Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

So, she's ... going with the professor?

Krazy Kat(January 5, 1919)

Bars in this era would often offer a free lunch with the purchase of at least one drink.
See also: The opening of Baron Bean.

Gasoline Alley(November 30, 1919)

Little Nemo(May 24, 1908)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

oh man i'd totally forgotten about sneaking spoons of dry chocolate powder. what a memory unlock.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Poil posted:

Casually elbow showing a child to the concrete ground, keep on walking.

lol who just does that? Just bump into someone hard enough to knock them into the ground and not even stop? Ah Wilbur, you piece of poo poo.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Wilbur's gotta get home and post in PYF.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 13, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

For Better or For Worse

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's great how Fria's got that Prince Valiant energy and wouldn't hesitate to ice these fools loving around with her kingdom.

Vox Valentine posted:

sorry I spent all day yesterday stuck in my house playing online crafting/building games with friends, it's been a whole thing, so gird your drat loins 'cuz I'm posting all of it

Seeing this arc in a batch makes it look like some kind of cult indoctrination. The constant "correction" to her behavior, constantly telling her this guy she sees as food is such a perfect guy, casually hacking the government database to come up with a whole new identity for her. Or how they're not even asking gopher guy for his opinion on whether he even wants to be around this predator, or how they keep risking his life as a distraction when the skin poachers could kill him for getting in their way. It's so goddamn creepy.

davidspackage posted:

lol who just does that? Just bump into someone hard enough to knock them into the ground and not even stop? Ah Wilbur, you piece of poo poo.

It's extra funny considering that part of why he's moping is because his kid left him alone, and now Wilbur doesn't even show an iota of concern for an actual child. If you just changed the details a little so that the child was on the other side of Wilbur, that would would have totally been sent the kid flying toward the car for a Rex Morgan Special. And Wilbur still wouldn't even think to look back lmao.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FINGERPORI

In the original the phrase used was "poistuvia tuotteita", which literally means "products that are leaving" or "products that leave". But I think this works too. Kinda.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

Buzz Aldrin actually did this, kind of :v:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/aug/03/buzz-aldrin-travel-expenses-moon-apollo-11

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

FINGERPORI

In the original the phrase used was "poistuvia tuotteita", which literally means "products that are leaving" or "products that leave". But I think this works too. Kinda.

"ALL MUST GO" is idiomatic English and works for the joke.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 30, 1962)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Slap an asterisk on both of those facts; they depend on exactly how you define things like "tallest" and "planet".

Flash Gordon

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Breadi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/14/04

Brenda Starr 1/8-10/53

Smokey Stover 12/11/60

Everyday Movies 6/9/37

"I don't believe in starting at the top, Duke. My father always said start at the bottom."

Uggy Blitz 7/8-10/43

Closer Than We Think! 12/11/60

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 15, 2024

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 12/11/60

Well, they don't have spider legs, but organizations like NOAA do use submersible remote operated vehicles to study the ocean floor.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Of course the gorilla would just take Scarlet for a ride on a roller coaster!

Because it's an Invisible Scarlet story and you never know what happens next! Life is a roller coaster!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what went on in the head of the dude who did Scarlet. It is hilariously awesome, but sometimes it feel like he sat with a dart at a wall-size dictionary and just chucked it.

"So we got....gorilla...hat....and World War 2. New storyline coming up!"

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(6/17/1994)

(6/18/1994)

Ziggy

(11/19/1971)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

amigolupus posted:

It's great how Fria's got that Prince Valiant energy and wouldn't hesitate to ice these fools loving around with her kingdom.

Seeing this arc in a batch makes it look like some kind of cult indoctrination. The constant "correction" to her behavior, constantly telling her this guy she sees as food is such a perfect guy, casually hacking the government database to come up with a whole new identity for her. Or how they're not even asking gopher guy for his opinion on whether he even wants to be around this predator, or how they keep risking his life as a distraction when the skin poachers could kill him for getting in their way. It's so goddamn creepy.

It's extra funny considering that part of why he's moping is because his kid left him alone, and now Wilbur doesn't even show an iota of concern for an actual child. If you just changed the details a little so that the child was on the other side of Wilbur, that would would have totally been sent the kid flying toward the car for a Rex Morgan Special. And Wilbur still wouldn't even think to look back lmao.

Meant to post this yesterday. From someone in the Comics Curmudgeon comments section:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
busy weekend here's your ketchup

Cul de Sac

Dammit, Dill, you screwed up pretty big this time.

FoxTrot Classix WARNING: Extremely 2003

Rose is Rose WARNING: Extremely twee

quote:

Tomorrow: The Graphic Decapitation of Ping Bong

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 15, 2024

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oooo, Karaoke!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

JethroMcB posted:

busy weekend here's your ketchup

Cul de Sac

Dammit, Dill, you screwed up pretty big this time.

lol

I totally remember the lunacy of the antifrench days.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 15, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

BONUS FINGERPORIS

Ski jumping is one of those sports we as a nation are just hopelessly addicted to. It doesn't hurt that we've traditionally had some excellent jumpers, although don't ask what happened to them afterwards because their lives took some ~turns~.

But it makes sense that Jarla has also tackled the sport.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

JethroMcB posted:

I remember reading this one in the paper and thinking to myself "of COURSE it would be Paige or Peter to bang that stupid drum. Hopefully this doesn't become a thing". Luckily it didn't last

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

JethroMcB posted:

Rose is Rose WARNING: Extremely twee

The most baffling part of this to me is the product placement name drop for a fake cereal. It's not a joke like Calvin's Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs, he's just saying the full brand and name for no reason.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Hippocrass posted:

So, she's ... going with the professor?

I think she's just likening Marla's proposition to the creepy professor's.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Uggggggggh.

Everything old is new again, though. With certain international events of the past six months it has felt, at times, like I time warped back to 2002 with some rhetoric out there.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

"Well I could give you the responsibilities, benefits and pay of the job since somebody covering for me even two days a week is an enormous relief but it wouldn't be a retail store if we didn't use salaried positions to pay you less than the stockers per hour across 60-80 hour work weeks. :v:"

Retail is a good pain.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 17, 1936)

Peanuts (April 18, 1977)

Cranky Shafterbean

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 18, 1940)

Out Our Way (June 19-21, 1944)

Abner will be back tomorrow-ish. Unless that doppelganger is a crack shot.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 2-6, 2006)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

I was really tempted to stop posting Alley Oop (again) with that last strip but it looks like they might be doing a time loop thing and I'm a sucker for time loop things

Curtis

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Do white collar jobs in the US not deduct state and federal income taxes from your paycheques so you don't have to pay all your taxes in one go in April? Because even the shittiest labour jobs I had as a teenager in Canada did that.

Because it sounds like all these dads in tax-related comic strips are just loving stupid when it comes to finances.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kazinsal posted:

Do white collar jobs in the US not deduct state and federal income taxes from your paycheques so you don't have to pay all your taxes in one go in April? Because even the shittiest labour jobs I had as a teenager in Canada did that.

Because it sounds like all these dads in tax-related comic strips are just loving stupid when it comes to finances.

The way deductions are done now you need a loving tax pro if you own a house. It’s a loving nightmare compared to the way deductions were done a few years back. So while it’s a popular trope he could have hosed up his claimed withholdings and owe more. This would affect hourly people, those with one more jobs or salary people who earned bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Curtis's dad confirmed for "guy who undershoots his withholdings because it's 'giving the government an interest-free loan,' owes a giant tax bill because he didn't have adequate withholding, and gets angry about the completely predictable results of his actions"