Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The only clothing I wear to rep is whatever is given to me so today I'm repping Happy Hour creative which I'm pretty sure no longer exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Jewmanji posted:

Part of it is this assumption that people who are struggling with mental illness have a greater propensity for violence than any other demographic which is a pretty harmful stereotype. I haven't seen the movie since it came out so I can't remember this very clearly but I remember having the distinct impression that the riot at the end was supposed to somehow be evocative of Occupy Wall Street in a way that colored leftists as violent and anarchic in the same way that Fox likes to depict the George Floyd protests.

You're thinking of The Dark Knight Rises.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Jewmanji posted:

Part of it is this assumption that people who are struggling with mental illness have a greater propensity for violence than any other demographic which is a pretty harmful stereotype. I haven't seen the movie since it came out so I can't remember this very clearly but I remember having the distinct impression that the riot at the end was supposed to somehow be evocative of Occupy Wall Street in a way that colored leftists as violent and anarchic in the same way that Fox likes to depict the George Floyd protests.

The movie portrayed Fleck as resorting to violence after being beaten down and neglected continuously. He's sympathetic in the beginning because of his mental illness, and his first act of violence is portrayed as self defense. We had already seen him being a passive victim of violence once before that.

As far as the riots go, violence being the result of socioeconomic inequality, corruption, and neglect is a reality.

Before the movie came out, there was a lot of handwringing about the movie inspiring violence by those already marginalized. I feel like discussion before most people saw the movie impacted a lot of interpretations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Except Mosfilm and maybe Golden Harvest imho

:hmmyes:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/cineclubcl/status/1778270335093150187?t=hxH-w6sf6AtUGnapFEhGTA&s=19

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

looks better than i expected and i expected it to look amazing

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Smells like it’s ai generated

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
top half of this list is cursed

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cassian of Imola posted:

Yeah, everything about this film appeals to me except for the cast.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Smells like it’s ai generated

uhh, nice production studio

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Phew!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Loooool

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Now that viewer expectations went through the roof thanks to this ai generated teaser, all eyes are on Mr Eggers to deliver.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cassian of Imola posted:

Nope

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

the fake Nosferatu trailer prompted me to go back and watch the trailer for The Lighthouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyag7lR8CPA

man that movie kicked rear end

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Anne Frank Funk posted:

uhh, nice production studio

[Sees Orlock typing prompts into AI video generator and wags finger at him] Nosferatu!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

victorian damsel, lowcut dress, long neck, big veins, huge veins, sexy jugular

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ehud posted:

the fake Nosferatu trailer prompted me to go back and watch the trailer for The Lighthouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyag7lR8CPA

man that movie kicked rear end

It was the last film I saw in theater before lockdown, which was the kind of serendipity I hope not to repeat.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Last one I saw was the Elizabeth Banks Charlie's Angels

Which sucks, if everyone in the world's life didnt change right after, I'd never remember that movie going experience

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 14, 2024

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

https://youtu.be/wtVSWnofryc?si=Jc6H3NB9opeonSgv

I never heard of any of the people in this nor the production company but it showed up randomly on my YouTube feed and it seems interesting?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

It was the last film I saw in theater before lockdown, which was the kind of serendipity I hope not to repeat.

Don't go watch Civil War then

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

Don't go watch Civil War then

And they absolutely need to stay away from Godzilla x Kong.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Brilliant advertising

https://youtu.be/es1pFnq_VJ4?si=KRROO5yHQ57TtKtD

https://youtu.be/dkcrNh9XSSw?si=G9yMonO0w0ZXT5wN

https://youtu.be/yfkbnbILoiE?si=btKeXjdqF9bzA5kk

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

kiminewt posted:

https://youtu.be/wtVSWnofryc?si=Jc6H3NB9opeonSgv

I never heard of any of the people in this nor the production company but it showed up randomly on my YouTube feed and it seems interesting?

The lead in this was the co-star and writer of Bottoms which was really funny.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sir Kodiak posted:

And they absolutely need to stay away from Godzilla x Kong.

No a kaiju fight would be spectacular and cool and Godzilla is our angry friend so I think it’ll be okay

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Cassian of Imola posted:

I'm guessing Timothy Chalamet was busy?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I haven't liked Aaron Taylor-Johnson in anything, but the others are fine? I'm kind of willing to trust Eggers to get good performances from them at least. And of course Dafoe and Ineson loving rule.

Given that it's a fan trailer, I fairly sure they hosed up the billing order.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Chemtrailologist posted:

I'm guessing Timothy Chalamet was busy?

I know Anya Taylor-Joy was, and that's why Eggers got Lily-Rose Depp :-/

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

Cassian of Imola posted:

I was about to say I really liked this cast, athough I dont think ive ever seen lily rose depp is anything.

But then I realized t didnt say anya taylor joy at the top

Either way, I completely trust Eggers. A lot of actors I never liked have surprised me before, with the right directors.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Eggers doesn't miss.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Northman was absolutely a miss for me, but I'm looking forward to this one.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Northman was really cool. Viking raids, valheim like crypts, hot people, and volcano battles.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Northman was terrific. I also do not feel the need to ever revisit it, and don't think it was particularly remarkable, but I had a great time with it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Lizard Combatant posted:

:same: but also lol but also :same:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Lizard Combatant posted:

my buddy called it "Nordic Lion King" lmao

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Northman was great. We should give Eggers another $150 million to make whatever

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

toggle posted:

my buddy called it "Nordic Lion King" lmao

well he's literally called hamlet

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I like vibe movies just fine, but Northman was pretty plotty and it could only function if every character was a complete idiot. Some truly painful dialogue as well.

It's like it didn't know what it wanted to be, an epic poem or grounded, and not doing a great job of either.

The knattleikr game is the only time the film feels like it knows what it's doing.

But he's earned enough goodwill that I'll still go see Nosferatu blind.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 16, 2024

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Northman was definitely a misfire but it was so clearly a case of Eggers clashing with studio money that you kind of have to give him a pass

my bigger issue is him doing Nosferatu after it already has one of the greatest remakes of all time. just isn't that exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It'll be such an incredibly high bar to clear. Impossible standard really. How is Eggers gunna convince an actor not to blink for every take?! Pretty sure Kinski volunteered for that!