Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Using good weapons is an optional easy mode that From baked into the game. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What are the worst weapons

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

What are the worst weapons

ivory sickle, cane sword, eclipse shotel, varre's bouquet, all the whips that don't have decent WAs

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
The basic flail, clinging bone.

I'd argue the whips have their niche, but they are lacking for AoWs.

Edit: oh and the full moon crossbow. Crossbows are already a ranged attack of last resort, I don't know why anyone would feel the need to do split damage with it.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 15, 2024

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Winged Greathorn has bad damage, bad range, stupidly high stat requirements, and a bad weapon art.
The only notable upside to the Harp Bow is that it makes a neat sound when fired; it has low damage even by shortbow standards, and you can't put a better ash on it. If you could, it would make a nice sidearm-style weapon with its low weight and requirements.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Shame about the winged great horn cause it’s an A+ in looking badass

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
Torches are so bad people don't even consider them as weapons

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018
Man, having taken two characters up to the Mountaintops of the Giants in quick succession (one on hold, the second I intend to make my first DLC character) and it's really highlighted how rough that scaling increase is. It's so weird because the general path up until then scales so smoothly with very few, if any, hiccups (except for Northern Caelid). It's really the damage they deal to you I find overtuned - I don't have an issue with my own output, but suffering a few hits is so incredibly punishing when only 3 or 4 kill you. I'm a pretty confident player and have had my Vig at 40 for ages with no issues, but I think I might need to pump it more just to avoid frustration (my first character I finished the game with did end up at 60 Vig as per the standard advice).

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Goatson posted:

Torches are so bad people don't even consider them as weapons

The one torch that lets you spew fire over AoE is pretty good

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
st trinas torch trivializes godskin fights

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Has anyone tried torchpole? Seems like it could be fun

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

War Wizard posted:

The basic flail, clinging bone.

I'd argue the whips have their niche, but they are lacking for AoWs.

Edit: oh and the full moon crossbow. Crossbows are already a ranged attack of last resort, I don't know why anyone would feel the need to do split damage with it.

full moon crossbow can actually hit quite hard for 0 fp when you're using the meteor bolts and loaded with magic buffs. i used it on one of my spellcasters and it's great for doing filler damage at range in between casts

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The Commander's Standard is really good once it's fully upgraded.
The biggest problem is the reach is really good, so switching to basically any other weapon makes you feel like your weapon's been cut in half.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

dlc hype... incomming...

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Yeah. I can’t say I care for anything past the capital in terms of raw gameplay. It feels like the hick dlc for Fallout 3 where gross mutants with knives were more damaging and resilient than the top of the line Enclave soldiers. Everything just chunks you, so there’s no point in fighting fair and engaging with the combat more than necessary.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's weird because something like Castle Sol still isn't easy and is still clearly scaled up, but it doesn't feel like a giant gently caress you in the same way the Zamor guys do.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

dlc hype... incomming...

are you manifesting or...

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just got to the Liturgical Town and the invisible black knife assassins in the Ever goal version of the town are insane. Even if I use the torch that reveals them all my hits barely inconvenience them and I'm using a fully upgraded weapon with high scaling on my highest skill.

the Fire Giant took less punishment than they do.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

are you manifesting or...

ya

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just got to the Liturgical Town and the invisible black knife assassins in the Ever goal version of the town are insane. Even if I use the torch that reveals them all my hits barely inconvenience them and I'm using a fully upgraded weapon with high scaling on my highest skill.

They are not that tough. What is the AR of your primary weapon?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Might be that I'm using the coded sword which is pure holy damage and they seem to be strong against that.

Maybe I'll try to whip out the Night and Fire sword next time.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I find that scythe is the easiest weapon to fight assassins with. It has some weird superarmor value that consistently powers through their dagger attacks, and it staggers/bleeds them a bunch. Faith scythe options are pretty unimpressive though I guess.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Picked the game back up after a hiatus because I got the urge to do some early-game co-op. Get summoned, get invaded, hit invader, hit doesn’t register, get hit by invader, take 60% of my HP in damage from that one hit and am 3/4 of the way to being frostbitten, run around for a while, die after like five minutes. Get summoned again, get invaded, get hit, take 60% of my HP in damage, land a hit, it doesn’t register, I die.

I out the game back down again.

EDIT: And what really sucks about it is that I can’t really blame the invaders for being super optimized and minmaxed to gently caress because the invasion system is set up in such a way that you literally always invade into a 2v1 or a 3v1, and obviously the host and summons are not going to try to give you a fair fight because you’re invading them. Plus, doing some research, all of the posts of people expressing frustration with this issue are filled with responses from invaders expressing frustration that they keep running into gank squad hosts that have super optimized builds and just wait for invaders to come by and get flattened. So I guess it sucks for them too. Unfortunately this results in a lot of toxicity in discussions surrounding this topic, because both sides (people who want to co-op in peace and people who like invading) feel like the deck is stacked against them and take umbrage when someone suggests they have an advantage.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 15, 2024

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ariong posted:

Picked the game back up after a hiatus because I got the urge to do some early-game co-op. Get summoned, get invaded, hit invader, hit doesn’t register, get hit by invader, take 60% of my HP in damage from that one hit and am 3/4 of the way to being frostbitten, run around for a while, die after like five minutes. Get summoned again, get invaded, get hit, take 60% of my HP in damage, land a hit, it doesn’t register, I die.

I out the game back down again.

You or the invader are connecting with a 56k from a different continent.

Multiplayer isn't the focus of this game, in my opinion. If you play to primarily coop or pvp, you're just going to be disappointed. Pvp memelords that do nothing but use the weapon of the week they saw from a youtube are going to continuously crush you under their boot. I just treat multiplayer as a fun diversion that happens on accident.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Node posted:

You or the invader are connecting with a 56k from a different continent.

Multiplayer isn't the focus of this game, in my opinion. If you play to primarily coop or pvp, you're just going to be disappointed. Pvp memelords that do nothing but use the weapon of the week they saw from a youtube are going to continuously crush you under their boot. I just treat multiplayer as a fun diversion that happens on accident.

Yeah this sort of response bothers me. A lot of times when people express frustration with this they get a response like “well it just isn’t a co-op game, you can’t expect a good co-op experience.” And I’m like.. why not? It could be. God didn’t send Moses down with a stone tablet dictating that Elden Ring co-op must be hampered by interruptions that can only be stopped by vanquishing the lovely netcode.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the netcode isnt that bad, if you got two bad connections in a row its probably you. wired or wifi?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

scary ghost dog posted:

the netcode isnt that bad, if you got two bad connections in a row its probably you. wired or wifi?

I’m on Wifi, 600 down/600 up. Is that not good enough?

In any case, I would maintain that a person who has an internet connection that is good enough for PvE not being able to enjoy PvE because they don’t have a good enough connection for PvP, which they have no interest in, is not good game design.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Didn't we go through this exact thing thing before a few week ago? And everyone told you that you have a bad connection then

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ariong posted:

Yeah this sort of response bothers me. A lot of times when people express frustration with this they get a response like “well it just isn’t a co-op game, you can’t expect a good co-op experience.” And I’m like.. why not? It could be. God didn’t send Moses down with a stone tablet dictating that Elden Ring co-op must be hampered by interruptions that can only be stopped by vanquishing the lovely netcode.

I'm not trying to be toxic here, its just the reality of peer to peer connections. Elden Ring does a great job with it, in most cases, but in the end, its still p2p. You're relying heavily that every single aspect of both of your networks working well.

If you play on PC, you can install the seamless coop mod. I don't think you can even get invaded on that mod either.

Is there a reason From Software hasn't used dedicated servers in any of their games, other than its cheaper to use peer to peer?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

FreudianSlippers posted:

You can clear all of that without any combat, as long as you don't mind one or two suicide runes. It helps to have the Jar Cannon or Hand Ballista to deal with some rooftop stuff, but you can avoid all the invisible black knife assassins except the one closest to where you start, which just sprint past them to light the fire and then die to them. The fires stay light even after you die.

Specifically run to the closest fire first and light it and die, then when you go back in, head around the side of the town (NE, I guess) and get up on the rooftops. the invisible guys don't climb ladders, so once you have elevation, you just have to worry about a few archers. Packing a couple explosive bolts should be enough to get rid of them.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

No Dignity posted:

Didn't we go through this exact thing thing before a few week ago? And everyone told you that you have a bad connection then

Yes, and since then I’ve upgraded my internet to literally the best plan available in my area. I was hoping to have a more enjoyable experience, and I didn’t, so I posted about it.

Node posted:

I'm not trying to be toxic here, its just the reality of peer to peer connections. Elden Ring does a great job with it, in most cases, but in the end, its still p2p. You're relying heavily that every single aspect of both of your networks working well.

If you play on PC, you can install the seamless coop mod. I don't think you can even get invaded on that mod either.

Is there a reason From Software hasn't used dedicated servers in any of their games, other than its cheaper to use peer to peer?

Can you put out your summon sign for anyone else to activate with that mod? Like at summoning pools?

EDIT: Oh and if so, what’s the population like? How long does it usually take to matchmake?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 15, 2024

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ariong posted:

I’m on Wifi, 600 down/600 up. Is that not good enough?

In any case, I would maintain that a person who has an internet connection that is good enough for PvE not being able to enjoy PvE because they don’t have a good enough connection for PvP, which they have no interest in, is not good game design.

no, thats a bad connection. get an ethernet cable and plug in and your problems will probably disappear

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Wifi can be pretty finicky for gaming. Perfect conditions it's comparable to wired but that's hard to achieve. Generally best to rely on a wired connection for gaming.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37BUPfZQ_EM

Interesting implications for what the endgame might've originally looked like.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

McCoy Pauley posted:

the invisible guys don't climb ladders, so once you have elevation, you just have to worry about a few archers. Packing a couple explosive bolts should be enough to get rid of them.
I just bought the invisibility art from volcano manor and put it on a random weapon, then used that when I got to the rooftops. Much easier to just run past everything.

Also practice the route outside of the evergaol before you go in.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I once connected to someone (in co-op) whose connection was so bad that their pve would freeze, then die, then come back to life and deal 700 damage to me from nowhere, then die again. I checked their account details after the session and their language was Russian :allears: That guy was hotspotting from some Russian Mac Donald’s Wi-Fi for sure.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I also seem to remember PVP freaks complaining all the time about phantom hits incrementing status buildup even if the move doesn't connect, so that's not necessarily a connection thing.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Ariong posted:

What kind of a response are you hoping for? The guys in the thread are just describing how it is. Yeah the P2P nature of it can suck a lot especially if one connection isn't great. Yeah, there's probably ways From could have done it better if it was a priority for them.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

I also seem to remember PVP freaks complaining all the time about phantom hits incrementing status buildup even if the move doesn't connect, so that's not necessarily a connection thing.

thats been in every souls game i think. its something to do with dodge iframes interacting with netcode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Ariong posted:

hit doesn’t register

Just on the off chance that this was part of the situation; Invaders have complete immunity for the first ~3 seconds after they spawn in to give them time for a buff or physik flask. They can attack and deal damage during this immunity window.