Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

What happened to "experiencing the art the way the creator intended"? :smug: Checkmate, gamers, or libs, or chuds, or uh ..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its a confusion on what the enjoyment of media is and how vocal diehard fans want to brag to each other how much more clever than each other for figuring it out first/this "puzzle" isn't hard enough.

Its an easy trap to fall into, especially since your other fans wont discuss it much.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I think fans generally like something more when they figure out stuff in advance, rather than doing it to own the showrunners or whatever.

It's also making good TV for things to happen that made sense and were foreshadowed if you're observant and invested. A big twist isn't good and a twist because it's bozo clown nonsense nobody could see coming. Yeah, maybe sometimes that's fun for people too as a cheap trick if you've got nothing else going on like a sequel to the first star wars, but in general a twist should make sense if you connect enough little details and threads or unresolved conflicting narratives.

And for everyone person who figured out a thing there are still going to be ten times more people who didn't get and many of them wouldn't even if it were spelled out for them. Plenty of folks don't care to think that much about anything they watch and bless em for it. Little bit of media literacy goes a long way in noticing poo poo you might've never cared about otherwise or before.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Dark Souls 2? More like Dark Souls Too Long!!!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

2 Dark 2 Furious

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dark Souls 2: Dark Soulser

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

*rocks back and forth in chair, glances off towards the horizon* I remember that day, so long ago, when I turned the dial off for the last time. 'twas the airing of the 13th episode of breaking bad, and it was a good one I reckon, but as the sun set on that day, so too did my desire to ever watch the teevee again.

the BCS finale was the last episode of anything i watched on an honest-to-god teevee and i dunno if i'll ever pick the habit up again

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Same

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Y'all ain't got Plex?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Khanstant posted:

It's also making good TV for things to happen that made sense and were foreshadowed if you're observant and invested. A big twist isn't good and a twist because it's bozo clown nonsense nobody could see coming. Yeah, maybe sometimes that's fun for people too as a cheap trick if you've got nothing else going on like a sequel to the first star wars, but in general a twist should make sense if you connect enough little details and threads or unresolved conflicting narratives.

And for everyone person who figured out a thing there are still going to be ten times more people who didn't get and many of them wouldn't even if it were spelled out for them. Plenty of folks don't care to think that much about anything they watch and bless em for it. Little bit of media literacy goes a long way in noticing poo poo you might've never cared about otherwise or before.

The best twists are the ones where either you figure it out just before the reveal, or when the reveal happens a lot of things suddenly make more sense.

One of the finest twists in film is the end of Sixth Sense, but it would be a whole lot weaker if it wasnt for the ways it was seeded throughout the film.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I misread it as the last thing you watched that was honest to god TV.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

I misread it as the last thing you watched that was honest to god TV.

frankly still applicable

that show got loving robbed at the emmys, especially rhea seehorn

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I beat that loving watchdog

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

frankly still applicable

That's for sure. gently caress Succession for pulling off that sweep.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

And now I just beat the defiled chalice. I'm coming for you queen yharnum you big loving nerd

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
mafia 3 is a stultifying c-plus of a game but i can't put it down. guess i was overdue for another open world crime-em-up

spacing out the DLC episodes helped, since they're way more varied than the main missions

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I spent the pm making a bunch of Elden ring guys becuz I can’t decide what I want to tackle the dlc with

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
just sawa draculer thrown out a window in a show and they used the same sound effect as when a farm or building gets destroyed in warcraft 2

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a lot of western like, Posting About Art is in a deeply antagonistic relationship with the art and its creators. like its something to be overcome. that bleeds into mystery box type writing

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waffleman_ posted:

Y'all ain't got Plex?
It's not about the ability to watch rather than the desire to

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Should I just play Fallout 4? I never actually did because of all the negative reactions at the time.

Or is there another game that's not Fallout but would scratch the Fallout-type itch?

(I have played New Vegas and its expansions multiple times at this point and I don't feel like going back would really be worthwhile lol)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

a lot of western like, Posting About Art is in a deeply antagonistic relationship with the art and its creators. like its something to be overcome. that bleeds into mystery box type writing

it's either "curtains are blue because blue" anti-analysis or red-string corkboard stuff where the story needs to be unraveled, dissected and outsmarted, without much in between

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Endorph posted:

I will defeat the art and the artist. I will crush it easily

gently caress I fell off another cliff, hold on. Goddamnit

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What do non-western posters post about?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

goku

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

did someone say "goku"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Should I just play Fallout 4? I never actually did because of all the negative reactions at the time.

Or is there another game that's not Fallout but would scratch the Fallout-type itch?

(I have played New Vegas and its expansions multiple times at this point and I don't feel like going back would really be worthwhile lol)

Yeah. It's not a bad game imo, despite all the typical Bethesda problems which can make it quite frustrating. I especially enjoyed the survival mode (which among other things disables fast travel and saving anywhere), but I know that's not for everyone.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

Vtubers

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's merely fine and if you go in with that expectation then you'll have a good time of it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Santorini and curry

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I did it. I beat Queen Yharnum and got the trophy. Just one left and I'll have platinumed bloodborne.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vermain posted:

frankly still applicable

She never won... :negative:

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Go for it. It's probably the only Bethesda game I *might* recommend to someone. Just expect the usual Bethesda jank, weak Bethesda writing, Bethesda mediocrity, etc.
If that sort of thing doesn't bother you, it's a good time.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Depends what you like about the series.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Kenshi, Mad Max, and No Man's Sky might all fit the bill depending on how you view the series / what you like about them.

But the real answer is Wasteland 2 & 3. (Fallout and Wasteland have always semi-secretly been the same series, but Brian Fargo never owned both IPs at the same time.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Dying Light 1 or Death Stranding, maybe

totempoleman
Jan 20, 2005

Make a jazz note here.
Spent a lot of the weekend playing "Yellow Taxi Goes Vroom" on my steam deck. Had a lot of fun with that silly, silly game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1098610/Crush_the_Industry/

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs

shut the gently caress up lmao

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

loving sick. Toriyama made cool poo poo literally right up until the end.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't like sand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Who does