Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

redshirt posted:

Can you give yourself the Vulcan nerve pinch?

You can, but it's sinful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Powered Descent posted:

You can, but it's sinful.

It’s also way safer to do it with a partner. The risk if you do it to yourself is you can continue pinching yourself long after you’ve reached orgasm, and that poo poo will demyelinate your spinal cord if you do it for more than a few minutes, and unless you’re a Klingon, you only have one spinal cord.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Watching Discovery and there's a scene where Saru runs by in a full-on sprint and the camera is still and down low and it just cracks me up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder how many Klingons have killed themselves minutes before the second spinal cord kicks in?

It would have happened to Worf if his loved ones had followed his wishes promptly. When Beverly contacted the klingons about klingon biology they never mentioned it as a possibility.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PS. Beverly is the worst doctor in startreks. How do you not download a biology primer for every species on your ship before you need it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've honestly never liked her

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

PS. Beverly is the worst doctor in startreks. How do you not download a biology primer for every species on your ship before you need it.

Yeah I would be reading about alien biology if it were real just because it sounds interesting whether I was ever going to meet an alien or not, and it’s her job to know all about treating aliens and she seems frequently ignorant.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So if Klingons have a backup of everything, could you just take it all out and construct a second fully functional Worf? Could you use the method they used to kill Tuvix on Gowron and get two Gowron’s?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

A Klingon with only one set of organs is only half a Klingon!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

Do you want a doctor who knows about Klingon spines or do you want a doctor who solves mysteries, tapdances and shoots holes through people, think carefully here

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My gosh, is the EMH the best Trek doctor?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Like a symbiont for your dog so they become Porthos Bork and when they pass you get a new dog and transplant the symbiont to make Butler Bork and they remember you and know the same tricks?

Sitcom idea: a trill that bonded with a dog symbiont by mistake and must resist the urge to sniff butts and scratch with his leg
isn't that just post-Curzon Dax

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

redshirt posted:

My gosh, is the EMH the best Trek doctor?

A computer doctor with instant access to all known medical knowledge and techniques would be the best doctor, yes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I've honestly never liked her

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

galagazombie posted:

So if Klingons have a backup of everything, could you just take it all out and construct a second fully functional Worf? Could you use the method they used to kill Tuvix on Gowron and get two Gowron’s?

They probably die real easy. Easier than someone who grew up with half as many organs as a Klingon. A klingon gets stabbed in the liver and walks it off (because he has two livers so the other one can take over while he heals). He won't be able to do that as half a klingon.

I'd worry that their organs might also be smaller and weaker than average. They are big, but not much bigger than humans, vulcans, andorians, etc. So they are fitting 4 kidneys, two hearts, two livers, etc., into a body cavity that isn't twice as big. That has to mean smaller organs, right? A klingon may be able to survive with one puny heart, but he's not going to be healthy.

naem
May 29, 2011

Klingons are like hybrid cars with both an electric and an internal combustion butthole

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
If the Ocampa/Kess (not sure if Kess was an exceptional Ocampa or just one allowed to expand her mental powers) had the best mental training (i.e. more than just Tuvok), what "level" would they be at?
Caretaker?
Kevin Oxbridge?
Q?

One of the random "gods/energy beings" from TOS?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

They would be inconveniently powerful, that’s why the writers all make them die off before they even need braces.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it was all ocampa, and i think they would've been somewhere just below q-level. they didn't seem to rewrite reality entirely, but they could control matter and time travel, and supposedly would discard material existence entirely to move to an energy plane. i think it's kind of one of the intended ironies of the caretaker loving up the prime directive by meddling, because they explicitly tie the dormancy of their powers to his stewardship in the same way republicans think that welfare makes people lazy.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Facebook Aunt posted:

I’m pretty sure she’s more familiar with the loving ROBOT than with worf

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bev's a terrible doctor and a fun character. well, on the rare occasions she gets to do anything at all.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Star Trek Doctors, ranked:
Pulaski
Bones
EMH
Crusher
M'Benga

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redshirt posted:

Pulaski
Bones
EMH
Crusher
M'Benga

Pulaski was great, but she probably needs to be put down from any list for being so stupid about infectious diseases in that one episode.

That episode really did her character bad.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

redshirt posted:

Pulaski
Bones
Phlox
EMH
Crusher
M'Benga

ftfy

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Phlox and EMH were the best doctors

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Phlox would be my first choice

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I forgot Phlox, but then, I've blocked out most of Enterprise.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Phlox was creepy imo

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

i would decline his suggestions that it’s fine if i gently caress his wife but he knows what he’s talking about when it comes to medicine

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

redshirt posted:

BASHIR
Pulaski
Bones
EMH
Crusher
M'Benga

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

punishedkissinger posted:

Phlox was creepy imo

Same here, he gives serial killer vibes

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yeah if I wanted to date the doctor while undergoing total lung transfer.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Bashir is there when you need someone to wipe a brain or two. He can also hook you up with biomimetic gel if you ask him three times.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Same here, he gives serial killer vibes

Maybe serial killers give off brilliant doctor vibes, you ever think of that?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

EMH best doctor

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

punishedkissinger posted:

Phlox was creepy imo

Racism....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Phlox as your gynecologist....

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

A lot of the doctors are undercut by the writers having really dumb ideas about medical ethics like when Phlox dooms that one race to die or whatever because that's the natural course of evolution or some dumb poo poo as if evolution is conscious and has some plan and always makes deliberate decisions instead of the reality where species often evolve in insanely dumb ways because of some niche environmental circumstances.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

A lot of the doctors are undercut by the writers having really dumb ideas about medical ethics like when Phlox dooms that one race to die or whatever because that's the natural course of evolution or some dumb poo poo as if evolution is conscious and has some plan and always makes deliberate decisions instead of the reality where species often evolve in insanely dumb ways because of some niche environmental circumstances.

I just think he didn't want to save the slavers, and the evolution thing was just his bullshitting Archer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Be honest: Would you rather Pulaski give you a full body check up, or an alien like Phlox?