Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Collector's Cage came in big for me at the pre-release. I played like poo poo though. But it seems like a decent card, especially when you get something like 6 mana on it. Love to pay 1 mana for a +1/+1 counter at instant speed, and get a Back For More for free!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i got the special art stoneforge mystic so honestly i won just from that :v:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is there anywhere online where you can paste your card collection in and it spits out a commander deck for you?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

bowmore posted:

Is there anywhere online where you can paste your card collection in and it spits out a commander deck for you?

No. (And I'm assuming you mean after you tell it which commander you want to use?)

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Doesn’t edhrec give a pretty good starting point? It doesn’t do exactly that, but you pick a commander and what overall archetype you are going for and it gives you a rather large list of synergistic cards based on what other people are playing.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I think goldfish has that as a premium feature?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

bowmore posted:

this thread

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The commander thread

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks crew

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape
Went 0-3 at the prerelease, but most games were close, and each match was split 2-1. The set overall is a lot of fun.

Only real downside is the bonus sheet. I think with the switch to play boosters there isn’t really a point in having a bonus sheet, and having one that’s specifically all bombs for only one of the sets archetypes seems pretty unbalanced.

Several people were wearing cowboy hats. Was a pretty fun environment compared to other sets. White having a “cow puns” subtheme is a bonus.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

generatrix posted:

I think with the switch to play boosters there isn’t really a point in having a bonus sheet

It's only partially for the draft experience, it's also a good place for WOTC to put reprints.

vvv It's the second set to have play boosters

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 15, 2024

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Great set, terrible idea to have the first play boosters ever be associated with the big score mess.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Haven't had a chance to play it myself yet, but from checking out the early access vids, looks like this is MOM 2.0 where the rare/mythics are abundant and almost everything is playable. Looking forward to it!

Skeptical about Mounts, as traditionally things that require you to both have more cards and tap your stuff down is a hell of a cost. Vehicles also turning into artifacts is such great protection for them against board wipes and sorcery removal.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think saddle should be viewed less like crewing a vehicle and more like an improvement on the enlist mechanic from dominaria united

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Edit:^^^^ are you making GBS threads me :mad:

Mount is less crew and more Enlist, except good

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I feel like mounts are more comparable to Enlist, but better, since the mounting creature can have summoning sickness. You don't usually get power from saddling a creature, but at least in limited it's usually worth it.

edit: apparently this is not a hot take

A Moose fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 15, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Haha. I shall mentally think of mount more like enlist, noted.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Skeptical about Mounts, as traditionally things that require you to both have more cards and tap your stuff down is a hell of a cost. Vehicles also turning into artifacts is such great protection for them against board wipes and sorcery removal.

I don't think Mounts are A-tier or anything, but it feels like the payoff is generally worth it if you have some of the uncommon enablers. I don't think it'll be an overly drafted archetype and it'll be easy to tell whether or not it's open.

Being able to turn on trample or pump my flying lifelinker, or even just having hexproof mounts on my turn all felt impactful. The power ceiling is high enough that there are definitely some games where mounts are outclassed on their own though.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

from watching the arena streamer event, and 1 pre-release, I kinda like mounts. if nothing else, it looks like they create some interesting decisions. Should you attack when you wouldn't normally just for the attack trigger? Will your opponent make a bad trade just to remove your mount? Are combat tricks higher priority when drafting mounts?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The mercenary token so many cards make is also good for mounts.

The saddle effect is probably better than +1/0.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Calamity, Galloping Inferno fuckin whipped rear end at prerelease and was a big part of carrying me to 3-0. Hitting with both haste and throwing two attacking tokens of an already existing midrange creature on the board was consistently an insane haymaker. Pairing it with that bird that taps for two mana to cast mounts ruled.

Gumdrop Larry fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 15, 2024

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

There are quite a few mounts that look potentially Standard playable, compared to one enlist card (Guardian of New Benalia). I’ve always thought Keldon Flamesage was super cool, though, and wish it had slightly more pushed stats or enough keywords to see some constructed play. It really seems like they learned from that card missing for the mounts, with the constructed targeted ones either having haste or doing more on their own.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Enlist requiring a non-summoning sick creature is what ruined it, saddle is way better in that regard alone

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

I went 1-2 at my first live prerelease in a decade, 4-4 in total games. My pool wasn't very strong (2 good green rates/mythical but only 5 other mostly bad green cards, so I ended up on RBU tempo) but had a lot of removal. All 4 games I lost my opponents played that crazy Rhino dude that gives people tokens. Most games I could kill him immediately or on my turn, but it took up an instant removal slot and all my mana, killing my momentum, or my opponent dropped another dude to get double stats thanks to plot. Plus they had other bombs.

Train robbery is a wicked card, at least. Don't know if it is constructed playable but the first two modes won me games.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm watching some early access stuff and Slickshot Show-Off is gonna end up banned in Standard right? Because this card is insane. May be the safest card to craft on Arena I've ever seen in a new release.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Mike N Eich posted:

I'm watching some early access stuff and Slickshot Show-Off is gonna end up banned in Standard right? Because this card is insane. May be the safest card to craft on Arena I've ever seen in a new release.

Its still a creature that has to make it through an attack and requires a ton of deck building. So, i doubt it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's definitely a boon for rdw. But I don't think it makes the deck unbeatably good.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
No idea what today's metas are like but a kiln fiend that trades +1 power for haste, flying, the ability to be plotted, and triggering on noncreature over just instant or sorcery seems pretty slick.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Like, swiftspear is a nuts card and this is two swiftspears strapped together. it's very good. I just don't think it will get banned.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The flying is maybe even better than it being plot. I also seeing it makes its mark in pioneer maybe in the phoenix deck that is already very good.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

IDK, doesn't seem like the kind of card they ban. When was the last time a creature that was just really good at attacking and dealing damage got banned in any format? I guess Swiftspear in Pauper, but nothing else is coming to mind.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

fadam posted:

IDK, doesn't seem like the kind of card they ban. When was the last time a creature that was just really good at attacking and dealing damage got banned in any format? I guess Swiftspear in Pauper, but nothing else is coming to mind.

Before that, Hogaak.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

Before that, Hogaak.

:hmmyes: I will allow it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

Before that, Hogaak.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
You can raise Swiftspear's toughness by casting cheap answers like Bolts and Shocks. Slickshot is much more vulnerable to Bolts and Disfigures. Don't underestimate the protective application of Prowess.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

AngryBooch posted:

You can raise Swiftspear's toughness by casting cheap answers like Bolts and Shocks. Slickshot is much more vulnerable to Bolts and Disfigures. Don't underestimate the protective application of Prowess.

Prowess also turns a lot of potential trades into chumps, but I guess this has flying so that isn't as much of a factor here.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I could definitely see an izzet aggro deck emerging from the upcoming rotation. Balmor's a threat that's been waiting for the right shell for a long time and I think it may happen.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Not sure if it's so good it'll get banned, but RDW already uses abundant instant and sorceries, with Monstrous Rage + Monastery Swiftspear already makes big swings on a good hand. The extra evasion and double prowess are gonna be brutal.

Will be interesting if it warps what that deck looks like, enjoyed Jim Davis's take where he splashed green for the instant 1 cmc indestructible cards. Excited to try it out in a Double Strikers deck I've got built around Angelfire Ignition.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
You can already get a turn two or three kill if you get a good hand with the Proliferate goblin, can't you? Slickshot will definitely be annoying, and you'll probably see him a lot in Izzet Phoenix, but I don't think he's bannable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Justin_Brett posted:

You can already get a turn two or three kill if you get a good hand with the Proliferate goblin, can't you? Slickshot will definitely be annoying, and you'll probably see him a lot in Izzet Phoenix, but I don't think he's bannable.

Cacophony Scamp can do a T3 kill, assuming correct hand draw and your Op doing Nothing. It can still hit for half it's potential damage for the turn if it gets killed before attacking with it's death trigger too, unlike Slickshot which just dies. So yeah, just Interact