Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Moghwyn palace. Shoot the big crow, then kill the albinaurics on the slope while you wait for the bird to fall off a ledge. Moghwyn’s spear is pretty good for this purpose (and between the marika seal and silver tear head, you can get +11 arcane to use it without really investing in it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Moghwyn palace. Shoot the big crow, then kill the albinaurics on the slope while you wait for the bird to fall off a ledge. Moghwyn’s spear is pretty good for this purpose (and between the marika seal and silver tear head, you can get +11 arcane to use it without really investing in it).

this is the tedious youtube guide for noobs strategy. if you have any integrity at all you will accumulate runes by playing the game normally. you can get well over 100k runes just from rune items in that area.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Didn’t ask. Thank u

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
wave of gold annihilates those passive, pathetic albinaurics

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
Albinauric farm works, regardless of how much of your integrity it takes. I do it occasionally, when there's nothing else to do.

Other ways to get souls: there's lots of cool fashion with abysmally low drop rates that accumulates plenty of runes when you get down to it: banished knight (unaltered!) armor, Prelate's set, Albinauric blue chainmail set, Haligtree knight set, and on and on. This is my main way of gaining runes. The haligtree grind nets half a million in no time.

My favorite way, however, is to go online. Sunbro with randos, help others defeat bosses, do some jollu cooperation. It's exciting, never boring like the grinding is, helps you git gud and you help others on the way. Aaaand it creates plenty of great stories

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

scary ghost dog posted:

this is the tedious youtube guide for noobs strategy. if you have any integrity at all you will accumulate runes by playing the game normally. you can get well over 100k runes just from rune items in that area.

I have good news for you: I did exactly that! (play the game normally, that is; I don't think I collected the 100K in rune items).

I did the respec and went back to fight Niall. Along with waiting for his jump attack, and getting better about dodging his melee attacks (not consistently, though), I put the Heavy infusion on the Great Stars, and used Sacred Blade to get ranged attacks in on Niall when I could. It took a couple tries, but eventually I beat him. I entered the Consecrated Snowfield and opened the portal to Miquella's Haligtree. I went through there and fought Loretta. She took several attempts to beat, but she wasn't as hard to deal with as Niall. Her magic attacks are easier to dodge, but I was trying to guard counter too much in my first few attempts to try and get staggers.

From there I descended to Elphael, and made it to the site of grace outside Malenia's boss arena. Elphael wasn't too hard, outside of a couple of annoying segments (dealing with that courtyard that's full of knights on one side, and the bug creatures guarding the Glovewort bell-bearing on the other was a pain). With both the Haligtree and Elphael, I have to go back, because there were some areas I didn't explore fully, and so I missed some items.

Next goal is to do the rest of the Volcano Manor quests and fight Rykard, see what other quests bits there are to complete, and then go fight the Fire Giant. It looks like the Fire Giant's weak to slash attacks, but the Bloodhound's Fang still seems to put out good damage despite the points I dropped from DEX. If it isn't, I could try and get the Nightrider's Glaive, since that does Slash damage and scale with STR (with S-tier scaling with the Heavy infusion at +20).

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Good luck with Fire Giant. Some advice. Just accept the camera as ‘yes this is what fighting a giant IRL would look and feel like’. Do not play slow and safe because a longer fight means more opportunities for the floaty fire orbs to force you into a mistake. The fight is about not loving up for a long time so paradoxically your best bet is to rush and shorten the duration of time and thus also the number of attacks you need to not gently caress up for.

His movements are primitive but well rooted in martial arts which means just by looking at his feet and leg movements you can tell what his body is doing and thus which attack is coming. So get close, stay close, keep your camera always pointed at the floaty fire orbs, and hack away.

Phase two just run fast A F with horse to his back and hack at his feet. Whenever he does something back off. Dont say on his side because then his side roll will kill you and also all of his stomachmouth moves will oneshot you there as well. So again just hack at his toes and don’t waste time playing things safe.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 13, 2024

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
fire giant has a stupid healthbar so youll be very glad to use a bleed weapon like bloodhound fang even if it doesnt seem to do much damage per hit

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

When should I stop dumping into arcane and what should I dump into after that

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

Arcane stat buildup soft cap at 45, that's usually a good place to stop.

Str/dex get soft caps at 60 too.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Or take str to 66 so it'll be 99 when you two hand.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

theres no point in leveling mind past 39, with radahn’s rune active that’s the exact amount a fully upgraded flask of cerulean tears refills. move the extra points to arcane. although if youre going past ng+7 i suggest specializing and getting two complimentary stats to 99

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

scary ghost dog posted:

theres no point in leveling mind past 39, with radahn’s rune active that’s the exact amount a fully upgraded flask of cerulean tears refills. move the extra points to arcane. although if youre going past ng+7 i suggest specializing and getting two complimentary stats to 99

You can get a bit more mind than the amount a flask refills since it's unlikely you'll be using a flask at only 0-4 fp left. Give yourself a bit of extra wiggle room to get the most out of every flask.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

War Wizard posted:

You can get a bit more mind than the amount a flask refills since it's unlikely you'll be using a flask at only 0-4 fp left. Give yourself a bit of extra wiggle room to get the most out of every flask.

theres a margin where you can cast a spell even if you dont have enough fp that reliably reduces you to zero. i aim for this margin and pretty much always use flasks at 0 fp

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I always go 99 mind because I like to roleplay as myself.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

99 mind, 0 intelligence

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Augus posted:

99 mind, 0 intelligence

Very big head (water on the brain)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Steve Yun posted:

Max Int, Max Dex, Moonveil the world in twain. Or just spam all the spells.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Oh we doing this.

Max endurance, int. Cold/magic scaling brick hammers. Oh you survived comet azur? Bonk!

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Steve Yun posted:

stat increases give diminishing returns after the soft caps thatyou've mostly reached. Little to no point getting past rl200. Your character has won the numbers game

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Goatson posted:

stat increases give diminishing returns after the soft caps thatyou've mostly reached. Little to no point getting past rl200. Your character has won the numbers game

youre only almost entirely wrong. the soft caps for all damage stats are 80, and they all keep scaling up to 99

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

To be fair there are usually different levels of soft cap and they're all different for each stat. Even graphics that attempt to sum them up usually require a few paragraphs of explanation.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

To be fair there are usually different levels of soft cap and they're all different for each stat. Even graphics that attempt to sum them up usually require a few paragraphs of explanation.

pretty straightforward

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 14, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm allergic to maths, how dare you

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Bisse posted:

Good luck with Fire Giant. Some advice. Just accept the camera as ‘yes this is what fighting a giant IRL would look and feel like’. Do not play slow and safe because a longer fight means more opportunities for the floaty fire orbs to force you into a mistake. The fight is about not loving up for a long time so paradoxically your best bet is to rush and shorten the duration of time and thus also the number of attacks you need to not gently caress up for.

His movements are primitive but well rooted in martial arts which means just by looking at his feet and leg movements you can tell what his body is doing and thus which attack is coming. So get close, stay close, keep your camera always pointed at the floaty fire orbs, and hack away.

Phase two just run fast A F with horse to his back and hack at his feet. Whenever he does something back off. Dont say on his side because then his side roll will kill you and also all of his stomachmouth moves will oneshot you there as well. So again just hack at his toes and don’t waste time playing things safe.

I'll remember that. Thanks.

Goatson posted:

My favorite way, however, is to go online. Sunbro with randos, help others defeat bosses, do some jollu cooperation. It's exciting, never boring like the grinding is, helps you git gud and you help others on the way. Aaaand it creates plenty of great stories

I'd like to do co-op, but because I'm playing the PS5 version, I'd need to renew my PSPlus sub. Last time I had it was when I got the PS5, because the bundle I got came with card for a year's time. At that time, though, I think it was still $60 for a year. The price has gone up, so I'd have to decide whether to do the monthly sub and cancel after a point, or just drop the $80 for a year's time.

Steve Yun posted:

I got curious about the stat soft-caps yesterday, and the FextraLife wiki page (don't know if there's a better wiki for Elden Ring out there, but if there is, please tell me) says that the soft-caps for INT/FTH are different when applied to Attack Rating and for Sorcery/Incantation Scaling.

For Attack Rating, INT/FTH goes 20/50/80. For Sorcery/Incantation Scaling, it goes 60/80.

Arcane has different soft-caps. For Attack Rating, it goes 20/60/80. For Status Scaling, it goes 40/45/60. There's also STR/DEX/ARC scaling for incantations, which is 30/45.

In all those cases, though, it says it's dependent on the weapon or skill.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 14, 2024

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

scary ghost dog posted:

pretty straightforward

It is!

..."almost entirely wrong". Mf, the chart is showing the exact thing that I said, why you doing this?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Goatson posted:

It is!

..."almost entirely wrong". Mf, the chart is showing the exact thing that I said, why you doing this?

the only thing you said that was correct was that stat increases give diminishing returns. peep that cumulative curve, it doesnt start to level out until 80

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Wow Godrick ended up really kicking my rear end for a while on Reforged, I didn't even know he had a combo finisher grab with the dragon arm before?? But do appreciate them retouching the numbers so you really have to learn the fight and can't crush through some bosses with superior stats and upgrades, does make the game feel new again in a way

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

the only thing you said that was correct was that stat increases give diminishing returns. peep that cumulative curve, it doesnt start to level out until 80

Yeah "diminishing returns" implies that there's an inverted curve, ie that each point gives less AR than the previous one. There are soft caps, or breakpoints, but the scaling between them is entirely linear. This is true for almost every damage stat (str and dex have actual curves between 10 and 40 iirc).

If you're at that high a level there's no reason not to take your main damage stats to 99.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Caelid is conceptually such an interesting place but it seems WAY overtuned compared to Liurnia. So hostile I hate even exploring it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's a shame Caelid doesn't have a proper dungeon.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

Caelid is conceptually such an interesting place but it seems WAY overtuned compared to Liurnia. So hostile I hate even exploring it.

Most of it is just slightly harder than Liurnia, but there is one section that is scaled to be tougher than Farum Azula, with not much delineation between them. It wouldn't be a good open world game if you didn't run the risk of accidentally stumbling into literally hell.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Spent the day doing questlines. I was originally going to just do Volcano Manor, but then I realized I still needed to do Sellen's questline. That one's a little confusing because of how she shows up on two different places on the map (the one you need to go to being the projection). I was worried that I maybe broke the quest by doing things out of order, but I got it resolved fine. The funny thing is how if you assist her at the end, she takes Rennala's spot in the center of the library, but upon immediately sititng down at the grace, Rennala comes back and Sellen turns into the sphere.

In doing Sellen's quest, I got the Prattling Pate "You're Beautiful" for Boc so he'd feel better, and in the process, I found Alexander sitting in a lava pool on the way, and I got the Jar Helm. I got Comet Azure and Stars of Ruin, and at that point, I only needed three other spells for the Legendary Sorceries trophy. Got Flame of the Fell God easily enough. Founding Rain of Stars was a bit annoying with how you have to navigateinvisible bridge, but easy enough. Then I "fought" Greyroll and bought Greyroll's Roarr and the trophy popped.

I did the invasions for Patches and Bernhal, and then I did the Volcano Manor Legacy Dungeon as part of Rya's quest. Then I did the last invasion and went to fight Rykard. The Rykard fight was annoying. Admittedly, It took me a bit to realize that the Serpent Hunter does ranged attacks with the regular R1 (I thought you only had the L2/Ash of War attack that could reach), but it took four or so tries before I beat it. After the second attempt, I retreated to Roundtable Hold to smith the Serpent Hunter up to +4 for some better damage. Some of my issues with that fight could have just been that I was tired, and couldn't get the dodge timings down right, but the second phase feels like it throws a lot of poo poo at you, because you've got the lava on the floor from when Rykard jumps, his swords swings, and those red ghost skulls that home in on you.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Caelid isn't a series of fights, it's a series of environmental hazards to be navigated around (unless you're farming cleanrot gear).

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I didn’t realize bloodhound fang was a noob build. Any other suggestions for a one-handed weapon? Bonus points if it has decent reach but is a bit quicker, since I find the fang to be a tad bit slow.

I have a strength build with a bunch of arcane (40?) and play with a shield.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

a primate posted:

I didn’t realize bloodhound fang was a noob build. Any other suggestions for a one-handed weapon? Bonus points if it has decent reach but is a bit quicker, since I find the fang to be a tad bit slow.

I have a strength build with a bunch of arcane (40?) and play with a shield.

i dont think bloodhound fang is a noob build, i think its one of the best weapons you can find as a new player in the first zone. curved greatswords have slow swings so it requires some guts to use well. if you enjoy playing with it, be proud, its badass. if youre looking for an upgrade i suggest the boss weapon you get from morgott halfway through the game, its a natural choice, but if you want a faster 1h weapon try the shortsword you get at the end of gaol cave in caelid

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 15, 2024

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
If you're doing a greatshield build and want some reach, the greatspears are fine choices for poking. The basic lance can be acquired in Limgrave atop a ruin somewhere iirc. But str+arcane would ideally fit with a certain boss weapon greatspear.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Ranni's Moon comboed into 2-3 Adula's Moonblade gets you big damage into a frost stagger, run away because she'll waterfowl.

At range chuck Star Showers at her. She dodges Stars of Ruin but is quite happy to face-tank Star Showers and with the debuffs it does good damage.

When the Moon and frost debuffs wear off do it again.

Phase two unload a full bar of Comet Azure after any Scarlet Aeonia dives, if you're quick you'll just have time to do another Moon into Moonblades stagger combo after she gets up and she'll be badly hurt. Dodge like a mfer and hope she Scarlet Aeonia's again since you get the massive punish.

For waterfowl you just need to stay at range, which is where you want to be anyway. Run directly away for the first 2 bursts and dodge straight into her for the last. If there's a way to dodge it from up close I couldn't figure it out.

Ya thanks good stuff, I am doing Ranni's quest right now, will get Malenia soon.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

The very concept of a noob build or weapon choice is a stupid one, at least as far as PvE goes. If you are having fun using your weapon of choice, who the gently caress cares what other people say about it. The important thing is to find a weapon (or several) with a moveset and/or art that is satisfying to use and makes you not get frustrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Any weapon that’s good and makes life easier is a noob weapon.