Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Shaggar posted:

also remaster new vegas, todd. jsawyer and you are both at microsoft now

yeah this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i just realized theres a chance dave foley could be in s2 of fallout

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Shaggar posted:

the bene gesserit but instead of creating the kwisatz haderach its actresses with huge eyes

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Shaggar posted:

i just realized theres a chance dave foley could be in s2 of fallout

christ yes. jon daly has been a treat enough but yes please

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Shaggar posted:

its what my character in the game would have done (altho my speech and/or sneak would have got me out of it)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Roosevelt posted:

i have been enjoying explaining some of the details to my wife, like that they use bottlecaps for money, and that guy just took a drug called psycho, and what a pip-boy does in the game. she is fascinated and astounded by my wisdom

yeah my fiance and i have only watched the first episode but i'm unsure of what details about the backstory i can share with her vs which i should hold back because it may be a part of the show later on

particularly how there's tons of different vaults and most of them are part of hosed up psycho-social experiments. or the different factions besides the vault dwellers, raiders, and brotherhood of steel that we've seen so far

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Shaggar posted:

the fallout tv macguffin being cold fusion is dumb as hell, but otherwise i enjoyed it. thank u todd

yeah it seemed like power was already a solved problem because fusion cores seem to work perfectly fine powering vaults for 200 years? when all the lights in the destroyed skyline turned on at the end it felt like the most pointless "victory" moment ever. I guess fusion cores are supposed to be rare or something I guess but also every BoS suit is using one

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 15, 2024

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah it both doesnt make sense in the universe for the reasons you mention and its a stupid hack writer buzz word that i hate.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

fallout ep 6 spoiler

it was really clear that she was gonna visit level 12 but like .. that was dumb as hell. If i have a fiction pet peeve, its time travel. If i have a second fiction pet peeve its otherwise smart characters making insanely stupid choices just to advance the plot line. The fallout show has been pretty good so far but this poo poo made me say "oh for fucks sake" out loud.

we both questioned the lack of lock-outs, keycards, or pip-boy aurhorized access with hearty :rolleyes:s

Shaggar posted:

idk, i think it works cause its what my character in the game would have done (altho my speech and/or sneak would have got me out of it)

likewise, same

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i've watched two episodes of fallout and it's so good. absolutely perfect. it's bursting at the seams with fanservice, which usually annoys me because every item is a wink-and-a-nudge with the camera and such, but they're just working all the little details in such that _if you know, you know_ and if you don't know, it's fine. i can't believe that amazon has done such a marvelous job so far

i can't wait until little jones is old enough to watch this. i will make him watch it with me and tell him about every single little game mechanic and doodad and so on worked in there. i'm paying my dues now with animal crossing and minecraft, but in a few years it'll be my turn to jabber on about a video game

buckle up, buddy

in other news, i watched through episode 8 of shogun, and was then very disappointed to find out that there are another couple episodes, and i have to wait for them to air. i though that i'd waited until it was complete to start watching. that said, shogun is really really good so i can't _really_ be disappointed that there's more of it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Achmed Jones posted:

in other news, i watched through episode 8 of shogun, and was then very disappointed to find out that there are another couple episodes, and i have to wait for them to air. i though that i'd waited until it was complete to start watching. that said, shogun is really really good so i can't _really_ be disappointed that there's more of it

ahh i was thinking of watching it, good to know it isnt terrible

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

the bene gesserit but instead of creating the kwisatz haderach its actresses with huge eyes

that’s just the regular bene gesserit

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Achmed Jones posted:

i'm paying my dues now with animal crossing and minecraft, but in a few years it'll be my turn to jabber on about a video game

lol my 9yo already knows more about dark souls than me. i've only finished it once and he has 3 times now. a few months back we were having a lazy games day because it was a blizzard outside and he did a full play through in one day

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

that’s just the regular bene gesserit

:hmmyes:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Shaggar posted:

idk, i think it works cause its what my character in the game would have done (altho my speech and/or sneak would have got me out of it)

lol

I actually thought her doing that made sense because she was in a vault - a place she believes to be almost inviolably safe, so going to level 12 wasn't stupid in the sense that there was any "real" danger there; and it turned out she was kinda right anyway

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

oh thank god you mentioned this, I planned to watch episodes 2-8 this week since I assumed the season was finished

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

lol

I actually thought her doing that made sense because she was in a vault - a place she believes to be almost inviolably safe, so going to level 12 wasn't stupid in the sense that there was any "real" danger there; and it turned out she was kinda right anyway

it’s funny on both sides because the security around level 12 consists entirely of asking people not to go there, plus i guess an alarm button

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that part was goofy since they're constantly assimilating people from the outside, so you think there'd be at least as much security there as there is for the quarantine room where Lucy and Max (and presumably all new additions) first drop in. so it's not like they're unaware of the need for security clearance, they just forgot to put some there

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i don't actually have anything to add to this conversation since i haven't watched the show in question. i just wanted to write something in spoiler tags. anyways, see ya.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

indigi posted:

oh thank god you mentioned this, I planned to watch episodes 2-8 this week since I assumed the season was finished

it makes me feel better that you almost did it too! and also that i can help prevent you from the same feeling, cause seriously man, episode 8 ends on a "poo poo's poppin off" note and i'm just like OH COME ONNNNNN

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

polyester concept posted:

... dark souls ... lazy games day

the kids are... are... :stonklol:

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

psiox posted:

yeah seriously, i'm so hooked

loved that at one point in a flashback walter goggins walks in front of a poster for the movie 'a man and his dog' lol. (god that movie was hosed)

i actually watched a boy and his dog last week. one of the nastiest, most depraved movies i've ever seen... and i kind of like that about it. the ending came as a genuine surprise to me, which is a rare experience that must be treasured.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
a boy and his dog is super hosed up

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

is it ever!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
well great i think im happy to avoid seeing that then, thanks for the heads up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it is pure 70s filth

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

hate to write off a whole decade but there you go

imagine if star wars had decided to go that way i mean lucas certainly is a filth monger when left to his own directions

be a rapier empire and c3p0 would probably melt your ears with his hot takes about it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if i gotta write off a whole decade I'm absolutely goin with the 70s

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
lol in episode 5 of fallout I thought the medical building for some reason suddenly had really lovely CGI, and then that happened

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ymgve posted:

lol in episode 5 of fallout I thought the medical building for some reason suddenly had really lovely CGI, and then that happened

i expected a dialog to appear saying "this door unlocks at another location" :argh:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Watching the fallout show and loving the set/props, we’re not finished yet but enjoying the story well enough so far; I’m glad they included some of the weirdness and humor of the fallout universe and didn’t focus exclusively on the misery (though there’s plenty of that).

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i lol'd a lot during ep 7

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/kyle_maclachlan/status/1779964488919191579?s=46&t=aXw7W5TiwDaOVtqp-9FOLA

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

i lol'd a lot during ep 7

just watched it and yeah, it's a good one. it's a great medley of odd encounters

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

polyester concept posted:

yeah it seemed like power was already a solved problem because fusion cores seem to work perfectly fine powering vaults for 200 years? when all the lights in the destroyed skyline turned on at the end it felt like the most pointless "victory" moment ever. I guess fusion cores are supposed to be rare or something I guess but also every BoS suit is using one

idk, the way cores are used and drained implies that efficiency is a crapshoot and remaining capacity is a gamble. there's also no way to replenish them in the games* iirc, so the knowledge and process to make them is presumably lost *(fo76 not withstanding? being the earliest game, the knowledge could be lost by fo1)

on the other side, fo4's Mass Fusion's work was in large-scale reliable fusion. the result was never deployed, which is part of the main story faction quests. depending on your choice, the brotherhood could have it by the time the prydwen returns in the show

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i finished fallout. final conclusion, as someone who’s never played the games: it was a good time. had potential to be full-on good, didn’t really live up to it, but that’s okay

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I really liked the fallout show but it’s almost impressive how much disdain they show towards the original games. I get that bethesda is the money maker but it all just feels spiteful.

Big fan of the vaults in this one. I thought vault 4 would be a generic evil one and was pleasantly surprised by the gag. Vault co being moustache twirling evil and dropping the nukes sucked but it got us more waltor goggins screentime so I’ll tolerate it

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

neosloth posted:

I really liked the fallout show but it’s almost impressive how much disdain they show towards the original games. I get that bethesda is the money maker but it all just feels spiteful.

Big fan of the vaults in this one. I thought vault 4 would be a generic evil one and was pleasantly surprised by the gag. Vault co being moustache twirling evil and dropping the nukes sucked but it got us more waltor goggins screentime so I’ll tolerate it

isnt vault tek dropping the nukes mentioned somewhere in the games, or am i misremembering? then again, the fallout 3 ufo dlc apparently claims aliens did it so who knows

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

neosloth posted:

Can you give some examples? I loved fallout 1 and 2 as a kid but haven’t played them in 20 years probably, but I’m reading old docs and the vaults being social experiments (for example) goes back to the original games, it just wasn’t as big a plot point as it is now

Vault tec corp morphing from “the company that made the vaults” to “the company that controls America” is a shift I agree but what else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the fred armisen bit felt like it was straight out of portlandia and it kinda felt out of place for a gag in fallout, but I still laughed