Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
COPE VS PENTA 44 59.46%
LIONHOOK SHIBATA VS STP 4 5.41%
OKADA VS A GUY 6 8.11%
MAY VS JAY 6 8.11%
JOE VS RHODES 14 18.92%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

CombineThresher posted:

They've had some dumb takes on AEW, but it's more that they think the Platonic ideal of wrestling is ponderous, boring HHH matches and can't accept that there are different approaches to selling and ring psychology out there in the world.

Ew a HGH match? No thanks, I'll take the crab juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

post hole digger posted:

i wish murderxbryan still did his everything beast wrestling podcast episodes because he was funny and liked aew, but i think hes got too much going on these days

I would love to have him bring back Leslie Lee again for how incredibly awkward it would be now

Long-Time Lurker posted:

It's a bit suspicious that a lot of the vanilla "Just enjoy wrestling" podcasts turned on AEW and joined the grift train.

WWE is "cool again" in a nerd culture way and AEW is seen as a threat to its dominance, people love and identify themselves by enjoying corporate sanitized pop culture and want their view to be objectively correct. it's like when people post about the most recent boring-rear end Star Wars show getting a 95% on the Tomatometer or whatever when it'll be forgotten in a week.

Whoolighams fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 15, 2024

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

CombineThresher posted:

This more than anything else is what turned me off of OSW. It was fun when they ripped on the worst parts of 90s WCW and WWE but holy poo poo their taste in modern stuff is terrible. Deadlock is way more fun since those guys know they're numbskulls at the end of the day.

Not specifically just OSW but I'm surprised that it turns out the people who make fun of the standard WrestleCrap™ stuff of the '90s and even the '00s don't actually have good taste in wrestling.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Majinfoose posted:

I stopped watching OSW before they reviewed AEW stuff, how bad was that?

Outside of their modern wrestling takes mentioned, they still do a ton of tasteless bits. And a bunch of weirdos commenting way too much about women's appearances always skeeves me out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Whoolighams posted:

I would love to have him bring back Leslie Lee again for how incredibly awkward it would be now

WWE is "cool again" in a nerd culture way and AEW is seen as a threat to its dominance, people love and identify themselves by enjoying corporate sanitized pop culture and want their view to be objectively correct. it's like when people post about the most recent boring-rear end Star Wars show getting a 95% on the Tomatometer or whatever when it'll be forgotten in a week.

Even when AEW was at its hottest pro AEW content did not come close to doing as well as anti AEW content. I guess we'll see how well pro WWE content does now.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jon Moxley: ace of the world, bitch

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

MassRafTer posted:

Even when AEW was at its hottest pro AEW content did not come close to doing as well as anti AEW content. I guess we'll see how well pro WWE content does now.

I doubt even pro-WWE content will do much for long, anger drives clicks.

So basically just cover CM Punk news forever and roll around in that sweet HelloFresh moolah.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

shiksa posted:

the only wrestling podcast at all worth listening to is deadlock, it is known

The NEVER Open Podcast is both a really good New Japan review podcast AND does dramatic readings of wrestler diaries from the New Japan site.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I like Chicago because I met up with my now-partner in a hotel room there and we unlocked every character in Smash 4 3DS and then I went to an Erasure concert :)

I've got a white t shirt with Paul Bearer in black outline that I wore to an Erasure concert in Dallas. While waiting for the concert to start, someone looked at me with a disgusted look and asked why I would wear a shirt with a picture of fat Hitler to an Erasure concert. I haven't worn it in public since.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I went to an Idles concert in Berlin and spotted someone wearing an All In shirt.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I was in a Walmart wearing an Ultramantis Black Venom shirt and an old lady asked me if I worked there

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Whoolighams posted:

It's going to be real dire once WWE stans pick up nerd culture's M.O. and start review bombing matches on cagematch.net.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Long-Time Lurker posted:

It's going to be real dire once WWE stans pick up nerd culture's M.O. and start review bombing matches on cagematch.net.

They did that and the cagematch admins had to implement measures to stop it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wonder why all the podcasts have started saying AEW is bad :thunk: must be bots...

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Highly recommend Trish and Sarah Wrestling Podcast for good AEW podcasting content
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X1Xgc0L1FQ

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
I mainly just stick to W3, Wrestle Me and Deadlock. Only Zane really talks about current stuff anymore.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I’m mostly listening to dr Gameshow

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

When I was still using Twitter any post I made about AEW would be swarmed with replies like “AEW sux” and a half dozen accounts all posting “nobody watching this”. If you looked at the accounts that posted it they were very obviously bots in that they had under 50 followers, followed thousands of people, and would all say basically the same thing again and again.

Considering some of the insanity we see in this very forum, I’m not surprised that some people spend actual money online to create these bot armies to hype up their hatred of AEW.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

A Fancy Hat posted:

When I was still using Twitter any post I made about AEW would be swarmed with replies like “AEW sux” and a half dozen accounts all posting “nobody watching this”. If you looked at the accounts that posted it they were very obviously bots in that they had under 50 followers, followed thousands of people, and would all say basically the same thing again and again.

Considering some of the insanity we see in this very forum, I’m not surprised that some people spend actual money online to create these bot armies to hype up their hatred of AEW.

QOP and their bot army

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Tights and Fights has been pro-WWE and anti-AEW for years.

Before I stopped listening, I remember one of the hosts criticizing the women's division in AEW versus WWE. That was before I was watching AEW regularly, but even then, that was a real :wtc: moment.

(And yeah, it was all downhill after Open Mike Eagle left.)

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

A Fancy Hat posted:

Wouldn't it make more sense for WWE to pay for these bots themselves?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Long-Time Lurker posted:

I don’t think they need to, I think they’re built up a large enough and (in some cases) crazy enough fan base to do all that on their own.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Long-Time Lurker posted:

They get a bulk discount on charcuterie boards

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

Long-Time Lurker posted:

The "freelance journalists" of the dorks entertainment army do it for cheese platters and deli meats. The podcast grifters and iwc twitwits do it for free.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

fez_machine posted:

Highly recommend Trish and Sarah Wrestling Podcast for good AEW podcasting content
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X1Xgc0L1FQ

Yeah I was about to say that I really liked their "CM Punk is not mad" episode. Obviously I'm biased but it was basically an execution and that pleased me, especially their takedown of all his "I'm trying to run a business here" rhetoric and how his booking of Collision proved otherwise.

EDIT - I've just recommended the exact episode you linked. FFS. I'm keeping it up

CaptainApathyUK fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 15, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Majinfoose posted:

QOP and their bot army

my twitter is very pro AEW

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

But not your forum posting? Two face qop

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

But what of your bots, QOP?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

SilentChaz posted:

Tights and Fights has been pro-WWE and anti-AEW for years.

Before I stopped listening, I remember one of the hosts criticizing the women's division in AEW versus WWE. That was before I was watching AEW regularly, but even then, that was a real :wtc: moment.

(And yeah, it was all downhill after Open Mike Eagle left.)

I remember trying to listen to the earlier episodes of this and it was unlistenable. Unfunny, bad takes, and also they just seemingly didn’t know poo poo about wrestling.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MassRafTer posted:

aside from clapping back with the cm punk footage, aew kinda stepped aside while wwe was on the road to wrestlemania and quietly did its own thing. wwe fans & bystanders got what they wanted with cody winning at wrestlemania and to them it heralds in a new era since it seems like it wasn't something vince the sex monster would ever do, so now it's up to wwe booking cody's reign properly during the summer to try to siphon off heat for aew's build to all in, which will begin in earnest with dynasty

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

FullMetalJackoff posted:

I mainly just stick to W3, Wrestle Me and Deadlock. Only Zane really talks about current stuff anymore.

Wrestle Me is a fun one! They're at their best covering old British wrestling and trying to prove that Les Kellett was the Yorkshire Ripper.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Every wrestler should train punching from Shane Taylor

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

FullMetalJackoff posted:

The "freelance journalists" of the dorks entertainment army do it for cheese platters and deli meats.

Like, Konuwa doesn't even try to hide the fact he's got a direct line to Stamford now, even if you discount the charcuterie board thing.

The fast national ratings are expensive to get a hold of week after week – even AEW don't pay for them – and we're supposed to believe that Konuwa isn't getting them straight from WWE's press office (but only when Rampage or Collision do bad)?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

RandolphCarter posted:

Every wrestler should train punching from Shane Taylor

Punching and chops. He's so so so good at both. Every single Shane Taylor match I wince with how loud his chops can get.

Honestly there's nothing better in wrestling than a big fat dude who talks mad poo poo. It was true for Kevin Steen, it's true for Shane Taylor, it'll be true in the future too. :allears:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I've watched 4 AEW shows now and I'm mostly enjoying it and can see why others are so fanatical about it.

One thing I don't think I care for too much is the dirtbag aesthetic the shows have. Everything always looks so grimey

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's the old cameras

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Ogogo actually seems pretty good when he's not tied to a "Rarrgghhhh Britain good, USA bad!" gimmick and adds a fun dynamic to STP.

You have a big beefy strong guy, a tall punch guy, and a smaller technical guy. That gives them a LOT of opportunity for fun and varied matches with a lot of guys. Good stuff.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

It's the old cameras

I mean this wouldn't surprise me.

The first episode I watched I stopped it and cleaned my phone screen a couple of times before realizing it was just the show.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

When you go to a live AEW show they spray a bunch of grease in the arena to lube things up. It's how the wrestlers are able to do so many athletic things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

When you go to a live AEW show they spray a bunch of grease in the arena to lube things up. It's how the wrestlers are able to do so many athletic things.

This is what's keeping Michael Nakazawa employed!