Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Canuckistan posted:

Perhaps he's sedated to prevent outbursts.

He's asking to be in the room when the judge questions jurors. That's gonna be a shitshow if Merchan allows it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Yiggy posted:

Granted there might be some journalist/editor/personal biases at play but the clips that do break through always look so plodding, rote and boring. I will never understand how his rallies have rail riders that catch every show.

He's an unpolished, successful white guy who likes to talk and hates the same people the audience he wants hates. He's conversational and comfortable in the role. The reason it's hard to understand is because you're likely a relatively worldly person who doesn't hate the same people and has particular expectations of public discourse.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mdemone posted:

He's asking to be in the room when the judge questions jurors. That's gonna be a shitshow if Merchan allows it.

I had jury duty a few months ago and that was when I learned that was a thing. It was very weird to have the defendant sitting there when we were being selected. I was excused so I have no idea if he was found guilty, but he was charged with stabbing someone. That made it doubly awkward.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

trump needs the UK sudafed to avoid headlines of falling asleep in court

if he takes the UK sudafed, he'll most certainly disrupt the court proceedings

this will be an amazing trial

What's UK sudafed?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Lammasu posted:

What's UK sudafed?

I'm assuming in the UK the sudafed has the meth precursor chemicals that they don't have any more in the US.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

mdemone posted:

Isn’t this normal? The very boring trials I’ve been a part of have had the defendant there while jurors are selected.

Cimber posted:

I'm assuming in the UK the sudafed has the meth precursor chemicals that they don't have any more in the US.

You can still get it it’s just behind the counter and they track how much you buy.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Xiahou Dun posted:

I get it in the afternoon of day 14 or whatever, the excitement has worn off, warm room, after lunch, etc. It's not good, but I understand. It's very human.

But day 1, Monday morning? C'mon. You're not even trying here.

In fairness, one of the most boring things imaginable in court is the reading out of all the warnings to a jury followed by watching jurors being sworn and or discharged.

It's just monotonous without any real narrative to follow.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

The Question IRL posted:

In fairness, one of the most boring things imaginable in court is the reading out of all the warnings to a jury followed by watching jurors being sworn and or discharged.

Watching people who don’t want to be selected say the craziest poo poo they can, just to have them not be excluded till the very end is pretty entertaining.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Lammasu posted:

What's UK sudafed?

Peep his desk drawer:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/728297587418247168

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The Question IRL posted:

Sure, but that ain't happened yet.

He fell asleep while they were doing preliminary house-cleaning on motions, i.e. responding to a bunch of stuff he asked for.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

OK, that makes a lot more sense than my original ignorant interpretation, that he wanted to attend voir dire

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

He's probably getting poo poo sleep for one of a dozen reasons: Being old, being on drugs, anxiety, something else I lack imagination for, any combination of the above.

Before I got treatment for my own sleep apnea I was known for dozing off at work, especially if we had any training days where I had to sit down.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Xiahou Dun posted:

Sure, but that ain't happened yet.

He fell asleep while they were doing preliminary house-cleaning on motions, i.e. responding to a bunch of stuff he asked for.

Sure if you want to be reasonable and approach things in good faith.

gently caress him though. He wouldn't extend the same courtesy to anyone else so let the lols flow and plaster that poo poo on every front page in the country, "SLEEPY TRUMP HAS NO STAH-MEEN-AH"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Isn’t this normal? The very boring trials I’ve been a part of have had the defendant there while jurors are selected.

Yeah it's normal but you know he'll sigh and make faces and generally disrupt.

Edit: Merchan has decided against it because it could be intimidating.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

gently caress him though. He wouldn't extend the same courtesy to anyone else so let the lols flow and plaster that poo poo on every front page in the country, "SLEEPY TRUMP HAS NO STAH-MEEN-AH"

Yeah pretty much, as someone else pointed out, Right Wing News would be all over Biden for similar.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

bird food bathtub posted:

I think you need to re-read this whole exchange.

I'm pointing out that he fell asleep in the more embarrassing for him part of the trial.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

Presidents might have to deal with to boring, monotonous stuff sometimes, so it still doesn't look super great for him.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

Presidents might have to deal with to boring, monotonous stuff sometimes, so it still doesn't look super great for him.

To who? Everyone's basically made up their mind about him. I mean, if someone is undecided about Trump now should we even let them close to a voting booth? This election won't be about convincing people that Biden is better than Trump, it's convincing people to get off their asses and vote, no matter how much the GOP throws roadblocks in their way.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Yeah lol. What Trumpite is gonna see him nodding off at his criminal trial and think "Ah! That was the final straw!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well there's this imbalance in the media narratives (that has been improving post SOTU) that despite being about the same age, Trump is vital and vigorous and Biden is doddering and senile. Trump doing poo poo like this helps to push against that.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Trump literally calls his opponent “sleepy joe”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
CBS: More than half of the initial jury pool has already been dismissed because they stated that they could not be fair or impartial.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

CBS: More than half of the initial jury pool has already been dismissed because they stated that they could not be fair or impartial.

Merchan is allowing the Jury pool to get easy outs because he doesn't want to bog this down with Trump's lawyers taking hours per jury member in questions and interviews.

It's easier for him to just dismiss them and call in another tranche of potential jury members. He tried Trump org 2 years ago and ran into that issue and doesn't want to repeat it.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The real question is, who is more likely to lie about the ability to be impartial, someone who loves Trump or someone who hates Trump?

I don't particularly like the obvious answer to that question.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The other half lied that they could be, I assume.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I really don't see how a chud doesn't slip through the screening and result in a hung jury.

Does the prosecution get to do any digging on the potential jurors to raise concerns of bias?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

cr0y posted:

I really don't see how a chud doesn't slip through the screening and result in a hung jury.

Does the prosecution get to do any digging on the potential jurors to raise concerns of bias?

Yes. Both sides do during voir dire.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The real question is, who is more likely to lie about the ability to be impartial, someone who loves Trump or someone who hates Trump?

I don't particularly like the obvious answer to that question.

Someone who doesn't want to be on jury duty for six weeks+

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cr0y posted:

In theory in the event of a hung jury the judge could just schedule a new trial starting next Monday. I've seen judges do it before.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

cr0y posted:

Keep in mind that we've already been through this. Any single juror from the now-numerous grand juries could have gone full MAGA4lyfe, and didn't. Likewise the juries in the E. Jean Carroll cases. At this pok t were up to several dozen jurors who have sat on Trump cases, and Trump and MAGA have not won one of them.

Anything can happen, of course. Honestly, I'd worry more about Russia buying a juror than MAGA convincing one.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

In theory in the event of a hung jury the judge could just schedule a new trial starting next Monday. I've seen judges do it before.
Honestly Trump being stuck in a series of trials he has to attend until he finally begs one of his cultists to convict him so he can go campaign doesn't seem like the worst outcome.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

Keep in mind that we've already been through this. Any single juror from the now-numerous grand juries could have gone full MAGA4lyfe, and didn't. Likewise the juries in the E. Jean Carroll cases. At this pok t were up to several dozen jurors who have sat on Trump cases, and Trump and MAGA have not won one of them.

Anything can happen, of course. Honestly, I'd worry more about Russia buying a juror than MAGA convincing one.

Aren't pretty much all grand juries a majority, not unanimous? Hard to there wasn't at least 1 MAGA jurors in those.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Ynglaur posted:

To my knowledge, grand juries don't need to be unanimous like trial juries do, since they're just deciding whether there's enough of a case to justify charges. Is there any public record of whether the votes to indict were?

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I might be incorrect but isn't this particular case just asking for jury nullification?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

TGG posted:

I might be incorrect but isn't this particular case just asking for jury nullification?

12 jurors wouldn't agree to that

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

if you're going to pick any notable trump trial to worry over the jury, the one drawing from Manhattan is the actual literal least likely to be hosed one possible

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TGG posted:

This only works if all jurors go along with it. If the jurors have irreconcilable disagreements, they are hung but that's a mistrial and they can start over

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't think the MAGA team is sneaky enough to get a secret Trumpist on a jury. They are going to be unable to resist acting acting like an rear end in a top hat and the prosecution is going to see them coming a mile away. More likely there are people who may have voted for Trump but aren't hard-core Red Hats and are susceptible to peer pressure without instantly going all YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO! TRUMP! *click*

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TGG posted:

Nullification requires a verdict of not guilty, which requires unanimity. There's a reason it is rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah lol. What Trumpite is gonna see him nodding off at his criminal trial and think "Ah! That was the final straw!"

It's weird what can change someone's mind. I read an article a few weeks back (I forget where), where they talked to an older woman who decided Trump selling shoes was the thing that meant she was not going to vote for him in the upcoming election. Obviously that's coming directly from her, so its biased, but she was openly admitting to it so she probably means it.