Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Don't sleep on how powerful having shield as a reaction as a tank is. I've run Laezel as an EK a few times and enjoyed having her as one for that alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
As much as Reactions can sometimes be too much bookkeeping, Shield does rule!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

shield is an absurdly powerful spell. it's a big part of why 1 fighter/1 wizard/10 sword bard kicks so much rear end too. i respecced out of throwbarb once I hit level 8, and now I have 23 base ac that goes up to 27 with upcast shield.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

you need a 4th stat for spells, and they're weak anyway, but you're still better than Champion

Champion is pretty awesome in Honour Mode, because bosses don't get to use their legendary abilities when they're flat on their backs for the entire fight.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

grack posted:

Champion is pretty awesome in Honour Mode, because bosses don't get to use their legendary abilities when they're flat on their backs for the entire fight.

the fun as hell debuffs in BG3 really drive home the fact in D&D, RPGs, video games, whatever, that it isn't sometimes the Big Bad stomping around like a badass that you have to watch out for, but the 10 Weenies on the sidelines casting Magic Missile

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I just realized I confused Battle Master with Champion

That said, high crit rate is pretty useful as well.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

grack posted:

i knew what you meant! haha

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

grack posted:

I was wondering what I was missing about Champion lol. Battle master does indeed whip rear end. So many effects you can apply, from melee or range, and you do a bunch of damage in the process, and they replenish on short rest. Also there's gloves in act 3 that give enemies disadvantage against your moves. Class rules.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

loving harpies ended honor mode. what an unbelievably lovely fight. at least it was quick

If you wait til lvl 3 to fight them, calm emotions from a cleric makes that fight waaay nicer

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

feller posted:

If you wait til lvl 3 to fight them, calm emotions from a cleric makes that fight waaay nicer

I dont know how it works in HM, but I like how they get really angry if you cast Silence on them and then gank em

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

feller posted:

Honestly, I didn't want to fight ANYTHING until level 4.

you can climb up the wall before the intellect devourer to avoid them. Talk to gale. Talk to Astarian. I do the Grove fight, but you can fly past it. disguise self into a female drow. Talk your way through the blight village, save the gnome, talk your way through the gate and temple.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

almost finished with act 2 on the solo hm run, so it's time to think about how to handle the big bad. i reached level 10 just before the shadowfell, moonrise is cleared including the roof, and i'm basically ready to saunter into the colony.

I need to figure out initiation. one way is to just walk in. this lets me bring a plethora of summons (7hp basket, 28hp connor, two 18hp mud mephits, a 126hp earth elemental, and a 19hp skeleton archer), with the downside that it makes freeing aylin and positioning eat a full turn. the other way is to forego summons, throw on buffs, chuck a potion of invisibility at scratch and drink one myself so the good boy can free aylin immediately while I position. i'm inclined to just barge in here because 200 hp worth of summons is a lot of sponge and will help quickly take out the mind flayer, necromites and intellect devourers.

ketheric himself isn't a big problem, but the apostle has resistance to piercing damage, which is very bad for my bow shooting control bard build, as is gaze of the dead. one fear and i'm probably dead. the only real solution i can think of here is to go 6 berserker/4 ek, which gives me fear immunity on rage and lets me weapon bind blood of lathander, as well as giving me action surge, two feats and longstrider on the summons. i won't be in range of his scythe or cold embrace, and they are attack rolls anyway. call of the damned is a str save, so cloud giant elixir already takes care of that. gaze of the dead is a con save, and while i'll have 18 con, it would be nice to have advantage, so i'll use the rare dark justiciar half-plate. i'll also try to get nightsinger's favor from the gauntlet of shar religion check for necrotic resistance, and pick up the radiant damage buff from rosymorn. my build would look something like this:

head: dark justiciar helm (+1 con save, +1 spell save).
cloak: cloak of protection.
armor: dark justiciar half-plate (16ac, advantage on constitution saves)
gloves: gloves of uninhibited kushigo.
amulet: amulet of the harpers (shield, advantage on wisdom saves).
ring 1: ring of flinging.
ring 2: ring of protection.
mainhand: blood of lathander.
offhand: adamantine shield (crit immunity).
ranged: bow of awareness.

anything I missed, brainfarted or could do better? I think I have most of his moves countered.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

well, that didn't quite work because I forgot weapons need the "thrown" tag to get throwing bonuses from TB, ring of flinging, etc., and the only bludgeoning weapons who have it before act 3 are light hammers that do 1d4 damage. lightning jabber still did the trick, though. was able to outrange his bone chill aura, save against every single thing he threw at me (one 6 damage finger of death was particularly funny), and control/outdamage his necromite heals. time for act 3. :toot:

i also forgot you don't immediately enter combat when you enter the room, so I had time to position and get scratch invis'd up and ready to free aylin. i should have just killed her for the armor and spear, but i really like the cutscene when you free her.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 16, 2024

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Zodium posted:

well, that didn't quite work because I forgot weapons need the "thrown" tag to get throwing bonuses from TB, ring of flinging, etc., and the only bludgeoning weapons who have it before act 3 are light hammers that do 1d4 damage. lightning jabber still did the trick, though. was able to outrange his bone chill aura, save against every single thing he threw at me (one 6 damage finger of death was particularly funny), and control/outdamage his necromite heals. time for act 3. :toot:

i also forgot you don't immediately enter combat when you enter the room, so I had time to position and get scratch invis'd up and ready to free aylin. i should have just killed her for the armor and spear, but i really like the cutscene when you free her.

Buy as much clown facepaint as possible in the circus

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

EorayMel posted:

Buy as much clown facepaint as possible in the circus

It very much bums me out that the clown face curse is part of the not getting the moon lantern or bell. https://bg3.wiki/wiki/A_Clown_in_Town_(Condition)

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Shwqa posted:

It very much bums me out that the clown face curse is part of the not getting the moon lantern or bell. https://bg3.wiki/wiki/A_Clown_in_Town_(Condition)

I am headed to Act 2 soon. I will take the curse, specifically for you.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Those webs look quite perilous and falling damage is a thing. Also be sure to find the blacksmith's recipe before you go to the underdark.

MariusLecter posted:

Funny thing happened when I fought the spider matriarch.

I engaged combat as I was in the act of destroying one of the web bridges with a melee attack so when I went into turn based mode I saw my Dragonborn fighter moving to the web bridge at the same time the matriarch dashed to get across it and then fall and take a massive hit of damage on impact below. And then either got immobilized somehow or bugged and made the encounter really easy. Also got the acheev for no eggs spawning hatchlings!

That was a fun fight but kind of anticlimactic.

I used the ranged "knock enemy back" attack and I thought it would knock the spider onto the level below, instead it knocked the spider into the bottomless pit. Instant kill. Hope they didn't have good loot lol.

Seems like the fight would be super hard without instagibbing the mama spider. Even dropping her down one level only does like 30 damage.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I used the ranged "knock enemy back" attack and I thought it would knock the spider onto the level below, instead it knocked the spider into the bottomless pit. Instant kill. Hope they didn't have good loot lol.

Seems like the fight would be super hard without instagibbing the mama spider. Even dropping her down one level only does like 30 damage.

The loot isn't great but you can still get it in the underdark

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

lol hell yeah. it is definitely one of the hardest wilderness fights, I should have done that instead of almost dying to her.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Floppychop posted:

And if you’re like me, you’ll also forget that you did this by the time you get down there and give yourself a nice jump scare.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Floppychop posted:

Also make sure you pick up the purple gem in the spider's lair which allows you to open the Necromancy book. Assuming you've found that :v: It's small and easy to miss.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just realized I was supposed to give the dowry ring back to the dude in the burning building and shouldn’t have vendored it. Took a while but I was able eventually find the vendor who still had it in their inventory. I love that I was able to get it back.

The only downside of vendors keeping all that stuff is when I go back I’m not sure what their good stuff is and what I had unloaded on them.

It’s my first playthrough and I’m constantly thinking I’m choosing the wrong equipment and end up standing at the vendor way too long with choice paralysis

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

I just realized I was supposed to give the dowry ring back to the dude in the burning building and shouldn’t have vendored it. Took a while but I was able eventually find the vendor who still had it in their inventory. I love that I was able to get it back.

The only downside of vendors keeping all that stuff is when I go back I’m not sure what their good stuff is and what I had unloaded on them.

It’s my first playthrough and I’m constantly thinking I’m choosing the wrong equipment and end up standing at the vendor way too long with choice paralysis

Buy everything that looks good. I never had money problems until some of the super expensive endgame gear in act 3, I just picked up all the random +1 weapons enemies drop and sold them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Snowy posted:

I had this exact same issue my playthrough. I not-so-quickly learned that there's very little in the game that if you miss is a huge deal, there's tons of options. Don't think too hard.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

LifeLynx posted:

Buy everything that looks good. I never had money problems until some of the super expensive endgame gear in act 3, I just picked up all the random +1 weapons enemies drop and sold them.

My tip for never worrying about money is that I highly recommend buying Dammon’s attitude up to 100 before you level up too high. I think by level 4 it only costs 800 gold (and even less at a lower level) to get him to 100 and if you’re concerned about money it WILL pay off in acts 2 and 3

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

My tip for never worrying about money is that I highly recommend buying Dammon’s attitude up to 100 before you level up too high. I think by level 4 it only costs 800 gold (and even less at a lower level) to get him to 100 and if you’re concerned about money it WILL pay off in acts 2 and 3

There's also the option of just stealing everything if you're worried about money. Either via pickpocketing or using the bag exploit to get everything if you have no morals like me on my second run.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I play on PS5 so none of the bag exploits work for me 😞

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think they finally killed all the bag exploits, unless there’s some new one I haven’t discovered yet.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

I think they finally killed all the bag exploits, unless there’s some new one I haven’t discovered yet.

I did it just the other day. Sell bag to vendor, open bag, put all their stuff in it, open a bag yourself, drag everything into that bag, close interface.

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018
If you sell items in a bag to a vendor do they then keep that bag with the sold stuff there? Might be a way of avoiding cluttering their inventory with loot.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Medullah posted:

I did it just the other day. Sell bag to vendor, open bag, put all their stuff in it, open a bag yourself, drag everything into that bag, close interface.

LOL Larian should just hang it up at this point. Bag tech too strong for their programming team.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

LOL Larian should just hang it up at this point. Bag tech too strong for their programming team.

It's probably not something they're really worried about investing too much time in, single player game where you could just install a mod to give you infinite gold and all.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Yeah, there's some technical complexity because you have to deal with multiplayer, but it's not like an auction house where people are going to rip each other off or anything so it's probably just not worth dealing with

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Also small tip for maximizing trading: have whoever has the highest charisma in the party talk to the merchants for a slight discount on stuff you buy and a slight bonus on stuff you sell. More relevant on higher difficulties when money is actually a problem.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

yep. buying up dammon's, mattis' and derryl in the myconid colony's attitudes is a no-brainer, especially since derryl becomes a great alchemy vendor once you retrieve the noblestalk, in addition to selling cloud giant elixirs, noblestalks and other good stuff. dammon and mattis can be done for 800 total if you don't level up before getting into the grove. dammon is available in all three acts, and all three appear in act 3.

edit: make sure you aren't shapeshifted when you do it, or remember what shape you were, since it'll only apply to that.

EorayMel posted:

Also small tip for maximizing trading: have whoever has the highest charisma in the party talk to the merchants for a slight discount on stuff you buy and a slight bonus on stuff you sell. More relevant on higher difficulties when money is actually a problem.

the discount is not slight, it's massive. caps out at -200% for ca. 15 persuasion and 100 attitude, and also applies to selling prices.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 17, 2024

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Medullah posted:

There's also the option of just stealing everything if you're worried about money. Either via pickpocketing or using the bag exploit to get everything if you have no morals like me on my second run.

Stealing from Volo when he in your camp is the best. He tries to complain about the theft to someone, but no one in camp cares, and then he accepts his fate. And as a plus, he hates you.

With the slight of hand ring, cat grace clothing and proficiency in slight of hand makes it pretty easy to steal all of his stuff every day/level up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shwqa posted:

Stealing from Volo when he in your camp is the best. He tries to complain about the theft to someone, but no one in camp cares, and then he accepts his fate. And as a plus, he hates you.

With the slight of hand ring, cat grace clothing and proficiency in slight of hand makes it pretty easy to steal all of his stuff every day/level up.

LOL between that and Withers absolutely not caring if you steal your gold back the camp is a high crime area.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

For another crime, you can just kill the shop vendor that sells the cat grace clothing. She is all by herself in the mountain area and she is a jerk. On honor mode, that is a saving of over 2,000 gold in act 1.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Shwqa posted:

For another crime, you can just kill the shop vendor that sells the cat grace clothing. She is all by herself in the mountain area and she is a jerk. On honor mode, that is a saving of over 2,000 gold in act 1.

I could be wrong, but I believe vendors don't have everything available as loot. You risk her not dropping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

She always has it. I’ve killed her in 9 playthroughs now