Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
The decision to remove the eye spots is one of the biggest things I've noticed with my character and other people's posts. I never really gave it much thought before but it is glaringly noticeable in side by side pics. Hopefully this is something modable. I don't know if the new dynamic lighting eye spots will play nice with the old static one or if you'll have to decide to mod one at the loss of the other.

Mainwaring posted:

If YoshiP said on the stage at fanfest that everyone is getting a free fantasia then it's happening, he's more than senior enough to sign off on that. When he said he wasns't sure how they'll do it he was talking about the mechanics of delivering it to everyone

He's also too smart a public speaker to say something like that without it being a confirmed deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, it seemed to me to be more uncertainty around delivering it than whether it happens or not.

Do they send everyone a fantasia in the in-game mail, or give a redeemable code to the account's email? Do they just turn on the flag that using a fantasia flips when DT goes live so it's an automatic deal for everyone? Do they implement a new thing that's more like what WoW did when they had their first graphics push? Do they restrict it so you can change the features of your character but are unable to change your original race? Do they time limit it so only people who play within a certain period of launch get a free one? Do they tie it to a quest like the free ARR fantasia, so even players who start a new account after launch get one? Do they do something else I didn't come up with?

There's a lot of ways to go about it.

Sunday Morning posted:

The decision to remove the eye spots is one of the biggest things I've noticed with my character and other people's posts. I never really gave it much thought before but it is glaringly noticeable in side by side pics. Hopefully this is something modable. I don't know if the new dynamic lighting eye spots will play nice with the old static one or if you'll have to decide to mod one at the loss of the other.

Is it a decision to remove them? It seems to me to be an issue with the character creator which isn't present in the benchmark itself. Like, look at Qwertycoatl's screenshots:

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yeah the lighting etc has a big effect

Old:

New, looks flat and lifeless:

New, actually doing something, looks fine:

They're missing in the creator, but visible in the benchmark shot where she's on her Chocobo.

Onean fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 16, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also yeah, just tweak the settings and dont really pay attention the char creator. i genuinely wonder if the char creator and the actual benchmark are like, different builds in terms of how they render some of the character options

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The creator has always had poo poo for lighting, honestly

aers
Feb 15, 2012

the character creator doesnt run DLSS so im not sure its respecting your other configuration options either.

its definitely the same build though. theres only one exe.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The lighting of the character creator has always been terrible and them now having an actual lighting system makes it much worse. Things now have to have something to reflect to be reflective so it's making the lalafell eyes, lip gloss etc. seem dull in the character creator only because every possible room in them is ambiance lighting for some loving reason. I don't think it's a different build I think they just didn't improve the character creator

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

How hard is it to just put me in a white void with studio lighting

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Onean posted:

Yeah, it seemed to me to be more uncertainty around delivering it than whether it happens or not.

Do they send everyone a fantasia in the in-game mail, or give a redeemable code to the account's email? Do they just turn on the flag that using a fantasia flips when DT goes live so it's an automatic deal for everyone? Do they implement a new thing that's more like what WoW did when they had their first graphics push? Do they restrict it so you can change the features of your character but are unable to change your original race? Do they time limit it so only people who play within a certain period of launch get a free one? Do they tie it to a quest like the free ARR fantasia, so even players who start a new account after launch get one? Do they do something else I didn't come up with?

There's a lot of ways to go about it.

Is it a decision to remove them? It seems to me to be an issue with the character creator which isn't present in the benchmark itself. Like, look at Qwertycoatl's screenshots:

They're missing in the creator, but visible in the benchmark shot where she's on her Chocobo.

That's dynamic lighting, I'm fairly certain. It will mean that eyes will shine in light and be dull in darkness, rather than always sparkling.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

How hard is it to just put me in a white void with studio lighting

Can I instead interest you in a slightly cloudy 10 am natural lighting surrounded by trees?

Or maybe a very dim inn room, lit to hide the carpet stains?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the eye highlight thing is just the character creator being poo poo. that thing needs an overhaul more than any other part of the game honestly, i have no idea why they insist on defaulting to the ps2 bootscreen zone that reflects literally no environment you will actually experience in game, or why every 'actual' environment has 50 trees and rocks blocking the view.

you could just put the character in /gpose simulator and let the player adjust lighting themselves. you could just copy random parts of capital cities. anything other than this

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

It's the dynamic lighting yeah. The old shine was painted on, now it is actual reflective shine and the character creator lighting is awful enough to not show it off, leading to the eyes looking dead when they should be showing off how much better they look with a light source like in the benchmark itself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there are actual complaints with some of the changes (like mooncat fangs) but im pretty sure 80% of the complaints are a direct result of the character creator being awful

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Onean posted:

Were they maybe changed so they only show up when light is actually hitting her eyes? In the creator both shots have the light coming from behind, and in the benchmark scene the light is more from the front.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah thats exactly it. theyre actually reflective now, not just faux-reflective. so light has to hit them for them to look lit up. every single character creator location thats outdoors has a giant tree or rock blocking the light, the innroom has the windows closed, and the ps2 bootscreen dimension is only fake light.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also man messing around with char creation, elezen really do look way better

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
My catboy looks nearly perfect. But I’m wondering if the difference in his mouth is that the number it was assigned to has changed.

I do think that darker-skinned characters came out looking better overall. Maybe it’s just the character creator, but it feels like the paler characters wind up looking flattened by the lighting.

HellOnEarth fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 16, 2024

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Huh, I thought the highlights were currently dynamic. Though, now that I think about it, the way they currently do dynamic lighting on glasses would look even more awful on eyes than the glasses, so I don't know why I thought that.

Speaking of exactly that, it's actually one of the small things I'm super curious if they've improved. More natural dynamic light reflecting off the glasses and getting rid of the horrible polygonal glare that currently exists would do so much.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I can see up my Lalafell's nose now and I don't know if that is new or if I just never stared at my own nose before. It sure feels new.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There were a couple scenes of the WoL in full or near-full shadow that seemed to be there just to show off how you can actually fuckin see your dark-skinned character now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yea the lighting improvements are so much i had to actually darken my xaela a couple shades to keep her looking as dark as i was used to.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

My Roe thankfully still looks good in the new engine. The new normals make him look sliiightly different but I'm surprised at how similar he looks.

But yeah, the CC is probably to blame for 75% of the bad stuff. Some things are indeed from changes to the models (like I did notice that Miqo'te having different eyebrows) but like, how haven't they added a decent background for the CC.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think another issue is that previously white mooncats and white xaela just looked white but now the skintones are like, less washed out so you can actually see the blueish tone, and its really throwing people off

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

goblin week posted:

oh man i've never seen face 4 elezen in the wild

There are dozens of us. Dozens!

e: But yeah, as another dark-skinned face 4 elezen with a beard, the upgrade is significant.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 16, 2024

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

All catgirls look the same to me

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

If I want to augment my tome gear, does that still involve getting a coin for each alliance raid?

Does the 7.0 switchover make the oil/twine cost tomes, or does it just make it so the augmented gear is what gets sold?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Yes you need coins and 7.0 makes the augmented gear sold.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wish more games had something like the benchmark(but at a part of the actual game and not a separate thing). Being able to preview what your character will look like in motion and during cutscenes before you commit is really nice. Even if the lighting in CC wasn't terrible, it's still better to see your character in motion rather than just standing perfectly still+a handful of emotes when picking a voice.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I like that the character creator in the benchmark finally has combat sounds in the voice preview.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Oxyclean posted:

If I want to augment my tome gear, does that still involve getting a coin for each alliance raid?

Does the 7.0 switchover make the oil/twine cost tomes, or does it just make it so the augmented gear is what gets sold?

You can also buy the upgrade materials with sacks of nuts but that pretty much means you have to join hunt trains if you wanna do it in a reasonable timeframe.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

HackensackBackpack posted:

I like that the character creator in the benchmark finally has combat sounds in the voice preview.

Not sure if that will lead to more or less girlcat voice #5 being picked.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Not sure if that will lead to more or less girlcat voice #5 being picked.

What was the one Viera voice that was like "Huhhhhuhhuhhhuhhhhhh" -- I think they actually changed that.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

there is also the forbidden option of doing savage for tomestone upgrade mats. conveniently this time around the third fight in the tier is probably the easiest to farm, too

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Endorph posted:

yeah thats exactly it. theyre actually reflective now, not just faux-reflective. so light has to hit them for them to look lit up. every single character creator location thats outdoors has a giant tree or rock blocking the light, the innroom has the windows closed, and the ps2 bootscreen dimension is only fake light.

Yeah here's an example with my raen where you can see the shine in her left eye but not her right, because her hair is shading her eye.

She looks really pretty, so I'll probably swap to her after I do the MSQ as an elezen.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They also removed the black soot spot Hellsguard Roes have under their nose. I personally didn't like that so I'm not upset that it's gone but it's in the same category as Mooncat fangs of things some designer apparently didn't like and decided to change

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Oxyclean posted:

Upgrade mats can be bought with sacks of nuts instead (2000 for accessories, 3000 for left-side gear), except for weapons, which do need coins (or savage raid tokens). Weapons also have another upgrade past that, for clearing the savage criterion dungeon.

If past expansions are any indication, 7.0 will add an exchange option directly for poetics, and all the 6.x upgrade mats will be completely deprecated.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

They also removed the black soot spot Hellsguard Roes have under their nose. I personally didn't like that so I'm not upset that it's gone but it's in the same category as Mooncat fangs of things some designer apparently didn't like and decided to change
Seriously though what the hell was that supposed to be? Only thing I could think of was attempting to look like a nose pad except it didn't actually look like that at all.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I just realized changing your character's outfit for the benchmark changes the swords they use so now I have to run it a bunch of times to get a look at all the swords.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

HackensackBackpack posted:

I just realized changing your character's outfit for the benchmark changes the swords they use so now I have to run it a bunch of times to get a look at all the swords.

Have a video analyzing them all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8_hBC3-aVw

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Sweet, some cool items in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

catgirl stocks are falling? good thing I invested in Roecoin!