Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Wait when was sushi invented? It's just sticky rice and dried seaweed, it can't be that anachronistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It was only a few weeks back when they accidentally caused a mass sushi outbreak in the western style fantasy world. Now sushi is a staple food and also there's magical anteaters

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yeah, the insistence on an anteater-based ecology is my favorite feature of that comic.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Wait when was sushi invented? It's just sticky rice and dried seaweed, it can't be that anachronistic.

according to wikipedia, the classical world had access to rice, but sushi isn't mentioned anywhere in the west til the 1800s

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

The sushi digression occurs here.

The ant eater thing happened even earlier with the same organisation - they used time travel to try to quickly breed some slightly larger giant ant eaters and ended up with massive ant eaters and an ant eater cult running their office. Wait until the winged ant eater calvary shows up.

Pfft, Sushi Pope.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Beank and Rosa: Who needs a friend?

Just another day of being a teen junkyard criminal

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you think about it a bus is like a mini train that can go anywhere

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Synthbuttrange posted:

If you think about it a bus is like a mini train that can go anywhere

Don't tell Beank, he'll get paralyzed on the spot if he takes this logic to its end point

Different Country Diary

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Cricket Magazine, November 1973

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

SOUBOUTEI
MUST
BE
DESTROYED

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiger, Tiger

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I couldn't help but notice you've been acting a little bit different ever since I turned my body into a simulacrum of a town for you to live in

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Captain Hygiene posted:

I couldn't help but notice you've been acting a little bit different ever since I turned my body into a simulacrum of a town for you to live in

Nah. It's just... lately I'm thinking a lot about [some inane child thing not relevant to the situation.]

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Rainbow in the Dark

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Owl at Home posted:

Cricket Magazine, November 1973

factsaboutsnails.com posted:

Snails have thousands of teeth which are used for scraping or cutting food. The teeth are arranged in rows on a chitinous ribbon and together form the radula. A typical radula may have 120 rows of 100 teeth i.e. around 12 000 teeth, though some species may have more than 20 000 teeth. The arrangement and shape of teeth varies from family to family.

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 71: Mount Kintoki Dreamin'

This is adroit diplomacy: a guy tries to kill you, so you feed him some horse barbarque. Problem solved!

Minor historical note: meat eating wasn't very big in Japan until the big westernisation push after the Meiji Restoration.

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 37: The Wheat, the Magic and the Song of Gaia

Sigurd is a sensitive soul.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Emzedoh posted:

Sigurd is a sensitive soul.

As a man who can't grow a proper beard, I respect this

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Molluscs have a radula, which is a rasp-like ribbon of tissue embedded with hundreds to tens of thousands of tiny teeth. And snails have either four, one or zero brains, depending in how you count cerebral ganglia
e: aww what you beat me to snailposting.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Hey, I didn't catch the brain stuff!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I was literally too slow to post about snails. Next up: fun tortoise facts, in a day or two

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
I forgot about Sluggo's role as the stock big dumb guy of the cast in these early editions, by the time I started reading in the 90s his character was written more like an erudite stoner

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

I was literally too slow to post about snails. Next up: fun tortoise facts, in a day or two

i drew a snail then i drew more snails

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Hell yeah, those are some nice snails :buddy:

Also, apparently we have a small smiley? :nudesnail:

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

the person who bought ;nudesnail; frantically searching "snail" on the forums for anyone posting pictures of, or talking about snails out of their shells, just got SCOOPED by Captain Hygiene. lol what a strange emote :nudesnail:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Please tell them I love them

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Tree Bucket posted:

Molluscs have a radula, which is a rasp-like ribbon of tissue embedded with hundreds to tens of thousands of tiny teeth. And snails have either four, one or zero brains, depending in how you count cerebral ganglia
e: aww what you beat me to snailposting.

The shell is backwards too. People often get that wrong, like they're thinking of an ammonite or nautilus

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Mx. posted:

Please tell them I love them

i love them a lot for just being scratches i zapped into existence on a whim in like 5 mins lol. definitely surprised myself on this one.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Grumio posted:

The shell is backwards too. People often get that wrong, like they're thinking of an ammonite or nautilus

This reminds me of being eight and really interested in trains and permanently irritated at how little care most illustrators took when drawing steam train gear linkages.

Tag urself im

Also, time for page four of THE WEATHER BUREAU

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

TreeBucket how was your trip to the Ironbark Forest? I hope you had a great time and got some good pics.

Anyway I'm snail drawer now.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Those are some good snails.

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 44: Insurrectionists

!!

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

lmao at a league of nations of oneself

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I'm taking a break from Vagabond in case people hadn't noticed. I got used to not having to translate, and now I find it hard to get back in the groove. I'll pick it up again later, probably.

Instead, I finally managed to locate an archived version of an old webcomic I read ages ago and had been looking for. It was eventually abandoned by the artist, but there is enough here to be interesting.

The Antagonist

While the original website is long gone, the author's portfolio site includes some colorized versions of pages from this comic, so I will be throwing them in as bonuses.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

lmao at a league of nations of oneself

They already showed up in a previous chapter. British Ootsuki was in prison, where he belongs.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Fish... and chips...!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Benagain posted:

I was on a pg wodehouse reading binge lately and switching back and forth from that to abbeycourt manor was just the greatest thing

Was just about to say I was getting Aunt Agatha vibes.

Also, I was once bitten by a slug. As a small kid I was carrying one (as you do), and I felt the littlest, tiniest scraping sensation on my finger. Like I was being sandpapered by a fairy. Took me a moment to realize it was the slug.

Samovar has a new favorite as of 08:40 on Apr 15, 2024

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Ugh, I can kind of sense the shape of what's looming in the future for the Souboutei planet-alien inhabitants and I don't like it...! Very effective sci-fi dread.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

the person who bought ;nudesnail; frantically searching "snail" on the forums for anyone posting pictures of, or talking about snails out of their shells, just got SCOOPED by Captain Hygiene. lol what a strange emote :nudesnail:

Especially weird that it has a shell, which the nude snails don't have. Or is that a helmet? I cant' tell.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Samovar posted:

Also, I was once bitten by a slug. As a small kid I was carrying one (as you do), and I felt the littlest, tiniest scraping sensation on my finger. Like I was being sandpapered by a fairy. Took me a moment to realize it was the slug.

I like this story.

TreeBucket how was your trip to the Ironbark Forest? I hope you had a great time and got some good pics.

It was good! I had a small flock of eastern yellow robins following me, which was cool, and a couple of very loud neon-green parrots that never let me get close enough to photograph, which was less cool.

e: here's a question for the non-Australians itt, whose footprint is this?

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 12:17 on Apr 15, 2024

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

It was good! I had a small flock of eastern yellow robins following me, which was cool, and a couple of very loud neon-green parrots that never let me get close enough to photograph, which was less cool.

that is a blue tit without hair dye and makeup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Beank and Rosa: Who needs a friend?