Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

CelticPredator posted:

The spear not working has to be canon bit about super earth weapons being complete rear end
"Why are a lot of the warbond weapons so mid/terrible" - it's because Super Earth is doing combat testing using Helldivers, and the data and feedback is sent back to the Ministry of Science (Warfare Division) to perform additional adjustments to the weapons

"Why is the railgun nerfed" - because the enemies of super earth realized that most of their casualties came from that weapon, and adapted to better protect against it.

All the in-game justification needed, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

That's the most damage a spear has ever done.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
As a card-carrying Spear Enjoyer I'm pretty sure the issue with cannon towers is that the "tower" is part of the terrain, not the entity, so if you're too far below the tower or too close to the base it obscures the aim point on the turret and isn't seen as a valid target.

I'm also 99% sure the "mark your target" thing is placebo effect.

The Blitzer doesn't arc the way the arc thrower or tower does. It just hits multiple targets to begin with.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

ponzicar posted:

I wonder if there's some sort of platform specific or host/client bug with the Spear. Because I have listened to the advice of Spear lovers and it still fails inexplicably. Just zero acknowledgements of any possible targets despite having a valid one in clear view at a range it has happily worked at before.

The devs have acknowledged that it's a bug they're working on, so at least we know it's not all user error. I want to like it, but at this point I will only bring it on bot blitzes to hopefully snipe a few fabricators at long range.

This is where I am right now too. It's a lousy weapon up close but it's great for disposing of turrets and fabricators, so if my goal is to do a ton of that in a short time, the Spear is a good tool.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Managed to land directly onto a hellbomb to start a mission last night
https://i.imgur.com/6XSS6Xr.mp4

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Lobok posted:

I don't know what it should do, but some kind of stratagem that required the full team to equip and then call in together would be so drat bro-tastic. The team's Super Destroyers hang out together so maybe a combined laser blast a la the Death Star, or a kind of vehicle/equipment that is modular and can be improved as players call in other pieces to combine.

You should be able to combine beams with the Laser Cannon like in Magicka for a more powerful beam

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Piell posted:

You should be able to combine beams with the Laser Cannon like in Magicka for a more powerful beam

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

what a strange trick

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sindai posted:

As a card-carrying Spear Enjoyer I'm pretty sure the issue with cannon towers is that the "tower" is part of the terrain, not the entity, so if you're too far below the tower or too close to the base it obscures the aim point on the turret and isn't seen as a valid target.

What I don't get is why the lock-on isn't just a time delay Quick Ping when Quick Ping works so well.

Hey, do you see that thing in the distance?
-Yes.
Can you tell me what it is?
-Of course.
And how far away?
-Obviously.
And since I pointed at it, I must have LOS right?
-Naturally.
Can you guide my missile at it?
-Whoa whoa buddy, just what kind of magical genie do you take me for?

Piell posted:

Conversely, crossing the arc thrower streams would be bad.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 15, 2024

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Piell posted:

Only if they add a another Laser Cannon in a different colour that leads to disastrous results if you cross the beams from the two

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Piell posted:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i want a sidearm version of the blitzer. just a little guy that fires out one zap at a rapid pace

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

causticBeet posted:

I want a stratagem that’s just “Pelican covering fire” where the Pelican just chills and follows you around for a bit like a big guard dog and shoots it’s auto cannon at stuff.

This is highly treasonous so do not attempt the below

Complete the main objectives, call down the eagle but be on the very edge of the area to stay within the evacuation zone circle. After the eagle is ‘landing’ leave the circle, no one else can enter the circle or the eagle will land. The eagle should be hovering and following you, yes unlimited democracy by autocannon turret in the sky.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i want a sidearm version of the blitzer. just a little guy that fires out one zap at a rapid pace

I honestly hope a little zappy sidearm arrives at some point and it's just this power tool looking thing on the table full of stuff that's already been teasing unreleased content :tinfoil:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

novaSphere posted:

I honestly hope a little zappy sidearm arrives at some point and it's just this power tool looking thing on the table full of stuff that's already been teasing unreleased content :tinfoil:

OMG! PLEASE put a melee weapon in the game that is just Helldivers running up and disassembling bots.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
On the subject of armors, speed, and such:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UpAYL79ifQ
Turns out that stamina stratagem might be more complex than we thought.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

At least until we get the APC/Jeep, stamina stratagem is the single best one anyone can take. Even then, probably going to find your jeeps and APCs get blown up easily.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The strategem I want to see is “Call Democracy Officer” where you report a teammate as a traitor and the endless barrage starts coming down around them, smiting your enemies.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

If you run out of the map bounds after the super destroyer leaves, does it still drop bombs on you?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dren posted:

The strategem I want to see is “Call Democracy Officer” where you report a teammate as a traitor and the endless barrage starts coming down around them, smiting your enemies.

When you get the traitor bombardment you can type in a very long stratagem to call up the ship and apologize, and if you can survive long enough to do it they'll halt the bombardment.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Video Nasty posted:

Managed to land directly onto a hellbomb to start a mission last night
https://i.imgur.com/6XSS6Xr.mp4
Thats one way to clear off the landing site.

Lobok posted:

Conversely, crossing the arc thrower streams would be bad.
Never cross the streams!!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fire fix being worked on

I knew purchasing the Enhanced Combustion module last night was the correct decision

https://i.imgur.com/yakAzBO.mp4

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I can appreciate that it will take Super Earth a good long while to authorise less flammable cape material as democratically acceptable.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

It's taking y'all two entire seconds to die from Hulk flames? Those are rookie numbers.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Reiley posted:

It's taking y'all two entire seconds to die from Hulk flames? Those are rookie numbers.
Seriously. I would be overjoyed if I had two seconds to try to put flames out. My next request is making it so the flame hulks arent completely silent when moving.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Apple Craft posted:

On the subject of armors, speed, and such:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UpAYL79ifQ
Turns out that stamina stratagem might be more complex than we thought.

tl;dw the stamina booster also increases footspeed (jog/sprint/aiming) in medium and heavy armor by a small amount :monocle:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I've never survived even being touched by a hulk flamethrower. I've just been treating it as an instant kill to be avoided.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I've repeatedly survived it - you just have to dive and then stim as soon as the big fella gets into flambé range (and pray you or someone else has an orbital railgun ready).

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

^^^ I'm fairly certain the flamethrower has some kind of dropoff as well. The closer you are to the flamethrower arm when you get caught in the flame, the quicker you die.

Reiley posted:

Finally I'm pro at something
https://i.imgur.com/5Hzyf1l.mp4

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I honestly think the flamer on the hulk is fine right now though?

I much prefer it to have a flamer and chainsaw thingy, instead of the crazy loving autocannon missile spec or whatever it is.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BadLlama posted:

I honestly think the flamer on the hulk is fine right now though?

I much prefer it to have a flamer and chainsaw thingy, instead of the crazy loving autocannon missile spec or whatever it is.
I get the same treatment as the post before yours so I completely disagree.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I feel like it has to be multiple hits of flame plume before the dot damage even really has a chance to tick away.

There have definitely been times where I got tagged and had time to dive and be fine, feels pretty much the same as walking over some fire on the ground and catching flame. In these instances you can dive and take very little damage, sometimes none at all! And I've even been surprised by not taking any damage from hulk flames when I was sure I got completely engulfed, so it might just be disjointed hit boxes.

Most of the time though my experience is right in line with that video. I'll go from full health and sprinting away to completely dead before I have the reaction time to look down at my health and see how fast it chips away. I've even been tagged and died instantly while in the air in the middle of a dive. So I'd bet their flame throwers act exactly like ours, there is both direct and over time damage. I wouldn't be surprised at all if proximity played a part, I don't have any recording but I suspect the times where it looked like I should have caught fire but didn't where times when I was at the limit of their range.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I get the same treatment as the post before yours so I completely disagree.

But the same thing happens but from across the map instead :(

VVV I just hate the barren loving planets where a fire storm sweeps through and apparently all the rocks are just flammable and sit there burning for ages.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

im fine with flame hulks being super dangerous, but it sucks when other forms of fire are just as instantly lethal

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BadLlama posted:

But the same thing happens but from across the map instead :(
Ya know, thats fair. I dont tend to get one-hit by rockets or laser barrages (because I am super proactive about using rocks and buildings to protect my Democracy loving rear end from bot/bug hatred) but it has happened. The laser/rocket versions I tend to know are there and do something about (hide, dodge, blow it up) but since the flame/chainsaw version are also quieter than ninjas in socks, I hate them more.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I am so bad at nailing skulls in the head with EATs I don't even try anymore.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

novaSphere posted:

tl;dw the stamina booster also increases footspeed (jog/sprint/aiming) in medium and heavy armor by a small amount :monocle:
I guess that explains why I don't feel slow at all in the medium explosion resist armor since I always have the booster.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

My next request is making it so the flame hulks arent completely silent when moving.

I know it’s a very loud game, but it’s a complete shock when you turn around and there’s a tank or hulk tapping your shoulder and saying hello

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
How many shots to the arm with the AC does it take to rip off the Hulks guns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Think its like 4 or 5. Not too many.