Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HiFi rush was real fun and I wish it would get a sequel that fixed the first games rough edges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The ps3 was ftw. Loved that thing much more than the ps4.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bruteman posted:

So it looks like PC Game Pass added Populous: The Beginning, Sim City 3000 Unlimited and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack (the bundle with the original game and the Alien Crossfire expansion). I can't speak to those iterations of Populous and Sim City because I never played them, but SMAC is an all-time great 4X game, and that's coming from someone who is not normally a 4X fan.
There's actually a lot of EA's old classic games on EA Play (and therefore accessible to PC/Ultimate Game Pass subs). Hopefully this means they add more!

TheScott2K posted:

Whoever hid HiFi Rush from Microsoft and Todd did the world a real service
Apparently they, uh, didn't hide it. Part of the reason it got greenlit for full production was their prototype/tech demo getting passed around all the Zenimax studios and "going viral", so to speak.

Game Informer posted:

A producer at Bethesda did a lot of the legwork getting the publisher onboard, sending a demo first to the company's younger employees. As Johanas recalls, the different tone struck a chord. They'd come back claiming they'd played the 10-minute demo 15 times.

"Then it became like a rumor. It's like, 'Yo, I heard you got this thing. Can you get me in on that?'" Johanas says. "I still remember at some meeting, I think it was still early, and Todd Howard was there. He was like, 'I heard about this thing that you're making. When can I get an invite to this thing?' I was like, 'I dunno.'"

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I 100% Outer Worlds a few years back and I remember the Murder at Eridanos DLC being the closest it got to that classic Obsidian New Vegas storytelling

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Wiltsghost posted:

Avowed could be pretty good, I hope so at least.

The gameplay trailer made me less interested in it. But I'm also just very tired of fantasy stuff.

Except if it's Fable. Phil better show some Fable on June 9 or else.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The ps3 was ftw. Loved that thing much more than the ps4.

:hai:

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I still have my PS3 and play it from time to time because it still has games on it I've never played because I collected them faster than I could play. :filez: for life.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The PS3 is home to the last good console UI.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
i would trade hifi rush for the evil within 3

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Mung Dynasty posted:

i would trade hifi rush for the evil within 3

I would not

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2024/04/16/xbox-game-pass-april-2024-wave-2/

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finally years of not buying Orcs Must Die 3 pays off

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

webmeister posted:

I would not

:yossame:

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Bumhead posted:

Ew.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Hell yeah Dark Souls crab game is coming to Gamepass

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The xmb ftw.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

it still looks slick as hell today on a massive screen

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bumhead posted:

until you try accessing the playstation store, maybe

i will give it that it's a lot better than the horrible laggy piece of poo poo the 360 dashboard became by the end of its life

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Hell yeah, Harold Halibut is out today.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i will give it that it's a lot better than the horrible laggy piece of poo poo the 360 dashboard became by the end of its life
BRING

BACK

THE

BLADES

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Make UIs dark and ambient again like the menus for the Gamecube, PS2, and original XBOX.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hatty posted:

Make UIs dark and ambient again like the menus for the Gamecube, PS2, and original XBOX.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Kins posted:

BRING

BACK

THE

BLADES

for the 360's 20th anniversary next year (:ohno:) i really wanna find an original model xbox 360 that still has the blades and play a bunch of the launch games on it

that is close to impossible tho

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

The blades were fine in the olden days perhaps, but not anymore.

I like the current single-page UI. You can access almost everything you need without scrolling down. It's performant and accessible.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

absolute dogshit

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Not ambient enough

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
regardless of the ps5's merits as a "game" console i think everyone can agree that it's UI sucks buffalo rear end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

regardless of the ps5's merits as a "game" console i think everyone can agree that it's UI sucks buffalo rear end.

I prefer it to the X-Box Series one TBH, but they both suck total rear end.

I, genuinely, prefer the drat Switch UI this gen. It isn't good but at least everything is cleanly laid out without any real ads. X-Box is way way too messy and PS5 hides poo poo in the most obscure places so like finding a list of upcoming games is way more of a struggle than it should be.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It's been four years and I still confuse the button layout in the PS5 control center. The menu's functionality is fine but it's like they swapped what Start and X do

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

ImpAtom posted:

I, genuinely, prefer the drat Switch UI this gen.

:goofy:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Switch UI is good

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

console ui peaked with gamecube

for that matter so did console gaming in general

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Navigating the switch menus takes a long time. Opening and moving through the store is hilariously slow. On xbox I start my console press the xbox button and quick resume into one of the three games I'm currently playing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seltzer posted:

Navigating the switch menus takes a long time. Opening and moving through the store is hilariously slow. On xbox I start my console press the xbox button and quick resume into one of the three games I'm currently playing.

People are talking about the store/general UI. (Also like... if you're playing a Switch game then you leave it in rest mode and it just starts up instantly when you turn on the system.)

None of them are great but if you told me I had to pick one, I'd pick the one that is slow but clear.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

hatty posted:

Switch UI is good

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
The Xbox UI got much better, for me, in the last update where they pinned All Games/Store/Gamepass to the top of the screen while adding an additional tile to the Recently Played row. Dashboard Groups were sadly ruined as I can no longer see which titles were removed from Gamepass at a glance.

My only problem with the store is the full screen popups asking me if I'm enjoying my Store Experience, usually appearing two seconds after I've started browsing. Haven't seen any of them for a while so hopefully everyone responsible was arrested.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Kins posted:

BRING

BACK

THE

BLADES

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Kins posted:

BRING

BACK

THE

BLADES

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

John F Bennett posted:

Hell yeah, Harold Halibut is out today.

52 gigs for a walking sim!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

52 gigs for a walking sim!?

Yeah, I saw that last night and scratched my head.