Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The dual region ticket I use pretty frequently now works half the time.

On most busses and subway stations you can use contactless payment to buy a single ride, fine cool whatever. It works with Apple Pay, which I have, but I’m not using Apple Pay, I’m using the multi region ticket.

However most of the terminals seem to now bypass the app ticket I have and trigger the Apple Pay prompt. Like I’ll put the QR code down in the reader as I’ve done a zillion times on busses and trains but I think the NFC terminal is overriding the app with my ticket now?

Anyway this is NOT AT ALL a pain when you’re slightly hungover and are about to miss the train. I totally have the patience for a time sensitive matter like public transport and “machine is trying to double charge me”. I did NOT yell while slapping my phone on the QR reader, there is no proof.

E: upon checking the App Store this isn’t something that has recently been lovely, it’s been lovely for over four years. Turns out it’s due to the QR code itself being too small and many QR readers being scratched up due to use. Cool and good.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Voter ID is absolutely a bullshit attempt to prevent people from voting unless everyone is automatically issued a completely free form of identification. Here in the UK voter fraud is a non-issue, but since our entire media is run by the right wing government it became an issue because they know they're going to lose the next election to the very-slightly-less right wing party unless they take away our ability to vote. However, you can get a free voter ID certificate online if you need one. This was barely advertised anywhere, but it is an actual thing.

In other stories of enshittification: Prime video removed the watch party feature entirely, so you can no longer automatically sync up watching a film online with others. I've been using this at least once a week for four years when friends and I started using it to watch films together during the first 'lockdown'. This was only removed because it was loving up their ability to display ads during films. Even if you pay the extra few quid to not have ads you cannot use watch parties anymore. So you now pay more for a worse service with fewer features.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They've noticeably tried to get voter fraud to take off as a hot-button issue in Australia a few times and completely failed. But Australia's an extremely different environment to most of the western world when it comes to voting and perceptions of it due to compulsory voting.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 14, 2024

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
If you vote it simply signals to those really in charge that you support the broken system. If everyone stopped voting in protest we might finally be able to form a proper society.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Cerekk posted:

It is probably true that at any one of the 166,990 individual precincts, any one individual is not listed more than once. And it is probably also true that in some of the 50 states, there is sufficient coordination to ensure an individual votes in only one precinct in that state.

When I was 18 I lived in Florida and was registered to vote in Palm Beach County. I haven't checked since 2016 but back then I was still registered and got the option to vote absentee despite being registered in North Carolina. I only voted in North Carolina.

Palm Beach County is notoriously disorganized when it comes to voting.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

If you vote it simply signals to those really in charge that you support the broken system. If everyone stopped voting in protest we might finally be able to form a proper society.

Yeah sure thing governments are always like "oohh you're not voting please vote it's super duper important to us that you vote. What can we do to get you to vote?"

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Desert Bus posted:

welcome to the resistance

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Quote-Unquote posted:

In other stories of enshittification: Prime video removed the watch party feature entirely, so you can no longer automatically sync up watching a film online with others. I've been using this at least once a week for four years when friends and I started using it to watch films together during the first 'lockdown'. This was only removed because it was loving up their ability to display ads during films. Even if you pay the extra few quid to not have ads you cannot use watch parties anymore. So you now pay more for a worse service with fewer features.

https://caracal.club/

That sucks though. Fuckin adverts.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
YouTube app on Apple TV now shows its own screensaver. Which disabled the Apple TV’s own screensaver, preventing the device from auto-shutting down at the interval set.
There is, of course, no ability to opt out.

It’s such a small thing, but I am just so, so tired of EVERYTHING being lovely now.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

teen witch posted:

The dual region ticket I use pretty frequently now works half the time.

On most busses and subway stations you can use contactless payment to buy a single ride, fine cool whatever. It works with Apple Pay, which I have, but I’m not using Apple Pay, I’m using the multi region ticket.

However most of the terminals seem to now bypass the app ticket I have and trigger the Apple Pay prompt. Like I’ll put the QR code down in the reader as I’ve done a zillion times on busses and trains but I think the NFC terminal is overriding the app with my ticket now?

Anyway this is NOT AT ALL a pain when you’re slightly hungover and are about to miss the train. I totally have the patience for a time sensitive matter like public transport and “machine is trying to double charge me”. I did NOT yell while slapping my phone on the QR reader, there is no proof.

E: upon checking the App Store this isn’t something that has recently been lovely, it’s been lovely for over four years. Turns out it’s due to the QR code itself being too small and many QR readers being scratched up due to use. Cool and good.
This does not in any way make the situation you describe better in itself, but if it's a static QR code you can probably copy it into a digital wallet type app - the one I use is ostensibly for store loyalty cards, but works for anything that relies on standard QR or bar codes. The digital wallet app will probably display the QR code at a bigger size than the stock transit app.

Anyway my personal Windows PC recently updated and stealth-installed some Microsoft Copilot bullshit. Thankfully it can be disabled using group policy, but goddamn do I hate how absolutely everyone is pushing garbage AI stuff.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Most systems like that have a code that updates every few seconds. If your area works with the Transit app try that, it has the ability to disable nfc when showing the ticket code. If not, add the nfc toggle to your quick settings so you can just turn it off when hitting the train

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Woebin posted:

This does not in any way make the situation you describe better in itself, but if it's a static QR code you can probably copy it into a digital wallet type app - the one I use is ostensibly for store loyalty cards, but works for anything that relies on standard QR or bar codes. The digital wallet app will probably display the QR code at a bigger size than the stock transit app.

Anyway my personal Windows PC recently updated and stealth-installed some Microsoft Copilot bullshit. Thankfully it can be disabled using group policy, but goddamn do I hate how absolutely everyone is pushing garbage AI stuff.

QR code changes every 60-90 seconds unfortunately! But apparently if you either hold it with a shadow around where the QR code is being displayed the contrast might help? OR, if you hold it in a way that the NFC chip is the furthest away from the reader, however given that the NFC chip on my phone is near the camera and the QR code is…on the top half of the screen. I might spend a masochistic afternoon testing what works and what doesn’t.

Could this be solved with replacing the readers with a more durable material that doesn’t get scratched in under a decade? Yes, and it might even be more ecologically sustainable!

Could the ticketing methods public transit systems be centralized in a way that benefits the most populated region of the country, instead of twelve apps to solve one problem situation? Yes, and it could simplify things for less tech inclined people!

Why not even use the already existing infrastructure to just have the actual transit card itself to be added to Apple Wallet or related app for Android? They do it in the southern part of the country and it hasn’t collapsed into rubble. We can bypass this whole QR code bullshit.

Perhaps even raise taxes on A Certain Minority to fund super low cost, if not free public transit like other countries have done? Yes, and maybe even fund infrastructure so that public transit is even better!

Unfortunately these all get in the way of building kiddie prisons and making gas a micron cheaper.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

YouTube ads suddenly got a lot shittier.

Used to be that I'd get either a 20-30 second unskippable ad, or one or two longer ones that can be skipped after 5 seconds. Since about a week or two I've been seeing 50+ seconds unskippable ads, or (and this feels kinda buggy) I get skippable ads but after I skip them I get another set of skippable ads right after.

I can afford premium easily and given the amount of entertainment I get out of it I don't mind paying, but I promised myself I'd only get it as a reward for quitting smoking, which I haven't managed yet. Also, yes, I have an adblocker on my computer but I also watch youtube on my phone and my tv, and I need the kids I work with to be able to navigate youtube easily so setting up a media center or whatever isn't worth the hassle.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I would mind paying, gently caress all the tech giants really, principle of the thing. I stopped using the app and use the mobile youtube website.

The code formatting in Visual Studio Code sucks compared to the old Visual Studio 2010, at least when it comes to HTML code. The old VS2010 was eminently customizable and I had it set up just the way I like it.

I haven't been able to get visual studio code to work like I want to after years of trying and testing various code formatters.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Taeke posted:

YouTube ads suddenly got a lot shittier.

Used to be that I'd get either a 20-30 second unskippable ad, or one or two longer ones that can be skipped after 5 seconds. Since about a week or two I've been seeing 50+ seconds unskippable ads, or (and this feels kinda buggy) I get skippable ads but after I skip them I get another set of skippable ads right after.

I can afford premium easily and given the amount of entertainment I get out of it I don't mind paying, but I promised myself I'd only get it as a reward for quitting smoking, which I haven't managed yet. Also, yes, I have an adblocker on my computer but I also watch youtube on my phone and my tv, and I need the kids I work with to be able to navigate youtube easily so setting up a media center or whatever isn't worth the hassle.
Use Ublock and sponsorskip

His Divine Shadow posted:

I would mind paying, gently caress all the tech giants really, principle of the thing. I stopped using the app and use the mobile youtube website.

The code formatting in Visual Studio Code sucks compared to the old Visual Studio 2010, at least when it comes to HTML code. The old VS2010 was eminently customizable and I had it set up just the way I like it.

I haven't been able to get visual studio code to work like I want to after years of trying and testing various code formatters.
Vocode is just electron garbage that shouldn't exist in the first place. Why they made it at all I've no idea instead of just making a lite version of VS without all the IDE tools

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i pay for youtube premium because their ads are too annoying and unlike other streaming services you can't really pirate most of the worthwhile content on there easily. its pretty expensive but since i also use it for music in the car its ok compared to spotify. whenever i accidentally use youtube without my login its absolute hell. i have noticed the "skip this ad" button seems to be missing more and more often in general

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Vocode is just electron garbage that shouldn't exist in the first place. Why they made it at all I've no idea instead of just making a lite version of VS without all the IDE tools

VSCode is great. The fact it's electron shouldn't be held against it when it's actually a good electron app, although they've had to write a whole bunch of custom code into the electron framework itself to make it as snappy as it is.

VS is so overwrought and huge that it would be impossible to strip it back to something light and responsive, so you'd need to start from scratch anyway. And using electron has been a strong enabler of the extreme extensibility that is a major pro of VS Code.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 15, 2024

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

mobby_6kl posted:

Use Ublock and sponsorskip

You may have missed the part where they have to use the app and/or the TV app.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

MikeJF posted:

VSCode is great. The fact it's electron shouldn't be held against it when it's actually a good electron app, although they've had to write a whole bunch of custom code into the electron framework itself to make it as snappy as it is.

VS is so overwrought and huge that it would be impossible to strip it back to something light and responsive, so you'd need to start from scratch anyway. And using electron has been a strong enabler of the extreme extensibility that is a major pro of VS Code.

I wish they'd have taken the excellent formatter out of it somehow. It's so infuriating how VScode breaks up text paragraphs (fragments them) and doesn't seem to know how to nicely handle tags or where to break anything. Just simple stuff like line breaking on <br /> tags would be nice, though I guess most people use <p></p> nowadays. Or just do it visually and don't care how the code looks. I've always had a little OCD about that and doing it code-first. Though nowadays the browsers developer tab is perhaps the most used tool...

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I use Google Rewards to pay for Youtube Premium. It doesn't pay enough every month, but every 3-4 months I feel like I'm cheating the system. They are stealing my data anyway, so I might as well get paid for some of it.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

hate to say it but youtube premium loving owns

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

pencilhands posted:

hate to say it but youtube premium loving owns

pencilhands: class traitor, adblock traitor, literally the problem

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I just watch an ad the three times per year that I need information that is best conveyed in video format

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

thathonkey posted:

i pay for youtube premium because their ads are too annoying and unlike other streaming services you can't really pirate most of the worthwhile content on there easily.

I think they may have broken it at some point, but as of when I tried a few days ago youtube-dl still works.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

The fact it's electron shouldn't be held against it when it's actually a good electron app,

It sure can, because it's not.

Besides being dangerously close to 'notepad with colors', it suffers from all the stuff that makes every other Electron app completely useless in production. Most notably among those things is that it can't handle windowing at all. There is no concept of tearable / dockable / child windows because Electron can't actually generate more than one WIndow without generating a whole other host. It's relationship with the actual desktop environment is terrible.

VS is an amazing, amazing tool with crazy features. Yep - it's a total monster to wield and I'd only call myself an expert in some specific slices of it and definitely not in the tool as a whole. It's also imperfect largely because it's scope is enormous, but it at least has ambitions to be a tool to solve real big problems (which it does a good job of doing nearly always). When people say VS is bloated, I get this image in my head of someone asking why Photoshop is so bloated when you can just use MSPaint.

VSCode is grossly inadequate for anything that isn't 'trivial' already. Electron has hamstrung it badly and it cannot graduate past that. I use to do some work in VSCode, but as I found more and more things it can't do, I eventually just moved all my work back to VS proper and I don't think I've opened VSCode for over a year now.

All that is to say that VSCode kinda does suck, and a big reason it sucks is because it's an Electron App. It's a relatively Good Electron App, but that bar is so low - it gets no points for having a context menu and not hitching every time you click a button.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 15, 2024

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i never liked vscode cause i use sublime text and it seems like an inferior clone of that in almost every way for my purposes (ie. a non-ide text editor designed for code) at least

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

I do a decent amount of scientific data related coding and I like VSCode better than dealing with either RStudio or Jupyter notebook and especially better than dealing with jumping between both. Full VS is too much for my needs and something like sublimetext doesn't have rich enough features to be my daily use.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

You may have missed the part where they have to use the app and/or the TV app.

And this problem is the exact reason why smart TVs suck poo poo. Any purpose built device for watching TV is going to be better than the TV itself which should be a dumb pane of glass for simply showing an input. Adding extra features that they're going to stop supporting in a couple of years (I'm looking at you, Samsung) purely to add it to the marketing copy is terrible.

If you sell a smart device you should be forced to support it for the reasonable lifespan of the product. Samsung fucks itself (and therefore the buyer) over by selling a billion devices a year which it can't possibly have any hope of keeping on top of. It's not just a Samsung problem but they're absolutely one of the worst offenders.

And Samsung's customer service sucks poo poo and their website is a loving abomination due to all the products they sell. Good luck finding firmware updates for anything over 12 months old.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

And Samsung's customer service sucks poo poo and their website is a loving abomination due to all the products they sell. Good luck finding firmware updates for anything over 12 months old.

Yes, TVs certainly got shittier for no good reason. I run the last model Sony I could find that had no smart features -- unfortunately it's not a very high quality LCD, and it's on the small side too. I dread the day I will have to go hunting for one of those specialty brands that still make premium-priced TVs without smart features. Reading about the lenghts consumer brands go to to circumvent adblocking is kind of scary. Even a PiHole won't work if the TV connects over loving 5G to serve you ads off its own internet connection!

Cerekk posted:

I just watch an ad the three times per year that I need information that is best conveyed in video format

Things that got shittier for no good reason: You can no longer find technology reviews in writing, because everyone for no reason started posting video reviews instead. Probably because it's harder to block their ads that way? I'm sure there's some way in which there's money in it, despite production costs being higher than for written text.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 15, 2024

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

My parents have two Samsung Smart TVs that I can barely figure out how to use so I have no idea how they manage.

During my past two visits I turned it off "the wrong way" and my parents couldn't figure out how to turn it on again - and it actually took me a while while my dad was yelling "IT'S BROKEN." I think part of it has to be the way my dad has it rigged up through a receiver for the surround sound that doesn't work. You have to power up the receiver, TV, and cable box in the correct sequence.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

And to be fair, they got a brand new one for their cabin and I did in fact watch it one night, turn it off, and it never turned on again. It was in fact broken lol. Amazon sent a new one.

I have one of those cheap Insignia brand TVs from best buy and it literally is just a glass pane and some inputs. Never had any issues with it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Mulaney Power Move posted:

You have to power up the receiver, TV, and cable box in the correct sequence.

There's probably a setting somewhere in the receiver and/or TV to enably HDMI CEC. With that on, all three devices should power up as soon as you start one of them. It is sometimes re-labled, like it's AnyNet+ on Samsung, BRAVIA LINK on Sony, etc.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

There's probably a setting somewhere in the receiver and/or TV to enably HDMI CEC. With that on, all three devices should power up as soon as you start one of them. It is sometimes re-labled, like it's AnyNet+ on Samsung, BRAVIA LINK on Sony, etc.

Ain't no way I'm touching the settings on those things. If my dad had a gun he'd shoot me.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

It could also be that CEC is enabled but something is conflicting, so all three devices power up and then one of them immediately powers the TV back down.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My parents tried to have me hook up their sound system and we wanted to make it so that we could have it so that things went to the sound outside but amps these days being designed to stop splitting and encrypted audio streams and all that made it near impossible and all this digital lockdown of audio just making it impossible to have a slightly custom sound system without spending a billion dollars made me so angry. It's blatantly these days more about wanting to lock you into buying all compatible systems since nobody is going to be pirating things like this.

In the end I could've maybe done something with the final speaker outputs but then I would've needed more knowledge about electrical engineering and mechanics of amplification and resistances and some secondary amplifiers and I kinda just gave up.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Things that got shittier for no good reason: You can no longer find technology reviews in writing, because everyone for no reason started posting video reviews instead. Probably because it's harder to block their ads that way? I'm sure there's some way in which there's money in it, despite production costs being higher than for written text.

Worse still, when you search for stuff now there’s an ever increasing number of mass produced results that are obviously written by AI language models with meaningless or blatantly wrong information trying to make some ad revenue. Maybe the focus on video is because normal websites are drowning in AI text garbage.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

rtings.com has been good to me so far, fyi

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

All you older posters itt could ask your kids or nephews to help you with your TVs. Young people are really good with tech

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

All you older posters itt could ask your kids or nephews to help you with your TVs. Young people are really good with tech

*Got my 8 remotes velcroed to the tv table in order, with notes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

r u ready to WALK posted:

Worse still, when you search for stuff now there’s an ever increasing number of mass produced results that are obviously written by AI language models with meaningless or blatantly wrong information trying to make some ad revenue. Maybe the focus on video is because normal websites are drowning in AI text garbage.

The pivot to video happened way before the dawn of Chat GPT and surely happened because it's easier to "monetize" - because in addition to whatever lovely website you made it for, you can throw it on Youtube as well. Youtube's gradual transformation from a free place for weirdos and enthusiasts to post poo poo quality videos into something everybody's trying to get rich off ad money from is, I dunno, I won't say it got shittier for no good reason because it was never going to be sustainable to run something like that without corporations and advertisers propping it up, but it's still lame. Everybody's a shill now.

But I mean you raise a very good point here, that "for gently caress sakes just give me some text to read, I don't wanna watch a goddamn video" is probably on the way out because that text is all gonna be written by AI now.

Honestly I think we're only a few years away from the mainstream internet being nothing but a virtual rendering of Simon Whistler reading an endless feed of AI generated nonsense, half of which is sponsored content also entirely AI generated.