Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The MSJ posted:

I should buy Shadow of Doubt or Midnight Suns instead.

Midnight Suns has on sale right now:

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/marvels-midnight-suns/info/

(Then again, it's going to be on sale often from now on. It didn't do well, alas.)

It wasn't flawless, but I thought it was a very good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh and I didn't even think of it until now, but why is a demon allied with some random dogs in the first place? <:mad:>

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, thanks! I think Dark Souls is a great game and well designed, but I do love learning more about its weird/sloppy/rushed development. Like somehow turning a mess into a work of art. It's neat!

Yeah, that's pretty much where I sit. Though honestly I do think it's a lesser game in the series because of stuff like, well, the entire back half of the game for instance. But regardless I find it way more interesting to explore and interrogate all the weird, messy parts of it instead of placing it on some pedestal like a lot of folks do, or at least used to do.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

Oh and I didn't even think of it until now, but why is a demon allied with some random dogs in the first place? <:mad:>
They're good boys showing the new recruit the ropes. He lied about his height.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, thanks! I think Dark Souls is a great game and well designed, but I do love learning more about its weird/sloppy/rushed development. Like somehow turning a mess into a work of art. It's neat!

It's true of the whole trilogy, there are a lot of really interesting bits and pieces pointing to reworks and cut content. I remember some 4chan "leak" shortly after Dark Souls 3 was announced that detailed some weird new mechanics, like being able to drag corpses around and sacrifice them create your own bonfires in custom locations. None of that was actually in the game and it seemed like bullshit when it came out, but later when people dug into the files it turned out there were actually animations for doing just that

edit: Perhaps this is true of most games though and people just obsess over Souls enough to dig it all up

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

goferchan posted:

edit: Perhaps this is true of most games though and people just obsess over Souls enough to dig it all up

Restricting lore discussion to dark souls is a way to avoid asking uncomfortable questions about the whole Mario/Daisy/Peach thing.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

goferchan posted:

It's true of the whole trilogy, there are a lot of really interesting bits and pieces pointing to reworks and cut content. I remember some 4chan "leak" shortly after Dark Souls 3 was announced that detailed some weird new mechanics, like being able to drag corpses around and sacrifice them create your own bonfires in custom locations. None of that was actually in the game and it seemed like bullshit when it came out, but later when people dug into the files it turned out there were actually animations for doing just that

IIRC some of their earlier promo material had stuff like that. In general the further you go along the FromSoft games the more you see weird stuff being cut for time or because it didn't pan out, but Dark Souls is I think their only game where you can really see the seams outside of some areas in Dark Souls 2, if you know where to look. It's just that the game has such a strong first impression that being able to tell what is and isn't supposed to be weird can be hard for a newcomer.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

goferchan posted:

The original DS3 trailer even shows the animation! There's also the whole "designed to be a stealth game" thing....

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If you look up how Dark Souls 2 differed from the promo material you're gonna find a lot of pictures of torches lol

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

FrickenMoron posted:

What if the souls were grey?

what if they were gay?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Tiny Timbs posted:

If you look up how Dark Souls 2 differed from the promo material you're gonna find a lot of pictures of torches lol

Doesn't help that DS2 also has Dark Troches as a consumable.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Benagain posted:

what if they were gay?

Disappointed there's no Gay Souls on the steam store.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Thanks for the other post about the cut content in the burg. That whole area felt weird and Capra's boss room is peak weirdness.

It's the dogs that are the real bosses of that fight. Capra solo is fine even in that cramped space once you get used to it, but the dogs are the true element of chaos/randomness with their ability to chain stagger you.

quote:

Yeah, that's pretty much where I sit. Though honestly I do think it's a lesser game in the series because of stuff like, well, the entire back half of the game for instance. But regardless I find it way more interesting to explore and interrogate all the weird, messy parts of it instead of placing it on some pedestal like a lot of folks do, or at least used to do.

Demons' Souls was a transformative game for me in that it got me to appreciate challenge for the eventual pay off being sweeter when you succeeded in a way I hadn't felt since I was much younger. I think Dark Souls is great because it does that but adds on this beautiful layer of minimalist and mysterious story telling, much of which is purely environmental (like how Anor Londo feels so much like an abandoned movie set than a real, lived-in place for example).

But agree with the criticisms of the back half of the game, especially Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith - which is a pity because there's so much lore/story telling that could have been done better there.

But DS1 also has Ash Lake and the journey down to it, letting you see the trees you saw in the intro video and rooting the world.

It takes a lot of risks in a way that none of the other games does and fucks some stuff up, but it's great that it took those risks in the first place.

E: I'm replaying Witcher 3 with the W3EE Redux mod and had to run that first, simple intro fight with the ghouls when you wake up in White Orchard next to Vesemir 3 times to get past it. But it didn't feel cheap, just that old Demons' Souls feeling of "there are things here you need to learn to play this game" so I ran it a few more times after getting past it, just to learn those things. Wouldn't have if not for the Souls games.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 15, 2024

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Murdered by caribou.... sent my Rimworld colonists to hunt them, and not only was everyone gored and trampled, the caribou saw my downed colonists trying to crawl away to safety and specifically came back and finished them off. :catstare:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

goferchan posted:

Youtubers have constructed entire careers out of mining lost and broken From game content. There's probably more stuff left on the cutting floor than many games but on the other hand, it's not all that often people are so thorough in peeking behind the curtain, like you said.

RPGs are particularly messy. The expansion for Baldur's Gate 2 was supposed to be an entire game. And then there's Dragon Age 2. God knows what they had planned.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 15, 2024

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

pseudorandom name posted:

The Capra Demon is the final part of the tutorial; its purpose is to teach you that when you get stuck you can go explore somewhere else and come back overleveled.

Can you actually get overleveled? Souls games always struck me as something you just get better at instead of dumping stats into something that makes you just steam roll past enemies.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Deakul posted:

Can you actually get overleveled? Souls games always struck me as something you just get better at instead of dumping stats into something that makes you just steam roll past enemies.
Sort of. Being able to take more hits and kill with less affects the boss difficulty quite a bit.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Deakul posted:

Yes.

Biggest threat from Capra is getting staggered by the dogs and he one shots you. With enough health you can take the hit and keep going.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I don't know about the Dark Souls games because I never got that far, but at least in Elden Ring, while you can keep leveling for a really long time, the returns become so diminished that your actual effectiveness does plateau, making it pointless.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

v1ld posted:

Thanks for the other post about the cut content in the burg. That whole area felt weird and Capra's boss room is peak weirdness.

It's the dogs that are the real bosses of that fight. Capra solo is fine even in that cramped space once you get used to it, but the dogs are the true element of chaos/randomness with their ability to chain stagger you.

It's always been so obvious to me. Like even at face value, no cut content taken into account (and there's even more, you pull a thread and all this poo poo tumbles out from it), you've got barred off passages that just terminate in darkness and those hilarious empty closets all the bandits are hiding in. And people say Dark Souls 2 is missing detail??

I regularly joke that the dogs are in charge and Capra is their minion. Might as well be true.

Deakul posted:

You absolutely can muscle past a lot of challenges with raw stats (or more realistically, weapon upgrades, or better weapons in general). Though over the course of the series how effective raw stats are vs. player skill did shift a bit.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

skeletronics posted:

I don't know about the Dark Souls games because I never got that far, but at least in Elden Ring, while you can keep leveling for a really long time, the returns become so diminished that your actual effectiveness does plateau, making it pointless.

Yeah, all the From games have soft caps for stats where they are less effective after a certain value. Capra is an early enough boss that it's not much of a factor.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In Capra's case it's more a lack of other stuff to do, or at least more convenient stuff to do, and not a lot of great places to farm souls if you wanted to go that route.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

StrixNebulosa posted:

On a non-souls topic though today I am designing a new religion in Rimworld and hmm

I could look at the lower impact values but: no

How can they be both cannibals and vegan?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Waffle! posted:

Tree Connection

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Waffle! posted:

I mean Bloodcourt and Pacifism/Vow of nonviolence doesn't really work either.

Nutsnatching also sounds like something that would break a Vow of nonviolence. :v:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

StrixNebulosa posted:

Murdered by caribou.... sent my Rimworld colonists to hunt them, and not only was everyone gored and trampled, the caribou saw my downed colonists trying to crawl away to safety and specifically came back and finished them off. :catstare:

Actually p interested in Rimworld again now that the newest DLC added children and families which always felt like something sorely missing for me.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
does Rimworld work well on Steam Deck? I have it and simply havent given it a whirl yet. The new DLC sounds great.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bumhead posted:

Genuinely, the only boss fights I legitimately remember from name alone, from the entire history of Souls games, are the poo poo ones and the ones designed to intentionally skill check you.

"What's your favourite Souls boss?" - no loving idea, my guy, gonna need some pictures or something. Wanna ask me about the ones that loving sucked though or that I banged my head against repeatedly trying to beat for 3 hours, sure, lets chat.

artorias is a loving banger boss fight. kalameet was dumb and manus was annoying but artorias was non-stop gas.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FPS Fest is on this week. Amid Evil, Black Mesa, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Cultic, Deep Rock Galactic, Doom, Dusk, Fashion Police Squad, Project Warlock, Serious Sam, Shadow Warrior, Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer, Superhot, and Turbo Overkill are all deeply discounted.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waffle! posted:

They're given permission by the dude they're eating to chow down

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Hwurmp posted:

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

What a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRjbXpAdoyY

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there are men who fear legends, but a man legends fear

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

I was really hoping Red Dead 2's success would push a new wave of western genre games, including a sequel for this one :sigh:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

For Taurus, there's concept art placing it in the Asylum as the tutorial boss instead of the Asylum Demon. Which tracks, because aside from Asylum Demon it's the only other boss you can do the fully animated plunge attack on. (Meanwhile Asylum Demon has its own bizarre and storied history.) Further evidence of why it doesn't belong on the wall is its propensity to jump off the arena to its death. Though ironically gravity has continued to plague subsequent games' bosses, even ones in ER.

For Capra, there's zero direct proof but people have dug up a neverending pile of cut content and development leftovers that point to large swaths of the early game being fundamentally different at one point and Lower Burg - and subsequently Capra - are at the nexus of a lot of it. For example, there was originally a bridge that took you straight from Firelink Shrine into the fortress wall across the valley, with the end point of that route being right beside the staircase under Capra's arena. You can even kinda tell in-game that something's weird because the geometry they used to block it off doesn't line up perfectly and makes no sound/sparks when struck. (This is also why the way you get to Lower Burg in the final game involves finding an arbitrarily placed key to open an arbitrarily placed door so you can go down a ladder and empty corridor, just to end up on the right side of the shortcut gate leading back to Upper Burg.) Another example, the entire "Butcher's House" setpiece interior that acts as the beginning of the Depths was originally an actual separate structure over by the Sunlight Altar that you'd enter by dropping in from above.

In both cases there's also no lore explanation for why two demons are randomly hanging around the Undead Burg, nor why Capra is in charge of the key to the sewers. The Capra fight also just plain doesn't work like any other one. No other boss is fought in such cramped quarters and very, very few other bosses have adds of any kind. With Taurus being the other exception that does both, funny that.

If you're interested in going down the deep, deep rabbit holes of Dark Souls cut content and how weird and sloppy Fromsoft actually are, I recommend Illusory Wall as a good starting point, though unsurprisingly there's many more channels that cover this stuff.

Edit: I feel like I should be extremely clear that basically 50% of it is hard evidence and then the other 50% is me extrapolating and making educated guesses off of that evidence. Occam's Razor says Capra is just a lovely, rushed boss in a game with other lovely, rushed bosses rather than some galaxy-brained genius game design choice.

Appreciate this breakdown. lol Capra Demon

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Here I am, looking forlornly at my RimWorld mod list of which 90% is broken, unusable or runs worse than before because of the latest patch.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

wizard2 posted:

does Rimworld work well on Steam Deck? I have it and simply havent given it a whirl yet. The new DLC sounds great.

Depends on how willing you are to use the trackpads and not complain about it. I think it works great, but many can't deal.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Actually p interested in Rimworld again now that the newest DLC added children and families which always felt like something sorely missing for me.

That was actually the last DLC, released a year and a half ago. The newest adds SCP, The Thing, zombies, and the Marker from Dead Space.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I feel dumb for procrastinating on getting Hitman for so long. Oh well,I will simply wait even longer.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Steam went weird on me yesterday, and out of the blue, while not playing any games and invisible, awarded me 3 achievements.

Digging through my library, I eventually found they were from Hell Let Loose, a game I haven't played since September.

:psyduck:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Velocity Raptor posted:

Steam went weird on me yesterday, and out of the blue, while not playing any games and invisible, awarded me 3 achievements.

Digging through my library, I eventually found they were from Hell Let Loose, a game I haven't played since September.

:psyduck:

can it give you the “don’t play the Stanley Parable for 5 years” achievement automatically like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
What are folks' thoughts on the SF6 World Tour? I've watched some videos on it, but came away a little uncertain. I generally don't play a lot of fighting games competitively but the light RPG mechanics made WT seem like it could be decently fun as a solo outing and the demo was reasonably charming... although I've heard the grind can make that charm outstay its welcome.