Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: loquacius)

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Some Guy TT posted:

i see so what youre saying is that steven king is the joe biden of mainstream horror fiction

I mean, I get what you're saying, but no, Stephen King has actually good novels of fiction before sucking poo poo late in life. So... Bernie? But he was inconsistent even in his best times. I don't know. It's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lifelong opponent of abortion promises to fight real hard for women everywhere (second term only)

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Programmer Humor posted:

lifelong opponent of abortion promises to fight real hard for women everywhere (second term only)

if you dont vote for him itll be a genocide on women

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Failing New York Times.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Nichael posted:

It's funny that no other Speaker did the "emiritus" bullshit by the way.

"The Democratic Caucus named her "Speaker Emerita".[54][55]"

speaker for the dead emerita

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/umichvoter/status/1779502621146972178

lol americans have the memories of hummingbirds.

whoa huge slam on hummingbirds outta nowhere here

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Some Guy TT posted:

whoa huge slam on hummingbirds outta nowhere here

hummingbirds actually have exceptional memory, they remember the locations of all the best nectar sources :3:

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Some Guy TT posted:

fondly remembering how disney decided that mulan was a problematic character because she outperforms her male coworkers by being good at lateral thinking and they fixed that and made the story feminist by giving her superpowers instead

Wait, what?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

hummingbirds actually have exceptional memory, they remember the locations of all the best nectar sources :3:

I love birds.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Wait, what?

In the live action movie she has chi powers from birth and just kicks everyone's asses, no climbing a pole with weights to be seen.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lmao, the age splits on that nyt poll:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

lol

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

In the live action movie she has chi powers from birth and just kicks everyone's asses, no climbing a pole with weights to be seen.

ya lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

What in the serial-killer hell is going on with the font used for CHILD here?

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1779915876663242951

lmao you wanna know what the increase was

quote:

The expanded CTC would have bumped up the credit's maximum per-child refund amount to $1,800, up from $1,600 in its current form.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Shageletic posted:

lmao

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The best part about the child tax credit that was somehow too expensive to pass would have cost 8 billion this year. I.e., less than half the aid amount for Israel.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Some Guy TT posted:

fondly remembering how disney decided that mulan was a problematic character because she outperforms her male coworkers by being good at lateral thinking and they fixed that and made the story feminist by giving her superpowers instead

this CLASSIC DISNEY movie could NEVER be made today because its TOO WOKE

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

ugh

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
$200 is better than zero last I checked. maybe try being thankful. :o:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Effort is material. Birthright is ideal.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I don't think the president has real any ability to control inflation. Trump cut taxes for rich people which is inflationary and prices and interest rates were lower. Biden cut the COVID era safety net and still got higher prices and rates. He does deserve to lose because of Gaza though.

uh he passed the inflation REDUCTION act. it’s been fixed. economy is back to where it was. spending is up even!

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

joepinetree posted:

The best part about the child tax credit that was somehow too expensive to pass would have cost 8 billion this year. I.e., less than half the aid amount for Israel.

we do this insane thing where we administer the welfare state through the tax system. my wife and I hosed up our withholdings (?) (maybe?) (i feel like we had this problem last year and fixed it!) and owed thousands of dollars at tax time. we got the child tax credit but it didn’t feel like we did because it got dwarfed by the big check we wrote to the government. feels like we might as well have got nothing at all.

conversely on years where we had large tax returns, we didn’t have that tax credit, yet it was as if we got paid nevertheless

its like welfare is supposed to be invisible, undetectable, certainly not anything the government can just *go and give* to people. actually its all just about how well my wife and i can do accounting. skill issue. go pay someone at H&R Block about it if you don’t like it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

time to attend every right wing protest and chuck
a rock at a cop from the crowd

oops the rule will not apply to such protests!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
if the government gives people help then that robs an innocent business of the chance to make money off those people

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Biden could have just leaned on the Fed to juice the rates like Trump spent all 4 years doing instead of this austerity bullshit

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Blockade posted:

What do these people think the point of the trolley problem is?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

[/url]

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Shageletic posted:

trump doubled from what it was under obama and biden only hiked trump's figure by 50 percent.

and then let it lapse, lol.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Strangelet Wave posted:

this CLASSIC DISNEY movie could NEVER be made today because its TOO WOKE

its extremely funny the extent to which these movies go out of their way to undermine any genuinely progressive messaging from the original versions in order to appease pedantic tumblr criticisms

my favorite is beauty and the beast which takes the shallow stockholm syndrome critique so seriously it turns beast into a pick up artist style douchebag because thats basically what beast becomes if you take the position that showing male character growth within the context of a romantic relationship is sexist

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

"Regardless of employment."

This means you want those providing those services to work for free.

You do realize what you are implying here, right?

Let's say you refuse to work and you're guaranteed all these services. Who pays so your HVAC is repaired because you broke it? Who pays because your water line needs to be repaired? Clean water means the water has to be filtered through a very complicated process, particles and bacteria are removed, and it needs to be transported. Who pays so your electricity works? Do you think there's some sort of magic electricity generator happening? What you're essentially asking is someone should work for free to provide you all of this.

The result is you get no one who wants to work, society collapses because these services aren't maintained and improved, and no one gets anything.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Strangelet Wave posted:

we do this insane thing where we administer the welfare state through the tax system. my wife and I hosed up our withholdings (?) (maybe?) (i feel like we had this problem last year and fixed it!) and owed thousands of dollars at tax time. we got the child tax credit but it didn’t feel like we did because it got dwarfed by the big check we wrote to the government. feels like we might as well have got nothing at all.

conversely on years where we had large tax returns, we didn’t have that tax credit, yet it was as if we got paid nevertheless

its like welfare is supposed to be invisible, undetectable, certainly not anything the government can just *go and give* to people. actually its all just about how well my wife and i can do accounting. skill issue. go pay someone at H&R Block about it if you don’t like it

:mods:

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Some Guy TT posted:

my favorite is beauty and the beast which takes the shallow stockholm syndrome critique so seriously it turns beast into a pick up artist style douchebag because thats basically what beast becomes if you take the position that showing male character growth within the context of a romantic relationship is sexist

Can you explain this a little more? Both the facile criticism, and what Disney actually did in response?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Automata 10 Pack posted:

the government can do price control by providing national options (ie government brand pepsi for $3 a twelve pack) or providing ration cards for pepsi to control demand. or they can do what nixon did and threaten to throw the owners of pepsi in prison if they tried to increase their price for a certain time period.

i mean, this is a ridiculous thing to do with pepsi. but you do it to the markets are that driving up inflation. like housing and rent.
president trump throw the pepsi co execs into prison

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

president trump throw the pepsi co execs into prison

if trump was serious about going to war with the deep state he would, unironically, have to address The Soda Pop Distributors

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the little ukraine
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1779882861778083881

https://twitter.com/KevorkAlmassian/status/1779829528233185348

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1779934887488651545

glenn!
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1780008056341832014

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Willa Rogers posted:

Boomers like Biden, Xers like Trump and millennials and zoomers don't like either

lol at democracy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Can you explain this a little more? Both the facile criticism, and what Disney actually did in response?

long version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpUx9DnQUkA

(i dont generally recommend lindsay ellis btw this is her only genuinely good video as far as i can tell)

short version

so stockholm syndrome as you may or may not know is the psychological theory that kidnapped people become sympathetic to their captors the theorys kind of bullshit (it almost certainly owes its legitimacy solely to patty hearst using it as a criminal defense) but its nonetheless on the surface level very applicable to the story of beauty and the beast because everyone knows that belle is taken captive by beast and falls in love with him and there was a time when stockholm syndrome was this cool hip thing that all the smart people know about hence how this became a cool edgy critique of this childrens cartoon

if you remember anything that actually happens in the movie of course it very quickly falls apart belle heroically offers herself in exchange as a hostage for her father whose original crime is not in dispute additionally the ambiguity of beasts character is like the whole driver of the second act by the end of which its clearly established that hes not terrifying people on purpose because he has asides where he expresses remorse and regrets over his overreaction and lack of self control and its also pretty clearly implied he has issues with self hatred and only agrees to the exchange at all because he knows his servants are also on the hook for the curse

the disney remake removes the asides under the assumption that theyre stockholm syndromesque conditioning but this toxically affects beast because now instead of showing belle the library because he has a eureka moment on his lonesome and realizes shed probably like the library and he wants to do something nice for her instead the idea and the introduction happen in the same scene so he just looks like a pimp showing off consequently belle also doesnt teach him how to read in the live action version because women teaching men to do things is sexist so instead hes just a jackass whos already smugly just as good at reading as she is

the bigger broader failure of the live action version that it turns the townspeople into sympathetic characters by also making them victims of the curse this completely changes the tone of the final act from gaston being a charismatic demagogue whipping the crowd into a kneejerk frenzy to him just being a weird...kindof...guy??? who noone really even likes all that much which is very much against the tone of the original which very unsubtly emphasizes that men should be judged according to their motivations not their competency in projecting a good public image which doesnt necessarily have anything to do with whether theyre actually a good person this was a very common third wave feminist idea and you can really see how the fourth wave shifted the conversation that this became toxic but that having gastons sidekick be gay (maybe???) is enough to make him sympathetic too when as gastons hype man hes arguably even more dangerous than gaston himself

twitter size version

https://twitter.com/embernic/status/1773069759996719277

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Nichael posted:

lmao

not quite as egregious as what we do to a lot of people, but it's very rich when we bitch about NK or China locking people up for essentially symbolic crimes. meanwhile, we give a dude in his 60s multiple years for being rude to the speaker margarita. he's fortunate he wasn't black though, otherwise the capital murder squad would've outright killed him.

yup lol

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

long version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpUx9DnQUkA

(i dont generally recommend lindsay ellis btw this is her only genuinely good video as far as i can tell)

short version

so stockholm syndrome as you may or may not know is the psychological theory that kidnapped people become sympathetic to their captors the theorys kind of bullshit (it almost certainly owes its legitimacy solely to patty hearst using it as a criminal defense) but its nonetheless on the surface level very applicable to the story of beauty and the beast because everyone knows that belle is taken captive by beast and falls in love with him and there was a time when stockholm syndrome was this cool hip thing that all the smart people know about hence how this became a cool edgy critique of this childrens cartoon

if you remember anything that actually happens in the movie of course it very quickly falls apart belle heroically offers herself in exchange as a hostage for her father whose original crime is not in dispute additionally the ambiguity of beasts character is like the whole driver of the second act by the end of which its clearly established that hes not terrifying people on purpose because he has asides where he expresses remorse and regrets over his overreaction and lack of self control and its also pretty clearly implied he has issues with self hatred and only agrees to the exchange at all because he knows his servants are also on the hook for the curse

the disney remake removes the asides under the assumption that theyre stockholm syndromesque conditioning but this toxically affects beast because now instead of showing belle the library because he has a eureka moment on his lonesome and realizes shed probably like the library and he wants to do something nice for her instead the idea and the introduction happen in the same scene so he just looks like a pimp showing off consequently belle also doesnt teach him how to read in the live action version because women teaching men to do things is sexist so instead hes just a jackass whos already smugly just as good at reading as she is

the bigger broader failure of the live action version that it turns the townspeople into sympathetic characters by also making them victims of the curse this completely changes the tone of the final act from gaston being a charismatic demagogue whipping the crowd into a kneejerk frenzy to him just being a weird...kindof...guy??? who noone really even likes all that much which is very much against the tone of the original which very unsubtly emphasizes that men should be judged according to their motivations not their competency in projecting a good public image which doesnt necessarily have anything to do with whether theyre actually a good person this was a very common third wave feminist idea and you can really see how the fourth wave shifted the conversation that this became toxic but that having gastons sidekick be gay (maybe???) is enough to make him sympathetic too when as gastons hype man hes arguably even more dangerous than gaston himself

twitter size version

https://twitter.com/embernic/status/1773069759996719277

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/1780015492075315524?t=dsVK92J6KmByAaUaPkWpig&s=19