Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

juggalo baby coffin posted:

its unclear what hed really get out of daemonhood since hes already immortal. sigmar is younger than him

He didn't have true immortality, his true Corpse Maggot form could burrow into new bodies to live indefinitely, but he could still (and did) die.

Also being one of the sons of the Great Kurgan is simply a theory about his origins that he plays into, as there is no proof of it. Like it similarly theorized he was a corpse worm that grew on Nurgle's power until he became intelligent.

Even the game presents it as just rumors

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Azran posted:

I'll effort post a bit on it tomorrow but the newest lore in The Old World is pretty interesting, though a couple things are mostly retconning for the sake of making the AoS transition less of an rear end-pull.

But you have the great bit where it's confirmed that greenskins are not a species native to the world, they are instead alien lifeforms that came as stowaways in the old ones' ships lmao

I know they never will but I wish the Fantasy Old Ones got some explanation. Did they get anything in The End Times?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Grimnir not only departed past the northern horizon to fight chaos for eternity, he was still at it thousands of years of real-world time later when Gotrek showed up to stand in for him, fighting an infinite army of daemons in his stead and attaining the mightiest of all dooms.

That is, if you ascribe to the End Times heresy, instead of holding to Storm of Chaos orthodoxy like all right-thinking people.

So did that like, achieve anything? Because it seems like the dwarfs would not have been poorly off for having their war god around for... (gestures vaguely at the old world)

Not that he was any better in AoS, mind.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Azran posted:

But you have the great bit where it's confirmed that greenskins are not a species native to the world, they are instead alien lifeforms that came as stowaways in the old ones' ships lmao

IDK that sounds like one of the things I most disliked about AoS when it released (behind the godawful naming schemes), the 40K-ification of Fantasy. I never understood the appeal of making Fantasy fit into the 40K cosmology/lore, and moving Orcs/Chaos/Sigmar/etc closer to their related or equivalent 40K cousins.

I quit playing during end of 6th ed. though so not like I was the target audience. And for all I know 7/8th ed. Fantasy already started the above process - I wasn't paying attention at the time. It was the big news around AoS + TWW launching that got me to pay attention again in the first place.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Another change that might prove controversional: Malekith the Witch King is now Malerion the Dread King in TOW.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Malekith event where he forcibly confederates all high elf settlements and wood elf settlements somehow and everyone declares war on them out of pure confusion

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Malekith started going by Malerion when nobody else changed their name so I guess this is a consistency thing and a legal thing since Malekith was a marvel comics dark elf king first and they aren't prepared to gently caress with the mouse.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Also from actual mythology, so can't trademark it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Aurubin posted:

I know they never will but I wish the Fantasy Old Ones got some explanation. Did they get anything in The End Times?
There is some more Old One info in the Old World core book.

Caidin posted:

So did that like, achieve anything? Because it seems like the dwarfs would not have been poorly off for having their war god around for... (gestures vaguely at the old world)

Possibly. He went into the Realm of Chaos with his son, and started fighting. The Dwarves believe that's why the Chaos invasion stopped during that era.

Fun fact when Malekith made first contact with the Dwarfs and they told them about how Grimnir went to the Realm of Chaos to keep the tide of Daemons at bay, Malekith tried to correct them that Caledor Dragontamer is the one who banished the Daemons with the Vortex. His translator decided not to translate that comment, and said to Malekith there was no reason to start a fight over who stopped the Daemons. He pointed out that Grimnir could very well have been instrumental and the number of Daemons trying to stop Caledor were reduced by his efforts.

pizzabutt
Jul 19, 2022
The steam store page for the Elspeth dlc updated with these three new pictures

Wonder if this means that tomorrow we're getting the empire gameplay blog

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SirPhoebos posted:

Aelf starring Will Feral, a Kurgan chieftain

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is some more Old One info in the Old World core book.

Possibly. He went into the Realm of Chaos with his son, and started fighting. The Dwarves believe that's why the Chaos invasion stopped during that era.

Fun fact when Malekith made first contact with the Dwarfs and they told them about how Grimnir went to the Realm of Chaos to keep the tide of Daemons at bay, Malekith tried to correct them that Caledor Dragontamer is the one who banished the Daemons with the Vortex. His translator decided not to translate that comment, and said to Malekith there was no reason to start a fight over who stopped the Daemons. He pointed out that Grimnir could very well have been instrumental and the number of Daemons trying to stop Caledor were reduced by his efforts.

That rules, lol. A High elf who met the guy who did it having to diplomatically determine whether or not to tell the dwarfs their closely-held ancestral worship is bullshit

It's funny that elfs mostly look at the non-elf races as bodies to be tricked/"inspired" into dying for their random causes. Elfs gave humans magic so that the humans would use it in their war against chaos where humans did almost all of the fighting/dying. Basically the exact same thing as a real-life noble shoving a gun into a peasant's hands and pointing them in a direction

jokes fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 15, 2024

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jokes posted:

Elfs gave humans magic so that the humans would use it in their war against chaos where humans did almost all of the fighting/dying. Basically the exact same thing as a real-life noble shoving a gun into a peasant's hands and pointing them in a direction

And it's great because the lizardmen did exactly the same thing to them. The slann taught the early elves magic so that the elves could put up a decent fight against Chaos when the slann were too busy elsewhere.

Teclis is the one who taught the first humans proper magic.

Mazdamundi is the one who taught the first elves proper magic.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The elfs learned well from their slimy masters, they're great at magic and manipulating the gently caress out of lesser races.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

SirPhoebos posted:

Untrue, actually -- I too thought there had to be some sort of common inspiration there but no, GW shamelessly nicked the concept of a dark elf king named Malekith from Marvel and now they've found the one company better at law-bullying than them

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I hope the Malekith movie is the death knell of the MCU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Twigand Berries posted:

I hope the Malekith movie is the death knell of the MCU

How'd this post from 2013 show up here? Spoiler it is more than ten years since Thor 2 and they are still coming out with movies.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Caidin posted:

Yes, he's why daemons can't just return to life right away when they die. They have to get past him first.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

How'd this post from 2013 show up here? Spoiler it is more than ten years since Thor 2 and they are still coming out with movies.

Marvel gonna go bankrupt like CA gonna be sold to Microsoft soon!!!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Yes, he's why daemons can't just return to life right away when they die. They have to get past him first.

Ah, okay that's rad. Good Job Grimnir and also Gotrek.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Azran posted:

Another change that might prove controversional: Malekith the Witch King is now Malerion the Dread King in TOW.

death

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I've been having a blast listening to Sotek and Andy Law (one of GW's main writers for a bunch of WFRP and WHFB stuff) geek out about Warhammer lore during their streams. I also want to take a moment to say Andy Law is a goddamn treasure; it's already rare enough to have someone in the Warhammer YT sphere that's tremendously progressive in their outlook, but a 50-something white Scottish man who also worked at GW? It's pretty cool! Just now I was listening to one of his complaints about how he'd envisioned the Ostland elector as coming from a much more Eastern European culture than the rest of the Empire and that back then it bothered some people at GW a good deal since they wanted a white, mono-culturally German-inspired Empire. And then he followed up on that by adding GW really should consider hiring trans writers to explore the role of transgender people in Bretonnian and Kislevite societies :allears: Just top notch stuff coming from someone whose Youtube handle is "OLDhammered".

Azran fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 16, 2024

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Azran posted:

I've been having a blast listening to Sotek and Andy Law (one of GW's main writers for a bunch of WFRP and WHFB stuff) geek out about Warhammer lore during their streams. I also want to take a moment to say Andy Law is a goddamn treasure; it's already rare enough to have someone in the Warhammer YT sphere that's tremendously progressive in their outlook (just now I'm hearing him speak about), but a 50-something white Scottish man who also worked at GW? It's pretty cool! Just now I was listening to one of his complaints about how he'd envisioned the Ostland elector as coming from a much more Eastern European culture than the rest of the Empire and that back then it bothered some people at GW a good deal since they wanted a white, mono-culturally German-inspired Empire. And then he followed up on that by adding GW really should consider hiring trans writers to explore the role of transgender people in Bretonnian and Kislevite societies :allears: Just top notch stuff coming from someone whose Youtube handle is "OLDhammered".

I'll echo this, by all accounts Andy Law is Good People. Same with Loremaster, which is part of why I follow him so much. Both super solid people who aren't shitheads and are crazy into warhammer is a...sadly rare thing it seems. But maybe its just an issue these days of the shitheads being the loudest?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Isn't sotek the biggest of the rambling warham channels? He is chill and made a statement about being chill ages ago during one of warhammer's usual toxic collective meltdowns.

Goonhammer had to close their FB comments on an article about there being a woman custodes yesterday. Hams always mad at some poo poo.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Sotek's a bit rambly but it's mostly lore rambling, it's very innocuous but it does make for long vids. The entirety of his contribution to Legend's """leaks""" was "lmao why would you even listen to that"

Azran fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 16, 2024

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

JBP posted:

Isn't sotek the biggest of the rambling warham channels? He is chill and made a statement about being chill ages ago during one of warhammer's usual toxic collective meltdowns.

Goonhammer had to close their FB comments on an article about there being a woman custodes yesterday. Hams always mad at some poo poo.

Yup, milkandcookies for the by the book stats updates on stuff with minimal lore diving, sotek for the "you turned a 15 minute into a 50 minute one and I didn't mind, cool!".

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

JBP posted:

honestly should've used it as a honeypot and mass banned everyone being a fuckhead, but i cant blame them for not wanting to touch the poop

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

toasterwarrior posted:

honestly should've used it as a honeypot and mass banned everyone being a fuckhead, but i cant blame them for not wanting to touch the poop

GW have stopped respecting the lore!

My friend, I have been waiting 25 years for them to start.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
my experience with warhammer chuds is laughing at babies mad that there's women in the custodes now while they're all whining about The Sudden Lore Change, and then when they get tilted they immediately trot out the vilest racist and sexist poo poo in response

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Only men can experience the sci fi magic necessary to be transformed into something superhuman. Mere women would only be transformed into inferior superhumans!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Doomykins posted:

Only men can experience the sci fi magic necessary to be transformed into something superhuman. Mere women would only be transformed into inferior superhumans!

the brettonian damsels would like a word

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
He doesn't do fantasy stuff but Arbiter Ian is also a good lore person. He recently did a vid about how a lot of the toxicity in the 40k community comes from click bait content creators making it worse (though obviously they aren't the sole reason and he goes over that in the vid)

https://youtu.be/x4oW6CzIsIE?si=LOrP9-zTSZH02DYR

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I wonder if this DLC/patch is also going to bring in the actual Elector Countess of Wissenland from the tabletop, the Empire's one ruling woman elector. She got randomly replaced by a dude in these games.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Presumably Elspeth will take over as the faction leader of Nulm/Wissenland. Emmanuelle von Liebwitz will likely be relegated to being name dropped in dilemmas, if she appears at all.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I dont know posted:

Presumably Elspeth will take over as the faction leader of Nulm/Wissenland. Emmanuelle von Liebwitz will likely be relegated to being name dropped in dilemmas, if she appears at all.

The phoenix king treatment

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

I dont know posted:

Probably, but I do wish they could do the thing where your faction leader and LL weren't the same person and make von Liebwitz the faction leader.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Janet vid showing Gelt's in Cathay now. Hell yeah

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

https://community.creative-assembly.com/total-war/total-war-warhammer/blogs/14-thrones-of-decay-introducing-elspeth-von-draken

Blog on the Empire DLC + updates to base lords and mechanics.

This is some seriously excellent stuff!

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Ravenfood posted:

Probably, but I do wish they could do the thing where your faction leader and LL weren't the same person and make von Liebwitz the faction leader.

Aren't all the Skaven LL actually the second in command of their faction, and the actual faction leaders are relegated to council of 13 politics and schemes full time?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DaysBefore posted:

Janet vid showing Gelt's in Cathay now. Hell yeah

Hell yeah, shake up the joint. I wonder if they'll move anyone else to The Snore Zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
LOL gelt