Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

sharkmafia posted:

It's still baffling to me that there's a segment of 40k players who are so brainwormed that they will scream about quitting the game over such a nothingburger

I mean, on the one hand, there are nerds that threaten to quit over any change; Primaris, the introduction of AoS (which was fair at the time), the lore change that made ethereals mind control other Tau which made them slightly more evil. But female space marines always had this vitriol behind it of “THEY are destroying what I love.” As if Space Marines being 100% male is some kind of cornerstone of fiction that cannot be broken, that is the last bastion before being infected by the WOKE!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I'm making an all female host called The Fish Speakers and nobody can stop me.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That's just the Sisters of Battle

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Eej posted:

That's just the Sisters of Battle

There's room for both.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I'm making an all female host called The Fish Speakers and nobody can stop me.

My new detachment.

Captain Rose Nylund posted:

We are vigilance unending. We are duty unstinting. We are punishment inescapable. We are the Adeptus Custodes, and all must fear our wrath.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

bird food bathtub posted:

I think there's a pretty good case to make that they could have been female all along. When you're an 8 foot tall walking talking hulking genetic freak with questionably as much of your original body left as you have now, who's to say you started off with one set of plumbing over the other? You're barely even human anymore and you live your life in either isolation or a form fitting fusion powered tank.

Would sort of make sense, biologically, all humans begin as females, males just have some extra junk on top, would be in some ways easier to start with female plumbing.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

There's room for both.

No the Sisters of Battle are literally based on the Fish Speakers from Dune.

Edit: not that you can't do both, Im just saying that the SoB are literally the fish speakers

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

AnEdgelord posted:

No the Sisters of Battle are literally based on the Fish Speakers from Dune.

Edit: not that you can't do both, Im just saying that the SoB are literally the fish speakers

I don't see the resemblance much. Fish speakers are married to men and act more as secret police. They don't wear any power armor analogue and aren't super religious, their boss is just god. Fish speakers also have weird bio truth stuff about only a woman army leading the o long term peace since men will want to start raping and conquering and create excuses for war.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Sisters Of Battle are the result of a legal loophole, which kinda owns.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

neaden posted:

I don't see the resemblance much. Fish speakers are married to men and act more as secret police. They don't wear any power armor analogue and aren't super religious, their boss is just god. Fish speakers also have weird bio truth stuff about only a woman army leading the o long term peace since men will want to start raping and conquering and create excuses for war.

tbf the biotruth stuff is pretty roundly poo poo on in heretics and chapterhouse with the honored matres to the point that it seems like Leto II was loving with the reader, also they are definately super religious but Leto only allows them the ritual of Siaynoq

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Nothing past the second, maaaaaaaaybe third, Dune books should be respected enough to recognize its existence. There's the possibility of some cool story beats in there but it turns into mind control vagina assassins and just keeps getting weirder and more icky.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Nothing past the second, maaaaaaaaybe third, Dune books should be respected enough to recognize its existence. There's the possibility of some cool story beats in there but it turns into mind control vagina assassins and just keeps getting weirder and more icky.

I thought the books were very good up to 4, then 5 is just people having meetings and saying dumb poo poo while their internal monologue was reeling with how meaningful and profound what was just said was. That's when I stopped.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

You're right I should have known better. It's just disappointing.

:agreed:

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Some people’s favorite part of any hobby is just complaining.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

You know what far future sci fi needs? Less weirdness!

God Emperor owns tho

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I'm not seeing any good eBay deals on dumped Custodes. Clearly, Rob needs to go even harder.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Eej posted:

You know what far future sci fi needs? Less weirdness!

God Emperor owns tho

while each dune sequel isn't quite as good as the preceding book, each is worth reading and definitely influenced the warhammer universe a whole lot

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Improbable Lobster posted:

while each dune sequel isn't quite as good as the preceding book, each is worth reading and definitely influenced the warhammer universe a whole lot

God emperor is book four and is easily the second best in the whole series

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Just don't read "books" "seven and eight". :negative:

(I only read book eight out of spite, I spent the entire time yelling at the characters for being so stupid and deserving of death.)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Eej posted:

I believe that's what is called a Shot Trap

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

dune 4 is the best one but its also the one where the author goes mask off as a huge lovecraft style bigot and has the characters have his melt down by proxy about his irl gay son

glad to see women custodes are a thing, i named a bunch of mine as such anyway. its bittersweet though because I just finished painting them in time to fight my friends orks next month and we both got new codexes and...

its impossible to actually build and play a list in 40k before it gets completely changed/shitcanned, outside of TTS anyway

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Frank Herbert is an equivalent of a bigot as HP Lovecraft is definitely not a take I thought I'd see today

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Eej posted:

Frank Herbert is an equivalent of a bigot as HP Lovecraft is definitely not a take I thought I'd see today

i think this is reading too much into a post where the poster just didn't use orson scott card's name instead

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

If you've gotta show boobs in your plate, that's probably the best way to do it. But :actually: you'll notice the glacias of the Sherman is rounded, not edged.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Herbert was absolutely a homophobe, moreso than average for his period, but I think he’s still light years better than Lovecraft, whose bigotry was basically the core of his personality until shortly before he died. Herbert being weird about sex is also par for the course for mid 20th century sci fi authors. By that standard he was almost a prude.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Warmachine posted:

If you've gotta show boobs in your plate, that's probably the best way to do it. But :actually: you'll notice the glacias of the Sherman is rounded, not edged.

you'll also notice that nobody in age of sigmar is shooting a howitzer at stormcast

that model is a late first-edition design (the early ones are all dudes) but i am highly amused that stormcast are leaning more and more into a ancient mediterranean look and the historical inspiration material includes stuff like this

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 15, 2024

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Desfore posted:

I’m not actively trying to follow this topic on Twitter, but I guess liking a couple posts about Custodes is all it takes to flood your feed with it:

https://x.com/warhammer/status/1779544596172689822?s=46&t=A_8U-gLj0vdEjhuKPT6Drw

The official Warhammer account is doubling down on support for Fem-Custodes, which is cool to see. I’ve just been waiting for someone to open the floodgates on the idea that just because that Custode used “She” pronouns, doesn’t necessarily mean they’re biologically female. And then see chuds’ heads explode at the idea of a genetically engineered meta-human in the year 40,000 being trans.

You could cross-reference the replies to this Tweet with Andrew Tate enthusiasts, and it'd be one fuckin' circle on a Venn diagram.

(And as someone who has been in this hobby since the very early 90's, I am here for their meltdowns.)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Hmmm maybe units shouldn't get the fights first charge bonus if they consolidate, just to cut down on how silly these shenanigans are.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
So I'm looking at an Auric Champions list and what's Valerian's problem? Is he just too cool to wear a cape? Get with the program, man.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Regular guardians don't wear drapery either

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Val's not a captain?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Herbert was absolutely a homophobe, moreso than average for his period, but I think he’s still light years better than Lovecraft, whose bigotry was basically the core of his personality until shortly before he died. Herbert being weird about sex is also par for the course for mid 20th century sci fi authors. By that standard he was almost a prude.

Yeah it doesn't really come up much in Dune besides a few parts here or there like the Baron being an evil bisexual or Duncan not understanding lesbians

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Not-Workshop but Crocodile Games has a few birdmans factions in the Wargods of Aegyptus line. There are good hawk and stork-dudes, then there are evil vulture-guys. Chris Fitzpatrick sculpted for Citadel for a while so they don't quite match the modern aesthetic but they have a Middlehammer look that shouldn't look too wildly out of place.

Thank you, I think this might work.

The Demilich posted:

Corvus Cabal/Cypher Lords was my first thought, but they're more humans with bird ornamentation. Maybe they'd make good kitbash material though. The whole range is going the legends route so maybe it'll be cheap?

The only other bird-ish thing I found are Raptoryx models, but there's nothing Egyptian about them.

I like those Cypher Lords quite a lot actually - was looking for Warhammer katanas and stuff - but cheap they do not seem to be :(

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
What bit fluff goes over who and how woke up Guliman?

I was kind of intresting when I found out GW was bring back the primarchs and lost all interest when I found out about Primaris Space Marines. Also why is Guliman dating an Eldar warlock?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think he is supposed to come back at the end of The Gathering Storm novel trilogy?

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Gathering_Storm:_Rise_of_the_Primarch

Oh, it's a campaign thing?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah the story is told through the 3 campaign books, which you can find pdfs of all over the internet (they are out of print because they're campaign books not real books).

side_burned posted:

Also why is Guliman dating an Eldar warlock?

He's not, you're just reading too many memes.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Eej posted:

He's not, you're just reading too many memes.

Thank the Emperor.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

smug jeebus posted:

So I'm looking at an Auric Champions list and what's Valerian's problem? Is he just too cool to wear a cape? Get with the program, man.

I just finished painting a squad of Wardens led by Valerian, and I glued a cape on him.

You can use the cape in the Wardens box, although you'll have to file and greenstuff it a little bit.

I also lengthened their legs. I'm not a good hobbyist, but I think it went OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Eej posted:

Yeah the story is told through the 3 campaign books, which you can find pdfs of all over the internet (they are out of print because they're campaign books not real books).

Also in the Warhammer Vault if you are a WH+ subscriber for some reason.