Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Endman posted:

At the end of 2023 around 1.8 million Americans were incarcerated.

As far as I know, there's no good number on how many Soviet citizens were incarcerated for any given year of Stalin's tenure. Most of the numbers given are for the entirety of his time in office, and they vary wildly because it's such a politicized statistic.
That's also not counting all former/rolling incarcerated too, and it's even worse when looking at probation. It's no overstatement to say that US has been the most evil imprisonment and punitive state in history of empires, and it's not even remotely close.

one key different in the politicized sphere is that america locks up poors n brown people class whereas the ussr 'purge' (lmao) was hardly a purge as used in the western lexicon and mostly affected richer landlord and liberals, but moreso in 'hey go away and dont come back' than actually locked up the way US locks people up for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Wikipedia on Gulags posted:

The 1931–32 archives indicate the Gulag had approximately 200,000 prisoners in the camps; while in 1935, approximately 800,000 were in camps and 300,000 in colonies.[61] Gulag population reached a peak value (1.5 million) in 1941, gradually decreased during the war and then started to grow again, achieving a maximum by 1953

I wonder if anything was happening around 1940 that would cause the prison population in the USSR to swell dramatically?

Its probably just because Stalin hated freedom

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Stalin ftw

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The US carceral system makes a lot more sense when you just see it as an extension of slavery and indentured servitude from the colonial period.

The United States just doesn't seem able to function without a large, unpaid (or incredibly lowly paid) underclass of labourers.

It's just that these days it has several layers of opaque bureaucracy built over the top of it, disguising it from immediate view.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Since 1991 this has been a huge fight, since Thraceology, and the study of Thrace and Dacia generally, have been dismissed as "a Communist plot" that distracts from the pure, Roman, origin of the Romanian nation. Seriously, anything other than the nationalist mythology is attributed to Ceaușescu's plot to weaken the Romanian nation's connection to the west. There are some insane chapters on it buried in the most boring antiquities monographs you can imagine, but that's the gist.

Romanian nationalists have started promoting ideas that haven't been seen since the 1870's about Romanians being purely descended from Roman colonists, Romanian as the most pure surviving form of Latin etc etc.

It's even more complicated these days, because both Romania and Bulgaria were liberated from Johnny Turk thanks to the Russian Empire and Pan-Slavism, while the West (Britain and France) actively supported the Ottomans, so there's been another layer of historical revision and nationalism on top of that.

Basically trying to read anything about the history of Romania and Bulgaria will drive you crazy since the one-two punch of nationalists and liberal NGOs took power after 1991, and particularly after EU ascension. Both countries sent contingents to Iraq and Afghanistan as part of deal too, if anyone forgot.

This means that you generally can't read (in English) about :
- the region in classical antiquity, except for Greek and later Roman, colonies.

- the region in late antiquity except as a place the Goths, Avars, etc. passed through without polluting it with their un-Roman blood, and Saints' Vitae, which I enjoy reading but others may find boring

- the region in the Early Middle Ages, depending on how much the author sees Bulgaria as the true inheritors of Rome compared to the Byzantines (a real narrative that's taken hold, in part because if Russia is the Third Rome, Bulgaria is actually the second, also they don't like Greeks)

- the Middle Ages except for the Ottoman yoke, and how they were betrayed to the Turk by (neighbouring ethnic group) and that's why they lost the Battle of (destructive battle that ended their independence)

- the Early Modern Era, except for the national awakening as the sons of the forest slit the throats of Turkish dogs (never mind that Bulgaria was known as "a nation of minarets". Where did all of those Muslim people come from and where did they go? Certainly not "native Bulgarians" and "ethnic cleansing", next question.)

- The Modern Era, because the Russians definitely didn't fight their wars for them, liberate them out of Pan-Slavism or Pan-Orthodoxy, in fact that's being rewritten to be about Russian imperialism now, which is kind of loving insane

- WW1 (Guess who fought on which side and why)

- WW2 (Guess who fought on which side and why)

- 1945-1989

Basically, unless you are interested in the birth and consolidation of Western Liberal Democracy and the national awakening when freed from the dirty Russians, good loving luck. You'll have to scrounge for out of print books from 1965.

There's also Dracula

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
I hate Draculas...

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Extremely random, but are there any good sources debunking the death toll in the construction of the white sea canal?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Anyway, genetic analysis is all over the place and generally it seems a mix of a pre-existing Iron Age population with genes from across the Balkans and then a lot of later Slavic and some Turkic influences.

Admittedly, it was possible in around 500 AD there some degree of ancestry from Roman legionaries and then it gets mostly push aside by later groups.

Hungarians btw only have a quite a small amount of Uralic blood at this point as well.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Endman posted:

The US carceral system makes a lot more sense when you just see it as an extension of slavery and indentured servitude from the colonial period.

The United States just doesn't seem able to function without a large, unpaid (or incredibly lowly paid) underclass of labourers.

It's just that these days it has several layers of opaque bureaucracy built over the top of it, disguising it from immediate view.

My wife is reading a book called The Injustice of Place that posits that extreme poverty in the US is the legacy of internal resource extraction colonies. Basically the experience of the plantation belt or coal country is closer to a South American resource colony than one of America's urban cores.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

the only problem with the "purges" was that they didn't work. you can quibble with particular targets among the old bolshies or whatever, but i think that's more likely because they weren't extensive and thorough enough than the opposite

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I'd be curious about what happened to people after they left the gulag system. An important component of the American carceral state is that once someone enters the system they tend to be hosed for life and trapped in low wage positions. Did the gulags actually rehabilitate and return Soviet citizens to relatively prosperous positions?

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

https://t.me/DDGeopolitics/107811

quote:

🇨🇿🇺🇦 As part of its initiative, the Czech Republic has already signed contracts to supply 180,000 artillery shells to Ukraine and is currently working on contracting another 300,000. Czech Prime Minister Petr Fiala wrote about this in a column for the Financial Times ahead of his visit to Washington.

💬 "We are working to obtain another 300,000 shells, and contracts have already been signed for the first 180,000. They will be delivered to the Ukrainian front in the coming months," Fiala wrote.

🐻 Remember when the Czech President said they found 800.000 shells and they will soon be delivered to Ukraine. Well seems like that was a bunch of bulls*it.

🔴 @DDGeopolitics

Maybe the checks didn't clear.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

:rimshot:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nix Panicus posted:

I'd be curious about what happened to people after they left the gulag system. An important component of the American carceral state is that once someone enters the system they tend to be hosed for life and trapped in low wage positions. Did the gulags actually rehabilitate and return Soviet citizens to relatively prosperous positions?

referring once again to Losurdo's "Stalin"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I think the greatest refutation of the 'Great Terror' story is how much of the Soviet population, in Russia, Ukraine, and the other SSRs, gave their all in defense of the Soviet Union during WW2. They persevered under unimaginable duress and banded together to crush the nazis.

Compare and contrast to modern Ukraine, where despite propaganda working overtime to frame the invasion as a genocide they can't fill their ranks only two years in

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
abby martin and jacobin put out this video about NATO recently. could be useful to send to people as an intro to gladio and the general cspam understanding of recent history. some things are much more palatable coming from a hot white woman with archival footage instead of a podcast guy with an annoying voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfSS-dzucsU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Endman posted:

yep, this realization of it being a single through-line from slavery to now is what initially zapped me from libtardation.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Endman posted:

I mean you aren't wrong it's an extension.

However, the actual "economic value" of an incarcerated underclass is actually pretty small, it really doesn't produce that much value for the plutocrats and it's a relatively small cottage industry of exploitation overall. much more importantly rather is the carceral state, coupled with the police state (and these two are irrevocably intertwined and fully-coupled), provide the most important utility which is labor suppression/discourage retribution against the plutocracy to make sure people don't get too uppity and get any funny ideas like [redacted].

there's also a reason why homeless exists because it's important to demonstrate to the masses that: a) the bottom of the barrel is always deeper, and b) if you get any funny ideas you'll get thrown into the barrel. it's to encourage a sort of socioeconomic stasis to be happy with the treats/wage you have

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Homeless Friend posted:

yep, this realization of it being a single through-line from slavery to now is what initially zapped me from libtardation.

it must be destroyed or nobody will ever be safe or free
and if you disagree you are bitchmade & in dental about it pussy get ya teeth fixed before ur eyes then your brain in that order then come fight me in this post no items

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
He'll yeah

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lots of good replies to this post in the israel/palestine thread.

madmatt112 posted:

ok hi I’m back like a dumbass but I’m in it now.
I would say that I do concern myself with motivation and not just aggression by itself. What I’m trying to say is that I know I’m missing some huge chunk of recent (ish) history or dynamics between these two countries / peoples because so many of the people whose opinions and reasons I agree with and respect on this here website are opposite of me when it comes to Ukraine. I know well that my Ukraine opinion is shared by far and away the majority of western shitlibs, I’m not so stupid as to think I’m so unique in my ideas.

And so, I’m asking if anyone could help me understand or just gesture vaguely towards some… resource or reading or something. idk. I really am being earnest that I want to know what I’ve missed. I understand that I’m a product of my western media ecosystem and I try hard to find ways out of the gigantic imperial capitalist propaganda machine.

I’m sorry if this is v v much the wrong thread, I brought it up here because I see semi-regular references to/comparisons of Russia/Ukraine itt and because the Ukraine thread seems to be pretty slanted against Russian narratives and toward Western ones - figured my question wouldn’t get much response there besides being called an orc.

don't clog up that thread with replies tho

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
if madmatt is checking this thread I'll put a few quotes from the last time someone asked this question:

You can start from the first one and just look through the stuff that people wrote and you'll get a pretty good overarching perspective of why it's bad to support nazis even if they're ukranian.

Flournival Dixon has issued a correction as of 06:08 on Apr 16, 2024

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: Kyiv Independent

https://kyivindependent.com/the-counteroffensive-a-look-at-the-russian-militarys-war-dolphins/

The Counteroffensive: A look at the Russian military's war dolphins
Alessandra Hay
April 15, 2024 2:34 PM
6 min read

In a country at war, death is all around. But Pavel Goldin is focused on a particular kind of collateral damage: an aquatic mammal he's spent much of his life studying.

“Please report all known finds of dead dolphins!” reads a recurring post on a Facebook page he runs.

After locating a dead dolphin, Goldin performs a necropsy if the carcass is intact to try to determine the cause of death and learn more about how and why so many of Ukraine's dolphins are dying.

According to some estimates, 37,500 to 48,000 Black Sea dolphins died in the three-month period after the full-scale invasion started. This figure amounts to around 15-20% of the sea's total dolphin population and a death rate that is 10 times higher than before February 2022.

“The (Black Sea's dolphin) population simply cannot withstand that type of death rate,” explained Naomi Rose, an expert on marine mammals in captivity.

The ecological impact of the war highlights the vulnerability of aquatic animals to the bombings and mines that have become common along Ukraine's coastal areas.

Russian forces moved trained dolphins to a harbor at the entrance of Sevastopol in occupied Crimea at the start of the full-scale war.

Satellite imagery from June 2023 showed that the number of dolphins in the harbor almost doubled. The U.K. Defense Ministry reported that "trained marine mammals" were added to the Russian military's defenses. Russia also reportedly moved dolphins to another naval base northwest of Sevastopol.

The dolphins are likely used to patrol the area looking for Ukrainian divers sent to spy, to protect ships against Ukrainian divers planting mines attached by magnets, and to collect military equipment that has fallen on the seafloor.

That Russia has been training dolphins for combat purposes is common knowledge. In fact, the history of training dolphins for military purposes goes back decades.

The first known program was started in the 1950s by the U.S. Navy. Dolphins and beluga whales were held in captivity and studied as a way of researching hydrodynamics – the U.S. Navy wanted to learn more about how these animals swim, and potentially use that research to develop new submarine technology. Although this was unsuccessful, they made other discoveries.

“That’s when they noticed them clicking,” explained Rose. “The dolphins were using echolocation, and up until the 1950s researchers were unaware of that.”

While the Soviet program began a few years after that of the U.S., it also made fascinating discoveries.

“One of the researchers in the Soviet Union discovered… that they (dolphins) sleep with only one half of their brain at a time,” Rose explained. They noticed that the dolphins would swim very slowly as a pod near the surface of the water with one eye closed and one eye open and that is how they discovered unihemispheric sleep, Rose continued...

... Although these discoveries were significant from a scientific perspective, they didn’t really translate to anything useful for the military in the ways they had intended.

“But, by then, they'd realized how smart they were,” Rose said.

Goldin explained that bottlenose dolphins are predominantly used in navy training programs.

“They have long term social ties, kinds of kinships and each group can even have their own cultural traditions.”

This level of intellect makes it easier to train the dolphins because they have the cognitive abilities and communication skills necessary to adapt and build relationships with their human trainers, Goldin explained...

... Scientists soon realized the dolphins could be used beyond the research lab – in combat. They are also incredibly good at noticing patterns and patrolling.

"They're trained to alert their trainer whenever they see something that's not supposed to be there... They don't have to be given an 'A, B, or C,' they can just be told 'anything that's not normal' and they'll alert their trainer," Rose explained.

It has been rumored that these dolphins were trained to attack enemy divers – one rumor even goes so far as to suggest that dolphins were trained by the Ukrainian Navy to carry underwater guns capable of shooting knives from their head.

Rose had strong doubts about this: "If a person is shot and reacts, and blood is in the water... I don't think (the dolphin would) ever do it again... each individual dolphin would do it once and never again because they are very sensitive to distress."

When the Soviet Union fell apart, so too did the training program.

The dolphins were transferred over to the Ukrainian Navy and put in a commercial dolphinarium. The dolphinarium's trainer, Boris Zhurid, then sold them to Iran because it was too expensive to feed them. Twenty-seven animals were thus transported to the Persian Gulf...

... When Russia occupied Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula in 2014 and the state oceanarium in Sevastopol was taken over, the dolphins were seized by the Russian military despite demands from Ukraine.

Former Ukrainian Defense Minister Yevhen Marchuk questioned whether the dolphins would work with Russia: "Dolphins get used to the people they work with. It's not so easy for them to change allegiance."

Babin explained back in 2018 that the dolphins had been trained with whistles and equipment, all of which Russia had received and yet the dolphins still refused to eat.

“It is very sad that many Ukrainian military personnel who were stationed in Crimea in 2014 treated the issue of the oath and allegiance much worse than these dolphins,” Babin said.

For a lot of people, including Goldin, using dolphins in the military is not only unethical but also pointless: “It is not only inhumane, I am fully convinced this is a crime."

"Secondly it is totally useless. It is like using elephants for combat in the 21st century. Ukraine uses underwater drones, which are very effective… Russia uses dolphins instead of drones. It is absurd. It is absolutely useless.”

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
if madmatt is checking the thread looking for book recommendations I'd start with "Ukraine in the Crossfire", it's not the best or deepest but it's not insanely long and does very well in explaining how this is a struggle between the west(NATO) and Russia, and not simply Ukraine and Russia, how much of the blame to how we got here is because of western hegemonic policy and not simply a matter of Ukraine "choosing" to not be with Russia anymore and Russia freaking out because of it.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I just want some frickin dolphins with guns on their heads!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Xaris posted:

I mean you aren't wrong it's an extension.

However, the actual "economic value" of an incarcerated underclass is actually pretty small, it really doesn't produce that much value for the plutocrats and it's a relatively small cottage industry of exploitation overall. much more importantly rather is the carceral state, coupled with the police state (and these two are irrevocably intertwined and fully-coupled), provide the most important utility which is labor suppression/discourage retribution against the plutocracy to make sure people don't get too uppity and get any funny ideas like [redacted].

there's also a reason why homeless exists because it's important to demonstrate to the masses that: a) the bottom of the barrel is always deeper, and b) if you get any funny ideas you'll get thrown into the barrel. it's to encourage a sort of socioeconomic stasis to be happy with the treats/wage you have

prison labor works like undocumented immigrant labor but even better because they can fill positions on the outside (i.e. fastfood, grocery, etc) after all what prisoner would not want a ticket to the outside? the regular hard labor ends up in a hell of a lot foodstuffs. Its effectively the government subsidizing industry by providing a hard bottom cap on elastic labor supply since most of this poo poo doesn't make money to begin with .

and ofc for all the reasons mentioned, also el classico MIC method of making locals economically tied to the carceral state

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
naturally its fallen away in importance per se, since globalization has supplanted it and it was way more obviously tied to southern power base reorganizing slaveholder interest into the legal framework imposed by the union, albeit weakly since nobody cared after that poo poo wrapped up.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Danann posted:

On Esoteric Stalinism

You're a socialist? Great, Stalin was one as well.
You're a fascist? Well, the workers didn't really own the means of production, so...
You're a Christian? Stalin had flown an Orthodox icon around the city in 1941!
You're an Atheist? He destroyed many churches!
You're Jewish? Stalin's USSR was the first state to recognize Israel!
You're anti-Jewish? Koba purged & killed a whole lot of them!
You're pro-Ukrainian? Stalin said that all the cities in the Ukraine should be "Ukrainized"
You're anti-Ukrainian? Great, because Stalin was responsible for a h*******r and he dealt with the banderists!

more like dialectical stalinism

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

my bony fealty posted:

the answer to the question in the first sentence is in the second sentence??

Yep, that's one of my favourite things about Stalin, the millions of deaths he was responsible for.

Nix Panicus posted:

I just want some frickin dolphins with guns on their heads!

Good news, dolphins are predators and are probably not as sensitive to things dying as this guy thinks.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

Yep, that's one of my favourite things about Stalin, the millions of deaths he was responsible for.

Which ones specifically?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The kulaks

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ardennes posted:

Which ones specifically?

Think really hard

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

Think really hard

Tell me first, get the calculator out

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Natbol fascists think that Stalin was the reincarnation of the Slavic iron-working god Svarog (basically Vulcan)

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
my favs were the however many latvians, those deaths were ftw

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

fanfic insert posted:

my favs were the however many latvians, those deaths were ftw

No comment

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
"Purged" as an ominous outcome is so funny, Deng Xiaoping got purged more times before noon than most people would be in their whole life

Dancer
May 23, 2011

yellowcar posted:

romanian is a romance language so there is a plausibility to that

how else would you explain this linguistic isolation

We have discussed at times in the past how a lot of things which pass as "objective truth", "the right way to do science" have roots in anti-communism, like Karl Popper.

I think of this video essay which argues that some fundamentals of mainstream "music theory" have fairly firm roots in German nationalism of the late 19th and early 20th century.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr3quGh7pJA

Romanian has Latin, Slavic, Turkish, Greek, Magyar, and who knows what other influences in it. Are we really sure that the people who studied linguistics and declared Romanian to be a "Romance language" weren't also (consciously or not) just trying to assert their masturbatory fantasies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Dacia generally ... "a Communist plot" ... Romanian nationalists ... can't read

no please, don't associate me with the falx or the draco or Zarmizegethousa, they're too cool and badass for me!!

i assumed we didn't know very much about the Getae/Dacians so it's great to learn it's actually just forbidden lore