little bit less focused on plot twists

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

Game of Thrones...

no thank u

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lame of Thrones

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

I said come in! posted:

Westworld is loving amazing. I love that entire show, i'm the only person in existence that likes all four seasons.

Huh, didn't realize my wife posted here. Hi honey!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Chev posted:

Westworld season one also got a whole bunch of stuff right about movie and game scripting and their relationship, theme park showmanship, theme park urban legends and easter eggs, and the same in games. All very interesting topics, almost completely dropped afterwards.

I spent way too much of season 1 trying to work out the logistics of how all the quest scripting and stuff could work.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don’t really watch tv

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

I said come in! posted:

Westworld is loving amazing. I love that entire show, i'm the only person in existence that likes all four seasons.

There was a fourth season?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just play video games. No time for TV

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

hatty posted:

I just play video games. No time for TV

:same:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

It only works if the author knows what's in the box. They don't need to show what's in it, or even really acknowledge there is a box. But they need to know

what do you mean, it's great when JJ Abrams shows up at the start of a series, sets up a mystery box he has no intention of opening himself and bails so that better writers can make his work look like it had a point

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I watch anime sometimes

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waffleman_ posted:

Game of Thrones...

And who had a better story than Bran the Broken, besides everyone

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The mystery box in fallout was pretty good and it got me on the hook for that mystery lol.

Walton Goggins is amazing and I will watch season 2 for more of him.

I have no idea what people were smoking to come up with the theory that this show is all about how Todd Howard hates New Vegas and wants to destroy it and the original games so only his vision remains lol, it is so indebted to those games's worlds on so many levels Iike I thought people were joking when they said there's a scene where the character unfurls the NCR flag and the New Vegas theme plays but that is LITERALLY what happens. Like I guess if you really wanted to see specific beloved characters from Fallout 1 and 2 (like, uh... ?????) then it sucks to be you, but there's not even anything saying they couldn't be characters in this world it would be just in a slightly different context.

And the people who are complaining that the timeline depicted in the show isn't exactly like the games well... those people are truly lost

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The mystery box in fallout was pretty good and it got me on the hook for that mystery lol.

Walton Goggins is amazing and I will watch season 2 for more of him.

I have no idea what people were smoking to come up with the theory that this show is all about how Todd Howard hates New Vegas and wants to destroy it and the original games so only his vision remains lol, it is so indebted to those games's worlds on so many levels Iike I thought people were joking when they said there's a scene where the character unfurls the NCR flag and the New Vegas theme plays but that is LITERALLY what happens.

I also thought that was one of the coolest moments of the show because I played way, way too much NV and immediately recognized it and clapped

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

fridge corn posted:

There was a fourth season?

It had the Dark Souls episode

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i think the coolest new vegas reference in the show is when walter goggins rounds a corner, sees the number "84" spraypainted onto the ruins of a weathered wall, and simply nods ghoulishly

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was waiting for johnny fiveaces personally

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was waiting for johnny fiveaces personally

i'm sure you could've gotten benedict cumberbatch for cheap, too

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

mystes posted:

They genuinely thought their job as writers was to outsmart their audience

This basic misunderstanding of their jobs, as writers, proved that they were not smart enough, period.

It was a real problem in the industry for a while. Just, plot twists for the sake of them, without serving a real narrative purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afuwh0GXwbQ

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Stexils posted:

i dunno, ask telltale.

And five nights at freddy

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I never really watched his stuff, but I remember when learning of how Dan Harmon is a genuine shitbird and workplace hazard, one article I found was him complaining about having to stay ahead of the audience because they'd figure out all the plot twists of his cartoon show. I remember him using the term "human render farm" or something like that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Personally I would probably be happy if my audience was coming to the right conclusions because it meant that I had sufficiently seeded the mystery, good writing!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

wizard2 posted:

I never really watched his stuff, but I remember when learning of how Dan Harmon is a genuine shitbird and workplace hazard, one article I found was him complaining about having to stay ahead of the audience because they'd figure out all the plot twists of his cartoon show. I remember him using the term "human render farm" or something like that.

it's why the early seasons of community are his best work, it's before he really leaned into being like that

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jay Rust posted:

I don’t really watch tv
*rocks back and forth in chair, glances off towards the horizon* I remember that day, so long ago, when I turned the dial off for the last time. 'twas the airing of the 13th episode of breaking bad, and it was a good one I reckon, but as the sun set on that day, so too did my desire to ever watch the teevee again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Waffleman_ posted:

Personally I would probably be happy if my audience was coming to the right conclusions because it meant that I had sufficiently seeded the mystery, good writing!

Hard to understand creators being angry about people deeply understanding and caring about their work.