Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think Inscryption is a better example than Outer Wilds, you can at least describe any part of OW without spoiling things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
While Outer Wilds is marketed on the time loop, I think it'd be far more interesting going into the game without that knowledge. I mean, the revelation only hits once but I'd love to see the sort of, like "Okay I'll check out that planet now....wait what's that light? Wait what?"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Morpheus posted:

While Outer Wilds is marketed on the time loop, I think it'd be far more interesting going into the game without that knowledge. I mean, the revelation only hits once but I'd love to see the sort of, like "Okay I'll check out that planet now....wait what's that light? Wait what?"

Yeah, that'd be awesome if they could pull it off, but I don't know how it would work realistically once the game's out. I think about that sometimes for games and movies in particular, like watching Predator thinking it's just about commandos in the jungle, or From Dusk Till Dawn thinking it's a regular crime film. I know there are other games that have made me think that too, I'm just drawing a blank at the moment.

I occasionally hear stories about individual folks who go into stuff like that with no context, but I just don't know how it would work more generally once the topic becomes popular enough to be widely discussed.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Occasionally you have indie games marketed to be about one simple thing, and when you start playing it starts off as that and then quickly morphs into some entirly other thing. I think one of the first of the indies to do that was some side scrolling pony game that turned into a horror thing.

The idea being that all the marketing will actually be done word of mouth/youtubers reacting and what not.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

dr_rat posted:

Occasionally you have indie games marketed to be about one simple thing, and when you start playing it starts off as that and then quickly morphs into some entirly other thing. I think one of the first of the indies to do that was some side scrolling pony game that turned into a horror thing.

The idea being that all the marketing will actually be done word of mouth/youtubers reacting and what not.

Pony Island is the game you're talking about, a previous work by the same guy who did Inscryption. There might be a little bit of a trend there.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
But even then its predated by Eversion.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, that'd be awesome if they could pull it off, but I don't know how it would work realistically once the game's out. I think about that sometimes for games and movies in particular, like watching Predator thinking it's just about commandos in the jungle, or From Dusk Till Dawn thinking it's a regular crime film. I know there are other games that have made me think that too, I'm just drawing a blank at the moment.

Spec Ops:The Line. Starts as a atandard military scooter, then becomes something else.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Everyone should play Eversion. Look at how cute it is

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Sometimes I wonder what it'd be like to play Doki Doki Literature Club blind as a dating sim since it does string you along for like an hour before suddenly switching gears.

I assume it must've caught some people by virtue of being a good looking game that was free when it first came out, but I think the steam version picked up the psychological horror tag pretty quick.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

yook posted:

I assume it must've caught some people by virtue of being a good looking game that was free when it first came out, but I think the steam version picked up the psychological horror tag pretty quick.

Is that not just a standard tag for anime dating sims?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is not a very good game overall, but I quite liked the moment in Indigo Prophecy where Lucas(?) Is finally cornered by the police. Up until then it was mostly trying to escape the police and hunting down leads on what you are. Then this happens. It was just pretending to be a police procedural game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qT6xOPZU3E

The game somehow goes even further off the rails from here and never returns. And this dude has already hallucinated giant bedbugs attacking his office building by this point.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:03 on Apr 15, 2024

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

dr_rat posted:

Is that not just a standard tag for anime dating sims?

It's a standard tag for pretty much every game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Genre shifts in games can be quite fun because they lend themselves to messing with the set dressing, mixing the 'game' elements with the aesthetics in ways that play on your expectations. Of course a lot have a tendency to almost feel like they're trying to guilt trip you for playing them, but the better ones also mess with that expectation as well.

Eversion is a fun one since it both plays on those themes and also actually just follows good game design when it continues to mess around with the mechanics and introduce new concepts throughout the entire game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Morpheus posted:

That's what happened to me. I went in completely blind based only on vague recommendations and was surprised by the loop.

The effect was somewhat spoiled by me being either inside a structure or on the wrong side of a planet the first couple of loops. It wasn't until the third iteration that I actually saw what happened :v:

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

I'm early into Dragon's Dogma, but I love how hopping on the back of a griffin usually ends in a chaotic mess.

I've had one careen into a oxcart that was having it's own separate fight with goblins and lizardmen, another buck me off into a river, and the last one drowned in the same river after I stabbed it in the head and froze it in midair. I only survived with a pixel of health because I lost grip as it was falling, and landed on a rock.

10/10, makes me want to start a recording when I spot one in the wild.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I occasionally hear stories about individual folks who go into stuff like that with no context, but I just don't know how it would work more generally once the topic becomes popular enough to be widely discussed.

I know this isn't related to video games, and I understand where you're coming from, but I keep seeing people use Predator as an example for "seeing the movie blind". The opening shot of the film is the Predator ship arriving at Earth. It's literally spoiled at the start of the film.

Terminator 2 works for this though. My wife only saw Terminator 1 and 2 recently, and she was honestly surprised at the plot twist.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Leal posted:

There's a great LP of it in the archives!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Detective Buttfuck posted:

I'm early into Dragon's Dogma, but I love how hopping on the back of a griffin usually ends in a chaotic mess.

I've had one careen into a oxcart that was having it's own separate fight with goblins and lizardmen, another buck me off into a river, and the last one drowned in the same river after I stabbed it in the head and froze it in midair. I only survived with a pixel of health because I lost grip as it was falling, and landed on a rock.

10/10, makes me want to start a recording when I spot one in the wild.

The one time I stayed on the back of a griffin, it flew over the sea, glitched out, and basically blinked into the water and died.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Well it ain’t called a swimmin

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

There's a great LP of it in the archives!

It is a cute love story. Everyone needs to play it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CJacobs posted:

It is not a very good game overall, but I quite liked the moment in Indigo Prophecy where Lucas(?) Is finally cornered by the police. Up until then it was mostly trying to escape the police and hunting down leads on what you are. Then this happens. It was just pretending to be a police procedural game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qT6xOPZU3E

The game somehow goes even further off the rails from here and never returns. And this dude has already hallucinated giant bedbugs attacking his office building by this point.

Indigo Prophecy is a good game up until a specific moment where it just shits the bed completely and never recovers; The Super Saiyan Rooftop Fight.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

I know this isn't related to video games, and I understand where you're coming from, but I keep seeing people use Predator as an example for "seeing the movie blind". The opening shot of the film is the Predator ship arriving at Earth. It's literally spoiled at the start of the film.

I wonder if that opening shot was something that an exec forced in because they didn't want viewers to be confused about what the premise of the movie was. Something very similar happens in Dark City, where there's an opening voiceover that lays out the big reveal and completely undercuts the first ~30 minutes of the movie.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The best way to see Predator for the first time is to be stuck in line buying theatre nachos and sodas while the previews are rolling and miss the first couple of minutes of the movie looking for a seat.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I wonder if that opening shot was something that an exec forced in because they didn't want viewers to be confused about what the premise of the movie was. Something very similar happens in Dark City, where there's an opening voiceover that lays out the big reveal and completely undercuts the first ~30 minutes of the movie.

From what I've heard, it was tacked on after the fact, yeah.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Randalor posted:

Whoops - it's been too long since I saw it. But yeah, I always thought the movie would be way better without it, so much so that I forgot it was in there.

Randalor posted:

Terminator 2 works for this though. My wife only saw Terminator 1 and 2 recently, and she was honestly surprised at the plot twist.

That reminds me, I actually did have this experience too! I never saw too much about the movies ahead of time, outside of a few catchphrases with no context, and it totally got me when the terminators meet up at the mall. It was great, it's easy to see how telegraphed it is on a rewatch, but my initial assumptions were too strong the first time around.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yep. Absolute surprise that Predator is about an alien

https://youtu.be/XY6d4LGd8YM?si=cRZPwvcqQQH3cw2N

Wait no, the opposite of that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Captain Hygiene posted:

That reminds me, I actually did have this experience too! I never saw too much about the movies ahead of time, outside of a few catchphrases with no context, and it totally got me when the terminators meet up at the mall. It was great, it's easy to see how telegraphed it is on a rewatch, but my initial assumptions were too strong the first time around.

It was kind of a weird situation in the contemporaneous mediascape too. Arnold was a relative unknown in the first movie, so he could be an icy killer robot and nobody would have a problem with that. But by the second one he had become one of the biggest movie stars in the world on the back of the whole 80s action movie phenomenon so he was now part of a formula and a gigantic Brand. Nobody wanted or expected him to play a villain any more even though the movie tries to pretend there is some uncertainty there for as long as it can

James Cameron did an absolutely masterful job communicating that this guy isn't the icy killer robot you remember- by having him crash a biker bar butt naked and beat the poo poo out of everyone in it and take all their stuff. Those are not things a good guy is supposed to do! But it still gives you the sense that things are different from the first movie

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
If a story relies on a plot twist for its enjoyment, then there might be something wrong with the story?

Get Out, great movie, with a fantastic script and great performances...if the plot twist wasn't there, would it hold up? Absolutely. Same with Predator or Sixth Sense. The movies are still fantastic even if spoiled.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

If a story relies on a plot twist for its enjoyment, then there might be something wrong with the story?

Get Out, great movie, with a fantastic script and great performances...if the plot twist wasn't there, would it hold up? Absolutely. Same with Predator or Sixth Sense. The movies are still fantastic even if spoiled.

The point in the unspoiled experience is context and the lack of it on your first experience. That's what makes going back on subsequent experiences engaging in a game/movie/whatever, reliving it with that newfound context to see what wasn't understood the first time and now carries new meaning.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Absolutely not. A good twist is held up throughout the story so you can enjoy it more on knowledge, but shock, surprise and misdirection are all valid tools for a writer or creator to use and have a strong impact on how people remember or view things. You can go into something spoiled and still enjoy it but there's marked difference in impact between knowing something is coming and being caught off guard.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
like I said back when the topic was still about videogames, you can only experience something for the first time once. something can still hold up to repeated viewings and you can appreciate it differently if you know what's coming, but you can never go back and experience it without that foreknowledge once you get it & for that reason alone it's worth letting people have those moments.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What exactly is "the twist" in Get Out.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

He actually has to :getin:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Someone actually eats fruit loops.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Why would you do this

hahahahahha yesss

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

white liberals aren't actually good people

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

pentyne posted:

white liberals aren't actually good people

That's only a twist for white liberals.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ImpAtom posted:

Absolutely not. A good twist is held up throughout the story so you can enjoy it more on knowledge, but shock, surprise and misdirection are all valid tools for a writer or creator to use and have a strong impact on how people remember or view things. You can go into something spoiled and still enjoy it but there's marked difference in impact between knowing something is coming and being caught off guard.

That is bullshit. Shock and surprise are cheap heat. Character is what pulls me in and how the end is reached, not a sudden change.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

exquisite tea posted:

It's not a sixth-sense game changer or anything, but his seemingly-loving fiancee is in on the whole thing, and choose him as a victim for her family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

flatluigi posted:

like I said back when the topic was still about videogames, you can only experience something for the first time once.

100000% this. Every conversation about spoilers seems to boil down to this.