Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

carcinofuck posted:

flight to Najaf delayed but it looks like airspaces have all reopened

death to israel

very cool

is the use of گ in the top picture an iraqi dialect thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

Comrade Koba posted:

very cool

it's Urdu - I'm in Pakistan
says: Death with dignity is better than humiliation

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Comrade Koba posted:

very cool

no those are urdu i wonder of the pictures were taken in pakistan or somone in iraq wrote them out in urdu

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Iraqis do use گ instead of ق in formal arabic and also in written media. Arabic does have ج for it but i think specifically levantine and iraqi arabic uses ق/گ instead.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Fizzil posted:

Iraqis do use گ instead of ق in formal arabic and also in written media. Arabic does have ج for it but i think specifically levantine and iraqi arabic uses ق/گ instead.

lol what really?

the only times i have seen people used ك instead of ق or ج in written form is when its local accents or for old timey writings and phrases or for burrowed words from turkish.

for example, before 1950 or so, 'the english' was 'الانكليز' instead of todays 'الانجليز'

maybe im just too saudi and out of touch i dunno also i barely read as is.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 11:29 on Apr 15, 2024

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

also the arabic word for Hole is 'Huf-ra' - 'حفرة'

:viggo:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol it really is official that all the drones and missiles were shot down 100%, just don’t believe your lying eyes i guess?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

one of the biggest laughs ive had while playing videogames was when i was playing some dumb american propaganda game from 2003 where youre an american soldier escaping iraqi captivity but all the iraqi troops were speaking in egyptian accents.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Wow. Looks like a field in Pennsylvania iygmm :newlol:

cummunism420
Apr 21, 2022
are any of you cops bc some friends and I may have done something to a Starbucks for April 15 global day of action

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

cummunism420 posted:

are any of you cops bc some friends and I may have done something to a Starbucks for April 15 global day of action

theres no need to doxx youself and admit to a crime

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

carcinofuck posted:

it's Urdu - I'm in Pakistan
says: Death with dignity is better than humiliation

lol sorry, got you mixed up with someone who was (i think) posting from iraq.

Fizzil posted:

knew i'd heard about it somewhere, thanks for clarifying!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I dug multiple holes yesterday.

AMA

cummunism420
Apr 21, 2022

Al-Saqr posted:

my name is Dogfucker Sisi and I live at 1312 Comprador Lane

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm just waiting for them to say how cool they think the mysterious stranger caught on camera executing the actual crime is

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

cummunism420 posted:

hmmm checks out

HazCat
May 4, 2009

cummunism420 posted:

This is a terrible joke :colbert:

After all, we all know Sisi is completely impotent :v:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Good Citizen posted:

like me and the boys will dig a hole at the beach and be like yeah thats a hole alright

Thinking of the opening scene of "The Master"

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

ismail Haniyyehs grandaughter has been martyred, she succumbed to the wounds she recieved when israel killed her father a few days ago when they bombed them in eid al fitr.

she joins the over 20,000 children murdered by israel

====

Another granddaughter of Ismail Haniyeh was killed by her injuries

The Ministry of Health in the Gaza Strip reported the martyrdom of the child Malak Haniyeh, the granddaughter of the head of the Political Bureau of the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) Ismail Haniyeh, affected by her injuries.

Thus, Malak joins her father and family members who were martyred last Wednesday on Eid al-Fitr in an Israeli raid targeting a vehicle they were in Gaza.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...31604;&%231609;

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

cummunism420 posted:

yeah you’re gonna want to avoid the bathroom for a while there

what my rear end did probably violated the geneva convention

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Al-Saqr posted:

one of the biggest laughs ive had while playing videogames was when i was playing some dumb american propaganda game from 2003 where youre an american soldier escaping iraqi captivity but all the iraqi troops were speaking in egyptian accents.

My favorite ones are when they forget Arabic is RTL you get backwards Arabic

and it keeps happening

Rigged Death Trap has issued a correction as of 12:20 on Apr 15, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

“Something remarkable happened yesterday. A sovereign state openly attacked Israel, destroyed some military assets with missile strikes, terrorized the Israeli citizens with drones and missiles, and suffered only from gnashing of teeth. Yes, the fat lady hasn't sung yet, but still... what other nation has dared to do same? Iraq supported the Palestinians and was attacked twice and its leader hung in a public square. Libya supported the Palestinians and it was attacked and its leader was sodomized and brutally murdered. Syria supported the Palestinians and it was attacked and nearly destroyed, saved only by Russian and Iranian intervention. Egypt attacked Israel and was defeated, its leader assassinated, and neutered by bribery. Lebanon supported the Palestinians, suffered a devastating civil war, and has since been subject to crippling political interference. Hezbollah survives but cannot control the state.

The Israelis have tried for decades to get the US to attack Iran, and even after this direct attack the US has refused to do so. Who do the Israelis fear? Iran. They will not attack without a guarantee of US military support. Iran has struck a US military base with missiles and captured and destroyed US military drones, and when asked if they would allow a token, face saving reprisal strike they refused.

I would guess that the strike on the Damascus consulate was not approved by the Americans and was an Israeli attempt to force the issue and gain US acquiescence for a military adventure. So far no dice.

Now it will be more difficult for Ukraine to receive funding and military equipment, especially critical AD supplies.

Israel has been shown to be vulnerable and incapable of retaliation without allied support. It can't even defeat Hamas without committing open genocide.

And the Yemenis remain unbowed as well.

Quite a day.”

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/LKTranslator/status/1779615506665726127

quote:

Israel, the world’s most innocent country, fell victim to a horrific attack from Iran with zero reported casualties on the same day Israel killed dozens of civilians in Gaza.

Israel had been minding its own business, quietly bombing hospitals, schools, universities, mosques, and an embassy, when the Iranian regime launched their outrageous attack for no apparent reason. Thankfully, the US and UK scrambled jets to defend Israeli airspace because it’s wrong to bomb countries in the Middle East, unless your name is Israel, in which case you can do all the bombing you want.

Every British and American ship in the region is now in grave danger and the risk of terror attacks on our soil has surely increased, but you will be relieved to know our countries have not benefitted in any way from our intervention. Personally, I can’t think of a better way for Israel to spend our tax money.

Our leaders have condemned Iran in the strongest possible terms, which is confusing because I thought we were supposed to remain ambiguous and say we’re investigating the matter when such an attack occurs. Perhaps this is one of those rules that only applies to Israel though.

When informed of the attack, a calm and rational Suella Braverman screamed: “WAR! I WANT WAR!” and when she’d stopped hyperventilating, she added: “This must be the end of western backsliding on Israel,” because she thinks we have not been sufficiently supportive of their genocide. Anyone who is not on the same side of the argument as Suella Braverman must ask serious questions about themselves.

Iran’s unprovoked attack involved giving Israel adequate warning and launching 30-year-old missiles, 99% of which were intercepted, and then saying the matter is closed unless Israel escalates further. The fact Iran would consider retaliating to further escalation from Israel shows just extreme these lunatics are.

Among Iran’s targets was the Israeli air base from which the missiles that struck its embassy were launched, killing 13 on April 1. As of yet, we have no indication as to why Iran carried out the attack, but we’re going to tell you it’s because they want to start World War III. Psychos.

Conspiracy theorists have suggested it’s actually Benjamin Netanyahu who wants escalation, but it’s unclear why the man who faces political oblivion, and possibly jail, would be incentivised to draw his allies into the fight and cause everyone to forget his many war crimes.

Israel, the country that definitely does not want war, has vowed an “unprecedented” response against Iran which will probably kill many more than zero people. If Iran expresses disapproval at Israel’s next mass murder, it’s because they’re trying to destabilise the region. At this point, we’ll have no choice but to help Israel do to Iran what we’ve spent six months helping them do to Gaza - launch precision strikes that destroy 70% of the buildings in the country and leave survivors living in tents.

Worryingly, we’ve just discovered at the most convenient moment that Iran has enough uranium to build 12 nuclear bombs. If it were true that Iran had so much weapon-grade uranium, it would be incredibly stupid to attack them, but we’re going to insist we must attack them because we’re weapon-grade idiots - and we think you are too.

Please just switch your brain off and accept what you’re being told, you simpletons! What matters is rich people can afford nuclear bunkers if this all goes horribly wrong. In the meantime, you can look forward to lots of exciting stories in the media about bringing back conscription and describing how you are likely to die in humanity's final war. Are you looking forward to radiation sickness and nuclear winter? Because they sound like brilliant fun!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

“Something remarkable happened yesterday. A sovereign state openly attacked Israel, destroyed some military assets with missile strikes, terrorized the Israeli citizens with drones and missiles, and suffered only from gnashing of teeth. Yes, the fat lady hasn't sung yet, but still... what other nation has dared to do same? Iraq supported the Palestinians and was attacked twice and its leader hung in a public square. Libya supported the Palestinians and it was attacked and its leader was sodomized and brutally murdered. Syria supported the Palestinians and it was attacked and nearly destroyed, saved only by Russian and Iranian intervention. Egypt attacked Israel and was defeated, its leader assassinated, and neutered by bribery. Lebanon supported the Palestinians, suffered a devastating civil war, and has since been subject to crippling political interference. Hezbollah survives but cannot control the state.

The Israelis have tried for decades to get the US to attack Iran, and even after this direct attack the US has refused to do so. Who do the Israelis fear? Iran. They will not attack without a guarantee of US military support. Iran has struck a US military base with missiles and captured and destroyed US military drones, and when asked if they would allow a token, face saving reprisal strike they refused.

I would guess that the strike on the Damascus consulate was not approved by the Americans and was an Israeli attempt to force the issue and gain US acquiescence for a military adventure. So far no dice.

Now it will be more difficult for Ukraine to receive funding and military equipment, especially critical AD supplies.

Israel has been shown to be vulnerable and incapable of retaliation without allied support. It can't even defeat Hamas without committing open genocide.

And the Yemenis remain unbowed as well.

Quite a day.”

who's this idiot who's trying to make it look like supporting the Palestinians was what led to those countries situations.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Disobeying the American empire is what led to those countries situations, supporting Palestinians is just synecdoche.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I call on the idiot kings to correct the thread title, "Israel reveals alleged hole"

Hammerstein posted:

You see, the Germans have this thing where they say "Die Sicherheit Israels ist deutsche Staatsräson", "Israel's security is German reason of state".

==========

I live in that small, racist, backwater country south of Germany.

That is just pablum they are using to justify Germany's true Staatrason, service to capital.

===========

Like there's only one

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Al-Saqr posted:

who's this idiot who's trying to make it look like supporting the Palestinians was what led to those countries situations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

wait Saddam hussein wasnt hanged in public his trial wasnt even broadcasted with sound to the public.

does this idiot think the statue was literally saddam hussein?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

5/5 Pinocchios

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Weka posted:

I call on the idiot kings to correct the thread title, "Israel reveals alleged hole"

israel posts hole on main

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

x-posting

I don't know what we're supposed to think of Maximus, because they use the language of knighthood, and the questing knight, but rather than having a complex relationship with knightly virtue and chastity, like say Lancelot, who is unable to attain the Grail because of his relationship with Elaine, Maximus doesn't know what erections and ejaculation are? We see someone beating off in one of the first shots of the (coed) barracks too. His best friend is a woman. How does Maximus interact with sex and the World (with a capital "W"?)

It could be an in-universe thing, where even the Brotherhood is confused about the meaning of knighthood and chivalry, appropriating them as an aesthetic to provide belief and belonging, a superficial implementation that lacks cohesive force as an ideology, but we see them practice complex rituals, anointment, use of censers, and progression from, novitiate, aspirant, square, to knighthood.

Well, obviously, even among the chaste members of the militaris ordo, people were very much aware of sex, because there's no virtue in chastity if it comes from ignorance rather than innocence. More practically, for a society to reproduce it literally needs to reproduce. Among military orders, and among the SJs, OPs, etc. there was, and is, a mix of ordained and unordained, consecrated and lay. In Jesuit missions, the majority of people were members of the laity, who may or may not have been celibate. More to the point, raising animals for sustenance, one very quickly learns about the birds and the bees.

This is neither here nor there. Is Maximus virtuous? Or even neutral?

In T.H. White, we see the gradation between knights "of the world", knights who are virtuous, and that the one knight who is truly pure in his chastity, appears, and is, inhuman as a result:

Maximus is no Galahad, it's safe to say. I don't know what we're supposed to make of him, since his characterization, in my opinion, is all over the place.

I will say, the casting of Michael Rapaport as the Unworthy Knight, even if it was not based on study of the conventions of chanson de geste or roman de chevalerie was perfect. Not because I think he was acting well, but because, from what we have learned since October 7, he was not.

this might be iguana-on-a-stickposting or me just missing the joke, but the brotherhood of steel started out as a regular us military unit that went rogue and basically are cargo culting all the knighthood and paladinery stuff real hard

Al-Saqr posted:

i dunno, my read on that is that it's more of an arab state trying to have an independent foreign policy what lead to those countries situation, which seems a little oversimplified but generally fair

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
though arab country trying to have an independent foreign policy and arab country being anti-israel do have a p strong correlation

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

hadji murad posted:

there’s a hole in my heart that can only be filled by Iran

Iran hearted

Sam, this is Iran-Heartman. Do you want to see Iran-Heartman's Iran-shaped heart?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

sucki cuckrabia following americas line like theyre not an arab or muslim country

=====

Saudi Foreign Minister: We support efforts to establish a truce in Gaza

Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan:

We support the need to seek a sustainable truce leading to the ceasefire in the Gaza Strip and the lifting of the blockade from it.

We stress the importance of continuing efforts to bring peace and stability to the region.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...31604;&%231609;

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Hammerstein posted:

I live in that small, racist, backwater country south of Germany.

The best part about this statement is that it can refer to 3 different countries.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Cerebral Bore posted:

this might be iguana-on-a-stickposting or me just missing the joke, but the brotherhood of steel started out as a regular us military unit that went rogue and basically are cargo culting all the knighthood and paladinery stuff real hard

Per Newbolt, knighthood is transcendental. You can learn it the barracks room or on the cricket field. It makes the unworthy worthy. You can begin as a cargo cult, or worse, American, but still become a true knight through purgation, as Tennyson said,

Thereafter, the dark warning of our King,
That most of us would follow wandering fires,
Came like a driving gloom across my mind.
Then every evil word I had spoken once,
And every evil thought I had thought of old,
And every evil deed I ever did,
Awoke and cried, "This Quest is not for thee."
And lifting up mine eyes, I found myself
Alone, and in a land of sand and thorns,
And I was thirsty even unto death;
And I, too, cried, "This Quest is not for thee."

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
'the backwaters' is the official German designation for the rest of the EU

they hide those maps when the french diplomats are around

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Al-Saqr posted:

wait Saddam hussein wasnt hanged in public his trial wasnt even broadcasted with sound to the public.

does this idiot think the statue was literally saddam hussein?

video of his hanging was public I thought? Or it got leaked fairly quickly. I remember goons immediately made saddampoline.gif out of.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Per Newbolt, knighthood is transcendental. You can learn it the barracks room or on the cricket field. It makes the unworthy worthy. You can begin as a cargo cult, or worse, American, but still become a true knight through purgation, as Tennyson said,

Thereafter, the dark warning of our King,
That most of us would follow wandering fires,
Came like a driving gloom across my mind.
Then every evil word I had spoken once,
And every evil thought I had thought of old,
And every evil deed I ever did,
Awoke and cried, "This Quest is not for thee."
And lifting up mine eyes, I found myself
Alone, and in a land of sand and thorns,
And I was thirsty even unto death;
And I, too, cried, "This Quest is not for thee."

Well there you have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I really hope that the USA doesn’t look at Irans recent successes and decides that the inter ballistic missile treaties just aren’t working for them anymore